planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:20 pm 

This is gonna be fun... I guess we'll see what he's really made of. :lol:

Considering even Sato was competitive at the Indy 500 in recent years, Alonso definitely has a good shot at the win. Better than "racing" at Monaco, I guess.

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:22 pm 

Fantastic news but honestly not surprising. Alonso has made it known for years now that he wanted to race Indy and Le Mans. Only Ron stood in his way and now that the McLaren is a dog and his contract is up at the end of the year they could hardly do that again.
I was wondering about all the recent articles with Alonso committing to stay with McLaren to the end of the year and giving them first shot at an extended contract. Suddenly the latter makes a bit more sense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:36 pm 

I wonder if McLaren are planning on sending people over with him. Always a learning opportunity to be had.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:40 pm 

I wonder if F!'s new owners have a hand in here too

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:22 pm 

Joe Saward seems to be suggesting that it might not be a one way deal with Andretti

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/04 ... other-way/

The idea of Rossi running at Monaco is intriguing, although what he has to gain from it (even with aspirations of getting back into F1) is up for debate. Worth nothing the Saward has always had a very soft spot for Rossi, so perhaps knows more than he is letting on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:31 pm 

This is a nice surprise. Shame he won't be in Monaco but the chance to drive in a competitive car at the Indy 500 is too good an opportunity to miss for someone wanting the Triple Crown.

Can't see JB coming back for one race just to try and get a couple of points so maybe Saward is right about the above though I don't know why he's ruling out Nyck de Vries.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:35 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I'm gob smacked, first of all it shows a lack of commitment to the F1 project, secondly racing on a super speedway is far more dangerous than F1, Alonso could get injured.

This reminds me a bit of Kubica's rallying exploits which finished his F1 career.

However with Alonso in the field it's a race I'm definitely going to watch, just need to find a live stream.

Disagree about lack of commitment part. Alonso is as motivated as ever to be F1 champion again, but he knows its yet another wasted year so missing one race would not affect anything.

I was perhaps more thinking about Honda hence the reference to Alonso getting injured and also thinking how Renault must have regretted their decision to allow Kubica to go rallying.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:59 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
This is a nice surprise. Shame he won't be in Monaco but the chance to drive in a competitive car at the Indy 500 is too good an opportunity to miss for someone wanting the Triple Crown.

Can't see JB coming back for one race just to try and get a couple of points so maybe Saward is right about the above though I don't know why he's ruling out Nyck de Vries.

Probably because Nyck de Vries is not that good?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:06 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Joe Saward seems to be suggesting that it might not be a one way deal with Andretti

The idea of Rossi running at Monaco is intriguing, although what he has to gain from it (even with aspirations of getting back into F1) is up for debate. Worth nothing the Saward has always had a very soft spot for Rossi, so perhaps knows more than he is letting on.

Andretti have confirmed they'll be running 6 cars though - surely Rossi will be in one of them

Actually, on the topic of Triple Crowns - maybe Rossi does want a swap so he can take a shot at adding Monaco to his Indy win :o

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:11 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Andretti have confirmed they'll be running 6 cars though - surely Rossi will be in one of them

Actually, on the topic of Triple Crowns - maybe Rossi does want a swap so he can take a shot at adding Monaco to his Indy win :o

Yeah he won't want to miss an opportunity to win the 500 in order to desperately scramble for a point at Monaco.

Rossi for me has been hard-done-by in F1. I just think there is an irrational mentality about American drivers that prevents them from getting opportunities. He seemed to perform more than well enough to get an opportunity if you asked me. In general it's hard to get a chance in F1 without huge financial backing but I really thought his performance warranted a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:14 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Either are McLaren-Honda right now so who else would want a one off race that only really has down sides. He's their junior driver so either him or a Honda backed driver like Matsushita seem more likely unless JB decides a one-off race against Stoff for minor places at Monaco is somehow appealing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:15 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Yeah he won't want to miss an opportunity to win the 500 in order to desperately scramble for a point at Monaco.

Rossi for me has been hard-done-by in F1. I just think there is an irrational mentality about American drivers that prevents them from getting opportunities. He seemed to perform more than well enough to get an opportunity if you asked me. In general it's hard to get a chance in F1 without huge financial backing but I really thought his performance warranted a shot.

Yeah I liked Rossi, thought he really should have been given a proper go at it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:17 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Either are McLaren-Honda right now so who else would want a one off race that only really has down sides. He's their junior driver so either him or a Honda backed driver like Matsushita seem more likely unless JB decides a one-off race against Stoff for minor places at Monaco is somehow appealing.

I doubt he even has a super license given his junior results?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:21 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Nyck or Matsushita?.

I don't actually know in either case I just assumed Nyvk did because he was one that Saward mentioned but he didn't mention Matsushita.

He mentions Webber still holds one. That might be interesting, he's tight with Alonso, goes well around Monaco and might fancy giving one of these cars a go for a one off pay day?. Who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:22 pm 

Yeah, I can't see Rossi either to be honest, why walk away from the 500 to drive that dog when you have a decent chance of winning such a prestigious race.

Incredibly excited to see how Alonso gets on though.... there may well be some vested interests taking a battering on how well he does.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:47 pm 

What's the point of retaining Button if he isn't going to drive when needed?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:49 pm 

ALESI wrote:

To be honest I've no idea but if it was as simple as that I think we'd have heard straight away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:52 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Nyck or Matsushita?.

I don't actually know in either case I just assumed Nyvk did because he was one that Saward mentioned but he didn't mention Matsushita.

He mentions Webber still holds one. That might be interesting, he's tight with Alonso, goes well around Monaco and might fancy giving one of these cars a go for a one off pay day?. Who knows.

According to my detective work he has 30 super license points so he is 10 points short.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:54 pm 

Which one poker?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:55 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Which one poker?

Nyck de Vries.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:57 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Which one poker?

Nyck de Vries.

:thumbup:

Scratch him then. What about Matsushita?(I'm just going to call him Nobby from now on as I keep having to check I'm spelling his name right :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:51 pm 

I don't give a crap who will drive for Alonso at Monaco, that's small potatoes. And no, there is no driver swap going on, that would not even make sense to a politician.

This is how this deal unfolded.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128934/how-alonso-indy-500-deal-happened

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:57 pm 

ALESI wrote:

I think JB wanted to retire, but Ron wanted to keep him as a "driver" because the sponsors love him, and he didn't want him signing a deal with sky or Channel 4.

Would be nice to see him come back, but her seems done with it now Ron isn't around to enforce his contract.

The F1 press seem to expect Jenson to be announced soon.

Last edited by Seanie on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:00 pm 

moby wrote:
Bad plan Alonso!

How much experience wil he have had on an oval by then? Even if he qualifies, which he should, the race is completely different to anything he has done. 90% sure to have a crashout

What a daft statement :lol:
He's never done it before, therefore he shouldn't do it?
What kind of crazy talk is that...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:38 pm 

I wish Alonso the best at the Indy 500. Glad to see him so excited after all the difficulties he's facing this year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:06 pm 

This seems pretty crazy but I love it, definitely won't be missing this Indy 500. It's a good publicity stunt and a way to possibly divert good attention towards Honda/Mclaren, both Indy and F1 could benefit. That said, completely unexpected.

Lotus49 wrote:
ALESI wrote:

To be honest I've no idea but if it was as simple as that I think we'd have heard straight away.

Button did tweet "why am I getting so many phone calls".. I think Button will be driving.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:26 pm 

Why's everyone assuming it's just Alonso? This is great for publicity for Indy, and F1 in America, etc. etc. It may even not be his original idea at all. Although it probably is. Either way, this helps everyone, incl. Liberty.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:32 pm 

WOW! 8O

I absolutely did not expect that. Great news!

Now I'm seriously considering going to my first Indy 500... it's not that far away, and quite affordable for someone used to F1. Hmm... :nod:

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:55 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
Why's everyone assuming it's just Alonso? This is great for publicity for Indy, and F1 in America, etc. etc. It may even not be his original idea at all. Although it probably is. Either way, this helps everyone, incl. Liberty.

In that article Bliny posted above Zak Brown said he initially came up with the idea at Australia saying he would like to do Indy and that Alonso should do it with him, half joking and Fernando was on board with it so the talks became serious over the last few weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:56 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:

Assuming it's just Alonso what?.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:36 pm 

This looks to me as one of the worst decisions in strings of bad decisions Alonso made.

Monaco could be the one of the precious few real chances for Mclaren to score well.

Alonso does not know oval racing by experience, and he has no experience in battles and customs of Indy 500. Remember when Sato was smacked to the wall by the experienced and dirty Dario Franchitti driver on the last lap? Those walls leave no room for error. The probability of a crash for Alonso is very high.

I am very concerned for him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:51 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
This looks to me as one of the worst decisions in strings of bad decisions Alonso made.

Monaco could be the one of the precious few real chances for Mclaren to score well.

Alonso does not know oval racing by experience, and he has no experience in battles and customs of Indy 500. Remember when Sato was smacked to the wall by the experienced and dirty Dario Franchitti driver on the last lap? Those walls leave no room for error. The probability of a crash for Alonso is very high.

I am very concerned for him.

It did dawn on me that, with Alonso's luck, there will be a breakthrough at Monaco from Honda and, coupled with the nature of the circuit, it will lead to Button coming in and winning a race in his car lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:55 pm 

moby wrote:
Bad plan Alonso!

How much experience wil he have had on an oval by then? Even if he qualifies, which he should, the race is completely different to anything he has done. 90% sure to have a crashout

I'm pretty sure Alonso has plenty of experience with turning right and driving straight on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:59 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
moby wrote:
Bad plan Alonso!

I'm pretty sure Alonso has plenty of experience with turning right and driving straight on.

You'll definitely want to turn left at Indy ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:21 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
moby wrote:
Bad plan Alonso!

Its not steering the car, but it must be over a decade since Alonso did any close following and slipstream, and I dont know how many times he was 3 side by side for more than a few seconds.

Us F1 nuts look down on oval, but there are skill involved that need to be learned and practiced, just like any sport

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:45 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Incredible news! Absolutely astonishing.

Good for Fred. Putzing around with that Honda engine has to be beyond demoralizing for him. Indy is only 4 hours from my home. I may try to attend this year's race all because of him!

The IRONY is that Honda is the best IndyCar package right now, I kind of think that Honda was very involved in this situation as favor to Alonso. Buys Honda time to get the F1 car better and could make Alonso one of only people to win F1, Indy500 and Le Mans

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:50 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I'm gob smacked, first of all it shows a lack of commitment to the F1 project, secondly racing on a super speedway is far more dangerous than F1, Alonso could get injured.

This reminds me a bit of Kubica's rallying exploits which finished his F1 career.

However with Alonso in the field it's a race I'm definitely going to watch, just need to find a live stream.

Disagree about lack of commitment part. Alonso is as motivated as ever to be F1 champion again, but he knows its yet another wasted year so missing one race would not affect anything.

Agree, Alonso is committed to racing and winning. He isn't going to win the F1 championship this year, Honda/McLaren can have others help develop that nightmare and give Alonso a chance at winning another trophy in another series. Alonso has been very vocal about wanting to leave F1 if the cars dont get more fun to drive, harder to drive and ability to race wheel to wheel. In a lot of ways I wish F1 was as competitive as Indycar. The reality is that in F1 we can NEVER know who is the top driver(s) just based on how they are placed. This is one of the things INdyCar has going for it (but is also overshadowed by everyone agreeing/assuming that the best drivers are in F1). How fun would it be to see all the top F1 drivers in similar cars? (I know, spec racing is lame, but it is actually a MUCH better indicator of how good drivers are)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:01 pm 

rodH wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Agree, Alonso is committed to racing and winning. He isn't going to win the F1 championship this year, Honda/McLaren can have others help develop that nightmare and give Alonso a chance at winning another trophy in another series. Alonso has been very vocal about wanting to leave F1 if the cars dont get more fun to drive, harder to drive and ability to race wheel to wheel. In a lot of ways I wish F1 was as competitive as Indycar. The reality is that in F1 we can NEVER know who is the top driver(s) just based on how they are placed. This is one of the things INdyCar has going for it (but is also overshadowed by everyone agreeing/assuming that the best drivers are in F1). How fun would it be to see all the top F1 drivers in similar cars? (I know, spec racing is lame, but it is actually a MUCH better indicator of how good drivers are)

Also, have to mention that he is enjoying the cars again, compared to previous years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:06 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Which one poker?

Nyck de Vries.

:thumbup:

Scratch him then. What about Matsushita?(I'm just going to call him Nobby from now on as I keep having to check I'm spelling his name right :lol: )

Nobby has 18 F1 Super license points. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:08 pm 

Seanie wrote:
ALESI wrote:

I think JB wanted to retire, but Ron wanted to keep him as a "driver" because the sponsors love him, and he didn't want him signing a deal with sky or Channel 4.

Would be nice to see him come back, but her seems done with it now Ron isn't around to enforce his contract.

The F1 press seem to expect Jenson to be announced soon.

If Button turns down the drive has he taken money then under false pretenses?