planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:33 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:47 am 

UPS GUY wrote:
What a dissapointing race for Mercedes!! with all the talk about improvements etc, but they still got the same result as 2011, no points whatsoever on the first race! and the W03 seems to be a dog on tires. What good is the S-Duct/Drs combo if Schumi/Rosberg are always more than 1 second behind the other car which prohibits them from using it in the first place?? Im predicting a repeat of the 2011 season sadly... :thumbdown:

Thank you,

I think lots of people got caught in this new super invention from the Merc hype, without realising that it only works for a part of the very few laps of the actual race. It is not going to give them superior race pace. Only works for the Quali, but if the race pace is what we witnessed from Nico's race (Schumie was only for a few laps, I don't count his times) then I'm afraid that we will witness a 2011 again; a few heroic races, but that's it. And this is fortunate at the moment, as Ferrari is hopeless. When Ferrari gets their game back, then it is 7-8 again I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:05 pm 

We must all have faith! But I think breaking into the top4 in qualifying may spring some good results, but if they're always being overtaken and not using DRS, their system is a bit 1 dimensional

Tweet Me - @shivyF1
Follow Me - www.facebook.com/shivrajgohilphotos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:24 pm 

Hope to see Michael on the podium.
Fans (Malaysian fans) will cheer for him.

Same goes to his team mate, Rosberg.
Sweet.

I saw it last year when Rosberg got on to the podium.
The fans cheered...so emotional :D

PETRONAS sponsored Mercedes :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:25 pm 

Found this on other site....sounds very logical.

Quote:
I have analysed pretty well Mercedes problem here in Australia. There is no problem actually. Why?? It might just be good for next few races wherever the track temperature wld be higher than in Australia. This is because Mercedes tyres were out of working window here that means they did not got enough heated up to perform at there best and therby the car started sliding around and tyres started graining laterally.

If you see carefully schumacher laps there were lots of moments where he was sliding around in corners and that is precisely because of this problem. I am sure this means that Mercedes are actually not eating up there tyres. Mercedes were simply not able to switch on there tyres in this race initially and it affected there performance.

Come Malaysia the track temperature would be higher up than Australia and I am sure they would sort out there issues. This was pretty evident from Schumacher's body language.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:48 pm 

I am reserving my judgement on the Mercedes for the moment.

I believe that Michael could have gotten more out of the car on race day than Nico.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:13 pm 

Schumi was on for at least a top 6 finish had it not been for his gearbox failing.
I think a podium (ahead of Lewis) was a definite possibility.
Sort the reliability issues out and I think Mercedes can be a real threat to Ferrari for third in the WCC.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:24 pm 

Even though he DNF'd, Michael impressed me. I'm hoping for more of the same in the next race!

BTW, I wonder if Mercedes can challenge for pole in Malaysia. The Tilke tracks are perfect for Mercedes' DRS-duct because of the really long straights.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:31 pm 

I am expecting a serious challenge to mclaren in the quali for P1 and P2 considering the long straights malaysia has got, if only they could do something about race pace, Michael will be doing his famous jump once again :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:50 pm 

Not a bad short race from the old guy. Seems happy with the car, had his best qualy of his return and was looking decent among faster cars. Obviously Mercedes is off the pace of McLaren and even RedBull, however Hamilton's tire issues and Webber's woes give me some hope that breaking into the top three will be very possible. Remains to be seen though how good or bad that Mercedes itself is on tires. Still, definitely the best car that Mercedes has offered to MS so far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:11 pm 

Deleted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:23 pm 

Tracks I'm looking forward to:

Malaysia
China
Canada
Spa (I'll be there)
Monza
India
Abu Dhabi
Brazil

I think we'll see MSC show his true worth at the above circuits - the combo of his aggressive driving style and the Merc's as-yet-to-be-exploited straight-line speed should be fun to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:27 pm 

Aduka wrote:
Deleted.

I absolutely loved it. :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:36 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4iengoc ... re=related

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:38 pm 

Whos the Boss? Michael or Bernie? 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 pm 

schumi8 wrote:
Aduka wrote:
Deleted.

Did you saw it before i removed it :)

It revealed some of important details :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:03 pm 

scouse wrote:
Michael and the Merc were looking pretty good, good enough for him to get a good start for the season.
Shame the gearbox didn't like to be trolled though the gravel, It's not a plow Mikey!
See ya in Malasia.

What are you on about? He went off the track because his gearbox failed, not the other way around.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:06 pm 

Noooo Aduka what did you post?
I think there is no need to be panic at all. This is the best car mercedes has offered to Schumi yet, and if the qualifying pace is good, we will see Schumi qualify at the front and we can enjoy his defence and battle against faster cars behind. I don't think he would let other people to overtake him easily, just ask Button in 201
and Lewis last year ;) I believe he could get the podium this year, and it would be even sweeter if it is from some hard fought battle. I am not having too much hope about his eighth title, I am just glad that he is still driving. After all, Schumi fighting in an inferior car is what made him special and good among all other drivers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:12 pm 

Aduka wrote:
schumi8 wrote:
Aduka wrote:
Deleted.

Damn, what was it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:47 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
Aduka wrote:
schumi8 wrote:
Aduka wrote:
Deleted.

Damn, what was it?

It was a video after Michael grassed his car in FP3. He was marshalling the marshals and keeping the photographers away from the car. Looked cool.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:00 pm 

Now if only that gearbox had stuck in 5th. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:31 pm 

Actually Michael was hiding cars front wing from annoying photographers who tried to take a photo of Mercedes ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:38 pm 

Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5gjPrb4 ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 am 

virtuallynobody wrote:

:thumbup: Quite...I wonder how long he had been nursing the problem. Glad that his starts are still great but still p!ssed off that Merc have tyre issues.

I saw 3 things yesterday that I never want to see again...1) 5am on the alarm clock 2) Schumi coasting back to the pits and 3) a pool of blood after slamming the oven door shut on my hand (I blame fatigue and karma for hoping Nico didn't finish in the points)..

I did go back to sleep slightly happier that Rosberg had no points either though :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:55 am 

Raquello wrote:
virtuallynobody wrote:

:thumbup: Quite...I wonder how long he had been nursing the problem. Glad that his starts are still great but still p!ssed off that Merc have tyre issues.

I saw 3 things yesterday that I never want to see again...1) 5am on the alarm clock 2) Schumi coasting back to the pits and 3) a pool of blood after slamming the oven door shut on my hand (I blame fatigue and karma for hoping Nico didn't finish in the points)..

I did go back to sleep slightly happier that Rosberg had no points either though :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:05 am 

Aduka wrote:

Haha brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:14 am 

Aduka wrote:

Thank you for this. I love it when the drivers stay with their cars and don't just go back to the pits, it shows they have a close relationship with them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:41 am 

Schumacher Q3 lap....the one he got P4 with.

Awesome lap...only that small mistake in last corner costed him P2 position...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mB4bJeoBG4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:27 am 

Aduka wrote:

Awesome lap.

Did he short-shift on the beginning, around the 0:08 mark, from 3rd to 4th? Looked like a mistake there too, just before the main straight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:13 am 

Aduka wrote:

Nice one :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:30 am 

I expect a lot from Mercedes in Sepang...and this could be one of the best races in the season.

Tyre degradation is very very low on Sepang....high ambient temperatures should warm the tires much quicker...

Rain is very possible...which in my view is even better for Mercedes...i mean Michael 8)

In Sepang preview

Ross Braw said:

Quote:
Despite a positive start, our first race weekend of the season in Australia did not turn out as we would have wished, and there has been, and will continue to be, a lot of hard work done before we take to the track again in Malaysia. We have a fundamentally good car, now it is up to us to optimise its performance and achieve its potential on track.

Nico:

Quote:
The circuit has two long straights which should suit us this year, and the conditions will be very demanding as always due to the high heat and humidity. I'm confident that we can improve our performance here, and we will have a successful weekend in front of all our Malaysian supporters.

Michael:

Quote:
After the disappointment of how the first race in Melbourne turned out, I am flying to Malaysia with a big sense of anticipation, because we saw in Australia that our car is capable of putting us in the mix. Of course, we haven't forgotten that the circuit in Melbourne is not really representative of the true competitive picture, but nevertheless the car gives me a good feeling for the season ahead. Sepang will be interesting for everybody because it will be the first clue to the real relative strengths of all the cars. The range of slow and fast corners give a good indication of where you are, which always makes the race in Malaysia fun for the drivers and engineers, and overall a big challenge for both man and machine. I'm looking forward to it."

I cut off the part of Ross and Nico talking Bullshit about Sepang..and their sponsors...Petronas...about which i currently don't give much damn about.

Merc will have few small updates in Sepang...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:27 pm 

Aduka wrote:
I expect a lot from Mercedes in Sepang...and this could be one of the best races in the season.

Tyre degradation is very very low on Sepang....high ambient temperatures should warm the tires much quicker...

Rain is very possible...which in my view is even better for Mercedes...i mean Michael 8)

In Sepang preview

Ross Braw said:

Quote:
Despite a positive start, our first race weekend of the season in Australia did not turn out as we would have wished, and there has been, and will continue to be, a lot of hard work done before we take to the track again in Malaysia. We have a fundamentally good car, now it is up to us to optimise its performance and achieve its potential on track.

Nico:

Quote:
The circuit has two long straights which should suit us this year, and the conditions will be very demanding as always due to the high heat and humidity. I'm confident that we can improve our performance here, and we will have a successful weekend in front of all our Malaysian supporters.

Michael:

Quote:
After the disappointment of how the first race in Melbourne turned out, I am flying to Malaysia with a big sense of anticipation, because we saw in Australia that our car is capable of putting us in the mix. Of course, we haven't forgotten that the circuit in Melbourne is not really representative of the true competitive picture, but nevertheless the car gives me a good feeling for the season ahead. Sepang will be interesting for everybody because it will be the first clue to the real relative strengths of all the cars. The range of slow and fast corners give a good indication of where you are, which always makes the race in Malaysia fun for the drivers and engineers, and overall a big challenge for both man and machine. I'm looking forward to it."

I cut off the part of Ross and Nico talking Bullshit about Sepang..and their sponsors...Petronas...about which i currently don't give much damn about.

Merc will have few small updates in Sepang...

I'm sorry but I think you're wrong. Tyre degradation is even higher in Sepang. High-Speed corners result on much higher load on the rubber. You can imagine from the end of the corner 5 to 10 is all high speed.

Here is what I think will happen.

If it doesn't rain:

Qualification will be very good since there are two very long straights, and with the new device as the experts are expecting, stalling both the front and the rear wing, this application will be tremendously well suited even for the high speed corners. So I think, in Quali, we can expect P1 or P2 from either Michael or Nico.
Race, since this track is a monstrous tire eater because of the abrasiveness of the track, high speed corners, humidity and high track temperature, add to this the W03 - another monstrous tire eater, the pace will be fairy cakes! At best P6 - P8 :(

If it rains:

Qualification - Actually high tyre degradation means more heat, and again straight speed of the W03 is the best, heating the tires won't be any problem. So they will be able to exploit the tires very well on the wet track. Again Quali will be very positive, probably P3-P4.
Race: racewise, on the wet track with high tire heat up & MICHAEL SCHUMACHER the king of Rain... podium isn't very far fetched.

Let's see how thing's will play out. :D - I'm very eager.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm 

Give us something to cheer about Schumi in Malaysia. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:02 am 

Aduka wrote:

The video says it was his q2 attempt, not q3. Still, thanks for sharing !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:40 am 

Aduka wrote:

Michael uses DRS very differently than other cars - if usually DRS is dropped by touching brakes (as late as possible), then Michael is switching it off manually lot earlier than he did that last year. This MGP F-Duct system is very clever thing :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:09 pm 

Raquello wrote:
virtuallynobody wrote:

Now that you have said it I must confess I was happy too that Rosberg was not in the points too. Who cares about Mercedes constructors I just need Michael to be the only winner :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:38 pm 

If it rains all thru the weekend then Mercedes can actually get P1 and P2 using the DRS in wet conditions and then hopefully Mercedes can outshine Mclaren with the lead because I think Mclarens consistency would not be much of a difference in wet conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:26 pm 

“We have an innovation that gives us some performance, but I don’t think its a huge performance,” Schumacher said. “The nature of the track means there will be another slight advantage. Some get a little bit too excited about this compared to reality.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mi ... story.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:40 pm 

I'm going for it, Schumi on pole off the back of a wet quali session.

Where do I place my bets?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:27 pm 

schumi8 wrote:
If it rains all thru the weekend then Mercedes can actually get P1 and P2 using the DRS in wet conditions and then hopefully Mercedes can outshine Mclaren with the lead because I think Mclarens consistency would not be much of a difference in wet conditions.

Man, as much as I would love to, you're not correct. DRS cannot be used on wet conditions. Even in qualifying. :(

In damp conditions DRS can only be used if the driving line of the whole track is dry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 pm 

But he's the Rainmeister :thumbup:

Still good chance for pole even if it rains :D