planetf1.com

It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fernando Alonso rumour
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:18 am 

Just seen a tweet from Andrew Benson saying that Fernando Alonso is going to ask permission to do either the Indy 500 or Le Mans this year. I very much doubt it will happen but I guess we will see.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:20 am 

its true , he will race the Honda Andretti car badged as a McLaren

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:20 am 

Says he is going to race Indy 500, missing Monaco GP!!!!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 7-indy-500

Last edited by Sudarshan on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:22 am 

and I suppose the idea of trundling around Monaco in this years McLaren is not overly appealing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:27 am 

I wonder what his chances are of doing what Alexander Rossi did last year by winning the Indy 500 at his first attempt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:31 am 

Jenson Button to race at Monaco then?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:32 am 

Confirmed - no longer a rumour.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... y-500.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:33 am 

Will be interesting to see if the engine can last the distance ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:35 am 

slide wrote:
and I suppose the idea of trundling around Monaco in this years McLaren is not overly appealing

I would have thought Monaco would be the kind of race he doesn't want to miss, less reliance on the engine and more on mechanical grip, McLaren have sounded confident of their chassis this year.

Still, awesome to see F1 drivers venture out to other motorsports, even better when it's one of the best! Now I just need to work out how to watch the race from here in the UK, I tried last year with little success IIRC.

Does this mean we get to see Button back for a race :proud:

Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:36 am 

Wow, didnt see that coming.
Smart move to try to get the triple crown, since again McLaren is not competitive this year, although the Monaco GP could have been an opportunity for him to grab some points...

And yeah I guess Button should be the one replacing him for that race.

Last edited by nixxxon on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:38 am 

Good luck to him. I hope he represents F1 in a great light and has a successful race.
Hopefully between now and then he can get some practice in on an oval as it's a uniquely different challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:53 am 

I'm gob smacked, first of all it shows a lack of commitment to the F1 project, secondly racing on a super speedway is far more dangerous than F1, Alonso could get injured.

This reminds me a bit of Kubica's rallying exploits which finished his F1 career.

However with Alonso in the field it's a race I'm definitely going to watch, just need to find a live stream.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:54 am 

I never saw that coming at all, really cool news. I'll actually watch it now :lol: I wonder if this was encouraged by Liberty?

Also, Jenson coming back!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:04 am 

Was just about to post about this, what a twist! Wonder if he'll pull out of Baku for Le Mans as well (as I imagine that straight won't be much fun)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:05 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
slide wrote:

I would have thought Monaco would be the kind of race he doesn't want to miss, less reliance on the engine and more on mechanical grip, McLaren have sounded confident of their chassis this year.

Still, awesome to see F1 drivers venture out to other motorsports, even better when it's one of the best! Now I just need to work out how to watch the race from here in the UK, I tried last year with little success IIRC.

Exactly, even Bianchi managed to get a point in Monaco and that Manor was even worse than this year's McLaren.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:09 am 

Covalent wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
slide wrote:

Exactly, even Bianchi managed to get a point in Monaco and that Manor was even worse than this year's McLaren.

Alonso wants wins & podiums though, not points. With MB/RB and Ferrari the way they are at the moment the best he can hope for bar accident/reliability issues is 7th. Whereas he has the chance to cement himself as a legend by winning Indy 500 at the first try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:14 am 

Just seen this awesome news. Good for him, hope he does well.

Really wish f1 could change the Monaco weekend so more f1 drivers can take part in the Indy 500 before they pass their prime.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:15 am 

Covalent wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
slide wrote:

Thinking about it more I don't think Alonso cares about scoring a point or two, and I get that,

A chance to win the Indy 500 and set himself up for a potential triple crown assault sounds much more appealing.

Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Incredible news! Absolutely astonishing.

Good for Fred. Putzing around with that Honda engine has to be beyond demoralizing for him. Indy is only 4 hours from my home. I may try to attend this year's race all because of him!

pokerman wrote:
I'm gob smacked, first of all it shows a lack of commitment to the F1 project, secondly racing on a super speedway is far more dangerous than F1, Alonso could get injured.

This reminds me a bit of Kubica's rallying exploits which finished his F1 career.

However with Alonso in the field it's a race I'm definitely going to watch, just need to find a live stream.

Disagree about lack of commitment part. Alonso is as motivated as ever to be F1 champion again, but he knows its yet another wasted year so missing one race would not affect anything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:17 am 

Wow this is interesting. And guess what, I'm going to be at the Indy 500!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:21 am 

nixxxon wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Disagree about lack of commitment part. Alonso is as motivated as ever to be F1 champion again, but he knows its yet another wasted year so missing one race would not affect anything.

You are correct I believe. Fred is as committed as anyone to McLaren. He's just 100% out of the equation with the horrible engine that he is forced to race with. He's achieved as much as anyone could every possibly hope to with McLaren. It's all up to Honda to get their act in order for the team to make any progress at all. The driver is fine, the car is fine, the engine is crap. Fix that last part and THEN McLaren can join the real teams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:25 am 

Fantastic! This will set a trend for other current and ex F1 drivers to follow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:35 am 

This stunning announcement carries multiple messages. Honda are basically admitting their 2017 Formula One engine just plain sucks. It is also painfully obvious that Alonso really, really, REALLY needs somewhere to compete, trundling around (at best) mid-pack is not his cup of tea.

Alonso will be slotted into one of the best teams in Indycar, Andretti Autosport, as part of a six car campaign at Indy. So he will have a good car and team to back him up. He will even enjoy having Sato as his team mate. Go figure.

Questions .. will Button sub for Alonso?
.. what about LeMans, Alonso definitely wants to race there?
.. where will Alonso be in 2018, in a Formula One car, an Indycar, or a LeMans car?
.. does this signal that the new owners of McLaren intend to move out of Formula One or expand to encompass other series?

And of course, how will he fare? IMO Alonso is darn good, but oval racing is a completely different animal.

Oh yea, his car will be in the famous papaya orange livery made famous by Bruce McLaren.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:44 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
what about LeMans, Alonso definitely wants to race there?

Yes, he has said this is part of his ambition to take the triple crown.

Quote:
“I’ve won the Monaco Grand Prix twice, and it’s one of my ambitions to win the Triple Crown, which has been achieved by only one driver in the history of motorsport: Graham Hill,” said Alonso.

"It’s a tough challenge, but I’m up for it. I don’t know when I’m going to race at Le Mans, but one day I intend to. I’m only 35: I’ve got plenty of time for that.”

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... 92888/?s=1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:46 am 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 am 

I'm in shock. I've picked a good year to start following the IndyCar series :D !

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:58 am 

wow, didn't see that coming at all. i saw the article on racer and seriously wondered if it was supposed to be released on april 1st?

don't see this as a lack of alonso's commitment, i see this as honda/mclaren trying to do something for alonso(andretti runs honda usa) i would think there is a very slim chance he returns to mclaren next year, so they would do about anything to help their chances of him returning for one more year

indy is at the end of may, then he can head to canada for that gp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:00 pm 

Bad plan Alonso!

How much experience wil he have had on an oval by then? Even if he qualifies, which he should, the race is completely different to anything he has done. 90% sure to have a crashout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:05 pm 

Cause o this brilliant news, there are 2 scenarios:

1. Who will McLaren want replacing Alonso at McLaren?

2. Who would want to go replacing Alonso at McLaren?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:06 pm 

Sevenfest wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
slide wrote:

Alonso wants wins & podiums though, not points. With MB/RB and Ferrari the way they are at the moment the best he can hope for bar accident/reliability issues is 7th. Whereas he has the chance to cement himself as a legend by winning Indy 500 at the first try

Fair point (pun intended!), but I bet McLaren do care about those potential points (and the millions of euros that may come with them at the season's end). But maybe that's what I takes to keep him onboard.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:08 pm 

moby wrote:
Bad plan Alonso!

How much experience wil he have had on an oval by then? Even if he qualifies, which he should, the race is completely different to anything he has done. 90% sure to have a crashout

He is heading out early (think I read the 15th) to get as much practice mileage in as possible.

It's going to be a tall order for him, and I think he'll do well just to get a decent placing - but its got to be worth a shot right? Fred is often said to be the best driver in the world. Time to test that!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:08 pm 

I think this is great news!! It's sad now that drivers don't take part in other motorsport series so if you get chance I think you have to do it. No doubt he'll be up against it having no oval experience but you have to be in the race to win it. Never thought we'd see someone go for the triple crown again so nice that alonso has gone for the challenge 👍

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:10 pm 

Herb wrote:
moby wrote:
Bad plan Alonso!

He is heading out early (think I read the 15th) to get as much practice mileage in as possible.

It's going to be a tall order for him, and I think he'll do well just to get a decent placing - but its got to be worth a shot right? Fred is often said to be the best driver in the world. Time to test that!

I read that, but I'm sure it will be different in a race where the other cars dont want to help you.
Hope I am wrong, but I think it a bad plan to do just the 500 as a first race on oval

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:16 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
.. does this signal that the new owners of McLaren intend to move out of Formula One or expand to encompass other series?

I wouldn't be that shocked if they did completely leave F1 at some stage in near future, third year in now with this honda PU and they are getting nowhere. It just has to be hurting their brand with smaller teams consistently beating them and also having plenty of DNF's.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:18 pm 

rivf1 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I wouldn't be that shocked if they did completely leave F1 at some stage in near future, third year in now with this honda PU and they are getting nowhere. It just has to be hurting their brand with smaller teams consistently beating them and also having plenty of DNF's.

Although the car will be in Mclaren colours, it is part of an existing team, Andretti, who are also Honda customers.

Would not be shocked if Alonso stayed though

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:23 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
slide wrote:

Fair point (pun intended!), but I bet McLaren do care about those potential points (and the millions of euros that may come with them at the season's end). But maybe that's what I takes to keep him onboard.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the last point - this was likely damage limitation and McLaren have allowed this to help keep him - I said above as well I can see him racing at Le Mans as well.

If I were a betting man I'd also say this is one part of a big marketing strategy to increase McLaren's exposure this year. I'm sure Alonso wanted to race anyway but McLaren entering Indy 500 is a big story (as seen from the reaction of most fans!). The Bruce McLaren film is also out this year and talk of Le Man efforts in the future all gives McLaren the exposure and clicks needed to get some serious sponsors for 2018 and beyond.

2017 is another damage limitation year. I'm sure McLaren would love their animal fighting to get the points in Monaco, but bar a miracle the Honda engine will not make the necessary climb to get higher than 7th in the championship overall this year (If it carries on like this they'll be 9th ahead of Sauber).

Moneywise - Aside from supplying all teams on the grid with parts, they'll still get prize and heritage money this year regardless and they also have enough cash in the bank to not fold so it all makes sense. Potentially losing their star driver over a few points and a few million won't be worth it in the long run.

Quote:
Fair point (pun intended!)

Wheeey ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:27 pm 

Good on him - I guess they owe him some slack after the package he's been given to haul around this year..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:28 pm 

Is it still April 1st?

Seriously this is the most unpredictable thing that has happened in a while! Hard to know what to think about this. Has Alonso ever even raced on an oval? Lol I really can't believe this. Still I will be rooting for him to win!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:44 pm 

Herb wrote:
moby wrote:
Bad plan Alonso!

His chances are pretty decent. Of course, this is one incredibly talented wheelman. But just as important, he will be on a very capable and experienced team. No doubt he will have some of the best people from that team coaching and guiding him through practicing and even the race. IMO Mario will be there to help Alonso.