planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:40 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:57 am
Posts: 907
Location: Brazil
sandman1347 wrote:
The deeper question is; can anyone hope to really challenge Ferrari or Mercedes in this era? They have the ability to holistically design their chassis and engine to work in unison with each other and can withold some of the bells and whistles from their customers' engines. How can a customer hope to compete? I think Red Bull must be realizing this themselves now and McLaren must too. That's why they are sticking with Honda. Ultimately, if Honda leaves, McLaren will well and truly complete their journey along the same path that Williams traveled before them.


Renault is also a works team, and look where they are now. Though their budget is much smaller, I believe.

_________________
Image

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 3695
Pole2Win wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
The deeper question is; can anyone hope to really challenge Ferrari or Mercedes in this era? They have the ability to holistically design their chassis and engine to work in unison with each other and can withold some of the bells and whistles from their customers' engines. How can a customer hope to compete? I think Red Bull must be realizing this themselves now and McLaren must too. That's why they are sticking with Honda. Ultimately, if Honda leaves, McLaren will well and truly complete their journey along the same path that Williams traveled before them.


Renault is also a works team, and look where they are now. Though their budget is much smaller, I believe.

Yeah they don't really spend like a works team. Being a works team isn't a guarantee of success but I'll go out on a limb and say I think Renault will surpass RBR by next season. That may sound like madness but I actually believe they are very close to Red Bull right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:48 pm
Posts: 604
How about less talk and more action?

After months of complaining about the Honda engine, both DNFs for Alonso were caused by chassis-related failures.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 8820
Location: Ireland
Pole2Win wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
The deeper question is; can anyone hope to really challenge Ferrari or Mercedes in this era? They have the ability to holistically design their chassis and engine to work in unison with each other and can withold some of the bells and whistles from their customers' engines. How can a customer hope to compete? I think Red Bull must be realizing this themselves now and McLaren must too. That's why they are sticking with Honda. Ultimately, if Honda leaves, McLaren will well and truly complete their journey along the same path that Williams traveled before them.


Renault is also a works team, and look where they are now. Though their budget is much smaller, I believe.

Renault have a massive rebuilding job on their hands. You don't just take over a team that had been at rock bottom financially, cutting staff left, right and centre and letting its facilities go out of date and turn it into a world beater overnight

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2743
Yeah the restructuring job Renault face is as big a job as getting the car right. They're basically at Mercedes 2010/11 level and they need that investment and recruitment drive Mercedes went on to push on to 2012/13 level never mind 2014 onwards.

But it will come if the desire is there, they've won every other time they've entered as a works team.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2743
http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp- ... b45ee.html

Ignore that it's from Marca as it's being reported elsewhere but it looks like Honda will be testing a new PU in the post Bahrain tests next week that offers a large improvement. If everything goes well it could debut in Russia instead of Spain.

On maybe not unrelated news Alonso posted this on instagram."Good things are coming".https://www.instagram.com/p/BSvzZ9klJio/

Could be coincidence of course but hopefully everything goes well next week and we can see a big improvement from Russia onwards.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 3695
^^^
Fingers crossed. I would really like to see McLaren get back in the mix at least at the midfield level. It's painful watching this for so many years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 19149
Lotus49 wrote:
http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp-bahrein/2017/04/10/58ebb532468aeba2048b45ee.html

Ignore that it's from Marca as it's being reported elsewhere but it looks like Honda will be testing a new PU in the post Bahrain tests next week that offers a large improvement. If everything goes well it could debut in Russia instead of Spain.

On maybe not unrelated news Alonso posted this on instagram."Good things are coming".https://www.instagram.com/p/BSvzZ9klJio/

Could be coincidence of course but hopefully everything goes well next week and we can see a big improvement from Russia onwards.

Oh I'm so wishing that this is true and they have a silver lining to look forward to!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 3732
Location: Michigan, USA
Lotus49 wrote:
http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp-bahrein/2017/04/10/58ebb532468aeba2048b45ee.html

Ignore that it's from Marca as it's being reported elsewhere but it looks like Honda will be testing a new PU in the post Bahrain tests next week that offers a large improvement. If everything goes well it could debut in Russia instead of Spain.

On maybe not unrelated news Alonso posted this on instagram."Good things are coming".https://www.instagram.com/p/BSvzZ9klJio/

Could be coincidence of course but hopefully everything goes well next week and we can see a big improvement from Russia onwards.

This had better be true! :(

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:40 pm
Posts: 45
Lotus49 wrote:
http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp-bahrein/2017/04/10/58ebb532468aeba2048b45ee.html

Ignore that it's from Marca as it's being reported elsewhere but it looks like Honda will be testing a new PU in the post Bahrain tests next week that offers a large improvement. If everything goes well it could debut in Russia instead of Spain.

On maybe not unrelated news Alonso posted this on instagram."Good things are coming".https://www.instagram.com/p/BSvzZ9klJio/

Could be coincidence of course but hopefully everything goes well next week and we can see a big improvement from Russia onwards.


As a big time McLaren fan here's to hoping that this is true and is a dramatic improvement on what they currently are running with! Surely they can't create another dud engine?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2743
I'm not getting my hopes up but if they can at least get it down to a similar gap as last year or below it will be a start and should let them fight for the last few spots in the top 10 at least.

Alonso has nearly got there as it is but I think he'd have fallen a bit short once the cars behind him didn't need to save fuel as much late in the race. Fuel was said to be critical in Oz before the car let out I read somewhere.

Fingers crossed it's the step we've all been waiting for and they can get a lot closer than last year though. If that Alonso post is about the new spec then I doubt he'd get excited about just matching last years gap.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 2471
Its impressive that they already have the new engine ready for testing already. Wasnt it supposed to be introduced around Canada? That is way ahead of schedule. Just hope it isnt another disaster.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2743
I'm guessing Alonso's insta post was about the Indy 500 rather than the new unit being tested at Bahrain unfortunately.

Back to pessimistic now but I hope I'm wrong of course.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 1768
Location: England
Joe Saward has been heavily suggesting in his most recent notebook that Honda have finally accepted outside help with the engine (and reading between the lines, he seems to be saying that Mercedes may have given them a shove in the right direction) and that we should be unsurprised to see a large performance increase following the summer break

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/04 ... om-manama/

_________________
http://tsatr.mooo.com
The Sun and The Rain - The reluctant runner.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 pm
Posts: 1394
If Honda's new engine doesn't have that gloriously dirty off throttle sound then I'm not interested, frankly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:07 pm
Posts: 232
Location: Austin, USA
A good way to move ahead in the field is to start by making sure your brand new engine lasts a whole race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 19149
When Alonso slowed in the last lap of the race, I thought to myself he's just sending McHonda a message and the engine's not damaged at all (it sounded fine). Sure enough, Ted Kravitz voiced the same suspicion in his notebook. Apparently in the Spanish press they said Alonso had told McLaren he would fight tooth and nail during the race, but if out of the points on the last lap he'd retire rather than cross the finish line...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 514
Zoue wrote:
When Alonso slowed in the last lap of the race, I thought to myself he's just sending McHonda a message and the engine's not damaged at all (it sounded fine). Sure enough, Ted Kravitz voiced the same suspicion in his notebook. Apparently in the Spanish press they said Alonso had told McLaren he would fight tooth and nail during the race, but if out of the points on the last lap he'd retire rather than cross the finish line...


McLaren said that their engine broke in Alonso's car. Due to the limitations on engines, would it get McLaren in trouble to report to the FIA that an engine expired and then it turn out not to be true?

I have no idea how this works out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 3695
Zoue wrote:
When Alonso slowed in the last lap of the race, I thought to myself he's just sending McHonda a message and the engine's not damaged at all (it sounded fine). Sure enough, Ted Kravitz voiced the same suspicion in his notebook. Apparently in the Spanish press they said Alonso had told McLaren he would fight tooth and nail during the race, but if out of the points on the last lap he'd retire rather than cross the finish line...

You're saying he faked an engine failure? For what purpose?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 19149
sandman1347 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
When Alonso slowed in the last lap of the race, I thought to myself he's just sending McHonda a message and the engine's not damaged at all (it sounded fine). Sure enough, Ted Kravitz voiced the same suspicion in his notebook. Apparently in the Spanish press they said Alonso had told McLaren he would fight tooth and nail during the race, but if out of the points on the last lap he'd retire rather than cross the finish line...

You're saying he faked an engine failure? For what purpose?

I can't remember the exact wording, but TD said McLaren said something on the lines that Alonso "felt" there was something wrong with the engine, which TK took to mean that actually there wasn't, except in the broader sense that the whole engine is "wrong" anyway.

As to motive, can only guess here but probably a combination of pride and a message to Honda that they don't deserve to finish if they can't even get in the points


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 514
Zoue wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
When Alonso slowed in the last lap of the race, I thought to myself he's just sending McHonda a message and the engine's not damaged at all (it sounded fine). Sure enough, Ted Kravitz voiced the same suspicion in his notebook. Apparently in the Spanish press they said Alonso had told McLaren he would fight tooth and nail during the race, but if out of the points on the last lap he'd retire rather than cross the finish line...

You're saying he faked an engine failure? For what purpose?

I can't remember the exact wording, but TD said McLaren said something on the lines that Alonso "felt" there was something wrong with the engine, which TK took to mean that actually there wasn't, except in the broader sense that the whole engine is "wrong" anyway.

As to motive, can only guess here but probably a combination of pride and a message to Honda that they don't deserve to finish if they can't even get in the points


A gutsy move if true, but one I would fully support. Honda should be flogged as hard as humanly possible for this disgrace of an engine that they have produced. It's an appalling effort by them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7117
I think the time has come for them to aim for the moon first, then look to the stars. Good try, but it is a step too far.

I see their point in that if they bring in an engine guru who worked on the Merc, their engine will resemble the Merc.
Someone said why re-invent the light bulb? Well if everyone went that road we would not have florescent tubes, sodium arc or LED lights. Yes, it never worked for the wheel, but some you win, others Honda build :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 3695
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
When Alonso slowed in the last lap of the race, I thought to myself he's just sending McHonda a message and the engine's not damaged at all (it sounded fine). Sure enough, Ted Kravitz voiced the same suspicion in his notebook. Apparently in the Spanish press they said Alonso had told McLaren he would fight tooth and nail during the race, but if out of the points on the last lap he'd retire rather than cross the finish line...

You're saying he faked an engine failure? For what purpose?

I can't remember the exact wording, but TD said McLaren said something on the lines that Alonso "felt" there was something wrong with the engine, which TK took to mean that actually there wasn't, except in the broader sense that the whole engine is "wrong" anyway.

As to motive, can only guess here but probably a combination of pride and a message to Honda that they don't deserve to finish if they can't even get in the points


A gutsy move if true, but one I would fully support. Honda should be flogged as hard as humanly possible for this disgrace of an engine that they have produced. It's an appalling effort by them.

Sure we all think the engine is a disgrace but I would be a little surprised if Alonso actually unilaterally decided to just not finish the race. What about all the hundreds of people on the team and at the factory that work their tail off to get that car to the grid. I think that would be a very lousy thing for Fred to do if true.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm
Posts: 529
sandman1347 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
When Alonso slowed in the last lap of the race, I thought to myself he's just sending McHonda a message and the engine's not damaged at all (it sounded fine). Sure enough, Ted Kravitz voiced the same suspicion in his notebook. Apparently in the Spanish press they said Alonso had told McLaren he would fight tooth and nail during the race, but if out of the points on the last lap he'd retire rather than cross the finish line...

You're saying he faked an engine failure? For what purpose?

I can't remember the exact wording, but TD said McLaren said something on the lines that Alonso "felt" there was something wrong with the engine, which TK took to mean that actually there wasn't, except in the broader sense that the whole engine is "wrong" anyway.

As to motive, can only guess here but probably a combination of pride and a message to Honda that they don't deserve to finish if they can't even get in the points


A gutsy move if true, but one I would fully support. Honda should be flogged as hard as humanly possible for this disgrace of an engine that they have produced. It's an appalling effort by them.

Sure we all think the engine is a disgrace but I would be a little surprised if Alonso actually unilaterally decided to just not finish the race. What about all the hundreds of people on the team and at the factory that work their tail off to get that car to the grid. I think that would be a very lousy thing for Fred to do if true.


It is not the first time that it happens and it goes back to when Button was his teammate.
He simply doesn't care and he is there just for himself, to look Alpha and to let people know he is the best.

I believe he is simply the WRONG person for this kind of project and I have no idea why this farce continues.
It is OK to be frustrated but with this kind of attitude and atmosphere, there is ZERO chance for McLaren to become the best car in the near future. Guaranteed.
I am sure many young engineers are sending their CV around to leave that team as we speak. It must be toxic there.
It was the same in Ferrari.. all the merits to Alonso and the blame to the team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 514
sandman1347 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
When Alonso slowed in the last lap of the race, I thought to myself he's just sending McHonda a message and the engine's not damaged at all (it sounded fine). Sure enough, Ted Kravitz voiced the same suspicion in his notebook. Apparently in the Spanish press they said Alonso had told McLaren he would fight tooth and nail during the race, but if out of the points on the last lap he'd retire rather than cross the finish line...

You're saying he faked an engine failure? For what purpose?

I can't remember the exact wording, but TD said McLaren said something on the lines that Alonso "felt" there was something wrong with the engine, which TK took to mean that actually there wasn't, except in the broader sense that the whole engine is "wrong" anyway.

As to motive, can only guess here but probably a combination of pride and a message to Honda that they don't deserve to finish if they can't even get in the points


A gutsy move if true, but one I would fully support. Honda should be flogged as hard as humanly possible for this disgrace of an engine that they have produced. It's an appalling effort by them.

Sure we all think the engine is a disgrace but I would be a little surprised if Alonso actually unilaterally decided to just not finish the race. What about all the hundreds of people on the team and at the factory that work their tail off to get that car to the grid. I think that would be a very lousy thing for Fred to do if true.


He could be doing this move for the entire McLaren team. They must be as dejected as him having their chassis completely handicapped with the Honda engine. Alonso's message is to Honda, not McLaren. I am certain that Alonso is not alone being completely disgusted with Honda.

That said, I have idea if this rumor is true. It is very likely that his Honda engine simply broke. More than likely actually.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2743
If he did retire it deliberately it would be to get a new gearbox I would imagine. If they're not getting the points then it's the smart thing go do. But it's just Ted's theories again based on Spanish press. He was putting forward Alonso deliberately ran the car out of fuel in Melbourne too the other week.

He likes his theories about Alonso from everything like the lack of merchandise in the McLaren shop pointing to not even starting the season to sabbaticals and now this. The last couple of seasons have been good for Ted.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Last edited by Lotus49 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2743
Honda are to try out some new concepts in the PU over the Bahrain test. Not a completely new PU though, just different ideas to try out.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... st-895149/

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7117
Here's a spanner in the works. :twisted:

IF Honda pick up their ball and go home, there is a new rule to be sure no team is left without an engine, that says if a deal is not done, the builder supplying the least teams must step in. 8O (Assuming the TAG is still considered a Renault)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2743
moby wrote:
Here's a spanner in the works. :twisted:

IF Honda pick up their ball and go home, there is a new rule to be sure no team is left without an engine, that says if a deal is not done, the builder supplying the least teams must step in. 8O (Assuming the TAG is still considered a Renault)


Renault-RB and STR
Mercedes-FI and Williams
Ferrari-Haas and Sauber(2016).

It would go to a ballot then and if we got a McLaren-Ferrari then Ron would go nuclear. :uhoh:

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7117
Lotus49 wrote:
moby wrote:
Here's a spanner in the works. :twisted:

IF Honda pick up their ball and go home, there is a new rule to be sure no team is left without an engine, that says if a deal is not done, the builder supplying the least teams must step in. 8O (Assuming the TAG is still considered a Renault)


Renault-RB and STR
Mercedes-FI and Williams
Ferrari-Haas and Sauber(2016).

It would go to a ballot then and if we got a McLaren-Ferrari then Ron would go nuclear. :uhoh:



I was thinking along the lines of Sauber staying with Honda as it seems to be a done deal, unless that would automaticly make Honda the supplier, even worse :]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2743
moby wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
moby wrote:
Here's a spanner in the works. :twisted:

IF Honda pick up their ball and go home, there is a new rule to be sure no team is left without an engine, that says if a deal is not done, the builder supplying the least teams must step in. 8O (Assuming the TAG is still considered a Renault)


Renault-RB and STR
Mercedes-FI and Williams
Ferrari-Haas and Sauber(2016).

It would go to a ballot then and if we got a McLaren-Ferrari then Ron would go nuclear. :uhoh:



I was thinking along the lines of Sauber staying with Honda as it seems to be a done deal, unless that would automaticly make Honda the supplier, even worse :]


Sauber deal is for next year I believe. They ain't swapping mid-season. They chose a year old engine to save money so there's no way they're going to re-design their chassis for an even worse unit is there?.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 4:05 am
Posts: 248
Would Mclaren Honda be allowed to do the following?

1) Withdraw from this season in F1.
2) Rent out Suzuka from now until the end of the year. Owned by a subsidiary of Honda.
3) Do unlimited testing
4) Come back next year with a better car/engine package.

This would save them the public relations disaster that they are currently facing, and the expense of taking their scrap-heap of a car from country to country.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7117
shay550 wrote:
Would Mclaren Honda be allowed to do the following?

1) Withdraw from this season in F1.
2) Rent out Suzuka from now until the end of the year. Owned by a subsidiary of Honda.
3) Do unlimited testing
4) Come back next year with a better car/engine package.

This would save them the public relations disaster that they are currently facing, and the expense of taking their scrap-heap of a car from country to country.



They do not have to withdraw. The rules only stop them testing with the engine that is in the F1 car now.

They can design and test 5 different engines as much as they like as long as it is significantly different from the one in the car. For instance, the same architecture etc but a straight 3 cylinder or v4?

Then again, it was the transfer from single to 6 that was the worst problem so maybe not a 100% win


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 7:23 pm
Posts: 186
from what i hear more and more, on sky and other places around, the car has a lot of grip and seems to be quite good in the corners.

i do hope honda find a decent package, as if it is true, it would be a shame to waste a good car.

at the same time, i must admit that all the struggle with the engine, will deliver huge gains in the other departments, as all the engineers have to work their magic around it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm
Posts: 529
Lotus49 wrote:
If he did retire it deliberately it would be to get a new gearbox I would imagine. If they're not getting the points then it's the smart thing go do. But it's just Ted's theories again based on Spanish press. He was putting forward Alonso deliberately ran the car out of fuel in Melbourne too the other week.

He likes his theories about Alonso from everything like the lack of merchandise in the McLaren shop pointing to not even starting the season to sabbaticals and now this. The last couple of seasons have been good for Ted.


I don't want to call you naive but it has been around for a while now and is the reason why Alonso is performing "miracles" with the hopeless McLaren.
There was even a team radio last year(or 2015?) where he said himself he was not interested in using conservative settings just to finish the race(like others around him).
How many times now has he retired the car immediately after an overtake? And how many times has he congratulated himself on the radio after a good move?

Alonso is very sharp and I always called him a marketing genius(no joke). He would have made a fortune if he was not a driver with his ability to warp reality. Shrewd.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 9999
moby wrote:
They do not have to withdraw. The rules only stop them testing with the engine that is in the F1 car now.

They can design and test 5 different engines as much as they like as long as it is significantly different from the one in the car.


They can't use the car though. It would have to be some kind of testing mule, vastly differing from one that is compliant to the 2017 technical regulations.

_________________
Supporting all drivers with surnames starting with "V".

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 2743
Pullrod wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
If he did retire it deliberately it would be to get a new gearbox I would imagine. If they're not getting the points then it's the smart thing go do. But it's just Ted's theories again based on Spanish press. He was putting forward Alonso deliberately ran the car out of fuel in Melbourne too the other week.

He likes his theories about Alonso from everything like the lack of merchandise in the McLaren shop pointing to not even starting the season to sabbaticals and now this. The last couple of seasons have been good for Ted.


I don't want to call you naive but it has been around for a while now and is the reason why Alonso is performing "miracles" with the hopeless McLaren.
There was even a team radio last year(or 2015?) where he said himself he was not interested in using conservative settings just to finish the race(like others around him).
How many times now has he retired the car immediately after an overtake? And how many times has he congratulated himself on the radio after a good move?

Alonso is very sharp and I always called him a marketing genius(no joke). He would have made a fortune if he was not a driver with his ability to warp reality. Shrewd.


No offence but you make Ted look like Briatore when it comes to Alonso theories so I'm not surprised you like them.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:04 pm
Posts: 529
Lotus49 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
If he did retire it deliberately it would be to get a new gearbox I would imagine. If they're not getting the points then it's the smart thing go do. But it's just Ted's theories again based on Spanish press. He was putting forward Alonso deliberately ran the car out of fuel in Melbourne too the other week.

He likes his theories about Alonso from everything like the lack of merchandise in the McLaren shop pointing to not even starting the season to sabbaticals and now this. The last couple of seasons have been good for Ted.


I don't want to call you naive but it has been around for a while now and is the reason why Alonso is performing "miracles" with the hopeless McLaren.
There was even a team radio last year(or 2015?) where he said himself he was not interested in using conservative settings just to finish the race(like others around him).
How many times now has he retired the car immediately after an overtake? And how many times has he congratulated himself on the radio after a good move?

Alonso is very sharp and I always called him a marketing genius(no joke). He would have made a fortune if he was not a driver with his ability to warp reality. Shrewd.


No offence but you make Ted look like Briatore when it comes to Alonso theories so I'm not surprised you like them.


Think about it..
Alonso will always get the benefit of the doubt and unlike Vandoorne, he is in the position where he dictates his strategy and decides what to do or not in the race.

It makes sense to burn your fuel, kill your tyres and use aggressive settings to pass cars and make the show(also on the radio) and then complain when you are without juice saying the engine is rubbish and it is not your fault if you can not fight.

Given the objective catastrophic state in which McLaren is now, Alonso will always get higher ratings than the front runners(exactly like when you are winning races from behind with a better race pace than the guy on pole the day before). Win win for him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 11:03 am
Posts: 215
Oh dear, new spec engine(well i must say 'reportedly') and two laps https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-hits-fresh-problems-in-bahrain-f1-test-895362/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 514
rivf1 wrote:
Oh dear, new spec engine(well i must say 'reportedly') and two laps https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-hits-fresh-problems-in-bahrain-f1-test-895362/


Astonishing. Honda's "new" engine spec didnt last a single hot lap. Two installation laps and it was already broken and had to be changed.

I dont think any reasonable person can have hope in Honda anymore. They are beyond pitiful now.

McLaren's decision to go with Honda has proven to be a profound and seemingly endless catastrophe.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group