planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Sad news
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:09 am 

Very very sorry to hear. Condolences to you and your family. Very shocking...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:09 am 

I've just read this thread and I was crushed by the news.

As a Brazilian, although I've been posting very little in the last few years, I'd always exchange bits of information with Patrick about the great Brazilian drivers, especially Piquet who, it seems, was one of his favorite drivers from my country.

I am sitting in a hospital chair as we speak while my daughter, who was born on March 1st, is still in the Intensive Care Unit because of being born preterm. She's my first kid.

Needless to say, I've been through some pretty emotional days in the last few weeks and when I saw this post and the title I immediately thought something was not right with Patrick. By the time I read Brendan's post, a stream of tears was rolling down my cheek as I felt each word he wrote as something utterly personal.

I am a father now and although I couldn't even bring my little baby home yet, what Brendan wrote about his dad is exactly what we all want to aspire as father and human beings. I'm so sorry for your loss and I assure you that your father inspired many with his truly great character and how much of a gentleman he was. Even through words written in a screen, he made his mark on many of us.

The picture of him looking at Lloyd Wright's house is absolutely fantastic and it struck a chord with me leading me to an even more emotional reaction which made me want to hug my daughter as soon as possible.

I'm deeply saddened and sorry for your loss which I can say for sure, is our loss as well.

Best regards from Brazil and RIP Mr Patrick O'Brien. :-((

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:40 am 

Daniel Gallagher wrote:
I've just read this thread and I was crushed by the news.

As a Brazilian, although I've been posting very little in the last few years, I'd always exchange bits of information with Patrick about the great Brazilian drivers, especially Piquet who, it seems, was one of his favorite drivers from my country.

I am sitting in a hospital chair as we speak while my daughter, who was born on March 1st, is still in the Intensive Care Unit because of being born preterm. She's my first kid.

Needless to say, I've been through some pretty emotional days in the last few weeks and when I saw this post and the title I immediately thought something was not right with Patrick. By the time I read Brendan's post, a stream of tears was rolling down my cheek as I felt each word he wrote as something utterly personal.

I am a father now and although I couldn't even bring my little baby home yet, what Brendan wrote about his dad is exactly what we all want to aspire as father and human beings. I'm so sorry for your loss and I assure you that your father inspired many with his truly great character and how much of a gentleman he was. Even through words written in a screen, he made his mark on many of us.

The picture of him looking at Lloyd Wright's house is absolutely fantastic and it struck a chord with me leading me to an even more emotional reaction which made me want to hug my daughter as soon as possible.

I'm deeply saddened and sorry for your loss which I can say for sure, is our loss as well.

Best regards from Brazil and RIP Mr Patrick O'Brien. :-((

Thank you for your heartfelt words. I hope you are able to bring your daughter home soon.
Catherine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:15 pm 

He was a great guy who provided both great analysis and historical insight to this forum and i recommend all new readers to review​ his body of posts here* for their high signal to noise content. I felt deeply honoured when we agreed so many times and i wish his spirit well.

* http://tinyurl.com/mj2eq2q

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:35 pm 

mas wrote:
He was a great guy who provided both great analysis and historical insight to this forum and i recommend all new readers to review​ his body of posts here* for their high signal to noise content. I felt deeply honoured when we agreed so many times and i wish his spirit well.

* http://tinyurl.com/mj2eq2q

Thanks mas for capturing my father's posts in the above link. P-F1 Mod has approved my posting the following request:

The first (last) post listed on page 80 is from 2 March 2012: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=148&p=3043#p3043
As my dad joined this form in 2011, I wondered if it would be possible to capture his posts from the beginning? It would be great to read them through from Day 1.

mas response:
-------------
I have captured all the posts this software delivers as the only variable is number of characters displayed. Your father made 3180 posts according to his profile memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15867 . You can do a verify if the forum software has captured them all by counting how many appear on each scrolled page of the 80 retrieved. Maths suggest that there should be an average of 3180/80 = 39.75 on each page. If there isn't have a word with the forum admins to correct their software.
-------------
P-F1 Mod response:
-------------
I lack the tech skills to do what that member did for you, but I can do what I did with a thread from the old forum before our 2012 upgrade and copy all posts into a text file which I can email to you if that would be alright? Otherwise if you post a thread in the F1 & Motorsport forum asking for someone to do what you're asking in the same style as below, someone I am sure will step up.
-------------

Does anyone have the tech skills to do what "mas" did above so as to create a complete collection of Patrick's posts on this forum, from 2011? Any help would be appreciated!

Catherine

Last edited by POBRatings on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:38 pm 

If PF1-Mod still has access to/a copy of the database from the old forum, it should be fairly easy to knock something up that will take all of his posts from that database and display them in a readable form like the link mas posted

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:22 pm 

I can probably write a Python script quite quickly to extract all of the posts from this forum.

I don't think the database pre 2011 still exists as I remember people manually archiving their favourite threads (such as HOW has bought the Honda Team)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:51 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I can probably write a Python script quite quickly to extract all of the posts from this forum.

I don't think the database pre 2011 still exists as I remember people manually archiving their favourite threads (such as HOW has bought the Honda Team)

I'm a php man myself, but you probably have the edge (i've not done it in any real capacity for a long time) but even if a manual archive exists of any posts in text form, it should still be possible to strip out the posts en masse. If the database has gone though, anything pre 2011 will be limited to what people have saved in that fashion though, which is a shame.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:54 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

I'm a php man myself, but you probably have the edge (i've not done it in any real capacity for a long time) but even if a manual archive exists of any posts in text form, it should still be possible to strip out the posts en masse. If the database has gone though, anything pre 2011 will be limited to what people have saved in that fashion though, which is a shame.

Well I was planning on writing a python bot to crawl all the threads and extract the text as HTML, rather than interface directly with the database as that would require speaking to the site's techies and given the Error 500s happening at the moment I doubt it would be their top priority!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:37 pm 

My Python script worked no problems so I now have a single file with every post POBRatings made on this version of the forum (the posts prior to this are gone unfortunately)

So, Catherine, if you would like to PM me I can arrange to email you the file with all of your father's posts in it.

Also, can I offer my belated condolences as I was away from the forum at the time you posted about this so was completely unawares. Echoing what many have said, Patrick was one of the most informed posters we had on here, and despite having decades of research was still always open to new ideas and opinions from others. It was a pleasure to discuss F1 with him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:58 am 

Sorry for your loss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:16 pm 

Thank you for your responses and offers of IT expertise. It is just posts from 2011 that I am looking for, not pre-2011, as my dad only joined in 2011.

Thanks for the kind words Alienturnedhuman and F1Oz. More than 6 months after my dad passed away, all the messages here continue to be a comfort. Alienturnedhuman I will PM you - thanks.

Catherine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:24 pm 

Looking at the dates on the posts I extracted, the forum change must have happened at the beginning of March 2012 as those are the earliest posts that I have (from March 2nd)

I have created a PDF (863 pages long) of all of those posts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:19 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Looking at the dates on the posts I extracted, the forum change must have happened at the beginning of March 2012 as those are the earliest posts that I have (from March 2nd)

I have created a PDF (863 pages long) of all of those posts.

Thanks, I've just PM'd you but there's no evidence of the message in my sent folder or drafts. I was just saying that mas's database http://tinyurl.com/mj2eq2q contains his posts from 2 Mar 2012 until 16 Mar 2017 (the night before he died), and it would be good to have the ones from 25 Apr 2011 when he joined the forum. Now it doesn't seem that anything from 25 Apr 2011 - 2 March 2012 is recoverable.

It would be great to have the PDF you've kindly created - would I be able get it on PM? One of the folders states "POBRatings folder inbox full" - does this mean I need to delete some emails in order to read or send new ones?

Thanks for your help.

As Flash2k11 said, if the database is gone then maybe the only chance of getting any POBRatings 5 Apr 2011 - 2 Mar 2012 posts is if people saved his posts manually. That would be amazing if anyone had done that and could post it here!

Catherine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:29 am 

POBRatings wrote:

It would be great to have the PDF you've kindly created - would I be able get it on PM? One of the folders states "POBRatings folder inbox full" - does this mean I need to delete some emails in order to read or send new ones?

Yes. But you can quickly solve this without losing anything. Go to the PM inbox, then below all the messages there is a button "export this view" and to the left a format selection. I didn't have much luck with the Excel export (looked messy in Excel) but the XML view is fine, so if you select that then press "export this view" your browser will download an XML file with the XML messages on the page you're viewing. After you've done this and secured the file, you can delete all the messages in view. You can do the same for any subsequent messages (e.g. if they were on another page - I only have one page so I don't know whether the export function will export all pages at once).

Be sure to also select the "sent messages" on the left and do the export for your father's sent messages as well.

This way you will empty the inbox and you will be able to receive new messages.

Good luck. I do miss your father around here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:12 pm 

mds wrote:
POBRatings wrote:

Yes. But you can quickly solve this without losing anything. Go to the PM inbox, then below all the messages there is a button "export this view" and to the left a format selection. I didn't have much luck with the Excel export (looked messy in Excel) but the XML view is fine, so if you select that then press "export this view" your browser will download an XML file with the XML messages on the page you're viewing. After you've done this and secured the file, you can delete all the messages in view. You can do the same for any subsequent messages (e.g. if they were on another page - I only have one page so I don't know whether the export function will export all pages at once).

Be sure to also select the "sent messages" on the left and do the export for your father's sent messages as well.

This way you will empty the inbox and you will be able to receive new messages.

Good luck. I do miss your father around here.

Also, you can create extra folders (up to 3 or 4 I think) and move messages into those folders. It frees up your inbox and new messages can arrive. All I need is your email address,to email you the several hundreds page long PDF I created from his posts... it's like a book by itself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:03 pm 

Thanks for explaining how to clear my PM inbox etc without losing anything. If possible, could you just send it to this email address?: centuryofracing AT gmail.com

I’m sure my dad misses his interchanges with all of you. He was a true Gemini in that he lived and breathed for communicating with people, whether in person or in writing. He often used to say he hoped there was research in the afterlife so that he could continue his Grand Prix studies there. Hopefully he’s doing it now (and chatting to Surtees et al.), without all the interruptions he had in life.

EDIT: On second thoughts, it's probably more private for you to PM it - I will clear the PM folders as soon as work allows and will PM you when I'm able to send and receive PM here again.

Thanks,
Catherine

Last edited by POBRatings on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:47 pm 

POBRatings wrote:
Thanks for explaining how to clear my PM inbox etc without losing anything. If possible, could you just send it to this email address?: centuryofracing AT gmail.com

I’m sure my dad misses his interchanges with all of you. He was a true Gemini in that he lived and breathed for communicating with people, whether in person or in writing. He often used to say he hoped there was research in the afterlife so that he could continue his Grand Prix studies there. Hopefully he’s doing it now (and chatting to Surtees et al.) without all the interruptions he had in life!

EDIT: On second thoughts, it's probably more private for you to PM it - I will clear the PM folders as soon as work allows and will PM you when I'm able to send and receive PM here again.

Thanks,
Catherine

Hi Catherine, I have emailed you the files (I can't send over PM as I can't send attachments on private message)

You should receive a PDF file and an HTML file. In both files, the word "LINK" can be clicked on to take you to the specific post so you can see it in context - although obviously that will only work for as long as the web forum is operational.