planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:36 pm 

Here goes...1st race of the 2017 coming up.

For obvious reasons, so much anxiety & hope in the air. So much speculation & assumptions since the last 3 months...all will be laid to rest this weekend!

Hope Ferrari are really strong & if they really are, don't goof up with pit strategies. Wish McLaren loads of luck to save their faces.

NUMBER OF LAPS: 58

CIRCUIT LENGTH: 5.303 KM

RACE DISTANCE: 307.574 KM

LAP RECORD: 1:24.125
BY MICHAEL SCHUMACHER (2004)

Tyres:
Purple-marked ultrasoft tyre
Red-marked supersoft tyre
Yellow-marked soft tyre

Source - http://www.rachf1.com

Last edited by UnlikeUday on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 pm 

On a trial basis as of now, the media interaction (press conference) will be divided into 2 sessions of 25 minutes each. In total, 8 drivers will be accessible in the press conference.

I like this format (new change already)!

Part 1 will have drivers:
Fernando Alonso (McLaren), Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull), Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

Part 2 will have drivers:
Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes), Felipe Massa (Williams), Esteban Ocon (Force India), Lance Stroll (Williams)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:54 pm 

Since the past few days the weather in Melbourne has been down. The weekend looks in better shape though.

Friday should be sunny but there is rain forecast for that night & maybe mid morning on Saturday which could affect FP3 & would make preparations for qualifying frantic to say the least.

Overall, the 1st race weekend of 2017 promises to deliver lots.

http://www.pitpass.com/58577/Sunny-weekend-to-follow-Melbourne-storms

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:14 pm 

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy I'm sooo excited.......

I'm visiting my parents at their place in Florida and guess what, no PVR. Guess I'm gonna have to stay up and watch all this live.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:32 pm 

Oh yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

I'm excited for so many reasons. New cars, new regs, Ferrari looking good in testing. But most of all, it's refreshing not to have the usual 'Hamilton v Rosberg' chit chat that we've had for the last 3 years. It was getting so boring. Hopefully this year's title fight will be the best we've had since 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:45 pm 

Boarding my flight to Melbourne now! Just about wetting my pants with excitement. Third time I've attended Melbourne in four years. Still spewing I missed out last year though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:58 am 

Glasnost wrote:
Boarding my flight to Melbourne now! Just about wetting my pants with excitement. Third time I've attended Melbourne in four years. Still spewing I missed out last year though.

Have a great flight. Lucky You for going to Melbourne again.

Kindly update us with the weather as it's been anything but sunny there. 4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:35 am 

Anyone staying up for practice?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:57 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:

For P1 yes, not so sure about P2.

For me P1 finishes at 2:30am I think, which isn't too much later than an average night, so I may have a nap after work and see if I can make it to P2 :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:00 am 

The Force India car in flesh:

Source - www.gpupdate.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:29 am 

2017 Australia - Drivers Press Conference - Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLoI_UXkcS4

2017 Australia - Drivers Press Conference - Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2xfWHONOz0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:35 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:

I'm torn! I'd love to stay up until 2.30am, but I'm more leaning toward setting my alarm early for FP2 (5-6.30am) and then head off to work. I can catch up on FP1 tomorrow evening then.

UnlikeUday wrote:

Source - http://www.gpupdate.net

Doesn't look too bad in the flesh!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:18 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I'm torn! I'd love to stay up until 2.30am, but I'm more leaning toward setting my alarm early for FP2 (5-6.30am) and then head off to work. I can catch up on FP1 tomorrow evening then.

UnlikeUday wrote:

I saw the nose with the front wing on Formula1.com. It looks gorgeous infact.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:19 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:

I'll be doing so.

Will have to wake at 6:30am in India for that but will follow both the live sessions on TV & follow the live timing on the official site.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:24 am 

Thoughts on the chances of brake failure for the first race? High loads, faster cars.. well, through the corners.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:25 am 

Invade wrote:
Thoughts on the chances of brake failure for the first race? High loads, faster cars.. well, through the corners.

The Haas will be one to keep an eye on

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:26 am 

Reference times, to keep us amused :)

Last year's fastest times:
FP1: 1:29.725
FP2: 1:38.841 (guessing it rained)
FP3: 1:25.624
Qualifying: 1:23.837

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 am 

Invade wrote:

Wouldn't the brakes actually have to endure less as compared to last year?
  • Less braking in general due to some corners not being corners anymore
  • Lower exit speed from the straights (due to more drag) and higher entry speeds into the corner, so the brakes need to work for a shorter time/smaller speed delta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:33 am 

mds wrote:
Invade wrote:

• Lower exit speed from the straights (due to more drag) and higher entry speeds into the corner, so the brakes need to work for a shorter time/smaller speed delta

:thumbup:
Could well be right. I'm thinking about the heavier cars more than anything.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:40 am 

Invade wrote:
mds wrote:
Invade wrote:

I think the risk lies more in the fast corners - given that the cornering speeds will be much higher, and some corners will just be flat out and not actual corners anymore, this means that should an aerodynamic or suspension component fail, the cars are going to crash much heavier than they used to. E.g. a front wing failure, tyre blowout or cracked suspension mid-corner while flat-out... That could get ugly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:47 am 
mds wrote:
Invade wrote:

Being a bit thick here, but been mentally driving around the circuit, and what corners won't be corners any more?

I mean, there are none that I can think of that wont require braking this year due to increased grip.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:53 am 

mds wrote:
Invade wrote:
mds wrote:
Invade wrote:

I think the risk lies more in the fast corners - given that the cornering speeds will be much higher, and some corners will just be flat out and not actual corners anymore, this means that should an aerodynamic or suspension component fail, the cars are going to crash much heavier than they used to. E.g. a front wing failure, tyre blowout or cracked suspension mid-corner while flat-out... That could get ugly.

Is going 20/30MPH going to make a huge difference in the "heaviness" of a crash? I think these days the cars are strong enough to handle any "normal" sort of crash. Kubica drove into a concrete wall at 200MPH and was basically fine. That was 10 years ago and tracks are even safer now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:06 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
mds wrote:

Is going 20/30MPH going to make a huge difference in the "heaviness" of a crash? I think these days the cars are strong enough to handle any "normal" sort of crash. Kubica drove into a concrete wall at 200MPH and was basically fine. That was 10 years ago and tracks are even safer now.

Well, generally F1 is very safe and drivers will walk away from some horrible. But still, if I'm not mistaken crash energy is proportional to velocity squared, 20-30mph is going to make quite some difference in released energy. In freak conditions that could make a considerable difference.

Also, G forces from rapid deceleration will be higher and they can have a definite impact on the driver no matter how safe the car is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:09 pm 

justbeingmiko wrote:
mds wrote:
Invade wrote:

Being a bit thick here, but been mentally driving around the circuit, and what corners won't be corners any more?

I mean, there are none that I can think of that wont require braking this year due to increased grip.

Good point, my first point was more in general, hadn't noticed Invade was talking specifically about Melbourne.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:27 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCCHeMnyWW4

Ricciardo reaching breaking point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:51 pm 
mds wrote:
justbeingmiko wrote:
mds wrote:
Invade wrote:

Good point, my first point was more in general, hadn't noticed Invade was talking specifically about Melbourne.

Ahhh, that makes more sense - yes, there will be some corners that will be flat out now. I did read somewhere (can't find reference so take with pinch of salt) that the load through the brakes will be higher this year due to the increased weight of the cars - they have beefed up the braking systems a bit to cope - it goes into the realms of physics, something to do with energy disapation - not a flat profile as one would assume :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:29 pm 

justbeingmiko wrote:
mds wrote:
justbeingmiko wrote:
mds wrote:
Invade wrote:

Ahhh, that makes more sense - yes, there will be some corners that will be flat out now. I did read somewhere (can't find reference so take with pinch of salt) that the load through the brakes will be higher this year due to the increased weight of the cars - they have beefed up the braking systems a bit to cope - it goes into the realms of physics, something to do with energy disapation - not a flat profile as one would assume :)

On that same line, more grip I will assume will require different brake force calibration, more clamping force on the disc, so it will heat up faster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:40 pm 

PRFAN wrote:
justbeingmiko wrote:
mds wrote:
justbeingmiko wrote:
mds wrote:

On that same line, more grip I will assume will require different brake force calibration, more clamping force on the disc, so it will heat up faster

This makes sense. I don't think the added 6kg in car weight would offset the lower speed delta completely, but a grippier tyre will enable the driver to brake harder before locking up.

So revising my initial opinion, the workload of the brakes will probably be lower and the application time shorter, but the load will be peakier and more intense during that time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:43 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

UnlikeUday wrote:

Saw it too....it's definetly an improvement aesthetic wise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:51 pm 

Does anyone have an update regarding the weather?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:09 pm 
mds wrote:
This makes sense. I don't think the added 6kg in car weight would offset the lower speed delta completely, but a grippier tyre will enable the driver to brake harder before locking up.

So revising my initial opinion, the workload of the brakes will probably be lower and the application time shorter, but the load will be peakier and more intense during that time.

That's it - we got there eventually ...haha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:25 pm 

The Force India is gorgeous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:55 pm 

JamWalsh wrote:
Invade wrote:

The Haas will be one to keep an eye on

Well, I follow them closely and have found nothing in relation as to whether or not they've actually done anything about the whole brake situation.
It's become quite apparent that Brembo are simply not up to the task for F1 standards and if they want to maximize performance they need to go with either Hitco or Carbon industries. If they don't 2017 will see them endure more of the same from 2016. Good early on only to fade as the brakes begin to fail.

And their website is an utter joke for F1 standards. They don't even feature a Partners or sponsors page to show who supplies and supports them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:18 pm 
Welcome to the new season, can't wait to see those cars roll out in a few hours time

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

UnlikeUday wrote:

Looks the same colour as Homer Simpson's shirt when it turns oink and he's put in a mental institute for it!!!!

If that's good or bad, I'll let you decide :-P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:58 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

All these people get the chance to see it and most of them just look at it through their tiny screens on either their camera or phone. Since you are there, look at it for real!

What will F1 be like in a few years? Will everybody who is actually at the circuits have their phones strapped to their face!? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:26 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

All these people get the chance to see it and most of them just look at it through their tiny screens on either their camera or phone. Since you are there, look at it for real!

What will F1 be like in a few years? Will everybody who is actually at the circuits have their phones strapped to their face!? :lol:

People these days are more concerned about their social online life than actually enjoying the moment itself. Take a look for example at live concerts...back in the 90s early 00s everyone was listening to the actual songs,cheering so on....now you get a full army of zombies recording most of the concert on their phone and that's it. I sometimes feel we are getting dumber and dumber instead of progressing....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Does anyone have an update regarding the weather?

It is Melbourne so weather predictions aren't really a thing down there. It can go from 38 and sunny down to 6 degrees, storms and winds of 80km/h then back to the 30s in about 2 hours... But for now they're predicting mostly sunny today, showers tomorrow and mostly sunny again for Sunday. Temperatures should be around 24-26 for the race

PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:23 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

That wheelbase length is ridiculous!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:35 pm 
I'm very tempted to place a big bet on Vettel for pole, 10/3 or 3.33 in decimal odds.

Gamble 150, win 500 and get your 150 back too.

What do we think of Ferrari 1 lap pace? The confirmation that Mercedes had to change its suspension for this race has made this very tempting. I only gamble when I think the odds are very favourable and it seems that way to me, especially Lewis saying they are favourites - he must know they are quick. The only team that can really know how quick Ferrari are, is Mercedes...