planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:02 pm 

This year F1 and MotoGP start on the same day. Definitely an exciting weekend!

It's been an interesting off season in MotoGP. Lorenzo is now with Ducati and Viñales is now with Yamaha. Lot's of storylines this year.

I'm tempted to go out on a limb and pick Mav for the championship as he has looked brilliant in testing. Looking forward to Qatar!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:08 pm 

Viñales vs Marquez, probably the beginning of a great rivalry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:32 pm 

Maverick for the title. Marquez to run him close.

Rossi's been looking disappointing in pre-season, I hope he picks it up for Qatar but I've a feeling he might call it a day if Vinales dominates him this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:13 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
Viñales vs Marquez, probably the beginning of a great rivalry.

It's looking that way. Ducati don't look to be on the pace. I think the wing ban hurts them most of all. Rossi and Pedrossa perhaps both starting to get long in the tooth...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:31 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Maverick for the title. Marquez to run him close.

Rossi's been looking disappointing in pre-season, I hope he picks it up for Qatar but I've a feeling he might call it a day if Vinales dominates him this year.

All of this.

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:34 pm 

Everyones getting carried away with Vinales in preseason.
Lorenzo, Rossi and Marquez have 13 premier class world titles between them.

Marquez will win the title and I reckon he'll do it comfortably

Vinales regularly performed better in practice than races last year. He'll probably win in Qatar but if they raced at Philip Island, Valencia or Sepang tomorrow he wouldn't beat marquez. Hes also nothing special in the wet or in mixed conditions.

I also think/hope Rossi is just downplaying his chances. I expect Pedrosa to win a few races this year. Also expect Dovi to impress.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:51 am 

Zazu wrote:

Well, the Ducati doesn't seem to be anywhere near being a title contender and Rossi just doesn't seem to find the pace - I think he's genuinely not happy with preseason testing. I have no doubt he will step it up a notch in race pace, as he has done last year as well, but at his age at some point something is going to give and I think it might be this year.

I don't think the idea of Vinales vs Marquez is that far out - it might not turn out that way but at this point it seems like a reasonable guess.

Last edited by mds on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:34 am 

Did you guys see the Ducati "wing" test bikes? Ugliest bike ever!!

Source motorsport.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:43 pm 

Jesus I love Moto3

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:09 pm 

Okay guys, if you could please tell me how to watch the 2017 MotoGP season on tv in America? I have no clue what "bein Sports" channel is and how to get it???

Any help with this request would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:02 pm 

It's started raining for MotoGP and they can't race in the rain under floodlights because of the poor visibility so they have delayed the start, now they knew it was going to rain later in the day so why take the risk with making it the last race of the day, I call it a shambles.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 17th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:36 pm 

It seems a bit of a farce at the minute. I hope they get racing soon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:26 pm 

What a cracking race that was. Well worth the wait

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:31 pm 

Great race, Dovi put up one hell of a fight!

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:46 pm 

Quite good race! Great win for Viñales, one of many for sure.
Marquez had some sort of problem in the latter part of the race because he was caught even by his slower team-mate Pedrosa.
I forgot about Zarco, he might be the dark horse this year. In the end he was pushing too hard and with the softer tyres, but still, very impressive debut

F1nut wrote:
Okay guys, if you could please tell me how to watch the 2017 MotoGP season on tv in America? I have no clue what "bein Sports" channel is and how to get it???

Any help with this request would be greatly appreciated.

BeIN sports and also ESPN.
Bein is a pay channel.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:09 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
Marquez had some sort of problem in the latter part of the race because he was caught even by his slower team-mate Pedrosa.
I forgot about Zarco, he might be the dark horse this year. In the end he was pushing too hard and with the softer tyres, but still, very impressive debut

Marquez switched to the medium front because of shortening the race. Think it dropped off as the race went on. Crutchlow also struggled after the late switch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:02 pm 

huggybear wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

Marquez switched to the medium front because of shortening the race. Think it dropped off as the race went on. Crutchlow also struggled after the late switch.

Yeah and the only reason Zarco was out front was because he went to those soft tires and was pushing. I don't think he could have held on for the entire race.

Dovi was rider of the day for me. Awesome performance and he made that soft rear last the distance while taking advantage of the Ducati power.

Leave it to Ross to be nowhere all winter and then end up on the podium in the first race. He's got his work cut out for him though this year. Maverick definitely seems to be quicker at the moment but his poor starts might be an issue that costs him this year. It was a problem for him at Suzuki last season too.

Bad day for Jorge and he continues his run of poor performances any time conditions aren't perfect. He really seems to have a narrow performance window ever since the bikes went back to 1000cc. I think it will take at least the first 4-5 races before we see Jorge really start to round into form. Adaptability is not his strong suit.

For Marquez, he has to be a bit concerned. Today was compromised by the wrong tire choice but overall the Honda seems to still be trailing both the Yamaha and the Ducati and it doesn't seem much better than the Suzuki if at all. They haven't gotten any closer than they were last year and last year Marc won on an inferior bike. I think winning the championship last season was one of the heaviest lifts I've ever seen in motorsports in terms of beating superior machinery but Maverick will make that almost impossible this year and I wouldn't count out Rossi yet either. I think Marc might start to look around the paddock if Honda's woes persist. They may be heading into a lean period and that Ducati must be looking mighty attractive right about now...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:18 pm 

Moto3-I think this formula needs a re-think and I'll explain why. We've seen really top riders struggle to win in Moto3 and we've seen Moto3 champions that are clearly not top shelf once they move up. The problem is that there is simply not enough power to ever break away, even if a rider is clearly faster than the others. The effect of the slipstream simply overpowers rider differences in Moto3 and so you can get buried in inferior riders who get a rubber band effect every time you get to the straights. Look at how poorly Danny Kent and Alex Marquez have performed in Moto2. They were both Moto3 champions and they are clearly not up to par with the best in Moto2. Watching Marquez in particular when he won the Moto3 championship, he basically won by clinging to faster riders like Rins and Miller and then using the slipstream to erase any gap that they could build on him. Basically the results in Moto3 don't really tell you much about the riders. There's too much left to chance. They need to bump up the engines to at least 300cc IMO.

In Moto2 Morbidelli looks a bit scary doesn't he? That was utter domination and I do get the feeling that he might run away with the championship. I really think Nakagami might be his biggest threat this year. Luthi doesn't have what it takes to win a championship or he would have done it by now and we need to accept the fact that Alex Marquez is not his brother and will probably end up in superbikes some day. On a side note, it was great to see Quattararo finish 7th in his first race (at just 17 years of age). I think it was a smart idea to pull him out of the Moto3 series; where the lack of power in the bikes really penalizes larger riders heavily. I think Bulega should move to Moto2 next season himself regardless of where he finishes in Moto3 this year because the little bikes put him at way to much of a disadvantage. Moto3 really needs an update IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:54 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
huggybear wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

For Marquez, he has to be a bit concerned. Today was compromised by the wrong tire choice but overall the Honda seems to still be trailing both the Yamaha and the Ducati and it doesn't seem much better than the Suzuki if at all. They haven't gotten any closer than they were last year and last year Marc won on an inferior bike. I think winning the championship last season was one of the heaviest lifts I've ever seen in motorsports in terms of beating superior machinery but Maverick will make that almost impossible this year and I wouldn't count out Rossi yet either. I think Marc might start to look around the paddock if Honda's woes persist. They may be heading into a lean period and that Ducati must be looking mighty attractive right about now...

He's already said in his post race interview after speaking to Michelin he opted for the medium to ensure he didnt crash. If he raced with his preferred hard tyre he'd have been racing for the win or crashed. Qatar is a dreadful circuit for Honda and theres no chance he'll leave anytime soon.

Completely disagree about moto3. When you see them live its bonkers how crazy the races are. Using your moto3 examples you could say moto2 is the same with plenty of recent championship winners not setting motoGP alight. If someone is a superstar its still likely to show here.

I think Moto2 is quite boring and this is a really weak year. Most of the protaganists from lat year moved into motoGP and with Baldassari nursing an injury besides Morbidelli and Luthi I cant see any other regular race winners nevermind title contenders.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:31 am 

It's not just about the tires with Marc, it's the bike. He's at a disadvantage out there for the third year in a row. He probably would have been in the mix at the front had he chosen the hard tire but that's only because of his riding ability.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:30 am 

Great MotoGP race. First of all, downright fantastic to see Zarco up there. I found his performance especially unexpected, because in Moto2 he kind of made a habit of not starting too well, often ending up in a second group, then having a strong second half of the race and getting the job done in the end. Nothing of that yesterday - very feisty from the beginning, taking the lead, then actually pulling a gap of 2 seconds. One can wonder whether he wasn't wrecking his tyres, but still, what a debut!
Second surprise: Rossi's pace. He has been pretty much nowhere up until the lights went out, and then he reminded us all what kind of a competitive animal he actually is. At one time seemed a real threat for Vinales but then tailed off a bit. Still, unexpected podium for him.
Vinales, not really a surprise, but great race. Confident in his abilities, not a great start but built up his race nicely and was really really agressive with his overtakes on Dovi.
Marquez couldn't do a lot with what he was given.
Iannone... When is he ever going to learn to stay on the bike?

Watched Moto2 and Moto3 too but unlike most races last year, found these a bit boring.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:39 am 

Zazu wrote:

Say what? 8)

I've been saying Viñales is the next best thing after Marquez since a couple years ago, he's been winning races since his debut year at 16 years old in the lowest class.
He won Moto3 championship with a slightly worse bike than his rivals, then switching to Moto2 he made a very impressive debut season winning several races and not far from the championship winner, that made Suzuki take him a year earlier than usual. Then in MotoGP you give him the right bike (Yamaha) and he can challenge for the championship.

He is no Marquez because Marquez is just a freak, but still, pretty damn good rider.

Johann Zarco, despite the crash he is also going to do very well, another very good rider, very fast and agressive.

I was also impressed with Iannone's pace with the Suzuki, although, typical of him, he sometimes pushed beyond his limit and crashed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:29 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
Zazu wrote:

Say what? 8)

I've been saying Viñales is the next best thing after Marquez since a couple years ago, he's been winning races since his debut year at 16 years old in the lowest class.
He won Moto3 championship with a slightly worse bike than his rivals, then switching to Moto2 he made a very impressive debut season winning several races and not far from the championship winner, that made Suzuki take him a year earlier than usual. Then in MotoGP you give him the right bike (Yamaha) and he can challenge for the championship.

He is no Marquez because Marquez is just a freak, but still, pretty damn good rider.

Johann Zarco, despite the crash he is also going to do very well, another very good rider, very fast and agressive.

I was also impressed with Iannone's pace with the Suzuki, although, typical of him, he sometimes pushed beyond his limit and crashed

I agree that Maverick definitely has reached "alien" status in MotoGP. For me, he seems to really have tremendous pace and, with the Yamaha, his wheel to wheel fighting has greatly improved. The Suzuki was a bit of a handful under braking but with the M1, he is really comfy making late braking moves. He still needs to get his starts sorted. It's not F1 so you can overcome a bad start but he digs himself a hole at the start of every race and it's a weakness. Unless Honda improves their bike, I don't think Marc will be able to beat him this season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:02 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Zazu wrote:

Say what? 8)

I agree that Maverick definitely has reached "alien" status in MotoGP. For me, he seems to really have tremendous pace and, with the Yamaha, his wheel to wheel fighting has greatly improved. The Suzuki was a bit of a handful under braking but with the M1, he is really comfy making late braking moves. He still needs to get his starts sorted. It's not F1 so you can overcome a bad start but he digs himself a hole at the start of every race and it's a weakness. Unless Honda improves their bike, I don't think Marc will be able to beat him this season.

I would not discard Marc/Honda at all, because they've hard tire problems this first race, because of a late switch to mediums, that proved to be a bad decision.

I can foresee a huge battle between those two and maybe some other rider.
I can see Zarco mixing in there somehow and let's not forget Lorenzo with the Ducati, sooner or later he should to come back close at the top.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:11 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Zazu wrote:

Say what? 8)

I would not discard Marc/Honda at all, because they've hard tire problems this first race, because of a late switch to mediums, that proved to be a bad decision.

I can foresee a huge battle between those two and maybe some other rider.
I can see Zarco mixing in there somehow and let's not forget Lorenzo with the Ducati, sooner or later he should to come back close at the top.

Marc will have to be totally on the limit and I think there will be some crashes this year as he tries to fight the faster bikes. I think that Marc only pulled it off last year because both Rossi and Lorenzo performed poorly with the best bike. I don't think Vinalez will perform poorly this year and I expect him to take full advantage of having a superior bike.

Like I said earlier, I expect Jorge to take time to get up to speed. It might take half of the season before he's really consistently at the front.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:09 pm 

In the Argentina pre-event press conference Scott Redding was asked if he had a time machine where would he go.

He said back to the football hooligan days because its his style. Imagine the uproar if Hamilton said that!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:18 pm 

Two champs looking like chumps. Rossi - down but never out. Go on Cal!

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:45 pm 

I don't watch Moto GP too often, I will do now I have BT but didn't everybody just know Rossi would get Cal?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:53 pm 

That race was promising from Marc. Certainly he seemed to be the fastest man all weekend and he just made a mistake that was costly. Considering Dani's crash, it's reasonable to assume that the Honda has good pace but is still very temperamental and difficult.

Maverick is firmly in control now though and Marc will have to eliminate the crashes in order to get back in the fight.

It was gut wrenching to see his brother Alex crash out from second place on the last lap in the Moto2 race. What a waste! It seems crashes run in the family.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:38 pm 

shame we didnt get to see vinales v marques on track. he is definately similar to lorenzo in the way he reels off consistent laptimes. and his race craft looks decent. should be a great battle with those two for many years. rossi is a fraction off pace wise but if he gets the bike working better it should be a great season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:34 pm 

Moto3 - todays race was fantastic.

Moto2 - I hope the KTM improves so Oliveria can compete with Morbidelli otherwise its going to be a very boring season

MotoGP - How much money have Ducati wasted on development?! I think the Honda is OK, wouldnt surprise me if they got 1,2,3 at COTA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:27 pm 

Fanastic Maverick, two wins out of two, perfect debut in Yamaha. Marquez cannot afford any more mistakes if he wants to challenge for this championship, and he will really have a tough time since the Yamaha seems to be the best bike so far.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:47 pm 

Devastating for the championship. Marquez was on song, and while we will never know, I wouldn't have put money on Vinales catching him at this circuit, the way he was riding---without pushing. That being said, at this point it is very obvious the Yamaha, at least in Vinales' hands, is easy on its tires, turns very well with minimal input, and is a very smooth package overall. The Honda, on the other hand, needs to be sprung extremely stiff so they can make up maximum time under braking. Because of this braking characteristic, they also seem to have to run the hard tire no matter what, otherwise they melt the front after a handful of laps. This additionally makes their bike difficult to ride fast over bumpy surfaces, which is exactly why Pedrosa went down. Pedrosa and Marquez will fight for wins and podiums i think (more Marquez the wins and Pedrosa P3-4), but as far as challenging Vinales, you can almost forget it at this point. Which is why I think it is devastating. If Vinales keeps it up and learns to take points when he can't win, I think he's going to take the title easily, because it appears that he doesn't need to ride at the complete limit to be fast, like the Honda and Ducati riders.

Regarding Ducati, it was painful to watch. I have been a staunch defender of Lorenzo, even before he made the switch from Yamaha, but now I'm having a hard time defending him. If it rains, he's nowhere. If he starts from the back, he's too eager like Sunday. It's hard to see what he is going to do. Austin might be a decent track for Ducati, as there is only one real corner that would give their bike issues, but they seem to have tire issues that prevent them from being consistently fast over longer runs.

That being said, the racing from P3-P10 is going to be thrilling. The Tech3 boys are extremely impressive, and Bautista looks like he is going to embarrass some people (like Lorenzo!) if he can keep from crashing. I greatly look forward to the battles just outside the top 3, and I think Zarco might nick a win this year if all the variables line up in his favor (tire wear, circuit configuration, staring position). He rides the snot out of his M1, and it's thrilling to watch.

Can't wait for Austin. I'll be there with a cold beer in my hand, my family, and a great group of friends. If anyone else has an inclination of going, let me know, I'll be there partying at Ducati Island. :thumbup: :] :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:21 am 

In a 'crashy' race Marquez crashed from the lead, Pedrosa had just set the fastest lap of the race and Crutchlow took a very comfortable podium. I wouldnt write Honda off just yet.

Lorenzo hasn't performed well in the wet recently but everyone seems to have forgotten his previous wet weather performances beating Stoner, Rossi and co. His Ducati adventure looks to be a disaster but I remember watching Argentina a few years ago thinking his style was outdated and he had to change to remain competitive...he then won the next four races and iirc led every lap.

Enjoy Austin, always looks like great venue on TV

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:52 pm 

Will do. It's a great track from a spectator perspective; you can see several areas from numerous spots. The climb up to turn 1 is insanely steep, much moreso than what you see on television.

The tickets for this race are pretty cheap, it's a steal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:23 am 

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp/ ... +Rubber%29

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:34 am 

Cold Gin wrote:
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp/thursday-americas-gp-motogp-summary-2017/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AsphaltandRubber+%28Asphalt+%26+Rubber%29

Nice read. :thumbup:

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 17th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:08 pm 

Cold Gin wrote:
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp/thursday-americas-gp-motogp-summary-2017/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AsphaltandRubber+%28Asphalt+%26+Rubber%29

The same thing happened in F1 with Senna and then Schumacher. Perhaps Senna was the first truly modern driver in terms of his fitness and overall obsessive mindset when it came to racing. Schumacher though was very much the Rossi figure, in that he dominated the sport during an era in which it seemed like he was on a different level than his competition. Then a younger generation of equally dedicated drivers came along and, for them, the bar was raised to the level Michael had set it. Alonso, Button, Raikkonen and eventually Hamilton and Vettel all race on a more competitive playing field than Michael did IMO. I think Montoya was kind of the last of a dying bread of drivers who got by on talent without having the appropriate discipline in terms of diet, exercise, etc. There is really no one on the current grid who is not extremely fit and dedicated to what they do.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:27 pm 

Alex Rins has a dislocation fracture of both bones in his arm, and will miss at least this race, and Jerez. Abraham is riding on a fractured ankle. This track surface is being cruel this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:15 pm 

Vinalez crashes out! That was huge for the championship. Combine that with Marquez winning and Rossi and Pedrosa on the podium and we have what looks like a true battle between Yamaha and Honda right now. Shaping up beautifully!