planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Giovinazzi v Pascal
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:15 pm 

Perhaps folks should note that should Pascal not make it back for the Bahrain race; that will be affecting Giovinazzi. For if he subs for Pascal at the 3rd F1 race (not out of the question) he is no longer allowed to do the 2 days of tire testing later in the season for Ferrari as a young driver with less that 2 F1 races.

It's been a long time since Ferrari had an Italian driver (Fisichella in '09, IIRC) and this may come into play if the powers that be at Ferrari have their eyes on Giovinazzi as a driver in the future. Seems I read somewhere that Fisicella's old manager got him his seat as a reserve Ferrari driver, which has morphed into where he is setting at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:30 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Unfortunately if you want to be selfless this is the wrong sport. One can't help but think there is more to this story than meets the eye. Pascal received medical clearance to race almost a month ago. But we are now at the second race of the season and he still can't race? And a selfless act coming from a guy which reportedly has attitude issues? Not quite buying into that rhetoric to be honest.

I think that's a bit harsh. Choosing not to think the best of someone because you've [i][i]heard[/i][/i] their attitude might not be the best. Perhaps he is trying to improve his general attitude and that is what is making him act so selflessly?

Here's what his boss has to say - "I feel for Pascal, because he has had all the bad luck,"

"I'm impressed with the maturity he has shown to inform Sauber that he wouldn't be able to perform at the level required in Melbourne.

"That took courage and selflessness, which I know earned him a lot of credit within the team."

Of course the boss will be diplomatic.

Would You expect the boss to say that Yes, Ferrari have asked us to sideline Wehrlein as they want Giovinazzi to get some experience under his belt?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:45 am 

F1nut wrote:
Perhaps folks should note that should Pascal not make it back for the Bahrain race; that will be affecting Giovinazzi. For if he subs for Pascal at the 3rd F1 race (not out of the question) he is no longer allowed to do the 2 days of tire testing later in the season for Ferrari as a young driver with less that 2 F1 races.

Eh, I think the experience of doing a full F1 weekend trumps 2 days of tire testing. That, and the exposure is much bigger, especially if he does well like last time out. It gets him established as an actual F1 driver.

So I guess he won't be too bothered with that.

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:47 am 

kleefton wrote:
And a selfless act coming from a guy which reportedly has attitude issues? Not quite buying into that rhetoric to be honest.

Key word there being "reportedly" ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:28 am 

mds wrote:
F1nut wrote:

Eh, I think the experience of doing a full F1 weekend trumps 2 days of tire testing. That, and the exposure is much bigger, especially if he does well like last time out. It gets him established as an actual F1 driver.

2 race weekends in a Sauber + 2 days (and possibly more) testing in a Ferrari vs. 3 race weekends in a Sauber + some other kid driving your Ferrari for 2 days or more (and possibly impressing them). It's worth having a think about at least

That's if there definitely isn't something fishy going on. If there is more to this story then he should cling on to that Sauber seat

FA#14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:14 am 

mcdo wrote:
mds wrote:
F1nut wrote:

2 race weekends in a Sauber + 2 days (and possibly more) testing in a Ferrari vs. 3 race weekends in a Sauber + some other kid driving your Ferrari for 2 days or more (and possibly impressing them). It's worth having a think about at least

So as I said the difference is doing a full F1 weekend vs 2 days of tire testing. I wouldn't spend 5 minutes thinking about it. A tire testing schedule is not a full-on performance test. The window of impressing people isn't really that big, and certainly smaller than that of impressing people during a racing weekend. Same goes for exposure. You're not a "real" F1 driver when you're doing a 2-day test, or at least you aren't acknowledged as being one.

With a hugely talented Leclerc coming through the ranks and now driving for probably the very best team in F2, the timeframe for Giovinazzi to establish himself as an F1 driver is probably limited, so he should make everything out of it while Leclerc is still in F2.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:51 pm 

truth is pascal was stupid in pushing so hard in the race of champions knowing the F1 season was close , but he is young and lacking in maturity
but I bet this thought has crossed his mind many times
this incident did remind me of the kubica rally crash preseason incident although much more severe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:29 pm 

This thread has gone rather quiet

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:22 pm 

mcdo wrote:

There is only so much you can say when it is speculation :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:47 pm 

mcdo wrote:

I thought it was more like crash, bang, wallop? :)

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 17th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:18 pm 

I think Pascal did a solid job there. Still people question his commitment and start accusing about his attitude. If attitude is really a problem in F1 then I think none of the top drivers belongs to F1, they all have the attitude problems.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:40 pm 

robins13 wrote:
I think Pascal did a solid job there. Still people question his commitment and start accusing about his attitude. If attitude is really a problem in F1 then I think none of the top drivers belongs to F1, they all have the attitude problems.

Yeah there really is no legitimate conversation to be had here. He is clearly on a different level from both Ericcson and Gio.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:42 pm 

Blew both of them out the water.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:55 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Blew both of them out the water.

Yep nothing to debate here, close the thread. :)

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 17th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015