planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:51 pm 

I give you 3 minutes of utter bliss.

Post your favourite motorsport sounds here if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZnUHC8w2s

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:29 am 

These would be the sounds that used to give me goose bumps.
Th local motor club would have 35mm film of the races & it would be the topic of conversation for days.

This is a W 196 followed for the most part by a beatiful 1939 BMW 328.

[youtube] https://youtu.be/iKtu0SDZyfg [/youtube]

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:48 am 

Podiums: 11
2017 Championship Standing: Don't look, it's hideous!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:43 am 

specdecible wrote:

Damn, he's good! :lol:

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:12 am 

Exediron wrote:
specdecible wrote:

Hitting the rev limiter was awesome,

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:20 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFUMnV_zml8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:59 am 

HS Thompson wrote:

That sounds more like today's cars than the ear-shattering V12s

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:56 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

Have you heard today's cars live? I have and they are nothing like the Matra, at all. Today's cars are so silent that my 7 year old daughter thinks that they are too quiet, and she HATES loud noises.

Today's engines are such a profound disappointment to me and every F1 fan I know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:50 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

... seriously?
The Matra V12 is one of the best sounding F1 cars ever

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:57 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
Exediron wrote:
specdecible wrote:

highlight of the weekend so far

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:22 pm 

briggsiboi wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Exediron wrote:
specdecible wrote:

highlight of the weekend so far

This guy is remarkable. I loved this.

Oh, by the way, I LOVED the OP as well. Damn I miss those sounds.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:13 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

It's a 1968 V-12 so it wasn't revving to 19-20k rpm so it definitely won't have the high pitch wail that the V-12's from the 90's had.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:20 pm 

To me nothing beats the sweet howl of the V10s. One of my favorite vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pTUCVXJGOI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:36 pm 

Anybody who enjoys the sound a lot needs to get themselves to a historic racing festival. You'll have a feast of different engines and probably will be a lot cheaper than attending an F1 race.

Turbos, supercharged, naturally aspirated, straight eights, snarling V8s, flat sixes, V12s, V16s, revvy Cortinas and Minis...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:19 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvoXleaywPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSePzgAHhec

That sound at 1:34

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:04 pm 

HS Thompson wrote:
Have you heard today's cars live? I have and they are nothing like the Matra, at all. Today's cars are so silent that my 7 year old daughter thinks that they are too quiet, and she HATES loud noises.

Today's engines are such a profound disappointment to me and every F1 fan I know.

Seriously?! For God's sake, what's wrong with her then? Were you sitting a football field away?

When I took my sister - who hates loud noises - to the Montreal Grand Prix this year, she insisted on wearing earplugs anyway and said the cars are still too loud. She would never have attended a race live previously due to the noise; I myself thought it was a profoundly unpleasant physical assault, and no responsible person would ever have watched a live race before without ear protection. I value my hearing greatly as an audiophile and I appreciate having cars that I can listen to with no protection and know I won't be damaging my ears.

There, now you've found an F1 fan who isn't disappointed with the engines. There are more out there if you'll open your eyes and actually look. Specifically, almost 50% of F1 fans, according to the recent surveys.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:29 pm 

In the Autosport survey they asked if the current engines were loud enough & the response can be seen below.
Only people who had attended a race & heard the current cars were allowed to vote.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:33 pm 

Exediron wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

Seriously?! For God's sake, what's wrong with her then? Were you sitting a football field away?

When I took my sister - who hates loud noises - to the Montreal Grand Prix this year, she insisted on wearing earplugs anyway and said the cars are still too loud. She would never have attended a race live previously due to the noise; I myself thought it was a profoundly unpleasant physical assault, and no responsible person would ever have watched a live race before without ear protection. I value my hearing greatly as an audiophile and I appreciate having cars that I can listen to with no protection and know I won't be damaging my ears.

There, now you've found an F1 fan who isn't disappointed with the engines. There are more out there if you'll open your eyes and actually look. Specifically, almost 50% of F1 fans, according to the recent surveys.

I agree.

I was given free ear plugs and was told I would need them for the support races but the F1 would be fine without.

It was bearable without the ear plugs for me, but not by a lot, I certainly wouldn't have felt silly for wearing them. I was actually quite pleasantly surprised by the sound, TV doesn't do it justice IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:10 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
I was actually quite pleasantly surprised by the sound, TV doesn't do it justice IMO.

My thoughts exactly. They sound like rubbish from the TV onboard, but trackside I really liked the texture of the sound - well, except the Honda engine. That sounded horrible x(

We didn't have GP2 or anything like that for a support race; the loudest support race was the Ferrari Challenge, and the F1 cars were safely louder than that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:45 am 

Exediron wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

No, we were less than 10 meters from the cars, if even that. Main straight of the Chinese Grand Prix. You can get right up close to the cars there and they are utterly silent. An abysmal experience for sure with these quiet, unoffensive engines.
Exediron wrote:

Attendance is down at virtually every grand prix. In China, most expats I know simply stopped going, with the boring cars being the #1 reason given. In fact, that was the ONLY reason I've heard why people are not going here. It's just far too boring watching these quiet cars.

I've been to about 15 grand prixes or so, and I'm done with F1 until they ditch these horrible engines.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:47 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

I agree.

I was given free ear plugs and was told I would need them for the support races but the F1 would be fine without.

It was bearable without the ear plugs for me, but not by a lot, I certainly wouldn't have felt silly for wearing them. I was actually quite pleasantly surprised by the sound, TV doesn't do it justice IMO.

I figure the cars could go up in volume a good 20% before I'd think about putting in ear plugs. In Shanghai, you can get REAL close to the cars but even then, the noise is so wimpy that I dont worry about my ears (and I have very sensitive ears).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:35 am 

HS Thompson wrote:
No, we were less than 10 meters from the cars, if even that. Main straight of the Chinese Grand Prix. You can get right up close to the cars there and they are utterly silent. An abysmal experience for sure with these quiet, unoffensive engines.

In that case, I'm afraid I don't really believe you about your daughter hating loud noises. The V6 hybrid engines are rated at 134 dB (compared to 145 for the V8s) according to the FIA; that's louder than a jackhammer, a gun firing, and quite a few other painfully loud noises. In fact, that volume will cause hearing damage if sustained for any significant period of time (as in 15 minutes), so I guess it's a good thing you won't be attending races in the future, assuming you want to keep your sensitive hearing as it is.

I honestly find it pathetic and depressing that people have such a one-dimensional appreciation of F1 that an 11db reduction in volume is instantly enough to make the cars 'boring'. That's just... Isn't there anything more material they could find to complain about? Instead, we just see people mindlessly blaming everything on the new engines, including things that are definitely not their fault, such as the speed of the cars. Don't you care about cutting edge technology? Formula One, the pinnacle of technology - as long as it's too loud to listen to!

:?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:53 am 

Im sure when the do the noise test its 1meter and at 45 degrees, by the time the noise gets to the spectators its sufficiently dispersed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:46 am 

Exediron wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

In that case, I'm afraid I don't really believe you about your daughter hating loud noises. The V6 hybrid engines are rated at 134 dB (compared to 145 for the V8s) according to the FIA; that's louder than a jackhammer, a gun firing, and quite a few other painfully loud noises. In fact, that volume will cause hearing damage if sustained for any significant period of time (as in 15 minutes), so I guess it's a good thing you won't be attending races in the future, assuming you want to keep your sensitive hearing as it is.

I honestly find it pathetic and depressing that people have such a one-dimensional appreciation of F1 that an 11db reduction in volume is instantly enough to make the cars 'boring'. That's just... Isn't there anything more material they could find to complain about? Instead, we just see people mindlessly blaming everything on the new engines, including things that are definitely not their fault, such as the speed of the cars. Don't you care about cutting edge technology? Formula One, the pinnacle of technology - as long as it's too loud to listen to!

Those numbers you quote are *absolute* nonsense. The noise reduction is FAR more than that. No way at all are the cars as loud as a jackhammer. Not even close. I can't sit next to jack hammer for 2 hours. There's nothing even remotely painful to the car noise. CART cars from the 'early 90's (last time I went to those races) were louder.

I've been to F1 races during the 3.5 liter era, the 3.0 (attended the very last 3.0 liter race ever), the 2.4, and today's V-6 turbos.

The V-6's are abysmal in every sense of the word.

You could buy tickets from scalpers for 70% off face value in Shanghai. That's how miserable the attendance was this year. All I could hear from people there was how the sounds were missing. The spectacle a mere shell of its former self.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:51 am 

colinp wrote:
Im sure when the do the noise test its 1meter and at 45 degrees, by the time the noise gets to the spectators its sufficiently dispersed

Absolutely. I sat last race in a covered seat and with that cover *some* of the sound bounced back instead of dissipating. This made it moderately louder and I'm sure my daughter would not have liked that (she only went to qualifying where we sat in the open). These cars are ridiculously quiet in open air.

The ONE aspect of the silence that is cool is when the cars blast down the start finish line in China. There the track has a huge grandstand one side and the pit wall on the other. The speed in this part of the track is quite high and the engine noise is replaced by the sound of the cars slicing through the air. It's like a jet fighter is flying along the track. You never heard that in Shanghai during the V-8 era.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:53 am 

Exediron wrote:
Don't you care about cutting edge technology?

Not in the slightest. I care about raw power and nothing more. F1 cars are supposed to be fast. Very very fast.

That's fine if you enjoy these silent, slow kiddie cars. I dont. I watch F1 now out of force of habit, but I'm done spending *any* money on this deeply substandard product.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:15 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
I give you 3 minutes of utter bliss.

Post your favourite motorsport sounds here if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZnUHC8w2s

Beautiful video, with the sounds well captured. The world is a much poorer place with the glorious engines of the past firmly relegated to history, replaced by muffled, rev limited, and fuel limited imitations of their former selves.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:23 am 

HS Thompson wrote:
That's fine if you enjoy these silent, slow kiddie cars. I dont. I watch F1 now out of force of habit, but I'm done spending *any* money on this deeply substandard product.

What I'm going to enjoy is putting you on ignore and not having to read your ridiculous exaggerated hyperbole again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:03 pm 

Exediron wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

What I'm going to enjoy is putting you on ignore and not having to read your ridiculous exaggerated hyperbole again.

:thumbup: :idea: :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:02 am 

HS Thompson wrote:
Exediron wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

Those numbers you quote are *absolute* nonsense. The noise reduction is FAR more than that. No way at all are the cars as loud as a jackhammer. Not even close. I can't sit next to jack hammer for 2 hours. There's nothing even remotely painful to the car noise. CART cars from the 'early 90's (last time I went to those races) were louder.

I've been to F1 races during the 3.5 liter era, the 3.0 (attended the very last 3.0 liter race ever), the 2.4, and today's V-6 turbos.

You could buy tickets from scalpers for 70% off face value in Shanghai. That's how miserable the attendance was this year. All I could hear from people there was how the sounds were missing. The spectacle a mere shell of its former self.

Decibels are logarithmic. 10 decibels is more is actually 10 times more powerful, even if human ears/brain don't necessarily perceive it as such.

Also, it's not just about the loudness. The higher pitch of the V8s is another reason why it sounds so "loud".

Personally I find plenty to like about the new engine sounds. There's more texture to it. You can also hear the whirring of the turbines, and also tyres screeching. I don't understand why people have to keep hanging on to the old engine sound. Gotta be a bit more open minded. I for one think that the Audi LMP1 TDI cars sound amazing, almost like jet fighters. I'd take that over the V8s any day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:12 am 

rawsushi wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:
Exediron wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

Decibels are logarithmic. 10 decibels is more is actually 10 times more powerful, even if human ears/brain don't necessarily perceive it as such.

Also, it's not just about the loudness. The higher pitch of the V8s is another reason why it sounds so "loud".

Personally I find plenty to like about the new engine sounds. There's more texture to it. You can also hear the whirring of the turbines, and also tyres screeching. I don't understand why people have to keep hanging on to the old engine sound. Gotta be a bit more open minded. I for one think that the Audi LMP1 TDI cars sound amazing, almost like jet fighters. I'd take that over the V8s any day.

So being open minded means being forced to like the new engines, regardless of how it really makes me feel? I could *easily* reply back to you the same way. Just be more open minded and see how awful the new engines are! God you are SOOO closed minded. :lol:

Listen, I enjoy MANY different sounds. I cut my racing teeth watching the old V-12 Jaguars race during the IMSA years at Road America. Awesome sound. I loved the V-6 turbo sound from Geoff Brabham's Nissan as well as the multitude of Porsche 962c's. CART cars sounded great to me back in the day (during the turbo era; no idea what they sound like now). But there was nothing, nothing in the world that sounded like a screaming F1 engine from the normally aspirated era.

Today's cars are simply castrated compared to the fire breathing engines of the past. They are slower, rev less (mandated), consume less fuel (again, mandated) and are generally unexciting. A 17 year old kid can get into today's cars and not be seriously challenged. That alone shows me how awful F1 is right now.

*Many* of today's drivers along with Bernie say the same thing. F1 has lost its soul.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:16 am 

HS Thompson wrote:
So being open minded means being forced to like the new engines, regardless of how it really makes me feel? I could *easily* reply back to you the same way. Just be more open minded and see how awful the new engines are! God you are SOOO closed minded. :lol:

I think, you missed the point there. Being open minded, that would rather mean staying open to various changes, the acceptance of it rather than rejectance. Yes, that would be your free choice to reject, sure, nobody is forcing upon you to like it, but calling that "open minded" would be but playing with the words (like that, you could justify even the racism as being "open minded" to hate whomever you like to hate... but a word jugglery).

Quote:
Today's cars are simply castrated compared to the fire breathing engines of the past. They are slower, rev less (mandated), consume less fuel (again, mandated) and are generally unexciting. A 17 year old kid can get into today's cars and not be seriously challenged. That alone shows me how awful F1 is right now.

*Many* of today's drivers along with Bernie say the same thing. F1 has lost its soul.

Well, that would be much more than just the sound. Here, the idea expressed by the posters was that the sound of the engines is not really to be a deal-breaker. But if you find hardly anything appealing to you, if you find F1 to have lost its soul, then, well, don't bother about it.

(and Bernie... for him, the soul of F1 is money, and if he feels it getting lost, go wonder... and "many drivers" complaining, it's basically those ones who are not on the winning side of the equation)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:40 am 

Prema wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

I think, you missed the point there. Being open minded, that would rather mean staying open to various changes, the acceptance of it rather than rejectance. Yes, that would be your free choice to reject, sure, nobody is forcing upon you to like it, but calling that "open minded" would be but playing with the words (like that, you could justify even the racism as being "open minded" to hate whomever you like to hate... but a word jugglery).

Quote:

Well, that would be much more than just the sound. Here, the idea expressed by the posters was that the sound of the engines is not really to be a deal-breaker. But if you find hardly anything appealing to you, if you find F1 to have lost its soul, then, well, don't bother about it.

(and Bernie... for him, the soul of F1 is money, and if he feels it getting lost, go wonder... and "many drivers" complaining, it's basically those ones who are not on the winning side of the equation)

If all things were the same with the exception of the engines sounding like they did during the V-8 era, I'd still pay money to go see races. There might be other things that I dont care for, but the sound alone would be enough to draw me in, since I enjoy it so very much.

Maybe in some future formula.

And I was totally opened minded from the change to 3.5 liters, to 3.0 liters, to 2.4 liters. That was all fine for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:20 pm 

HS Thompson wrote:
colinp wrote:

Absolutely. I sat last race in a covered seat and with that cover *some* of the sound bounced back instead of dissipating. This made it moderately louder and I'm sure my daughter would not have liked that (she only went to qualifying where we sat in the open). These cars are ridiculously quiet in open air.

The ONE aspect of the silence that is cool is when the cars blast down the start finish line in China. There the track has a huge grandstand one side and the pit wall on the other. The speed in this part of the track is quite high and the engine noise is replaced by the sound of the cars slicing through the air. It's like a jet fighter is flying along the track. You never heard that in Shanghai during the V-8 era.

I haven't heard the new engines in person yet, so I cannot comment on most of this. I do enjoy hearing the tyres and fans on TV now though, but I have a feeling I'll be a bit disappointed with the pitch and tone the cars have in person. Loved the V10s in person. V8s were still very good.

The bolded portion may actually be the turbine inlet wheel you're hearing though. Not necessarily the car through air.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:32 am 

Honda Quick wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:
colinp wrote:

I haven't heard the new engines in person yet, so I cannot comment on most of this. I do enjoy hearing the tyres and fans on TV now though, but I have a feeling I'll be a bit disappointed with the pitch and tone the cars have in person. Loved the V10s in person. V8s were still very good.

The bolded portion may actually be the turbine inlet wheel you're hearing though. Not necessarily the car through air.
\\

I'm pretty sure it was the sound of the cars slicing through the air. The main straight in Shanghai is VERY fast and all the cars make this sound, even the back markers (who still move quite fast). There's no variation in the sound and I'm sure that the turbo inlets are not 100% the same. It really sounds like a jet fighter. I've been to many air shows in my day and the resemblance is striking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:54 pm 

Fair points! I'm just likening what you've stated to watching turbocharged drag racing and offering a potential other cause. The turbochargers can definitely be heard over the engine from the front side until the exhaust note catches up. And it sounds just like a jet fighter, too - both have turbines, imagine that. :-P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:52 pm 

May as well watch a hatchback go round the track, the noise from today's F1 engine's is so underwhelming.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:21 pm 

Jomox wrote:
May as well watch a hatchback go round the track, the noise from today's F1 engine's is so underwhelming.

I agree. I've said this before, but YouTube any Formula Renault 3.5 race this season, even at Monaco where engines hardly get a full airing, and the sound is fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:17 pm 

At spa this weekend. First time at a gp since 2009. Heard 3L V10s and the V8s at silverstone. A 3l v10 at 20000rpm will never be beaten unfortunately. These current engines are truly, truly abysmal. There is something wrong when the best sounding engines are the gp3 cars, then the gp2 cars, then the porsche supercup cars, then the formula 1 cars. Small capacity, turbo charged, low revving, everything needed for a s**t sounding engine.

Either get rid completely and admit they were a bad idea or at least make changes so they have to rev them more to get the power. I expected them to be bad but not this bad. Sorry bernie but i wont be back till they sound good again.

Also the honda engine is joke. Same power as the ferrari :lol: Sounds like they are trying it on diesel now to see if thats any better. Was laughing at a clip of ron dennis speaking to brundle before 2015 saying the honda engine is mindblowing and the numbers are far better then they could imagine. Dont buy a car from him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:28 pm 

HS Thompson wrote:

Nope. Silent maybe, but slow... no.