How will Bottas do?
More points than Lewis 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
90-99% 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
75-89% 58%  58%  [ 45 ]
50-75% 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Less than 50% 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 77
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:29 pm 

Well, Bottas is actually closer to Hamilton by 9 points than Rosberg in 2014 and 1 point 2015. I think Rosberg suffered more bad luck both these years, but considering there has been a battle with Ferrari most of this season and even Red Bull too at times, this is a good result for Bottas. Mercedes were dominant most of the time in the 3 seasons before this so I think this reflects that Bottas is a fair bit closer to Rosberg than many think.

So for the sake of this thread, he's got 84% of Hamilton's points. It shows that this maths doesn't quite work as that is rounded up to the closest percentage. And it it actually lower than Rosberg even though Bottas was 1 point closer to Hamilton.

Another thing is if we use this maths, then Bottas has got 46% of the teams points. We can only loosely base the facts on these percentages but if Bottas is considered a number 2 driver, he has had a really good first season on the whole in terms of getting points.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:35 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Well, Bottas is actually closer to Hamilton by 9 points than Rosberg in 2014 and 1 point 2015. I think Rosberg suffered more bad luck both these years, but considering there has been a battle with Ferrari most of this season and even Red Bull too at times, this is a good result for Bottas. Mercedes were dominant most of the time in the 3 seasons before this so I think this reflects that Bottas is a fair bit closer to Rosberg than many think.

So for the sake of this thread, he's got 84% of Hamilton's points. It shows that this maths doesn't quite work as that is rounded up to the closest percentage. And it it actually lower than Rosberg even though Bottas was 1 point closer to Hamilton.

Another thing is if we use this maths, then Bottas has got 46% of the teams points. We can only loosely base the facts on these percentages but if Bottas is considered a number 2 driver, he has had a really good first season on the whole in terms of getting points.

Statistics can be interesting sometimes but they rarely paint the full picture. From actually watching the races I can only conclude that Bottas has not been of the same standard as Rosberg. Some weekends, particularly in the second half of the year, he has been absolutely nowhere in relation to his team mate; even on a bad weekend Rosberg was never as far from Hamilton as Bottas has been on a number of occasions. The times he has finished ahead of Hamilton appeared to owe more to Lewis underperforming than Vatteri taking a step up (think Russia and Monaco, as well as Lewis' crash in Brazil) and I think he's been quite fortuitous at times in inheriting positions from other drivers' misfortunes (Baku, Mexico) which have flattered his final championship points total.

Overall in my opinion he has to do better next year if he wants to keep his seat. The Abu Dhabi GP weekend showed some promise that he may be able to deliver though, he was very impressive and I think for the first time this season he proved he can beat Hamilton on merit.