planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:57 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 4279
Hi all, as part of our long-standing tradition, I present to you this year's MotoGP thread! It's looking like Ducati are a serious title threat this season. We'll see if they can put together a genuine title push but the bike certainly seems up to it.

Yamaha look to clearly have the edge over Honda again this year. I think Lorenzo has to be the favorite. Can't wait for the race!


Last edited by sandman1347 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2501
Would be good to see if Dovi can mount a title push. Even better, more close racing at the front.

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 3545
I am more excited about this season than I have been for some time, and that's with the sport never having a poor season.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 622
Location: McKinney, TX
Absolutely stoked for this year's edition. It certainly looks like the unified electronics and michelin tires will change things up a bit----and the electronics move something I'm glad has happened, everyone has been moved closer together.

Ducatis have certainly benefitted from this---and my god, what an engine they've produced again. Iannone clocked at 216mph down the straight in FP3.

Maverick Vinales the rider to watch this year, he's the newly appointed "alien". :thumbup:

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 1120
I seem to be the only one here who isn't very excited. Lorenzo seems to have the legs over Rossi. Honda do not seem close enough. And I believe even if Ducati was the fastest, they will not trouble Lorenzo over a championship at all, because the riders are quite inferior to Yamaha and Honda.
I see a relatively comfortable championship for Lorenzo, but I really hope I'm proven wrong by a Marquez wringing his slower bike around, ala Schumacher 1997.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 4279
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I seem to be the only one here who isn't very excited. Lorenzo seems to have the legs over Rossi. Honda do not seem close enough. And I believe even if Ducati was the fastest, they will not trouble Lorenzo over a championship at all, because the riders are quite inferior to Yamaha and Honda.
I see a relatively comfortable championship for Lorenzo, but I really hope I'm proven wrong by a Marquez wringing his slower bike around, ala Schumacher 1997.

What you've described here certainly seems possible. I think that the silly season presents some interesting possibilities as Ducati will almost certainly present another top-level bike now and that means two seats that will be highly desired. I know they have gone after Lorenzo hard but it seems to me that Vinales is the likely candidate for that bike in 2017.

But I agree with what ColdGin said above. Ducati is in great shape. The engine really brings that wow-factor to the races just like their 2007 engine. I think their rider line-up will ultimately let them down and they need to hire an alien of their own ASAP.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 622
Location: McKinney, TX
Rossi and Yamaha announce 2 more years together! Rossi's form in Qatar apparently is such that waiting any longer was unnecessary, despite previous notions of "waiting to see my competitiveness".

http://m.crash.net/motogp/news/228591/1 ... -2018.html

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 4279
Jorge Lorenzo on pole as expected. Maverick Vinales is the man of the day though! Very impressive! With Rossi renewing his Yamaha deal, Maverick must be considering that Ducati ride quite seriously and Ducati would be fools not to snatch him up. Of course Suzuki might become a legitimate contender themselves.

This season will be very exciting indeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:31 am
Posts: 1630
Lorenzo will walk away with the championship. The individual races would certainly be exciting as is the case with MotoGP, but the overall championship battle will be the dullest it's been in ages.

Looking forward to races, but have no interest in the championship at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23908
ReservoirDog wrote:
Lorenzo will walk away with the championship. The individual races would certainly be exciting as is the case with MotoGP, but the overall championship battle will be the dullest it's been in ages.

Looking forward to races, but have no interest in the championship at all.

I'm puzzled by this, MotoGP is the most competitive it's ever been, such an high expected standard, I guess it shows you can find fault in everything.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23908
Cold Gin wrote:
Absolutely stoked for this year's edition. It certainly looks like the unified electronics and michelin tires will change things up a bit----and the electronics move something I'm glad has happened, everyone has been moved closer together.

Ducatis have certainly benefitted from this---and my god, what an engine they've produced again. Iannone clocked at 216mph down the straight in FP3.

Maverick Vinales the rider to watch this year, he's the newly appointed "alien". :thumbup:

Are Ducati still running to favoured rules, I'm guessing they are?

If so then this needs sorting sooner rather than later.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 4279
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
Absolutely stoked for this year's edition. It certainly looks like the unified electronics and michelin tires will change things up a bit----and the electronics move something I'm glad has happened, everyone has been moved closer together.

Ducatis have certainly benefitted from this---and my god, what an engine they've produced again. Iannone clocked at 216mph down the straight in FP3.

Maverick Vinales the rider to watch this year, he's the newly appointed "alien". :thumbup:

Are Ducati still running to favoured rules, I'm guessing they are?

If so then this needs sorting sooner rather than later.

Nope they have the same rules applied to their bikes this season. Fortunately for them they now have the same electronics as the big boys from Japan. Might be their best season since 2009.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 622
Location: McKinney, TX
Already??? Tomorrow can't get here fast enough!

http://m.crash.net/motogp/news/228625/1 ... -want.html

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23908
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
Absolutely stoked for this year's edition. It certainly looks like the unified electronics and michelin tires will change things up a bit----and the electronics move something I'm glad has happened, everyone has been moved closer together.

Ducatis have certainly benefitted from this---and my god, what an engine they've produced again. Iannone clocked at 216mph down the straight in FP3.

Maverick Vinales the rider to watch this year, he's the newly appointed "alien". :thumbup:

Are Ducati still running to favoured rules, I'm guessing they are?

If so then this needs sorting sooner rather than later.

Nope they have the same rules applied to their bikes this season. Fortunately for them they now have the same electronics as the big boys from Japan. Might be their best season since 2009.

So they have the same fuel allowance now?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 4279
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
Absolutely stoked for this year's edition. It certainly looks like the unified electronics and michelin tires will change things up a bit----and the electronics move something I'm glad has happened, everyone has been moved closer together.

Ducatis have certainly benefitted from this---and my god, what an engine they've produced again. Iannone clocked at 216mph down the straight in FP3.

Maverick Vinales the rider to watch this year, he's the newly appointed "alien". :thumbup:

Are Ducati still running to favoured rules, I'm guessing they are?

If so then this needs sorting sooner rather than later.

Nope they have the same rules applied to their bikes this season. Fortunately for them they now have the same electronics as the big boys from Japan. Might be their best season since 2009.

So they have the same fuel allowance now?

yup


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:33 pm
Posts: 13
Gonna be fun! This is definitely the premier racing series that I look forward to the most. :)

They've managed to get three manufacturers all with bikes and teams that can compete for a win, and a fourth that's not too far behind and gaining fast. Seems like in every race now the first three or even four rows of the grid are filled with bikes that seem to be very competitive.

And while Honda had been seemingly a step behind Yamaha, they seem to have caught up, at least for qualifying. Have to see who runs well on the new tires at race distances of course to see who's got real strength. But seems very possible that Yamaha, Honda and Ducati can all win races this season, and Suzuki is nipping right on their heels. That's called 'fun racing'. :) :)

Yoo-Hoo! Its back!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:33 pm
Posts: 13
I think they still give a bit of an edge to some of the newer manufacturers that haven't won yet. I think I heard a broadcast going on about how many engines
a team could use in a season, and the teams like Suzuki or Aprilla got more. Not sure about Ducati, but I think they may be even with Yamaha and Honda now. But in terms of a race weekend, no more 'open class' and its the same rules for everyone. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 4279
marc420 wrote:
Gonna be fun! This is definitely the premier racing series that I look forward to the most. :)

They've managed to get three manufacturers all with bikes and teams that can compete for a win, and a fourth that's not too far behind and gaining fast. Seems like in every race now the first three or even four rows of the grid are filled with bikes that seem to be very competitive.

And while Honda had been seemingly a step behind Yamaha, they seem to have caught up, at least for qualifying. Have to see who runs well on the new tires at race distances of course to see who's got real strength. But seems very possible that Yamaha, Honda and Ducati can all win races this season, and Suzuki is nipping right on their heels. That's called 'fun racing'. :) :)

Yoo-Hoo! Its back!

I don't wanna jinx it. We have to see how the races play out. It seems possible that we might have pack racing at the front for the first time in a while but we can't be certain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23908
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
Absolutely stoked for this year's edition. It certainly looks like the unified electronics and michelin tires will change things up a bit----and the electronics move something I'm glad has happened, everyone has been moved closer together.

Ducatis have certainly benefitted from this---and my god, what an engine they've produced again. Iannone clocked at 216mph down the straight in FP3.

Maverick Vinales the rider to watch this year, he's the newly appointed "alien". :thumbup:

Are Ducati still running to favoured rules, I'm guessing they are?

If so then this needs sorting sooner rather than later.

Nope they have the same rules applied to their bikes this season. Fortunately for them they now have the same electronics as the big boys from Japan. Might be their best season since 2009.

So they have the same fuel allowance now?

yup

Ok cheers :thumbup:

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 622
Location: McKinney, TX
Andre Iannone sets the all time top speed record by hitting the traps at 218.2 mph in pre-race warmup.
That's incredible on a motorcycle, insane.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 3545
MOTO 3 is Goooooooooooooooooo!

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:58 pm
Posts: 56
Would love to be watching todays race... but seems Directv has other sports in mind to broadcast :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:48 pm
Posts: 1120
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
I seem to be the only one here who isn't very excited. Lorenzo seems to have the legs over Rossi. Honda do not seem close enough. And I believe even if Ducati was the fastest, they will not trouble Lorenzo over a championship at all, because the riders are quite inferior to Yamaha and Honda.
I see a relatively comfortable championship for Lorenzo, but I really hope I'm proven wrong by a Marquez wringing his slower bike around, ala Schumacher 1997.


Just like I predicted, it doesn't matter how strong the Ducati is, the riders are plain inferior. The faster Ducati rider already out, without even a battle, just falls off. They need Stoner to come back. Otherwise it's a waste of a stunning bike.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 4279
I really enjoyed the race! A few things I'd point out.

1. MotoGp could really show F1 a thing or two about how to make thoughtful rule changes and how to improve the show. Standardizing the electronics was a great move (yes I know F1 has a standard ECU). Basically Yamaha and Honda had too big of an advantage in this department for others to catch up. It will take time to assess the tires properly but, judging by the fact that Lorenzo put in the fastest lap with only 2 laps to go in the race, I'd say they look promising.

In terms of the show, I love the interesting new graphics like the dynamic distance indicator that they now use on the onboard shots. The slow motion shots in general are great.

2. Ducati have clearly the best engine by a mile! This is almost like 2007. IN fact, I'd go out on a limb and say that they have at least the second best bike. Only Yamaha might have a better overall package but I actually doubt it. Considering how impressive Vinales has been, I really hope he ends up on that team. Either that or Jorge goes to Ducati and Maverick to Yamaha. I just don't think that either Andre or Dovi are on the same level as the likes of Lorenzo and Marquez.

3. While Suzuki have made admirable progress, their engine will prevent them from being a legitimate contender. I'm very impressed with Maverick but I think he'll need to switch teams after this season in order to make further progress in MotoGP.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 6836
Location: Belgium
Great race!

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 3545
DORNA continue to amaze me. Moto GP has been a better TV package than F1 for years, yet every year they still improve it. Considering the significant difference in size between a bike and a car, they still manage to package the technology in for multiple cameras and data gathering equipment which us fans can enjoy.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 1907
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales
Is it just me or did Rossi not look as hungry in Qatar? Compared to Lorenzo he seemed content to just tread water. He took half a look at Marquez, then later had a bit of a nibble at Dovi, but never really looked like he could pull anything off. Disappointing for a rider of his calibre, especially as he's just signed for another 2 years. I didn't think I'd be saying this after last year but I think he's starting to fade a little. Considering the hunger he showed right to the last lap in 2015, that just seems to have vanished over the winter. Hopefully it comes back soon, or we could end up seeing Lorenzo running away with this, no matter how close the Ducati pair tail him.

_________________
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 4279
Tufty wrote:
Is it just me or did Rossi not look as hungry in Qatar? Compared to Lorenzo he seemed content to just tread water. He took half a look at Marquez, then later had a bit of a nibble at Dovi, but never really looked like he could pull anything off. Disappointing for a rider of his calibre, especially as he's just signed for another 2 years. I didn't think I'd be saying this after last year but I think he's starting to fade a little. Considering the hunger he showed right to the last lap in 2015, that just seems to have vanished over the winter. Hopefully it comes back soon, or we could end up seeing Lorenzo running away with this, no matter how close the Ducati pair tail him.

I don't think it's a question of hunger. I think it's about speed. Valentino no longer has the raw speed of guys like Jorge and Marc. We saw this last year as well but both Marc and Jorge had several crashes that kept Rossi in the title fight just based on consistency. On his day, Valentino can still be pretty quick but on outright pace, he hasn't been the fastest in MotoGP for a while now.

Personally, I don't think he'll be nearly as close to Jorge in the title fight this season as he was last year. I think last year was likely his last good shot at the title. I wouldn't put anything past him but I just don't see it. I'd actually be surprised if Rossi races two more years after this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23908
Cold Gin wrote:
Andre Iannone sets the all time top speed record by hitting the traps at 218.2 mph in pre-race warmup.
That's incredible on a motorcycle, insane.

I'm just wondering how have Ducati managed to get such an advantage with the engine?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23908
sandman1347 wrote:
Tufty wrote:
Is it just me or did Rossi not look as hungry in Qatar? Compared to Lorenzo he seemed content to just tread water. He took half a look at Marquez, then later had a bit of a nibble at Dovi, but never really looked like he could pull anything off. Disappointing for a rider of his calibre, especially as he's just signed for another 2 years. I didn't think I'd be saying this after last year but I think he's starting to fade a little. Considering the hunger he showed right to the last lap in 2015, that just seems to have vanished over the winter. Hopefully it comes back soon, or we could end up seeing Lorenzo running away with this, no matter how close the Ducati pair tail him.

I don't think it's a question of hunger. I think it's about speed. Valentino no longer has the raw speed of guys like Jorge and Marc. We saw this last year as well but both Marc and Jorge had several crashes that kept Rossi in the title fight just based on consistency. On his day, Valentino can still be pretty quick but on outright pace, he hasn't been the fastest in MotoGP for a while now.

Personally, I don't think he'll be nearly as close to Jorge in the title fight this season as he was last year. I think last year was likely his last good shot at the title. I wouldn't put anything past him but I just don't see it. I'd actually be surprised if Rossi races two more years after this one.

I think you saw this in qualifying were Rossi was looking for a tow for a fast time, something that neither Lorenzo or Marquez need to do. As far as his subdued race is concerned I think Rossi these days just plays the long game collecting decent points in each race and relying on consistency were others might make mistakes, Iannone has binned it already.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 622
Location: McKinney, TX
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
Andre Iannone sets the all time top speed record by hitting the traps at 218.2 mph in pre-race warmup.
That's incredible on a motorcycle, insane.

I'm just wondering how have Ducati managed to get such an advantage with the engine?


Engineering, mate.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10801
Moto2 > Moto3 > MotoGP for me this weekend. Moto2 was an absolutely mad race with a number of riders making a jumpstart, then being penalized at various stages in the race. Rins carved through the field and returned to an incredible 8th. Although the different measures were weird - Morbidelli only got 20 seconds added to his time at the end of the race while Rins, who rode faster pretty much all race long, had to take a drive through at the beginning and still ended up behind Morbidelli. That was weird.

Moto3 was the usual great draft racing and close battles in packs with even a rookie in the mix at the front.

MotoGP, I didn't really think it was a great race.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23908
Cold Gin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
Andre Iannone sets the all time top speed record by hitting the traps at 218.2 mph in pre-race warmup.
That's incredible on a motorcycle, insane.

I'm just wondering how have Ducati managed to get such an advantage with the engine?


Engineering, mate.

This from a Ducati fan :lol:

No I was just wondering if they gained any advantage from last year when they were allowed to develop their engine whilst the Honda and Yamaha engines were frozen in development?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23908
mds wrote:
Moto2 > Moto3 > MotoGP for me this weekend. Moto2 was an absolutely mad race with a number of riders making a jumpstart, then being penalized at various stages in the race. Rins carved through the field and returned to an incredible 8th. Although the different measures were weird - Morbidelli only got 20 seconds added to his time at the end of the race while Rins, who rode faster pretty much all race long, had to take a drive through at the beginning and still ended up behind Morbidelli. That was weird.

Moto3 was the usual great draft racing and close battles in packs with even a rookie in the mix at the front.

MotoGP, I didn't really think it was a great race.

I actually thought the Moto2 race was terrible with most of the leading contenders penalised and out of the race on lap 1, this was further compounded by the incompetence of the race director who gave a different penalty to the other 2 riders who jumped the start much to their benefit.

MotoGP was clearly better than Moto2, for the most part there was a 4 way battle for the lead, unlike Moto2 were there was only 2 riders battling for the win, one of which had to serve a 20 second penalty.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10801
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
Moto2 > Moto3 > MotoGP for me this weekend. Moto2 was an absolutely mad race with a number of riders making a jumpstart, then being penalized at various stages in the race. Rins carved through the field and returned to an incredible 8th. Although the different measures were weird - Morbidelli only got 20 seconds added to his time at the end of the race while Rins, who rode faster pretty much all race long, had to take a drive through at the beginning and still ended up behind Morbidelli. That was weird.

Moto3 was the usual great draft racing and close battles in packs with even a rookie in the mix at the front.

MotoGP, I didn't really think it was a great race.

I actually thought the Moto2 race was terrible with most of the leading contenders penalised and out of the race on lap 1, this was further compounded by the incompetence of the race director who gave a different penalty to the other 2 riders who jumped the start much to their benefit.

MotoGP was clearly better than Moto2, for the most part there was a 4 way battle for the lead, unlike Moto2 were there was only 2 riders battling for the win, one of which had to serve a 20 second penalty.


Eh, in terms of excitement, MotoGP race for me just wasn't too fantastic. Lorenzo was gone soon enough, and Rossi ending up fourth was something we knew from the beginning, didn't we?

Moto2 was a thrill from start to end. Rins' amazing recovery alone was worth more than anything I saw in MotoGP. And Morbidelli's penalty might have been annoying, we did see them battling all race long and switching positions multiple times. Just a batsh*t crazy race all around.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23908
mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
Moto2 > Moto3 > MotoGP for me this weekend. Moto2 was an absolutely mad race with a number of riders making a jumpstart, then being penalized at various stages in the race. Rins carved through the field and returned to an incredible 8th. Although the different measures were weird - Morbidelli only got 20 seconds added to his time at the end of the race while Rins, who rode faster pretty much all race long, had to take a drive through at the beginning and still ended up behind Morbidelli. That was weird.

Moto3 was the usual great draft racing and close battles in packs with even a rookie in the mix at the front.

MotoGP, I didn't really think it was a great race.

I actually thought the Moto2 race was terrible with most of the leading contenders penalised and out of the race on lap 1, this was further compounded by the incompetence of the race director who gave a different penalty to the other 2 riders who jumped the start much to their benefit.

MotoGP was clearly better than Moto2, for the most part there was a 4 way battle for the lead, unlike Moto2 were there was only 2 riders battling for the win, one of which had to serve a 20 second penalty.


Eh, in terms of excitement, MotoGP race for me just wasn't too fantastic. Lorenzo was gone soon enough, and Rossi ending up fourth was something we knew from the beginning, didn't we?

Moto2 was a thrill from start to end. Rins' amazing recovery alone was worth more than anything I saw in MotoGP. And Morbidelli's penalty might have been annoying, we did see them battling all race long and switching positions multiple times. Just a batsh*t crazy race all around.

I actually recorded the race and when I saw all the riders receive ride through penalties I was so disappointed I just fast forwarded to the last 6 laps.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:08 pm
Posts: 3767
Not much has changed from last year it seems. Yamaha still best, Ducati 2nd, and Honda 3rd, all close. Marquez should be back to the very top once Honda improves a bit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2501
mds wrote:
Moto2 > Moto3 > MotoGP for me this weekend. Moto2 was an absolutely mad race with a number of riders making a jumpstart, then being penalized at various stages in the race. Rins carved through the field and returned to an incredible 8th. Although the different measures were weird - Morbidelli only got 20 seconds added to his time at the end of the race while Rins, who rode faster pretty much all race long, had to take a drive through at the beginning and still ended up behind Morbidelli. That was weird.

Moto3 was the usual great draft racing and close battles in packs with even a rookie in the mix at the front.

MotoGP, I didn't really think it was a great race.
I guess the carving-his-way-back-through-the-field lost Rins a little overall pace which kept him behind Morbedlli after the post-race penalty. I was wondering what if Morbidelli and Luthi had crashed (had Luthi known he didn't need to race Morbidelli...)?

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23908
tootsie323 wrote:
mds wrote:
Moto2 > Moto3 > MotoGP for me this weekend. Moto2 was an absolutely mad race with a number of riders making a jumpstart, then being penalized at various stages in the race. Rins carved through the field and returned to an incredible 8th. Although the different measures were weird - Morbidelli only got 20 seconds added to his time at the end of the race while Rins, who rode faster pretty much all race long, had to take a drive through at the beginning and still ended up behind Morbidelli. That was weird.

Moto3 was the usual great draft racing and close battles in packs with even a rookie in the mix at the front.

MotoGP, I didn't really think it was a great race.
I guess the carving-his-way-back-through-the-field lost Rins a little overall pace which kept him behind Morbedlli after the post-race penalty. I was wondering what if Morbidelli and Luthi had crashed (had Luthi known he didn't need to race Morbidelli...)?

In truth the race was a farce and that's why I can't class it as a good race.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MotoGP 2016
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 3034
Has there been any formal statement regarding the Moto2 'flicker'?

_________________
AlienTurnedHuman wrote:
Eurytus probably thought he was God. At least until he was banned. Which means if he was God, it makes me very scared of PF1-Mod.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Banana Man and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group