planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:39 pm 

What happened to Dani? I missed the start and within a few laps he was dead last.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
What happened to Dani? I missed the start and within a few laps he was dead last.

Dani just struggles to get heat into the tires because he's so light.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:13 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:

So he just got overtaken by the 12 guys behind him?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:26 pm 

Flyboy--he was 5 seconds a lap slower than the leaders at one point. Cal Crutchlow crashed, went to dead last, got up, and passed Pedrosa before the end of the race. His weight is a huge penalty in rain races with these Michelin tires. As sandman stated, he can't get them to warm up, therefore he can't get any lean angle, he can't get any traction, and he can't stop the bike with any authority. Every lap gets worse and worse.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:51 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:

So he just got overtaken by the 12 guys behind him?

As Cold Gin mentioned above, the problem compounds itself over the course of the race distance. Dani struggles early in extreme wet conditions to get heat into the tires and the issue grows from there as he then cannot get up to the right pace to get temperature into the brakes etc. With Bridgestones this wasn't nearly as big of an issue but with these tires he really struggles.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:27 am 

Cold Gin wrote:
Flyboy--he was 5 seconds a lap slower than the leaders at one point. Cal Crutchlow crashed, went to dead last, got up, and passed Pedrosa before the end of the race. His weight is a huge penalty in rain races with these Michelin tires. As sandman stated, he can't get them to warm up, therefore he can't get any lean angle, he can't get any traction, and he can't stop the bike with any authority. Every lap gets worse and worse.

Look at Jerez last time out. When its a hot day no one can hold a candle to him. The purest, most economical style I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:43 pm 

Jono-

When the conditions are favorable to him, yes, he rides very well. Said favorable conditions have becoming a lot more sparse in the Michelin era. On THAT particular hot day in jerez, he was faster than all. It just doesn't happen every time out, and his diminutive size punishes him with tires unless he can get them to certain window of warmth and grip. Obviously in the rain, he has no chance with these Michelins, and that wasn't the case with the Bridgestones.

Another thing that is puzzling, he used to have starts that made everyone else look pedestrian in comparison, and that just doesn't happen anymore. I miss seeing that, him being a demon off the line.

Pedrosa is a very likeable rider, and he is easily one of the best that has never won a title. It sadly looks unlikely that he'll challenge again, he is obviously not going to do it this season unless something calamitous occurs to the leading guys. I don't see him ripping off several wins in a row on pure pace over Marquez, Dovi, or Vinales. I may be wrong, it could happen, but I don't think so.

Nothing against Pedrosa, either. This new era of regulations---tires, engines, and software---have in general disadvantaged him. I do think, barring any crashes or further rain races, he has an outside chance of competing for third in the table. Something will have to go wrong for someone though, and he is going to have to be on the podium regularly, and snag a couple of wins. Never know---this season has been full of surprises.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:37 am 

Thanks to everyone for their answers. I just didn't know how disadvantaged he was by cold/wet conditions on these tyres. I remember him leading races in the rain and pulling away at a spectacular rate (before falling off). If his mass is compounding the problem, could they add weight to the bike to help in the wet?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:18 am 

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/882364 ... or-pedrosa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 pm 

Why does he not have a lead-lined suit for wet races???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:42 pm 

Because it'd very likely hinder movement so much to cause crashes, or awkward riding and very slow times. I believe they can ballast the motorcycle, but in Pedrosa's case, it doesn't make enough of a difference. Being agile and nimble on the bike is everything. I think I've read somewhere that Pedrosa weighs around 115 pounds. He's truly jockey-size.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:12 pm 

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/882719 ... -wednesday

Impressive.