planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:38 am 

Image indycar.com
Anything is possible and we can call it: The St. Petersburg Hail Mary.

And it will be a special day for Sebastian Bourdais and engineer Craig Hampson who was part of the Champ Car days in 2007. An early 2nd caution period gave Sebastian Bourdais a win in front of his adoptive home coming from the very back of the field enroute to win the season opener in the St. Petersburg Grand Prix holding off fellow Frenchman and the reigning Indy Car Champion Simon Pagenaud by 10 seconds and at the same time ending a 41-race drought for Dale Coyne Racing. It is Coyne's 1st win since the summer of 2014 where Carlos Huertas won the Houston Grand Prix in race 1 of a doubleheader. Scott Dixon would take the final podium spot. Ryan Hunter-Reay shook off a 3rd Practice session to finish 4th followed by teammate Takuma Sato who overcame a close encounter with Josef Newgarden in the pits to take a top 5 finish. Helio Castroneves, Marco Andretti, Newgarden and James Hinchcliffe filled in positions 6th through 9th followed by rookie Ed Jones who placed the 2nd Dale Coyne car in 10th.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/03-12-StPete-race

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:21 am 

I found the race rather boring to be honest, hopefully the races will get better as the season goes on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:02 am 

I wasn't able to catch the race yesterday but did read an article last night about the debacle they're having with the brakes this year.

Sounds like this race had too much unnecessary chaos due to exploding brake rotors. After reading that article the way that the organization is handling the switchover from Carbon to Performance is a total mess.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:06 pm 

Just watched the race (recorded it). It was ok but by no means spectacular. Typical street course in my view. There was one brake rotor issue during the race that they mentioned. The track is so narrow overtaking is pretty tough. My man Hinch got clobbered by a caution. Lets see how she goes next time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:09 pm 

I was extremely tired when I watched the race, so I don't remember all of it - I was literally falling asleep about halfway through!

One part that I do remember was when Will Power started to have car trouble (he was in a podium position at the time), the commentators initially thought he was saving fuel and started talking about how annoying it is for drivers when the pit wall tells them to back off. They continued talking about fuel saving even when he fell to the back of the field he was going so slowly, and then a lap down. By that point it was obvious to anyone with half a wit that he wasn't just saving fuel, but for some reason the commentators kept talking about fuel saving.

I found that a bit baffling, and not a great vote of support for the commentary team...

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:26 pm 

Exediron wrote:
I was extremely tired when I watched the race, so I don't remember all of it - I was literally falling asleep about halfway through!

One part that I do remember was when Will Power started to have car trouble (he was in a podium position at the time), the commentators initially thought he was saving fuel and started talking about how annoying it is for drivers when the pit wall tells them to back off. They continued talking about fuel saving even when he fell to the back of the field he was going so slowly, and then a lap down. By that point it was obvious to anyone with half a wit that he wasn't just saving fuel, but for some reason the commentators kept talking about fuel saving.

I found that a bit baffling, and not a great vote of support for the commentary team...

Yes, that Will Power bit confused me also. Very odd.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:28 am 

Hmm, missed it completely.
Something about brackets??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:39 am 

Ity was very refreshing to see Bourdais come from the back to win. That part was very cool. But overall, the race was a bit of a yawner.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:55 am 

Not a bad race, but the mass brake trouble certainly threw a bit of a monkey wrench in things. I don't follow Indy Car closely enough to know exactly what was up with the brake change or why it was made, but so far it doesn't seem to be going that well for most teams. It was interesting for the winner to come all the way from the back of the grid, at any rate.

jimmyj wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Yes, that Will Power bit confused me also. Very odd.

Indeed, that was quite odd. Especially strange to me was that there was no mention of it post race, when I would've thought they would have realised what really happened (since presumably, for whatever reason, they did believe what they were saying about fuel saving during the race). Why they thought it might've been a strategy call, though, I have no idea -- he was quickly so slow it was obviously either car trouble or a lack of fuel that was already beyond any fuel saving.

Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 3 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 9th

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:15 pm 

I found this on motorsport.com

Then, having saved enough fuel to fight for a top-five place, a mechanical issue – which Power didn’t wish to define – starved his engine of fuel and left him lapping at heavily reduced pace trying to recycle the system.

Ultimately, he was shown the black flag for not going fast enough, and was forced to retire.