Average at best 42%  42%  [ 20 ]
Boring 54%  54%  [ 26 ]
Total votes : 48
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:36 pm 

I like the rear wing particulary the top corners and how they sprout out

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:40 pm 

I hope the merc has that idea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:37 am 

I looks very underwhelming compared to the others so far, but that is almost the trademark of Force India cars- keep it simple, but do it well...kind of the opposite of McLaren who always seem to hedge their bets with a silver bullet every year. The fact that it looks so boring is good thing in my mind. It means that they should have perfected what is there

PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:11 am 

Well it sure is ugly. The good thing is we are here to see cars race and not Miss America. As a Force India fan I would be blown away for them to be able to equal last year's performance. I really don't care what it looks like if it can finish 5th or better by the end of the year. Also, maybe one of the big three or more will come out looking like this.

It sure is ugly though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:56 am 

TheDamus wrote:
Well it sure is ugly. The good thing is we are here to see cars race and not Miss America. As a Force India fan I would be blown away for them to be able to equal last year's performance. I really don't care what it looks like if it can finish 5th or better by the end of the year. Also, maybe one of the big three or more will come out looking like this.

It sure is ugly though.

True. Those with good technical insight can only understand this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:53 am 

Saw some more detailed close-ups last night. There is a lot of intricacy if you look elsewhere from the shark fin.

The nose isn't actually a regular finger nose, but actually still has the nostrils. The turning vanes under the nose, the barge boards, the front wing (of course), the front and side edges of the floor all feature a lot of detailed sculpting. The rear wing endplates, too have a lot going on.

It just shows that even an F1 car that is ugly on first inspection has a lot of exquisite details in close-up. Of course whether they should have all these complicated aero surfaces that are just asking to be disturbed by the wake of the car in front is another matter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:40 am 

FI like to do something special with the nose, they have last year and they have this year. The question I'm asking myself is whether it is smart or not. After all, it is only smart if it works, and looking at last year nobody copied FI's nose. This might tell us one of two things:
a) it is slightly better than the "standard" design, but not enough so for the other teams to spend money on pursuing the same deisgn
b) it is slightly worse than the "standard" design, but not enough so for FI to spend money on implementing the standard design.

Seeing as how the other teams up until now (Renault, Williams, Sauber) are going in the same direction and Mercedes seems to go in an even more traditional way, I'm doubting FI is being so smart here and are pursuing something that isn't better in a tangible way - if not more teams and especially those with big budgets would have something similar.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:30 am 

Some closer pictures:

Source - http://www.racecar-engineering.com

Interesting analysis of the VJM10:
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/force-india-vjm10/

http://en.f1i.com/magazine/89940-f1i-tech-closer-look-force-india-vjm10.html/5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:06 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
And I'd just stuck Perez in my WDC top 10 in the games thread. I'll be removing him sharpish.

Keep him for the time being. That step in the nose up at the bulkhead is to house the third element in the HPC suspension Mercedes have.

Might not be pretty but outside Mercedes and Red Bull, FI were the only team to run it apparently so it should be more developed than the ones Ferrari,STR,Williams and McLaren bring(Assuming they all do).

Might not be pretty but it might be quick. That nose is just a more developed version of their nostril solution too.

You're right. From Autosport:

Quote:
Technical director Andy Green said the nose step was a result of Force India's chosen suspension design, coupled with an area of the rules that limits what teams can do in that area of the car.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
And I'd just stuck Perez in my WDC top 10 in the games thread. I'll be removing him sharpish.

Keep him for the time being. That step in the nose up at the bulkhead is to house the third element in the HPC suspension Mercedes have.

Might not be pretty but outside Mercedes and Red Bull, FI were the only team to run it apparently so it should be more developed than the ones Ferrari,STR,Williams and McLaren bring(Assuming they all do).

Might not be pretty but it might be quick. That nose is just a more developed version of their nostril solution too.

You're right. From Autosport:

Quote:
Technical director Andy Green said the nose step was a result of Force India's chosen suspension design, coupled with an area of the rules that limits what teams can do in that area of the car.

:thumbup:

Guy on another forum spotted it straight away so I just parroted him and hoped he was right :D. Mercedes still knocking it out the park in terms of hiding it, same with the nose. Aesthetics matter at Brackley it seems.

I think Mercedes have it housed slightly further back(And maybe a bit higher) so it just swoops down after it in one clean line.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5WIzBVWYAERvOc.jpg

Or it's just generally much better packaged all around. But either way at least it's on the car so they may have good reason for their lofty aims for 3rd in the WCC if Ferrari are struggling with it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:34 pm 

EDIT: Sorry, Didn't notice that was a pic of last years car. :blush:

Last edited by Lotus49 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:46 pm 

It may not be winning many beauty contests, but the question is how fast it will be and whether Force India have found any clever solutions that other teams haven't. There are some noticable differences about the car, so that could be either good or bad at this point; for now, regardless of how it looks, I appreciate that they're obviously trying something a bit different in the nose area than other teams. Better or worse, only time will tell, but for now it's intriguing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:52 am 

Remmirath wrote:
It may not be winning many beauty contests, but the question is how fast it will be and whether Force India have found any clever solutions that other teams haven't. There are some noticable differences about the car, so that could be either good or bad at this point; for now, regardless of how it looks, I appreciate that they're obviously trying something a bit different in the nose area than other teams. Better or worse, only time will tell, but for now it's intriguing.

True. The team of engineers at Silverstone are notorious for being quite smart, which is why FOrce India has been getting more competitive as the years go by despite the limited funds.

I'm also assuming that the livery will be a little more appealing come Melbourne.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:43 pm 

Explanation given regarding the awkward nose & hump in VJM10:

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/this-is-why-force-indias-new-f1-car-has-the-most-awkwar-1792736041

Excerpts from the article:
'We have tried to exploit an area of the front suspension regulations that improved the characteristics of it from a mechanical perspective.
It does mean that because of the way the regulations are worded, we cannot merge it into the nose as we would like.
There is an exclusion box that we have to respect, so unfortunately we end up with a little bit of a “forehead,” as it is called.'

'It is a different looking nostril as we had last year - the same philosophy. We just opened it up a little bit more.'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:42 pm 

What the hell Force India..from an awesome Tricolour Indian flag livery to this pathetic mess...What were you guys thinking????