planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:58 pm 
There will always be people wanting different - the perceived disappointment when reality doesn't meet expectations.

If we look at quantity vs quality of overtakes, most will want quality...however, if there isn't enough quality overtakes then the perception is that quantity is what matters. So it is never one or the other - it is a combination, I fear.

The truth of it is that we want a quantity of quality overtakes....those moves that we will talk about for years, the ones where the drivers become battle weary gladiators....and a few of them would be nice :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:31 am 

For me personally, the more the merrier. I don't want to see an unchanging running order for most of the race. I would rather watch a thousand "cheap" passes than one race with minimal passing. I just don't allow anyone to tell me what to expect, and if they say "you will like it more with less passing", they have lost me completely.

It is really simple, do you wan tot see a car pass another or not?

All that being said, the FIA needs to keep tweaking the DRS zones, make more of them challenging. A proper DRS pass is when the challenging car has enough of a run to come alongside just as both cars enter the braking zone. Both cars side by side, may the best man win.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:37 pm 

It feels like they've got this 100% right for 2017

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:14 pm 

optimisteprime wrote:

:thumbup:

Yep. We've had good, hard-fought overtakes in every race, and aside from Australia very little of drivers being stuck behind much slower cars.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:44 am 

Exediron wrote:
optimisteprime wrote:

:thumbup:

Yep. We've had good, hard-fought overtakes in every race, and aside from Australia very little of drivers being stuck behind much slower cars.

We'll see plenty of that next time out.

I think that the last 2 races seem perfect but the tighter tracks will be unbearable all year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:49 am 

Well, in Bahrain the top 10 was set in stone from lap 19 on (for everyone who can figure in pit stops and is able to do basic calculating).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:51 am 

Its not just over takes though, its defends, which seem disallowed today, and the chase of a car hauling in the one in front, even if it never comes to the pass because the car infront does a few laps on the ragged edge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:00 pm 

They seem to have it about right, although cars were a second a lap quicker yesterday and unable to pass. The problem I have is the lack of difference between compounds. It appears to still only be 0.3-0.4 and needs to be double that to open up more strategy options. It would have been great yesterday to see Hamilton hunt down Vettel at 2 seconds per lap yesterday and have a grand finale, kind of like Ricciardo vs Rosberg in Singapore last year when he was closing 3 seconds per lap.

I think they have the tyre degradation spot on though, just need a bit more of a gap between them. A few small tweaks for 2018 and hopefully these rules are very good for racing and a bit of overtaking. I feared the worst after Australia.