planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:38 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 8426
Read that Honda are basically trying to create a copy of the Merc engine for next season... Back to square one then? I predict Alonso will be gone before the summer break.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 18574
Covalent wrote:
Read that Honda are basically trying to create a copy of the Merc engine for next season... Back to square one then? I predict Alonso will be gone before the summer break.

well, to be fair I think I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't possible before because of the token system. But it does offer significant packaging and weight distribution advantages, so why not?

It seems Renault are also engaged in a complete engine redesign, so Honda aren't the only ones.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 8426
Zoue wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Read that Honda are basically trying to create a copy of the Merc engine for next season... Back to square one then? I predict Alonso will be gone before the summer break.

well, to be fair I think I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't possible before because of the token system. But it does offer significant packaging and weight distribution advantages, so why not?

It seems Renault are also engaged in a complete engine redesign, so Honda aren't the only ones.

Don't know if there are any significant packaging advantages since it will be a larger engine? But yeah it seems obvious the Mercedes design is the way to go, but what I meant with the square one comment is that because the design philosophy is so different they may initially be worse off compared to having spent the tokens on iterations of their work so far. They had only just started to have decent reliability so will that go down the drain as well? In the long game it was probably a wise decision, but as I said I think Alonso will be gone before it comes to fruition.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 10:54 am
Posts: 799
Location: Melbourne Australia
Covalent wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Read that Honda are basically trying to create a copy of the Merc engine for next season... Back to square one then? I predict Alonso will be gone before the summer break.

well, to be fair I think I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't possible before because of the token system. But it does offer significant packaging and weight distribution advantages, so why not?

It seems Renault are also engaged in a complete engine redesign, so Honda aren't the only ones.

Don't know if there are any significant packaging advantages since it will be a larger engine? But yeah it seems obvious the Mercedes design is the way to go, but what I meant with the square one comment is that because the design philosophy is so different they may initially be worse off compared to having spent the tokens on iterations of their work so far. They had only just started to have decent reliability so will that go down the drain as well? In the long game it was probably a wise decision, but as I said I think Alonso will be gone before it comes to fruition.


I had thought for a while that the token system backed Renault into a corner re design, but didn't realise that Honda needed a complete redesign as well.

I think if they knew they needed a redesign a while ago, then they might have had these new engines in development for a year or more. It won't be like starting from scratch, but you are right that they might take a while to get up to speed.
Especially with only 4 engines to last a whole season.
I hope Honda can do it as I would love to see some real competition in F1 rather then the Merc show we have had for 3 years.

_________________
I support: Ricciardo
I also like: Perez, Hulk, Sainz, Button and Alonso
I respect: Ham, Vettel and Max


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:41 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2527
https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... /index.php

Excerpt from Hasegawa interview from 21.Dec 2016 about the new PU translated from a poster elsewhere..
Hasegawa wrote:
2017 PU has changed a lot from the prev units both concept wise and packaging wise. I'm convinced that what we are doing is correct, but we are experiencing difficulties and it hasnt been completed yet. That it's not finished yet at this point is considerably severe, and we as a whole team are feeling pressure too.
However, compared to 2016 where we didnt know what to do and had no idea what we should do, now at least we believe it will be quite competitive if what we are trying to make now can be completed, so the rest is about whether we can make it in time or not


Delighted they're more confident about what they are doing(They talk about consulting with foreign engineers in the interview and there was a rumour they had been working with Mahle and AVL Graz like Ferrari did) and also delighted they seem confident if they can get it working it will be competitive.

Not cool it still wasn't working on December 21st though. It's going to be tight I fear but fingers crossed.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 18574
Lotus49 wrote:
https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/motorsports/motorsports/2017/01/10/f12017_split/index.php

Excerpt from Hasegawa interview from 21.Dec 2016 about the new PU translated from a poster elsewhere..
Hasegawa wrote:
2017 PU has changed a lot from the prev units both concept wise and packaging wise. I'm convinced that what we are doing is correct, but we are experiencing difficulties and it hasnt been completed yet. That it's not finished yet at this point is considerably severe, and we as a whole team are feeling pressure too.
However, compared to 2016 where we didnt know what to do and had no idea what we should do, now at least we believe it will be quite competitive if what we are trying to make now can be completed, so the rest is about whether we can make it in time or not


Delighted they're more confident about what they are doing(They talk about consulting with foreign engineers in the interview and there was a rumour they had been working with Mahle and AVL Graz like Ferrari did) and also delighted they seem confident if they can get it working it will be competitive.

Not cool it still wasn't working on December 21st though. It's going to be tight I fear but fingers crossed.

good info, thanks. Although the "considerably severe" part is a little concerning 8O


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:03 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2527
Zoue wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/motorsports/motorsports/2017/01/10/f12017_split/index.php

Excerpt from Hasegawa interview from 21.Dec 2016 about the new PU translated from a poster elsewhere..
Hasegawa wrote:
2017 PU has changed a lot from the prev units both concept wise and packaging wise. I'm convinced that what we are doing is correct, but we are experiencing difficulties and it hasnt been completed yet. That it's not finished yet at this point is considerably severe, and we as a whole team are feeling pressure too.
However, compared to 2016 where we didnt know what to do and had no idea what we should do, now at least we believe it will be quite competitive if what we are trying to make now can be completed, so the rest is about whether we can make it in time or not


Delighted they're more confident about what they are doing(They talk about consulting with foreign engineers in the interview and there was a rumour they had been working with Mahle and AVL Graz like Ferrari did) and also delighted they seem confident if they can get it working it will be competitive.

Not cool it still wasn't working on December 21st though. It's going to be tight I fear but fingers crossed.

good info, thanks. Although the "considerably severe" part is a little concerning 8O


Just a bit yeah :uhoh: . Delighted they are working with the foreign consultants though, and he does sort of confirm they will use the same combustion techniques because they can't compete without them but won't confirm any specifics.

Q from interviewer............"As you explained while ago, fundamentally different technologies like semi-HCCI is necessary in order to catch up with Merc and Ferrari, right"?.

Hasegawa wrote:
I think so. I cannot disclose what sort of technology in specifics yet, but we have researched and considered all those new technologies being talked about publicly. Last May, we discussed possibility of "why not put 2017 development at the core and introduce what can be used for 2016 from there", but we reached the conclusion that we wouldn't be able to make it in time that way



Also confirms they want a customer for 2018 and Sauber and Williams are rumoured to be interested. Really surprised by the Williams bit, I'd read Sauber a few times from different places but that's the first I'd heard Williams mentioned.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:09 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2527
Throws some (semi)shade on McLaren in regards to 2017 car that will cheer some people up.....

(Q) ------- Regarding chassis as well, you were forced to struggle due to correlation errors in simulation etc last year, but is 2017 machine alright?

Hasegawa wrote:
As a matter of fact, I have no idea (laughs). But I trust the team in McLaren, and think it will be solid at least. As for sudden huge improvement at the timing of big reg change like this year, RBR is a concern among others (laughs). Mclaren is solid for good and bad, so I dont think they will fail big time, but at the same time sth like "it's suddenly got better a lot!" may not happen either, I imagine

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am
Posts: 1737
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Lotus49 wrote:
Throws some (semi)shade on McLaren in regards to 2017 car that will cheer some people up.....

(Q) ------- Regarding chassis as well, you were forced to struggle due to correlation errors in simulation etc last year, but is 2017 machine alright?

Hasegawa wrote:
As a matter of fact, I have no idea (laughs). But I trust the team in McLaren, and think it will be solid at least. As for sudden huge improvement at the timing of big reg change like this year, RBR is a concern among others (laughs). Mclaren is solid for good and bad, so I dont think they will fail big time, but at the same time sth like "it's suddenly got better a lot!" may not happen either, I imagine


It's always been clear to anyone that wanted to actually look that the McLaren chassis was for the most part the 4th or 5th best last year. Not the shining pinnacle of a car that they make out. They've actually Changed their tune on that fact since the season ended which is nice, no need to market so hard any more.

Hopefully they can bring something a bit more special this year, and I'm excited to see what random crazy contraption they'll bring this season as well. For better or worse they always do something weird.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:19 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2527
Blackhander wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Throws some (semi)shade on McLaren in regards to 2017 car that will cheer some people up.....

(Q) ------- Regarding chassis as well, you were forced to struggle due to correlation errors in simulation etc last year, but is 2017 machine alright?

Hasegawa wrote:
As a matter of fact, I have no idea (laughs). But I trust the team in McLaren, and think it will be solid at least. As for sudden huge improvement at the timing of big reg change like this year, RBR is a concern among others (laughs). Mclaren is solid for good and bad, so I dont think they will fail big time, but at the same time sth like "it's suddenly got better a lot!" may not happen either, I imagine


It's always been clear to anyone that wanted to actually look that the McLaren chassis was for the most part the 4th or 5th best last year. Not the shining pinnacle of a car that they make out. They've actually Changed their tune on that fact since the season ended which is nice, no need to market so hard any more.

Hopefully they can bring something a bit more special this year, and I'm excited to see what random crazy contraption they'll bring this season as well. For better or worse they always do something weird.


I'm holding out hope on some crazy looking bargeboards personally. :D

They've been eerily quiet about the whole suspension shenanigans around RB and Mercedes. Don't know if that's good or bad but if they don't come up with something similar in that department, or get it working as well as the others if they've got something similar, they'll struggle I fear.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 6991
Not looking like they are going to get it sorted in time is a better position than they have been in of not going to get it sorted.

What is the rule with the engine now? the one that is used in the first race has to be used all year, or can the total design be changed anytime?

That is, can they use last years engine if they need to for the first race, or two, then use the new one? (it wil obviously count as one of the engine allocation)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am
Posts: 1737
Location: Brisbane, Australia
moby wrote:
Not looking like they are going to get it sorted in time is a better position than they have been in of not going to get it sorted.

What is the rule with the engine now? the one that is used in the first race has to be used all year, or can the total design be changed anytime?

That is, can they use last years engine if they need to for the first race, or two, then use the new one? (it wil obviously count as one of the engine allocation)


I'm fairly sure as last year's engines are already homulgated they can use them if need be.and switch to the new engine when they replace the first one.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:40 pm
Posts: 42
I see Zak Brown has confirmed he has signed of the McLaren livery for the new season....could McLaren finally be moving away from the dull colour scheme of the last 2 years? Here's to hoping there's a new livery to start with and secondly that it brings more success!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 1263
this thread is pretty much like all the other mc honda threads that never end, and go nowhere-3 years and still only midfield, or can we expect a few podiums in 2017, lets face it , its about time


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am
Posts: 1737
Location: Brisbane, Australia
ScottR267 wrote:
I see Zak Brown has confirmed he has signed of the McLaren livery for the new season....could McLaren finally be moving away from the dull colour scheme of the last 2 years? Here's to hoping there's a new livery to start with and secondly that it brings more success!


They've probably just eliminated one more colour from their mix. Can't have those crazy design features such as aesthetics distracting people.

That or they've painted the entire car hospital gown blue so that it finally matches how sterile and heartless the team culture has become

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:08 pm
Posts: 3586
Covalent wrote:
Read that Honda are basically trying to create a copy of the Merc engine for next season... Back to square one then? I predict Alonso will be gone before the summer break.

Lol so pessimistic.

Remember that the token system is gone.
They can basically design a completely new PU for every 4 races or so, they can try a Mercedes copy and if it doesnt work they can try another more conservative design.

If Alonso really likes the 2017 cars and allows him to push to the hardest, and if those can allow the better drivers to make a difference, he will probably stay longer than 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 am
Posts: 856
nixxxon wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Read that Honda are basically trying to create a copy of the Merc engine for next season... Back to square one then? I predict Alonso will be gone before the summer break.

Lol so pessimistic.

Remember that the token system is gone.
They can basically design a completely new PU for every 4 races or so, they can try a Mercedes copy and if it doesnt work they can try another more conservative design.

If Alonso really likes the 2017 cars and allows him to push to the hardest, and if those can allow the better drivers to make a difference, he will probably stay longer than 2017


Or go extreme and design a new PU for every race if they are willing to take grid penalty's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 2320
http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/01/18/ ... kes-sense/

Possible williams-honda partnership? Article makes a lot of sense and i can see redbull wanting a honda power unit too in the future especially if renault starts derating these tag heuer units. Of course assuming that honda can finally put out a competitive engine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:40 pm
Posts: 42
http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partner ... 1-1111156/

Another partnership signed up for McLaren! Looks as if this is more of a technical partnership than it is a commercial partnership. Interesting though that it's Jonathan Neale in the header photo and not Zak Brown.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:40 pm
Posts: 42
So is confirmed now that capito has left the team. Whilst I doubt he had any significant involvement in next years car, surely it is alarming that more and more personnel are leaving and yet no one is joining (or at least I haven't heard of anyone new joining, correct me if I'm wrong)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1640
ScottR267 wrote:
So is confirmed now that capito has left the team. Whilst I doubt he had any significant involvement in next years car, surely it is alarming that more and more personnel are leaving and yet no one is joining (or at least I haven't heard of anyone new joining, correct me if I'm wrong)

I get the feeling that they're simply getting rid of the deadwood in the team. They don't necessarily need immediate replacements but time will tell as to whether this new 'direction' will pay off for them on the track.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
Podium finishes - Australia 2015 (3rd), Austria 2016 (3rd)
2015 Position: 30th (2246 points)
2016 Position: 17th (2824 points)

#KeepFightingMichael
#JB17


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 3478
Location: Michigan, USA
MistaVega23 wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:
So is confirmed now that capito has left the team. Whilst I doubt he had any significant involvement in next years car, surely it is alarming that more and more personnel are leaving and yet no one is joining (or at least I haven't heard of anyone new joining, correct me if I'm wrong)

I get the feeling that they're simply getting rid of the deadwood in the team. They don't necessarily need immediate replacements but time will tell as to whether this new 'direction' will pay off for them on the track.

How is Capito the dead wood? He just joined!

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am
Posts: 1737
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Exediron wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:
So is confirmed now that capito has left the team. Whilst I doubt he had any significant involvement in next years car, surely it is alarming that more and more personnel are leaving and yet no one is joining (or at least I haven't heard of anyone new joining, correct me if I'm wrong)

I get the feeling that they're simply getting rid of the deadwood in the team. They don't necessarily need immediate replacements but time will tell as to whether this new 'direction' will pay off for them on the track.

How is Capito the dead wood? He just joined!


From what I read I got the impression that the budget he was requiring to turn the team around was far and above what the board were willing to pay, even short term, and that they'd failed to come to a compromise so effectively there was no point in him being there without the resources and both sides agreed to separate

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:40 pm
Posts: 42
Dead wood is a little harsh. Surplus to requirements I would say. Another employee leaving to Williams according to motorsport last night! Very alarming that names are leaving yet have not seen anyone come into McLaren!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1640
Yes, maybe deadwood was a tad harsh given his relatively short tenure; however given that he was appointed by Ron, I can't help but think that the team are now eager to create a new identity by getting rid of anyone that Ron was involved in appointing during his last 12 months or so running the team.

But then again, that doesn't explain Dave Redding's departure to Williams!

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
Podium finishes - Australia 2015 (3rd), Austria 2016 (3rd)
2015 Position: 30th (2246 points)
2016 Position: 17th (2824 points)

#KeepFightingMichael
#JB17


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 8460
Location: Ireland
Blackhander wrote:
Exediron wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:
So is confirmed now that capito has left the team. Whilst I doubt he had any significant involvement in next years car, surely it is alarming that more and more personnel are leaving and yet no one is joining (or at least I haven't heard of anyone new joining, correct me if I'm wrong)

I get the feeling that they're simply getting rid of the deadwood in the team. They don't necessarily need immediate replacements but time will tell as to whether this new 'direction' will pay off for them on the track.

How is Capito the dead wood? He just joined!


From what I read I got the impression that the budget he was requiring to turn the team around was far and above what the board were willing to pay, even short term, and that they'd failed to come to a compromise so effectively there was no point in him being there without the resources and both sides agreed to separate

Unfortunately I reckon Capito was probably right. McLaren aren't going to get to the top being frugal

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 1549
MistaVega23 wrote:
Yes, maybe deadwood was a tad harsh given his relatively short tenure; however given that he was appointed by Ron, I can't help but think that the team are now eager to create a new identity by getting rid of anyone that Ron was involved in appointing during his last 12 months or so running the team.

But then again, that doesn't explain Dave Redding's departure to Williams!


Wasn't Ron involved in recruiting Brown? So I'm not sure that is the case.

_________________
Group Pick 'Em 2016 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 18574
Herb wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
Yes, maybe deadwood was a tad harsh given his relatively short tenure; however given that he was appointed by Ron, I can't help but think that the team are now eager to create a new identity by getting rid of anyone that Ron was involved in appointing during his last 12 months or so running the team.

But then again, that doesn't explain Dave Redding's departure to Williams!


Wasn't Ron involved in recruiting Brown? So I'm not sure that is the case.

Yes, Brown's said more than once that Ron recruited him


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:40 pm
Posts: 42
Has anyone heard of any new arrivals into McLaren with the departures they have had?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:40 pm
Posts: 42
Whilst it doesn't appear that McLaren are likely to return to the forefront anytime soon, it does appear that even in troubled times McLaren are picking up sponsorship as per the below, albeit by the importance of sticker on the car it doesn't appear like they'll be big sponsorship in terms of revenue! At least this is something positive......

http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments ... h-Logitech

http://www.eppm.com/industry-news/strat ... claren-f1/

https://www.pitpass.com/58696/McLaren-p ... n-campaign

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside- ... a-5133652/

http://www.blackbook.biz/business_news/ ... an-market/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:57 am
Posts: 878
Location: Brazil
I mock Honda a lot, but I'm sad to see them in F1 now. The company that won five straight WDCs before 1992 with Williams and McLaren, now going through a terrible slump.

In a way, Renault's current form is also disastrous for a company whose engines used to be the most coveted on the grid.

The McLaren chassis might not be that good either, since McLaren themselves weren't anything special in 2014 with Mercedes power, but ATM the engine is like an anchor to the team.

Williams is never winning anything either with Mercedes running cars as a constructor and their current driver lineup. :(

_________________
Image

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 3558
Pole2Win wrote:
I mock Honda a lot, but I'm sad to see them in F1 now. The company that won five straight WDCs before 1992 with Williams and McLaren, now going through a terrible slump.

In a way, Renault's current form is also disastrous for a company whose engines used to be the most coveted on the grid.

The McLaren chassis might not be that good either, since McLaren themselves weren't anything special in 2014 with Mercedes power, but ATM the engine is like an anchor to the team.

Williams is never winning anything either with Mercedes running cars as a constructor and their current driver lineup. :(

I too am saddened to see Honda struggle so mightily. I only hope that they stick around for the next major engine rules change and get their act together between now and then so that they can actually take advantage of that opportunity. We need a Japanese manufacturer and it would be great to get an American one as well (though I wouldn't hold my breath on that).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 249
Pole2Win wrote:
I mock Honda a lot, but I'm sad to see them in F1 now. The company that won five straight WDCs before 1992 with Williams and McLaren, now going through a terrible slump.

In a way, Renault's current form is also disastrous for a company whose engines used to be the most coveted on the grid.

The McLaren chassis might not be that good either, since McLaren themselves weren't anything special in 2014 with Mercedes power, but ATM the engine is like an anchor to the team.

Williams is never winning anything either with Mercedes running cars as a constructor and their current driver lineup. :(


I would not call Renault's engines a disaster. They may not be #1, but they are good and competitive. Something that can't even be remotely dreamed of Honda's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm
Posts: 481
Too many people with low energy and bad karma in that team right now..

Engine is not the only problem..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 249
Pullrod wrote:
Too many people with low energy and bad karma in that team right now..

Engine is not the only problem..


It's 99.9% of the problem. Fix that and the rest can be worked on. McLaren is going NOWHERE with Honda.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:11 pm
Posts: 1580
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Too many people with low energy and bad karma in that team right now..

Engine is not the only problem..


It's 99.9% of the problem. Fix that and the rest can be worked on. McLaren is going NOWHERE with Honda.


but all the bad karma that Alonso brings from 2007 is costing Honda alot of horsepower... :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 3558
I seriously doubt they'd be out of the midfield even with a better engine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:57 am
Posts: 878
Location: Brazil
sandman1347 wrote:
I seriously doubt they'd be out of the midfield even with a better engine.


2014 strongly hints to that.

_________________
Image

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 3478
Location: Michigan, USA
Pole2Win wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
I seriously doubt they'd be out of the midfield even with a better engine.

2014 strongly hints to that.

Ferrari wasn't out of the midfield that year, either. Just because Macca had a mediocre chassis that year doesn't mean they'd necessarily have one now.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 3558
Exediron wrote:
Pole2Win wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
I seriously doubt they'd be out of the midfield even with a better engine.

2014 strongly hints to that.

Ferrari wasn't out of the midfield that year, either. Just because Macca had a mediocre chassis that year doesn't mean they'd necessarily have one now.

The deeper question is; can anyone hope to really challenge Ferrari or Mercedes in this era? They have the ability to holistically design their chassis and engine to work in unison with each other and can withold some of the bells and whistles from their customers' engines. How can a customer hope to compete? I think Red Bull must be realizing this themselves now and McLaren must too. That's why they are sticking with Honda. Ultimately, if Honda leaves, McLaren will well and truly complete their journey along the same path that Williams traveled before them.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], jono794 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group