planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:17 am 

Someone has done a brilliant job of dubbing F1 2017 test footage with sounds from V8, V10 and V12 engines from the past.

If you want to know what 2017 F1 would be like with a screaming engine in the back of the cars watch this:

https://youtu.be/hLOWSLd53U4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:30 am 

I have no problem with the V6 Hybrid era.. But when you hear the old engines again, you cant beat it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:37 pm 

Wow good job! I love those sound so much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:54 pm 

Other than the fact the V6 era is quieter, I prefer the new engines. They are deeper and I certainly thing they sound better than the old screechy things :] I don't think many will agree with that though. I'll also add that ever since McLaren have been powered by Honda, there engine sounds the best of the lot IMO. I just love that deep burbling sound it does when the driver lifts off the throttle. It sounds deeper than any others on the grid in the past couple of years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:30 pm 

To me its never been so much about the volume as much as the quality of the sound. The current engines just dont sound like they mean business. The sound in the video is what f1 needs to get back to, one way or another.

Thanks for posting that OP.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:55 pm 

This is partly unrelated, but the people who make these kinds of videos are the same who believe that the turbo era of the 80s was the greatest in F1 history, which naturally would extend to the sound. However, the reason why we fantasize about that era is largely related to driver skill, because we don't actually know that much about how those cars sounded from the cockpit, due to lack of footage. The V6 turbo cars in the 80s didn't sound fundamentally different from the current cars and, in those years, there were engines with even fewer cylinders (BMW engine for example).

To me, the V10s would only start to sound great from inside the cockpit beginning with the 3.0L era in 1995, which is what I remember the most. Early V10s like the McLaren-Honda engine would simply sound awkward. The absolute kings of the 3.5L era were the V12s.

The current V6s aren't much of a downgrade over the 2.4L V8s, which frankly sounded like really loud vacuum cleaners. You need to venture back into the V10 era to find really good F1 sounds.

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:18 pm 

I have never been big on the LOUD engine, what I like is the quality of the sound. In reality, we are only ever going to get that with number of cylinders and RPM.

Some low revving 4 cylinder engines sound nice, but it is a different sort of sound. A 4 cylinder motorcycle at high Revs sounds a lot like the F1 sound, but with half of it missing. Or two thirds of it actually :lol:

Actual sound wave vibration is a nice sort of feeling in your chest, but it does wear thin quite quickly, especially if you are with people and trying to talk.

As I said, quality not quantity please.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:14 am 

My only issue with the new engines is/was the loss of body feel (bear with me). I have only been to two GP in person. The 2013 and 2016 Montreal GP. I was a bit late getting to the track Friday and it was about 30min into FP1 by the time I made it off the subway. From a 15min walk away from my seats I could easily hear the cars. Having never had the luxury of being at another racing series live I was blown away by the sound. After 5min of walking the track went silent. There was nothing for almost 10min. For those of you familiar with the circuit I had just crossed the bridge by this point. Coming up to the hairpin all of a sudden a F1 car started making it's way around the track. Just in time for me to get along the fence I watch a Red Bull come blasting by me. The incredible sound of that V8 just brought a grin to my face while I stuffed ear plugs in. What blew me away though was the concussion in my chest from the downshifts. The feeling in your body from those cars was something the TV experience couldn't come close to reproducing. It was Christmas for me with every powerful downshift. My grin just got wider and wider with every sound of those engines. I can only imagine the V10+'s

I went to that race by myself. I had such an awesome time I managed in 2016 to convince my brother to come. I took him to the exact same spot ahead of the start of FP1. Start time comes along and with it the first cars of the session. My brother had heard of the feeling I just described. Around come a string of cars. Zoom, zoom zoom they go by. Nothing in the chest. What's more, we didn't even have in our ear plugs yet could care less. I promised my brother this incredible assault on the senses. These engines deny those in person this experience. The sound of the MGU-K harvesting is sweet though I must say.

I am very torn on this issue. I respect what these magnificent engines can do. They are faster than almost any F1 engine to ever exist and do it on a fraction of the fuel. I can't help when I hear this video though think that is the better experience.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:53 am 

Personally I'm not a fan. The V12 and V10 had a nice clean note to them but the V8 never really sounded good, sure they're loud- but in an off key broken reed kind of way. An air raid siren is loud but you don't see people lining up to go to ye olde siren festival. Noise for the sake of noise is pointless. Comparing all three of the old modern era engines to the V6 they all sound far too simple and gutless, there is just so much MORE going on with the hybrids that makes them a much more enjoyable engine to listen too added to the fact that they actually sound like they're working hard under load rather than just free spinning in the breeze. Much much better in my mind.

And for those who do want noise, just go and hang out at the threshold of your local airport for an hour every now and then, it's free! Even better go to a military base, noise restrictions don't apply to those guys, I guarantee you'll get sick of noise after an hour or so... That or when your kidneys start to bleed.

PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:51 am 

I love it...forgot how much I missed the noise...the V8 Supercars are louder at albert park.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:56 pm 

That sounds awesome and brings back chills I never felt in a long time.
I guess we just got accustomed to the current sound. I remember when I watched quali for the first time with the new hybrids. It sounded like Lewis was on a out/in lap with the noise and coasting, but to my surprise it was a pole lap

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:58 pm 

Blackhander wrote:
Personally I'm not a fan. The V12 and V10 had a nice clean note to them but the V8 never really sounded good, sure they're loud- but in an off key broken reed kind of way. An air raid siren is loud but you don't see people lining up to go to ye olde siren festival. Noise for the sake of noise is pointless. Comparing all three of the old modern era engines to the V6 they all sound far too simple and gutless, there is just so much MORE going on with the hybrids that makes them a much more enjoyable engine to listen too added to the fact that they actually sound like they're working hard under load rather than just free spinning in the breeze. Much much better in my mind.

And for those who do want noise, just go and hang out at the threshold of your local airport for an hour every now and then, it's free! Even better go to a military base, noise restrictions don't apply to those guys, I guarantee you'll get sick of noise after an hour or so... That or when your kidneys start to bleed.

Sure they did, however, they were rev limited by a significant margin so they couldn't produce the sounds of the 10 & 12 cylinders that preceded them. Even still, they were magnificently ferocious sounding and in line with all things F1.

The 12's and 10's were simply other worldly and the crackling sound of the traction control, ESPECIALLY during down shifts was astonishing. Those cars would emit a plethora of sounds which, if you took the time to listen to carefully and intently, you'd hear a beautiful ballet of all the systems working in perfect unison with flawless synchronicity. That is something these Hybrids will NEVER convey.

So while many will assume that what those of us loved about the louder engines was their decibel level, there is far, FAR more to it than that.

The noise turbines make is cool but boring so going to an airport to listen to them is pointless unless you're passion in life is Jumbo Jets like my good friend is. He literally parks at the end of the runway during his lunch hour just to watch and listen to giant structures do the impossible and lift off the ground. Military bases don't have live ammunition testing unless it's in a designated area like a gun range, but large artillery is only tested in VERY secure and private areas. Even still, I'm an avid shooter and that sound is something that is simply a part of deal and you cannot get around it. However, it is so instantaneous it hurts the ear drums in an enclosed environment like a gun range. At large outdoor ranges you can walk around without ear protection because the sound has open area with which to dissipate. However, that's not the same thing as the sound of a high performance engine.

As for this video, it simply doesn't go with the cars for the most part. Also, the synchronicity of sound is off enough that I can see and hear how they don't go together.
The best thing this video portrayed for me was how beautiful the Sauber is! The Livery is still meh to me, but the car itself is gorgeous.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:20 pm 

Sounds fairy cakes tbh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:02 pm 

Good to see that most of the posts mention the quality over volume of the sound. That is the real problem about current f1.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:40 pm 

firstly these v6 engines sound pathetic. fact. there is no depth to the sound or any s**t like that. they are just abysmal. if people want to go to a race and not hear loud engines then wear ear plugs. the noise cannot be turned up but it can be turned down.

some people dont consider noise important. fair enough. i do. imo i shouldnt be going to a race weekend and thinking that both the gp3 and gp2 cars sound better and more exciting then the f1 cars. i wont go again till they sort it.

unfortunately the engine regs were clearly written without a thought for what noise they would create. the reality of 1.6 turbo charged engines only revving to 10-12k is depressing. surely they can change the regs next time around so that they at least have to rev them higher to get the power. it would be interesting to hear these engines at 18k.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:16 pm 

Caserole of Nonsense wrote:
firstly these v6 engines sound pathetic. fact. there is no depth to the sound or any s**t like that. they are just abysmal. if people want to go to a race and not hear loud engines then wear ear plugs. the noise cannot be turned up but it can be turned down.

some people dont consider noise important. fair enough. i do. imo i shouldnt be going to a race weekend and thinking that both the gp3 and gp2 cars sound better and more exciting then the f1 cars. i wont go again till they sort it.

unfortunately the engine regs were clearly written without a thought for what noise they would create. the reality of 1.6 turbo charged engines only revving to 10-12k is depressing. surely they can change the regs next time around so that they at least have to rev them higher to get the power. it would be interesting to hear these engines at 18k.

Opinion at best really...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:21 pm 

Just take a look at any news media in the world and look what is going on. Do you think F1 would be allowed to keep "destroying the environment" with all that noise pollution?

Noise is the biggest protest for most things now from airport runways to relief roads to industrial units.
Better to sneak under the radar and say they are not as loud now, we are working on it, than to have a 100 db cap enforced on it like some motor sports (trials for instance)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:41 pm 

Blackhander wrote:
firstly these v6 engines sound pathetic. fact.

Maybe it's an alternative fact? ;)

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:33 am 

Exediron wrote:
Blackhander wrote:
firstly these v6 engines sound pathetic. fact.

Maybe it's an alternative fact? ;)

:lol: :lol: you've got me there

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:38 am 

moby wrote:

Just take a look at any news media in the world and look what is going on. Do you think F1 would be allowed to keep "destroying the environment" with all that noise pollution?

Noise is the biggest protest for most things now from airport runways to relief roads to industrial units.
Better to sneak under the radar and say they are not as loud now, we are working on it, than to have a 100 db cap enforced on it like some motor sports (trials for instance)

Off topic but related to your post. We had a plane crash in Melbourne a couple of weeks back because it suffered an engine failure on take off and attempted an emergency landing only to crash into a shopping centre. The loudest complaints were from local residents claiming that it was unsafe to fly aircraft in the area and the airport should be shut down... The airport has been there for over 100 years and was until the last decade surrounded by nothing but pasture. Not one person questioned why houses and shops were permitted so close to the aerodrome, they just wanted it gone. Logic is irrelevant when it impacts peoples day to day lives.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:05 am 

Blackhander wrote:

ok to give context to my fact. fitted to an amateur hill climbers mg midget then the engine would sound great. in the back of a formula 1 car, pathetic. fact. :-P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:11 am 

moby wrote:

gp2 still thunder around with 4l v8s. i dont think noise pollution is an issue for f1. it is only one weekend a year in any location that it would (should) be overly noisy. not like living next to a track or airport that is in use all the time. if you cant put up with it for a few hours then go somewhere else or wear earplugs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:34 am 

gp2 still thunder around with 4l v8s. i dont think noise pollution is an issue for f1. it is only one weekend a year in any location that it would (should) be overly noisy. not like living next to a track or airport that is in use all the time. if you cant put up with it for a few hours then go somewhere else or wear earplugs.

... right, because the million people living in a city like Montreal should 'go somewhere else' or wear earplugs if they don't like the noise that not even all of the ~100,000 people who have come to watch the GP actually enjoy? You do realize how silly and entitled that sounds?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:08 am 

Exediron wrote:

... right, because the million people living in a city like Montreal should 'go somewhere else' or wear earplugs if they don't like the noise that not even all of the ~100,000 people who have come to watch the GP actually enjoy? You do realize how silly and entitled that sounds?

dont talk rubbish. so lets for example stop the iomtt cos some of the residents dont like the noise. and they get it for several weeks a year. ridiculous. lets ditch singapore. though its just the kind of imo complete bull**** that the world is full of these days and it wouldnt suprise me.

and yes i fully stand by my comments. if you live in montreal and are close enough to hear it and it annoys you. tough. sometimes things happen that you dont like and you have to live with it. you do realise weve had decades of loud engines and i cant remember any race being stopped because of noise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:37 am 

Blackhander wrote:
moby wrote:

Off topic but related to your post. We had a plane crash in Melbourne a couple of weeks back because it suffered an engine failure on take off and attempted an emergency landing only to crash into a shopping centre. The loudest complaints were from local residents claiming that it was unsafe to fly aircraft in the area and the airport should be shut down... The airport has been there for over 100 years and was until the last decade surrounded by nothing but pasture. Not one person questioned why houses and shops were permitted so close to the aerodrome, they just wanted it gone. Logic is irrelevant when it impacts peoples day to day lives.

Yip, They built a "posh" countrified estate near me a couple of years back so that they could "live in the country"

No sooner had they moved in but they were complaining not only of the tractor starting up at 5am but the noise from the cows in the morning. Oh yes, and the smell :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:40 am 

Exediron wrote:

dont talk rubbish. so lets for example stop the iomtt cos some of the residents dont like the noise. and they get it for several weeks a year. ridiculous. lets ditch singapore. though its just the kind of imo complete bull**** that the world is full of these days and it wouldnt suprise me.

and yes i fully stand by my comments. if you live in montreal and are close enough to hear it and it annoys you. tough. sometimes things happen that you dont like and you have to live with it. you do realise weve had decades of loud engines and i cant remember any race being stopped because of noise.

My local track has had racing since the 1950's but has been made to build 8 feet high earth banks all around as the town is spreading out to what used to be a bomber base sited far from town so they don't get the noise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:46 am 

moby wrote:
Exediron wrote:

My local track has had racing since the 1950's but has been made to build 8 feet high earth banks all around as the town is spreading out to what used to be a bomber base sited far from town so they don't get the noise.

yes but this is the pinnacle of motorsport at one venue for a single weekend. you are coming up with these arguments but they are not relevant to f1 imo. how does the singapore grand prix even exist if noise is a consideration. and that had 6 years of v8s.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:12 pm 

moby wrote:
Exediron wrote:

yes but this is the pinnacle of motorsport at one venue for a single weekend. you are coming up with these arguments but they are not relevant to f1 imo. how does the singapore grand prix even exist if noise is a consideration. and that had 6 years of v8s.

F1 may be for one week end, but motor sport is at most of them every weekend, and once the regs are in, any event there will have to meet it.

Dont know where you are from, maybe USA or somewhere with plenty of area? it may be different. But in UK, you can easily hear, not just F1 cars, but race cars in general, 5 miles away, and if there is a wind, far more than that.

There is not much land left here and more and more housing is getting built closer and closer to circuits, and very few occupants are motor sport fans. The local council get their ear bent and nagged into pushing through acts because the area the new housing is built is usually the area "professional" people live and they have the contacts time and money to get things done that suit them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:09 pm 

[/quote]F1 may be for one week end, but motor sport is at most of them every weekend, and once the regs are in, any event there will have to meet it.

Dont know where you are from, maybe USA or somewhere with plenty of area? it may be different. But in UK, you can easily hear, not just F1 cars, but race cars in general, 5 miles away, and if there is a wind, far more than that.

There is not much land left here and more and more housing is getting built closer and closer to circuits, and very few occupants are motor sport fans. The local council get their ear bent and nagged into pushing through acts because the area the new housing is built is usually the area "professional" people live and they have the contacts time and money to get things done that suit them.[/quote]

uk. yes you need regs for track day places etc. getting back to the point though is the suggestion that f1 cars shouldnt be noisy anymore because of noise pollution and i just dont agree. simple as that. i dont think there should be those kind of restrictions for a world championship event like f1.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:34 pm 

F1 may be for one week end, but motor sport is at most of them every weekend, and once the regs are in, any event there will have to meet it.

There is not much land left here and more and more housing is getting built closer and closer to circuits, and very few occupants are motor sport fans. The local council get their ear bent and nagged into pushing through acts because the area the new housing is built is usually the area "professional" people live and they have the contacts time and money to get things done that suit them.[/quote]

uk. yes you need regs for track day places etc. getting back to the point though is the suggestion that f1 cars shouldnt be noisy anymore because of noise pollution and i just dont agree. simple as that. i dont think there should be those kind of restrictions for a world championship event like f1.[/quote]

But if there is no restriction a 20 tracks, but there is at the 21st, the car has to be made to that standard.
If it was only only one track they could drop that event, but it is likely to be every track in Europe soon, OZ is very green,
then when F1 looks to expand in USA it wil be the same

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:58 pm 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/todt-society-won-t-accept-f1-returning-to-noisy-engines-880730/?s=1

Just saw this on another site.

FIA president Jean Todt says Formula 1 cannot return to louder V10 or V12 engines in the future, because he believes the move would "not be accepted by society".

"We have a responsibility to run an organisation monitored by global society. And global society will not accept that

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 am 

Good, bring on the electric primary motors coupled to a 100% constant speed turbine auxiliary power unit with intermediary battery energy store I say!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:03 am 

Blackhander wrote:
Good, bring on the electric primary motors coupled to a 100% constant speed turbine auxiliary power unit with intermediary battery energy store I say!

And a slot in the tarmac with copper strips on :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:39 pm 

For the love of racing..bring back those V8's....!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:08 am 

LookButNeverStare wrote:

They will do *inaudible* for the racing. All they do is make the cars slower and louder. We don't need that. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:22 am 

Exediron wrote:
LookButNeverStare wrote:

They will do *inaudible* for the racing. All they do is make the cars slower and louder. We don't need that. :thumbdown:

Upvote X10!

Under equal regulations the old V8s would never be able to even hope to come near the current engines... Even the honda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:24 am 

Even NASCAR is considering lowering engine noise levels.
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/18843413/nascar-taking-noise-level-stock-cars-notch-hurt-sport

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:10 am 

Formula 1 should always look to position itself at the cutting edge of technology.

Going back to V8 or V10 engines doesn't fit in with that image.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:04 pm 

comments on here trigger me so much. its only really the merc and this year in particular, the ferrari that sound decent. the renault has been abysmal for years, even wrc lmp1 cars sound better. i've been to the malaysian and singapore gp from 2011-2014 and i would say the 2011 cars sounded the best of those v8 years. very raspy, clean and of course loud sound. 2012 in contrast was pretty poor, bit quieter and sounded more like the mosquito sound that the v8 haters bicker about.

2014... sitting on the mainstraight with canopy, still hugely disappointing. it left me antsy and in denial that that was really it, its just not entertaining/interesting. the only v6 that i've admired is the honda last year, one of the classics

hearing the v8s in the middle of a city, bouncing off the walls, reverberating. it was such an EVENT. noise makes up for like half of the experience of a grand prix weekend, now u can only look forward to just seeing the cars and racing and if the racing is crap then i would consider it not worth my money.

regarding the "IN THE NAME OF PROGRESS AND RELEVANCE" argument... merc and ferrari still use v12s in their road cars as do other renowned manufacturers. they do it to provide that EXPERIENCE for the consumer and the sense of EVENT. imo i believe f1 could identify itself similar that. it would make the show so much grander

and the people bringing up noise as a problem who live close to a circuit, f1 is around for 3 days for like 5 hours of each day...each YEAR. pathetic people

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:44 pm 

Actually, that's a pretty cool video