planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:47 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
GPwho? GP2 is to be rebranded FIA's F2 series with immediate effect. Not a particularly surprising move seeing as they've wanted a F2 series for a while (indeed, when I went to Goodwood last year, they had an FIA tent which highlighted the different FIA feeder series. Where it listed F2 it simply had 'to be determined' or something like that besides it. Bit awkward!)

No word on whether GP3 will continue as GP3 or be otherwise rebranded; I assume it would remain as GP3 on the basis that there is already an FIA F3 series.

So does that mean they will get the Super License points for F2 or GP2. Or am I behind and that difference went away?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:26 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
GPwho? GP2 is to be rebranded FIA's F2 series with immediate effect. Not a particularly surprising move seeing as they've wanted a F2 series for a while (indeed, when I went to Goodwood last year, they had an FIA tent which highlighted the different FIA feeder series. Where it listed F2 it simply had 'to be determined' or something like that besides it. Bit awkward!)

No word on whether GP3 will continue as GP3 or be otherwise rebranded; I assume it would remain as GP3 on the basis that there is already an FIA F3 series.

So does that mean they will get the Super License points for F2 or GP2. Or am I behind and that difference went away?

Well, last year it was GP2, so last year's drivers will get points for the GP2 results I guess.

As for GP3, I think they're in trouble now. The FIA is clear about this, they want a clear ladder: national F4, national F3, Euro F3, F2, F1. GP3 does not fit in their plans.

So the options... Either they merge with F3, possibly continuing with the GP3 car, or they just stop existing? Or GP3 is rebranded to F3, and the F3 car is used for F4 series? I don't know.

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:32 am 

mds wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

Well, last year it was GP2, so last year's drivers will get points for the GP2 results I guess.

As for GP3, I think they're in trouble now. The FIA is clear about this, they want a clear ladder: national F4, national F3, Euro F3, F2, F1. GP3 does not fit in their plans.

So the options... Either they merge with F3, possibly continuing with the GP3 car, or they just stop existing? Or GP3 is rebranded to F3, and the F3 car is used for F4 series? I don't know.

I would imagine that going forwards, they'll award super license points based on the F2 'payout' rather than what they were getting for GP2.

As for GP3, I hope that might run alongside F3 but as an international series, with F3 continuing in its current guise as a European-only series. So we would have the FIA F3 Championship (GP3) and the FIA European F3 Championship. However, I would expect one or the other to disappear, either to simply cease to exist or to merge into the other series.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:31 pm 

I would imagine that going forwards, they'll award super license points based on the F2 'payout' rather than what they were getting for GP2.

Seems logical, obvious maybe, as it is now officially F2 and the points for F2 are known :)

Quote:
As for GP3, I hope that might run alongside F3 but as an international series, with F3 continuing in its current guise as a European-only series. So we would have the FIA F3 Championship (GP3) and the FIA European F3 Championship. However, I would expect one or the other to disappear, either to simply cease to exist or to merge into the other series.

Yeah I think to have two parallel F3 series (with different cars even) would go against their bid to make one clear ladder.

This is what I wrote on F1F, I'll put it here:
Quote:
Given that there isn’t a huge gap between F4 and F3 now, maybe it makes more sense to transfer the F3 car to F4 (or upgrade the new F4 car to F3 performance levels), and use the GP3 car in F3.

That way you’d have:
– national F4 series with a +- 200HP car
– European F3 series with the old +- 400HP GP3 car
– F2 series with the old +- 600HP GP2 car
– F1

It would also declutter the national series, where we now sometimes see a mix of national F4 and a few remaining national F3 series with no clear relation between them.

European F3 might then even go along with the F1 calendar as GP3 does now - to a certain extent - and lose the "European" name entirely.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:53 pm 

mds wrote:

Seems logical, obvious maybe, as it is now officially F2 and the points for F2 are known :)

Quote:

Yeah I think to have two parallel F3 series (with different cars even) would go against their bid to make one clear ladder.

This is what I wrote on F1F, I'll put it here:
Quote:
Given that there isn’t a huge gap between F4 and F3 now, maybe it makes more sense to transfer the F3 car to F4 (or upgrade the new F4 car to F3 performance levels), and use the GP3 car in F3.

That way you’d have:
– national F4 series with a +- 200HP car
– European F3 series with the old +- 400HP GP3 car
– F2 series with the old +- 600HP GP2 car
– F1

It would also declutter the national series, where we now sometimes see a mix of national F4 and a few remaining national F3 series with no clear relation between them.

European F3 might then even go along with the F1 calendar as GP3 does now - to a certain extent - and lose the "European" name entirely.

That sounds very logical... Which means it'll never happen. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:56 pm 

in British F3 news, Australian F4 driver Harry Hayek will join Double R Racing alongside Jamie Chadwick for 2017.

http://www.paddockscout.com/harry-hayek ... le-r/36727

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:29 am 

Racing season has begun in the US.

Indy Lights action became drama as 2016 Pro Mazda Champion Aaron Telitz survived the last 3 minutes to keep pole position for Saturday's race 1 at St. Petersburg. Pato O'Ward's attempts to reclaim a fornt row start went south after hitting the wall causing a red flag with 3 minutes to go in the qualifying session that ended. By rule, Pato's 2 best times were deleted and thus he will start 9th. Kyle Kaiser will earn a front row start as a result followed by Indy Lights veteran Juan Piedrahita who will start alongside 2016 British Formula 3 champion Matheus Leist. Colton Herta will start inside row 3 alongside 2016 Indy Lights runner-up Santiago Urrutia.

http://www.indylights.com/news/mazda-sc ... ghts-debut

Last edited by Placid on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:47 pm 

Nyck de Vries will drive for Rapax in F2 next year. Didn't really see that coming :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:08 pm 

Colton Herta scored his maiden pole for race 2 on Sunday.

http://www.indylights.com/news/andretti ... ing-report

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:54 am 

mds wrote:
Nyck de Vries will drive for Rapax in F2 next year. Didn't really see that coming :)

And Johnny Cecotto Jr will be his teammate. Seriously!

Thought he'd retired from his single seater career :/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:40 am 

The 1st Indy Lights event at St. Petersburg is now on the books with 2 newcomers taking wins.

In Race 1, 2016 Pro Mazda Champion Aaron Telitz dominated the event romping the field by 11 seconds followed by an impressive showing of the Andretti-Steinbrenner entry of Colton Herta who came in 2nd followed by Carlin's Neil Alberico taking the final podium spot. Shelby Blackstock and Mexican driver Pato O'Ward round up the top 5.

http://www.indylights.com/news/telitz-d ... petersburg

In Race 2, Colton Herta held off going flag-to-flag for his maiden win in the series. Thus making history by becoming the youngest winner at 16. Just 1 month shy of his 17th birthday. Belardi's Santiago Urrutia and Team Pelfrey driver Pato O'Ward have also taken the podium spots. Juncos Racing's Kyle Kaiser and Race 1 winner Aaron Telitz of Belardi round up the top 5.

Race 1 3rd-place finisher Neil Alberico would not complete a lap following an incident with Andretti Autosport driver Nico Jamin. With a win and a 2nd place finish, Colton Herta will head down to Alabama with a 10 point advantage over Aaron Telitz.

1 Colton Herta - R 59
2 Aaron Telitz - R 49
3 Pato O'Ward - R 39
4 Shelby Blackstock 34
5 Kyle Kaiser 34
6 Santiago Urrutia 33
7 Neil Alberico 28
8 Zachary Claman De Melo 27

http://www.indylights.com/news/rookie-c ... nship-lead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:18 pm 

There could be signs that Formula 3 Europe and GP3 would merge in 2 years from now.

https://www.motorsport.com/gp3/news/gp3 ... 19-882405/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:36 pm 

Placid wrote:
There could be signs that Formula 3 Europe and GP3 would merge in 2 years from now.

https://www.motorsport.com/gp3/news/gp3 ... 19-882405/

The echoes of the merger are swirling around.

Mucke Motorsport and T-Sport are absent from the FIA F3 Europe grid this year. 18 entries are confirmed so far.

https://www.motorsport.com/eurof3/news/ ... nt-884226/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 pm 

If I had to bet, I'd bet on Joel Eriksson (although Ralf Aron has a good shot) for Euro F3 champion, George Russel for GP3 champion, Antonio Giovinazzi for F2 champion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:15 am 

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
If I had to bet, I'd bet on Joel Eriksson (although Ralf Aron has a good shot) for Euro F3 champion, George Russel for GP3 champion, Antonio Giovinazzi for F2 champion.

Yeah that last one is going to be hard since he won't be competing in F2 this year ;)

In F3 it's hard to look past Prema - Gunther seems to be the outright favorite then. Although I'm very curious to see what Mick Schumacher can do.
As for GP3, wouldn't rule out Aitken.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:29 am 

I guess this is a good a place as any to post this.

Formula E looking to start their own feeder series.
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/bad-news-for-f1-rejects-formula-e-might-get-its-own-fe-1793355051

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:00 pm 

The Formula V8 3.5 could be on their last legs following of the withdrawal of Adren. It will only leave 10 cars on the grid.

https://www.motorsport.com/f3.5/news/ar ... re-884591/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:32 pm 

British F3 news:

The series has gained another entry with Chris Dittmann Racing obtaining Omar Ismail joining Kenyan joining Jeremy Wahome.

http://www.britishf3.com/british-f3-new ... formula-3/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 am 

More teams are now heading down to the final weeks before the season opener in British F3 at Oulton Park. Hillspeed completes their line-up with German driver Nick Worm joining Jordan Cane and Chase Owen.

http://www.britishf3.com/british-f3-new ... nick-worm/

While Lanan Racing adds race winner Toby Sowery alongside Aaron Di Comberti.

http://www.britishf3.com/british-f3-new ... challenge/

This is how the grid is staked up:

Carlin:
James Pull
Enaam Ahmed
Cameron Das

Chris Dittmann Racing:
Jeremy Wahome
Omar Ismail

Double R Racing:
Jamie Chadwick
Harry Hayek

Douglas Motorsport:
Petru Florescu
Callan O'Keeffe

Fortec Motorsports:
Nicolai Kjaergaard
Ben Hingeley
Manuel Maldonado

Hillspeed with Cliff Dempsey Racing:
Jordan Cane
Chase Owen
Nick Worm

Lanan Racing:
Aaron Di Comberti
Toby Sowery

P1 Sport and Sean Walkinshaw Racing are yet to confirm their drivers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:03 pm 

Placid wrote:
The Formula V8 3.5 could be on their last legs following of the withdrawal of Adren. It will only leave 10 cars on the grid.

Crazy, a couple of years ago Formula Renault 3.5 was considered the best and most competitive feeder series out there. How times change.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:43 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Placid wrote:

Crazy, a couple of years ago Formula Renault 3.5 was considered the best and most competitive feeder series out there. How times change.

This is down more to the driver license points system that favored FIA sanctioned series over series like FR3.5 than the actual appeal of the series itself.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Placid wrote:

This is down more to the driver license points system that favored FIA sanctioned series over series like FR3.5 than the actual appeal of the series itself.

There was also Renault's withdrawal of support for the series.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:49 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Placid wrote:

There was also Renault's withdrawal of support for the series.

Yeah but I believe that was a direct consequence of the introduction of the license points system. Even on this forum we immediately said how this was going to be a HUGE blow to FR3.5, so Renault would have seen it coming as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:20 pm 

Another team has dropped from the GP3 series. Koiranen GP has withdrawn.

https://www.motorsport.com/gp3/news/koi ... on-890774/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:33 am 

With the British F3 season-opening weekend just 4 days away, Chris Dittmann Racing and Double R have completed their line-ups. CDR filled their last seat with Frenchman Tristan Charpentier, while Double R Racing just added Brazilian driver Guilherme Samaia.

http://www.britishf3.com/teams/2017-teams/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:54 am 

Well, this is unexpected. Coletti is returning to F2, at least for the season opener in Bahrain: http://m.gpupdate.net/en/gp2-news/35165 ... s-f2-seat/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:05 am 

mds wrote:
mds wrote:

And Johnny Cecotto Jr will be his teammate. Seriously!

Thought he'd retired from his single seater career :/

This will be his 9th season of GP2/F2

Give it up mate, seriously. :lol:

Canamas on his 6th season too; there should be a 3 season limit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:26 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Canamas on his 6th season too; there should be a 3 season limit.

Fully agree!

First practice session is over, both Prema rookies already fast in P3 and P4. Qualifying in a couple of hours.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:04 pm 

Excited for the return of F2 today, can't wait for qualifying, I'm not very clued up on all the drivers but from my understanding Rowland and both Prema drivers at least are expected to be in the title fight.

Any other names to watch?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:17 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Deletraz has been pretty good but not sure if he has a good feeling in the F2 car. Albon went well as a rookie in GP3 last year, De Vries has been quick during testing.

Oh and always, always watch Johnny Cecotto Jr. He tends to, eh, 'liven the place up'.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:29 pm 

mds wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Deletraz has been pretty good but not sure if he has a good feeling in the F2 car. Albon went well as a rookie in GP3 last year, De Vries has been quick during testing.

Oh and always, always watch Johnny Cecotto Jr. He tends to, eh, 'liven the place up'.

Yeah I've watched GP2 for a few seasons now so I'm aware of the Maldonado simulators that are Cecotto and Canamasas. :-P

Just not aware of the rookies so thanks for the info, De Vries is the McLaren junior right? Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:34 pm 

Yes, de Vries is one of the McLaren juniors. One of the others, Lando Norris, just won the opening Euro F3 race as a rookie. Not bad. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:04 pm 

Does anybody else feel this is a fairly weak F2/GP2 field?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:19 pm 

mds wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:

Yeah that last one is going to be hard since he won't be competing in F2 this year ;)

In F3 it's hard to look past Prema - Gunther seems to be the outright favorite then. Although I'm very curious to see what Mick Schumacher can do.
As for GP3, wouldn't rule out Aitken.

D'oh!! :lol: I confused him for Antonio Fuoco.

I like Leclerc and Ghiotto a lot, though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 pm 

Utterly dominant first pole of the year for Leclerc. P1, P2 and P3 taken by rookies.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:58 pm 

Prema dominant - might be more the team than the drivers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Does anybody else feel this is a fairly weak F2/GP2 field?

Yep 5 of the top 6 drivers from last year have moved on, some complain about drivers sticking around too long but sometimes it does add depth to the series.

The drivers that are left probably have a little more than a handful of wins between them and most of them are reverse grid wins.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 17th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Prema dominant - might be more the team than the drivers.

Well one was dominant and most of the other drivers had their second runs ruined but I do see your point.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 17th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:03 am 

Here is the first race of the 2017 FIA Formula 3 European Championship https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVgyJVOJTaY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:28 am 

Good fight for the lead in F2.