planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: F1 Driver LifeStyle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:42 am 

There are a lot of great stories about the old days of F1. Back in the 60s and 70s, before the sport became so serious and full of gluten-free diet eating, treadmill running automatons, we had the fun stories of people like James Hunt and Gilles Villeneuve to entertain us. Drivers back then enjoyed themselves and indulged in the finer things in life. Obviously today's drivers don't drink or smoke the way the old drivers did but that's not the only difference.

I was fascinated to read recently that there are only 4 drivers of the current 20 man field that are married and/or have children. Raikkonen, Bottas, Grosjean and Massa are the only ones. I find that very interesting. I actually think that the way modern drivers are myopically self-obsessed and focused on racing to the detriment of pretty much everything else is an interesting thing to look at. What do you think is behind that? I mean, there is obviously the long amounts of time away from home but pro athletes in other sports have that too and they do not have nearly as low of a rate of starting families.

Post subject: Re: F1 Driver LifeStyle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:23 am 

What a bizarre thread.

That stats definitely wrong because Vettel has 2 kids and most pro athletes dont spend most of the year away from home travelling all over the world.

Its not like theyre virgins, 1/2 the field are dating a model or former model

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:05 am 

I think most drivers have pretty well rounded life and current F1 with limited testing allows for a decent work life balance. I just think people get married later these days

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:50 am 

Why do I feel this thread will tilt towards Lewis Hamilton?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:45 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:05 am 

What other athletes really spend as much time away from home?

I mean if you are a football player, you'll be mostly somewhere near the city they play in. Even if you are NBA, NFL, MLB etc in USA I'd have thought you'd spend more time at home (during season at least) than an F1 driver. Maybe I'm wrong. I would imagine that if I was from outside Europe, I'd not want to be flying home between every race on a Monday just to get another long flight back to another European destination just a few days later. I don't know enough about Olympic athletes but I would guess they move to a place near their training centre then are based there for the bulk of their time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:19 am 

mac_d wrote:

I mean if you are a football player, you'll be mostly somewhere near the city they play in. Even if you are NBA, NFL, MLB etc in USA I'd have thought you'd spend more time at home (during season at least) than an F1 driver. Maybe I'm wrong. I would imagine that if I was from outside Europe, I'd not want to be flying home between every race on a Monday just to get another long flight back to another European destination just a few days later. I don't know enough about Olympic athletes but I would guess they move to a place near their training centre then are based there for the bulk of their time.

Maybe tennis players. They play a much longer season too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Well, bringing him up is a good way to start. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:42 am 

Bringing who up??

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:44 am 

Lewis Hamilton. If he feels this thread will tilt towards him, a good start is to mention him just as he did.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:47 am 

mac_d wrote:

Do they really spend that much time away from home doing the actual job? Probably at most 110ish days a year if they stay out for long haul back to backs and including testing. That 110 will include the departing day and the arrival back home day as well. Obviously they do have to spend time doing sponsorship and other events etc as well but I don't think that's to awful.

Remember in most sports almost everyday you are training for or practising that sport. F1 you have to keep fit but you probably get more time away from it than almost any other sportsman.

A swimmer will have to swim almost everyday, a footballer will train 4 days a week and play on 1 etc. An F1 driver has to go away for 4 days every other weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:48 pm 

People settle down later and a lot of people don't even bother marrying. It is the same in normal society but even more so with globally successful and wealthy individuals.

Plus its an entirely male field, so no biological clock hanging over them. Note that Susie Wolf recently retired and within months was pregnant with her first child at 33 years old.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:14 pm 

Wow! Some of the replies in here. :lol: I think this forum needs a group therapy session or something.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:00 pm 

Dont forget, "in th't old days" the drivers had already had a career as something else, like pilot, before getting into F1.

They tended to get married younger then too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:14 pm 

moby wrote:
Dont forget, "in th't old days" the drivers had already had a career as something else, like pilot, before getting into F1.

Hmm....probably risking dying a lot younger too? just saying...

not sure of the purpose of the thread really - but I do think modern F1 cannot have so many characters like the old days. There is just so much more media attention and 'big corporate money' involved that driver image is important. Sad, but thats the way it is. It's the same with lots of things, political correctness, etc - the world has less colourful characters on our media screens because if they say anything remotely non-PC they get lambasted to heck and back. Personally, I would love to hear the drivers arguing honestly and openly after an incident - rather than the media clean spiel they come out with........

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:42 pm 

FringeUK wrote:
moby wrote:

Hmm....probably risking dying a lot younger too? just saying...

not sure of the purpose of the thread really - but I do think modern F1 cannot have so many characters like the old days. There is just so much more media attention and 'big corporate money' involved that driver image is important. Sad, but thats the way it is. It's the same with lots of things, political correctness, etc - the world has less colourful characters on our media screens because if they say anything remotely non-PC they get lambasted to heck and back. Personally, I would love to hear the drivers arguing honestly and openly after an incident - rather than the media clean spiel they come out with........

About 100 times less likely I would say. Thankfully bad and fatal incidents are very, very rare today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:51 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Lewis Hamilton. If he feels this thread will tilt towards him, a good start is to mention him just as he did.

Considering who started the thread, do you honestly think that there was any chance it wouldn't gotten there sooner rather than later???

;)

I'll respond to the opening question, when I get home.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:49 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Wow! Some of the replies in here. :lol: I think this forum needs a group therapy session or something.

Not that I'm trying to exchange one thread argument with you for another, but what replies? I was expecting a ****storm after UnlikeUday's post, but despite some definite attempts by people to turn it into a Hamilton thread I actually find the conversation quite on topic and balanced.

Why do you think people need group therapy? They seem to be discussing the issue quite normally to me, in all honesty.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:38 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
mac_d wrote:

Do they really spend that much time away from home doing the actual job? Probably at most 110ish days a year if they stay out for long haul back to backs and including testing. That 110 will include the departing day and the arrival back home day as well. Obviously they do have to spend time doing sponsorship and other events etc as well but I don't think that's to awful.

Remember in most sports almost everyday you are training for or practising that sport. F1 you have to keep fit but you probably get more time away from it than almost any other sportsman.

A swimmer will have to swim almost everyday, a footballer will train 4 days a week and play on 1 etc. An F1 driver has to go away for 4 days every other weekend.

Well that is not totally accurate although I know what uou were trying to say. F1 drivers trqin on average 6 hours a day ro keep their fitness levels up. Then there are the factory visits, the sim time, the sponsorship commitments, both the teams and personal. So the view that an F1 driver only has to go away 4 days every few weekend misses the serious work that they put in so tjat they are on the top of their game for those 4 days every other weekend. It is grueling being a top alrhlete these days.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:17 am 

justbeingmiko wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
mac_d wrote:

Well that is not totally accurate although I know what uou were trying to say. F1 drivers trqin on average 6 hours a day ro keep their fitness levels up. Then there are the factory visits, the sim time, the sponsorship commitments, both the teams and personal. So the view that an F1 driver only has to go away 4 days every few weekend misses the serious work that they put in so tjat they are on the top of their game for those 4 days every other weekend. It is grueling being a top alrhlete these days.

I find it very hard to believe they spend an average of 6 hours a day just on fitness training. That seems highly excessive when they only have to perform for 90 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:39 am 

The average age for marriage for the countries that these drivers come from is
probably 32-33. Considering the age of the divers the numbers seem about right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:34 pm 

To achieve great expectations one must make great a great commitment.

Additionally, drivers must devote a lot of time to activities we ignore. There are the daily physical and mental training sessions, the corporate commitments, and the absolutely insane amount of travel time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:42 pm 

Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Not that I'm trying to exchange one thread argument with you for another, but what replies? I was expecting a ****storm after UnlikeUday's post, but despite some definite attempts by people to turn it into a Hamilton thread I actually find the conversation quite on topic and balanced.

Why do you think people need group therapy? They seem to be discussing the issue quite normally to me, in all honesty.

I was making a light-hearted jest. Nothing serious and I really don't want to argue for no reason man.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:20 pm 

Lewis Hamilton Lewis Hamilton Lewis Hamilton.....erm, James Hunt