planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:18 am 

I know this early days, but can McLaren afford a winless decade?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:21 am 

Merc testing double T-wing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:42 am 

Personally I don't have a problem with the shark fins but that T-wing is horrible...

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:49 am 

This is the important bit.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/day-one-ce ... ing-fears/

Doodley little wings and double barge boards are just distractions. The cars are wider, heavier, faster, use more fuel and are less suited for racing.

Maybe they can invent a new artificial aid to overtaking to liven the year up a bit?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:57 am 

Lol i was just about to type the mclaren problem seemed minor but now Vandoorne is back in the pits again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:02 am 

McLaren oil tank possibly needs a redesign

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:04 am 

Are teams allowed to run the PU fully fitted in the car at the factory like on a chassis dynometer?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:05 am 

babararacucudada wrote:

Doodley little wings and double barge boards are just distractions. The cars are wider, heavier, faster, use more fuel and are less suited for racing.

Maybe they can invent a new artificial aid to overtaking to liven the year up a bit?

Which means, if theoretically Hamilton has a string of bad starts like he did in 2016, he may find himself stuck behind slower cars. Now that's a plot that could add a bit of spice to the championship.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:09 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Which means, if theoretically Hamilton has a string of bad starts like he did in 2016, he may find himself stuck behind slower cars. Now that's a plot that could add a bit of spice to the championship.

Hamilton was pretty good at overtaking in 2007 and 2008. It's so hard to get right, people don't want overtaking to be artificial yet they want it to be a regular occurrence.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:12 am 

Kimi:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:13 am 

Kimi takes 1st with 1:23.718 on medium tyres

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:23 am 

F1 2017 TEST LIVE 24/7 - Formula One Testing Day 2 Barcelona [Teds NoteBook Live Here at 9pm]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHS_zF3NqUs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:33 am 

F1Tyrant wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Hamilton was pretty good at overtaking in 2007 and 2008. It's so hard to get right, people don't want overtaking to be artificial yet they want it to be a regular occurrence.

This. The number of overtakes isn't the determining factor for many. I'd rather have a handful of decent overtakes in a race than a procession of DRS or crappy tyre assisted ones. If the tyres mean the drivers can push and harrass the cars in front then for me it's a huge leap forward

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:35 am 

Uffman wrote:
Kimi:

8)

source: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... be0c3f.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 am 

There's some live footage that has started now on the above youtube link.

I know it's not much but it's the best I can find.

The footage is better than I expected. The Toro Rosso looks tremendous on track.

The McLaren also looks glorious.

The guy just said he's stopping his streaming and will be back in 30 minutes from a different part of the track. When he gets going again I will post the link again.

Those who missed the action, it is being replayed for the next 30 minutes before he comes back to show us more LIVE footage.

Last edited by Invade on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:53 am 

Renault hoping to finish some races on the podium, Mclaren hoping to finish some races too

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:26 am 

From @Gary Anderson

Quote:
It's interesting that Hamilton has produced the fastest time of the day so far at the start of a long run on soft tyres, and it gives us a potential insight into what the Mercedes could be capable with on low fuel. If he did that 1m21.7s with around 80kg of fuel on board that would be worth around 2.4 seconds - so a 21.7s becomes a 19.3s. If he had a race-starting fuel load of closer to 100kg then the potential lap time could be even faster. It's unlikely Mercedes would do a long run like this on a much lower fuel load, as teams need to learn about the tyres when they are under the most stress, and that comes early in a race when the cars are heavy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:40 am 

Zoue wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

This. The number of overtakes isn't the determining factor for many. I'd rather have a handful of decent overtakes in a race than a procession of DRS or crappy tyre assisted ones. If the tyres mean the drivers can push and harrass the cars in front then for me it's a huge leap forward

The tyres have gone in a good direction if they can be run hard and not deteriorate much - but if the cars cannot follow the car in front closely, then that gets negated. What they might do is make tyres that wear out, to give two pit stops. ie. the tyres have a thinner layer of the faster compound, but when it wears through, the next layer is slow enough to make it worthwhile to pit stop.

Testing is seemingly showing that the new owners have a problem to overcome if they want to make F1 more entertaining.

I'd like to see genuine overtakes and cars able to harass the car in front. It's looking like qualifying and starting are going to be even bigger factors this year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:43 am 

Sauber having to change the PU.

PF1 Autosport GP 2017: 3rd Place

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:45 am 

Source - www.autosport.com

Force India looking good here for a change.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:12 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Source - http://www.autosport.com

Force India looking good here for a change.

Sorry, but I'm not on board. x( :-P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:21 am 

From Autosport:
'I've just spent a bit of time standing by the pitlane exit where the drivers do their practice starts and you can get a good look at the cars. Of the top three teams, the Red Bull is the most basic car. There's nothing trick on there and it's all smooth surfaces so I expect there will be parts to come there. If I was writing a development list for the big teams, I would say Mercedes needs to concentrate on the bargeboard area, as although it has a sophisticated arrangement it hasn't fully exploited what is possible. For Ferrari, the focus would be on the diffuser. For Red Bull, it would be both areas.'
Gary Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:29 am 

I will admit that Gary Anderson has forgotten more about car design than I've ever known, but his pre-season insights into the cars always seem to be well off the mark.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:32 am 

From Autosport:
Latest from Honda on today's problems: "We lost power to the power unit. At the moment we don't know what has caused the issue. We are currently changing the power unit in order to investigate fully and identify the cause. We will update you when we have further information."
Lawrence Barretto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:42 am 

It really isn't looking good for McLaren. I really hope they can sort their problems out!

I don't know whether Haas are pushing slightly harder than others on track but they've had two decent days so far.

PF1 Autosport GP 2017: 3rd Place

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:48 am 

Hamilton did 1:20.983 on supersoft tyres

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:48 am 

It's early days but I think it's blatantly apparent that Mercedes are strong. No surprise there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:51 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
From Autosport:
Latest from Honda on today's problems: "We lost power to the power unit. At the moment we don't know what has caused the issue. We are currently changing the power unit in order to investigate fully and identify the cause. We will update you when we have further information."
Lawrence Barretto

I personally think it's embarrassing for Honda that going into their third year they still have constant issues with their PU.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:17 pm 

Very embarrassing. That one year they are behind the others is still costing them a ton. Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:17 pm 

Grizzly B wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
From Autosport:
Lawrence Barretto

I personally think it's embarrassing for Honda that going into their third year they still have constant issues with their PU.

I just feel they don't like a functional car!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:26 pm 

All the early signs are showing this is going to be exactly like last season, mercedes pretty much in their own category and the rest scrapping for the left overs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:37 pm 

Hamilton has a 1:20:983 on SS tyres.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:43 pm 

Confirmed they have to re-design the oil tank on the McHonda which means they also have to re-design some packaging of the PU. Good luck getting that done and actually working by the start of the second test.

If they can get any sort of useful running from these 8 days I'll fall of my chair. Oh and whoever decided to hold the only two test periods so bloody close to each other can bite me as well.

Not taking part in the Pirelli tyre tests was bad enough, they needed this time to understand the tyres and learn real world data about the car(new hpc suspension especially) and push forward with development with both the car and PU. Mercedes are testing double T-Wings while McLaren have to run their PU de-tuned to the max and swap it for a new one every 20 laps so that the bloody oil doesn't pish all over everything.

Learning nothing about absolutely everything.

/rant.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:45 pm 

babararacucudada wrote:

Well some of us said this all along including Mercedes, but some just saw this as Mercedes trying to protect their own interests, so if Mercedes are against the new cars then that's a good thing because the priority for some was to end the Mercedes domination rather than come up with cars that actually improve the racing with Red Bull leading the way with cars that best suit their own interests, when Horner was asked that overtaking might become more difficult with the new cars his response was merely maybe the power of the DRS will need to be increased?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:48 pm 

rivf1 wrote:
All the early signs are showing this is going to be exactly like last season, mercedes pretty much in their own category and the rest scrapping for the left overs.

I'm sorry but no. I'm not saying that won't be the case, but you simply can't say that at this point. Ferrari are having a good test and are not showing to be slower so far - remember they did their best times on two compounds harder tyres.

Either way nobody is going at full blast.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:52 pm 

Zoue wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Being able to harass drivers in front didn't stop the Trulli trains of the past, how can people not see this is the wrong way to go, we will not get good racing until Brawn takes over the reigns and has carte blanche over the technical rules rather than the teams themselves politicking over the rules that they want.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Confirmed they have to re-design the oil tank on the McHonda which means they also have to re-design some packaging of the PU. Good luck getting that done and actually working by the start of the second test.

If they can get any sort of useful running from these 8 days I'll fall of my chair. Oh and whoever decided to hold the only two test periods so bloody close to each other can bite me as well.

Not taking part in the Pirelli tyre tests was bad enough, they needed this time to understand the tyres and learn real world data about the car(new hpc suspension especially) and push forward with development with both the car and PU. Mercedes are testing double T-Wings while McLaren have to run their PU de-tuned to the max and swap it for a new one every 20 laps so that the bloody oil doesn't pish all over everything.

/rant.

I despair. I'm usually defending McHonda but it's getting harder and harder I must say. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:26 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Being able to harass drivers in front didn't stop the Trulli trains of the past, how can people not see this is the wrong way to go, we will not get good racing until Brawn takes over the reigns and has carte blanche over the technical rules rather than the teams themselves politicking over the rules that they want.

Lots of easy overtaking does not make for good racing IMO.

Late 90s - early 00s level had it about right. An overtake was hard thought and that made every single one exciting, an event. When an overtake becomes a formality it loses all excitement for me.

Given the choice I would much rather have drivers driving right on the edge for lap after lap with few overtakes than have them driving slowly in easy cars with many overtakes.

Zoue wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

/rant.

I despair. I'm usually defending McHonda but it's getting harder and harder I must say. :uhoh:

Yep this is really the team that I wanted to make a big step forward this season, Alonso must be feeling himself growing older by the minute.