planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Indycar - Long Beach
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:19 pm 

Image indycar.com

A nice story for all the ages. Especially for James Hinchcliffe. It was almost 2 years ago since Hinchcliffe was clinging for life after his crash at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during final practice in 2015. And it was the same length of time since his last win in New Orleans. Hinchcliffe manage to survive a 2-stop strategy to win the Long Beach Grand Prix for his 5th win of his career. And it is the 6th for Sam Schmidt Motorsports.

St. Petersburg winner Sebastien Bourdais came up in 2nd with Josef Newgarden in 3rd and his maiden podium for Penske. Scott Dixon and pit issue relegated him to 4th while Simon Pagenaud would not repeat Bourdais feat. He finished 5th. Score 2 for the smaller teams. Will Power had a clash with Ganassi driver Charlie Kimball in turn 4 in the initial lap ending Kimball's day. Power managed to continue.

Andretti Autosport suffered a major blow. Marco Andretti had a defected throttle after 10 laps. Alexander Rossi had a blown engine while running 3rd on lap 62. Same went for Takuma Sato. Ryan Hunter-Reay began to close in until electronics ended his day with only 7 laps to go.

JR Hildebrand suffered a broken hand after colliding with Sam Schmidt Motorsports driver Mikhail Aleshin. Aleshin was penalized for blocking thus losing 11th.

And after 2 events, Bourdais with his 2nd-place finish keeps him as the series points leader with Hinchcliffe in 2nd.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/04/04-09-LB-race

Last edited by Placid on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Indycar - Long Beach
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:42 am 

I'm a huge Hinch fan so I loved the result. The race was enjoyable to watch in general, (despite being a temporary road course where as usual passing is so tough). You have to feel bad for JR as well as Andretti with the 4 DNF's as you have mentioned. Do you think Ryan would have caught and passed Hinch? I don't but I seem to be in the minority amongst my friends

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:43 am 

By the way, great picture of James and Sam.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 pm 

I was there, baby! Only 30 minutes from my house!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:26 am 

Hey Placid, just catching up on the Long Beach race now. The commentator repeatedly mentions Hunter-Reay's drive for cancer. As a casual observer that tries his best to keep up to date, it fascinates me. Is Ryan Hunter-Reay driving every race with a charitable cause or is it a season-long finishing record that various charities have to depend on what they get?

No matter what, it's admirable. It's absolutely amazing really. Something severely lacking from the likes of F1

FA#14