planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:10 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
This looks to me as one of the worst decisions in strings of bad decisions Alonso made.

Monaco could be the one of the precious few real chances for Mclaren to score well.

Alonso does not know oval racing by experience, and he has no experience in battles and customs of Indy 500. Remember when Sato was smacked to the wall by the experienced and dirty Dario Franchitti driver on the last lap? Those walls leave no room for error. The probability of a crash for Alonso is very high.

I am very concerned for him.

Me too. :(

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:26 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
This looks to me as one of the worst decisions in strings of bad decisions Alonso made.

Monaco could be the one of the precious few real chances for Mclaren to score well.

Alonso does not know oval racing by experience, and he has no experience in battles and customs of Indy 500. Remember when Sato was smacked to the wall by the experienced and dirty Dario Franchitti driver on the last lap? Those walls leave no room for error. The probability of a crash for Alonso is very high.

Sato ALWAYS finds a way to make out with a wall. Has there been a driver in history who has more DNFs than Sato?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:27 pm 

Lentulus wrote:
moby wrote:
Bad plan Alonso!

How much experience wil he have had on an oval by then? Even if he qualifies, which he should, the race is completely different to anything he has done. 90% sure to have a crashout

What a daft statement :lol:
He's never done it before, therefore he shouldn't do it?
What kind of crazy talk is that...

When you jump in a pool you have never done it before, but you learn how to do it over time and how to swim first, not the first time and hope for the best

Thats why you have to have a superlicence for F1.

There is no chance for him to try a race first, just straight in at the deep end. Having said that, I would love him to win.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:32 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Agree

People tend to think that oval racing is simple, its far from it.

On the other hand this is great for both F1 and Indy, and both should allow drivers to do this more often.

Montoya did great in Nascar, I see no reason why the great Nascar drivers from today will not come to grips with an F1 car. Next in line should be Hamilton, if not Indy, maybe as an alternate in one of the road courses on the Nascar scheldule. Boris Said moved from Trans Am series to Nascar as an alternate on Road Courses and that was a lot of fun to watch. There was another driver from Australia Super V8s that also drove Nascar and he desteoyed the field on Road Courses, sorry his name I forgot.

I hope Alonso does well but he might be in for a hard weekend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:06 am 

pokerman wrote:
Seanie wrote:
ALESI wrote:
What's the point of retaining Button if he isn't going to drive when needed?

I think JB wanted to retire, but Ron wanted to keep him as a "driver" because the sponsors love him, and he didn't want him signing a deal with sky or Channel 4.

Would be nice to see him come back, but her seems done with it now Ron isn't around to enforce his contract.

The F1 press seem to expect Jenson to be announced soon.

If Button turns down the drive has he taken money then under false pretenses?

Not if its not offered to him in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:10 am 

I just bought two tickets to the Indy 500! All because Alonso is going to be at the race this year. Thank you Fred! Me and my son will be sitting right in turn 1!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:18 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:

Whaat? Sato spun crashed all by himself attempting a near suicidal pass. Franchitti was and is a gentleman of the sport.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:26 am 

The publicity Andretti and Alonso are going to get from this is huge. I can't wait to see how Alonso does but I admit that I am not expecting too much. A finish would be a win, this is a fast race and ovals are not his area of expertise. Yes, Monaco is the sort of track where a crappy car has a chance, but racing a bad car on a processional track does not stand up to the opportunity presented by the '500. Seems like another nail in the coffin for Fernando at McHonda, I don't blame him at all for exploring his options. Maybe we are over thinking this though, maybe it's just an opportunity to do something awesome for him. (Sorry for no formatting, using my phone).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:14 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
Why's everyone assuming it's just Alonso? This is great for publicity for Indy, and F1 in America, etc. etc. It may even not be his original idea at all. Although it probably is. Either way, this helps everyone, incl. Liberty.

In that article Bliny posted above Zak Brown said he initially came up with the idea at Australia saying he would like to do Indy and that Alonso should do it with him, half joking and Fernando was on board with it so the talks became serious over the last few weeks.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128934/how-alonso-indy-500-deal-happened

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:52 am 

From the "Would you have watched F1 in the past" thread I was lead to led to believe that without risk there is no reward. Yet now everyone is fearing for Fernandos life?

Yes, high speed oval racing is dangerous but not significantly more so than any other form of top level Motorsport.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:12 am 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
I just bought two tickets to the Indy 500! All because Alonso is going to be at the race this year. Thank you Fred! Me and my son will be sitting right in turn 1!

Same here, except only one ticket and I don't have a son. I'll be in upper grandstand J - no idea if that's a good seat or not, but I wanted a corner and it was available! :lol:

Should be an interesting contrast, since I'll be seeing F1 in Montreal not long after.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:29 am 

PRFAN wrote:

Agree

People tend to think that oval racing is simple, its far from it.

On the other hand this is great for both F1 and Indy, and both should allow drivers to do this more often.

Montoya did great in Nascar, I see no reason why the great Nascar drivers from today will not come to grips with an F1 car. Next in line should be Hamilton, if not Indy, maybe as an alternate in one of the road courses on the Nascar scheldule. Boris Said moved from Trans Am series to Nascar as an alternate on Road Courses and that was a lot of fun to watch. There was another driver from Australia Super V8s that also drove Nascar and he desteoyed the field on Road Courses, sorry his name I forgot.

I hope Alonso does well but he might be in for a hard weekend

As much as I cheered for Montoya in NASCAR, I still wouldn't say that he did "great".... would accept an amendment to the word "good" though
;)

The Super V8 driver you are thinking of is Marcos Ambrose, and yes, he was hell on the road courses, no question.

Now to the matter of Alonso at the Indy 500.

On one hand, I am very excited by this. Those who have been in this forum for a while know how much I value versatility in drivers and how I rate Mario, A.J., Dan Gurney, Stirling Moss and some others much more highly than some of my fellow F1 fans because of their versatility. That Nando wants to try his hand at INDY car, is pretty cool

On the other hand... I would warn all of us to avoid having too high of expectations. Oval racing is a different "animal" and not as easy as many seem to think...and the INDY 500??? That is yet another level of tough. I have the utmost of respect for Fernando Alonso as a driving talent, believing him to be the best in the sport still................ however, as some have pointed out, to make the INDY 500 your debut race might be a "step" too far. It is not just going around that 2.5 mile track fast enough to qualify that is the issue. With the proper car, I believe that Alonso can do that well.

It is the race itself where I fear for Alonso's choice of a debut. I wish he had started with some of the other ovals first. There are so many nuances that come into play at Indy. We talk in here of how cars have difficult times behind other cars... but at Indy, they will be doing well over 220mph (354kpm)on the straights and in the corners... and cars wont just be behind them, they will be along side him too. There aren't many 350kpm mph corners in F1... are their any? My point is, that practice, even weeks of it, may not give Nando much opportunity to learn about the characteristics of the racing/cars in traffic, and if so, it won't be 33 drivers driving in "anger" And... and this is a big AND... the walls are just a very few meters away, especially at 230mph (370kph).

All fears aside, I hope that Alonso does well, and certainly hope he has a safe race. Good luck, Nando!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:36 am 

Exediron wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Same here, except only one ticket and I don't have a son. I'll be in upper grandstand J - no idea if that's a good seat or not, but I wanted a corner and it was available! :lol:

Should be an interesting contrast, since I'll be seeing F1 in Montreal not long after.

Upper seats in J are great seats... the key is the word UPPER! The Indy veterans say that you should never buy a seat that does not have double letters.. ie Row BB or CC or such. J is just on the exit of Turn 4 as they head to the start finish line. You will be able to see the cars dive into turn 3 after reaching the highest speeds of the lap on the back straight. You will then be able to see them through the short straight and then come out of turn 4 to the finish line. You will probably be able to see the cars as they go into the pits from there as well.

The first time I went to a race there, I was excited as a scalper outside of the track sold me "prime" seats in only the 4 row!!! the problem is... all I could see was the top of the helmets as the cars went by at speed up against the wall. I watched the race standing in various places instead!!! Not a shining moment of intelligence on my part!!!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the 500 this year... had I known a couple of months ago about this adventure, I might have been able to make it happen. (I have a daughter who lives in Indy that I can stay with... that helps!).

If any of you want some help with Indy, parking, restaurants or other things to do, feel free to let me know and I will help all I can... having been to races in Indy (both F1 and the 500) I do know my way around the place pretty well! I figure I have been to 14 races at that track!

P.S. Make sure you allow time to visit the Speedway Museum, I promise you will be amazed...and it is seriously inexpensive! it is toward the south side of the infield.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:58 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
From the "Would you have watched F1 in the past" thread I was lead to led to believe that without risk there is no reward. Yet now everyone is fearing for Fernandos life?

Yes, high speed oval racing is dangerous but not significantly more so than any other form of top level Motorsport.

There's a contingent of people who find any level of risk unacceptable. I am not in that group. Oval race certainly is dangerous but major improvements have been made to make it as safe as can be. The drivers voluntarily enter into these risks so I am not going to demand that the sport be metaphorically castrated to reduce the risk even further.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:01 am 

Blake wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Upper seats in J are great seats... the key is the word UPPER! The Indy veterans say that you should never buy a seat that does not have double letters.. ie Row BB or CC or such. J is just on the exit of Turn 4 as they head to the start finish line. You will be able to see the cars dive into turn 3 after reaching the highest speeds of the lap on the back straight. You will then be able to see them through the short straight and then come out of turn 4 to the finish line. You will probably be able to see the cars as they go into the pits from there as well.

The first time I went to a race there, I was excited as a scalper outside of the track sold me "prime" seats in only the 4 row!!! the problem is... all I could see was the top of the helmets as the cars went by at speed up against the wall. I watched the race standing in various places instead!!! Not a shining moment of intelligence on my part!!!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the 500 this year... had I known a couple of months ago about this adventure, I might have been able to make it happen. (I have a daughter who lives in Indy that I can stay with... that helps!).

If any of you want some help with Indy, parking, restaurants or other things to do, feel free to let me know and I will help all I can... having been to races in Indy (both F1 and the 500) I do know my way around the place pretty well! I figure I have been to 14 races at that track!

P.S. Make sure you allow time to visit the Speedway Museum, I promise you will be amazed...and it is seriously inexpensive! it is toward the south side of the infield.

Uh oh! My tickets have only a single letter! I knew that being close and up front would not be good, but I didnt know that the first 26 rows were not desirable! My seats are in section A, Box 26, Row K? I would have thought being 11 rows up would be OK. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:14 am 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Blake wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Uh oh! My tickets have only a single letter! I knew that being close and up front would not be good, but I didnt know that the first 26 rows were not desirable! My seats are in section A, Box 26, Row K? I would have thought being 11 rows up would be OK. Thoughts?

You will still have a great time. I've only been there once, but my pal has gone umpteen times and I've really studied the seating map and high up (where it's covered too by the way) is definitely better. I think penthouse B is by far the best seating in the place but tickets were starting at $600 each for up there this year so we are in the last row of section H. You should be able to see turn 4, the whole front straight and then the cars heading into turn 1 where it seems a lot of the passing happens. And you are right across from where the winners circle should be.

It is going to be great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:32 am 

jimmyj wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Blake wrote:
Exediron wrote:

You will still have a great time. I've only been there once, but my pal has gone umpteen times and I've really studied the seating map and high up (where it's covered too by the way) is definitely better. I think penthouse B is by far the best seating in the place but tickets were starting at $600 each for up there this year so we are in the last row of section H. You should be able to see turn 4, the whole front straight and then the cars heading into turn 1 where it seems a lot of the passing happens. And you are right across from where the winners circle should be.

It is going to be great.

I think it will be OK as well. Just being there will be amazing. I should have gone to the 500 back in the day when I followed CART racing but for some reason, never got off my butt. The track is only 4 hours away and that's just too easy a drive. Having Fernado Alonso at the race finally inspired me to make this the year I get to see the Indy 500.

The only thing to worry about is the weather. Rain is a big day killer for oval racing. I've been to a grand prix where it rained and that was awesome, but at Indy, it just shuts down the show.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:48 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Indy is not really an oval though 8) At least not the typical oval... its a square track with rounded corners with not much banking, pretty sure Alonso has TONS of experience in similar left-hander corners.

Source: indymotorspeedway.com

The banking is much lower than the typical oval Daytona style steep banking

Source: wikimapia.org

Last edited by nixxxon on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:51 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Indy is not an oval though 8) its a square track with rounded corners with very little banking, pretty sure Alonso has TONS of experience in corners like this or similar.

at 330kpm with cars perhaps all around him?
;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:58 pm 

Blake wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Indy is not an oval though 8) its a square track with rounded corners with very little banking, pretty sure Alonso has TONS of experience in corners like this or similar.

;)

He has plenty of experience of being surrounded by other competitors at karting.
He has also experience of high speed wheel to wheel racing in F1.

I dont think that will be a problem for him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:57 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
Blake wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

;)

He has plenty of experience of being surrounded by other competitors at karting.
He has also experience of high speed wheel to wheel racing in F1.

I dont think that will be a problem for him.

He'll be fine but he may crash out. It's likely that he'll be trying to win the race like his life depends on it and he will have supreme confidence that he is the best driver out there. Very likely that he'll underestimate the overall challenge or simply make a slight miscalculation in what is a very new situation for him. He certainly won't just be tip-toeing around trying to learn lol.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:15 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Seanie wrote:
ALESI wrote:
What's the point of retaining Button if he isn't going to drive when needed?

I think JB wanted to retire, but Ron wanted to keep him as a "driver" because the sponsors love him, and he didn't want him signing a deal with sky or Channel 4.

Would be nice to see him come back, but her seems done with it now Ron isn't around to enforce his contract.

The F1 press seem to expect Jenson to be announced soon.

If Button turns down the drive has he taken money then under false pretenses?

Not necessarily. McLaren might not want him. Unlikely, but they could want a younger driver in.

I'm sure if McLaren need him to drive, he'll honor is contract.

I'd imagine they might have whoever it is come in for FP1 in the next few races?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:15 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
Why's everyone assuming it's just Alonso? This is great for publicity for Indy, and F1 in America, etc. etc. It may even not be his original idea at all. Although it probably is. Either way, this helps everyone, incl. Liberty.

In that article Bliny posted above Zak Brown said he initially came up with the idea at Australia saying he would like to do Indy and that Alonso should do it with him, half joking and Fernando was on board with it so the talks became serious over the last few weeks.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128934/how-alonso-indy-500-deal-happened

Whilst this is a great thing for the fans of motor racing, I have to question the thought process behind the head of Mclaren and their star driver coming up with the idea of dropping out of the Monaco gp and doing the Indy 500, whilst the rest of the team suffers what could be a disastrous weekend at the biggest F1 race of the year. It's clear Alonso has no confidence in Mclaren improving much this year so I can understand him wanting to do other things, but for Zak Brown to have apparently come up with the idea seems...not right. It's one thing letting Alonso off the leash as a ploy to keep him, but to take your best driver out of Monaco to race in one of the most dangerous events in motor racing is pretty extreme for a team in their position.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:41 pm 

Which headline offers the better publicity:

Honda powers Alonso to Indy 500 win

Honda slammed by Alonso as engine blows up on formation lap/he drives like a man possessed to the lofty heights of 14th.

Indy is Honda's chance to show Alonso that they can actually build decent engines.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:11 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

"There is no accomplishment without risk."

Thank GOD for men like Fernando Alonso.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:29 am 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Blake wrote:

Mine's a single letter too, although a bit higher. I'll be in 'Stand: JUPPER , Section: S24 , Row: U'. So not much below the double letters. If I go again I'll try to grab a penthouse section seat, but all the single seats seemed to be sold out already by the time I checked, so I figured I'd just get a slightly less desirable seat direct from IMS and skip the resale websites. Cut my price in half (or less) so I can't complain!

Like you, Indy is a pretty easy 4ish hour drive from where I live, but I've never got around to going. I saw the news that Alonso would be there, and I just figured it was too good an opportunity to pass up. I don't really expect him to win (although I'd love it if he can), but it should be a great event anyway, and I do expect him to be competitive.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:09 am 

I wish I didn't have a previous commitment, as I would have loved to join you all.

Suggestion: park in downtown Indy and take one of the shuttle buses over to the track on race day. The cost is minimal compared to track side parking... even those a mile away...and the traffic is not your worry as they have certain streets dedicated to only the shuttle buses. last I went, I think the fee was $15... a bargain. You might want to check online to see where the buses stage, but I believe that the two big stadiums downtown are two of the pickup and return points.

As for Friday and Saturday, you may well take your chances at the track. I have gotten there early enough at times to be to park in the infield... very handy indeed.

BTW, any of you coming from the East, if you pass through Dayton, OH... leave time to visit the Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum... it is absolutely incredible.........and it is free.
:)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:02 am 

Watching Ted's interview with Hamilton on this, I think He is considering it. He seemed very keen.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:31 am 

McLaren have officially announced button will drive at Monaco. Best of luck to him, hope he kicks some donkey.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:41 am 

I'm sure Alonso is very much aware of the risks, because I heard him say multiple times that he wants to be the best driver in the war.

Top Three 2016: 14th. 2017: 3rd
Group Pick'em 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 2nd [1 win]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:55 am 

TypingChicane wrote:
I'm sure Alonso is very much aware of the risks, because I heard him say multiple times that he wants to be the best driver in the war.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:48 am 

Blake wrote:
I wish I didn't have a previous commitment, as I would have loved to join you all.

Suggestion: park in downtown Indy and take one of the shuttle buses over to the track on race day. The cost is minimal compared to track side parking... even those a mile away...and the traffic is not your worry as they have certain streets dedicated to only the shuttle buses. last I went, I think the fee was $15... a bargain. You might want to check online to see where the buses stage, but I believe that the two big stadiums downtown are two of the pickup and return points.

As for Friday and Saturday, you may well take your chances at the track. I have gotten there early enough at times to be to park in the infield... very handy indeed.

BTW, any of you coming from the East, if you pass through Dayton, OH... leave time to visit the Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum... it is absolutely incredible.........and it is free.

Thanks for the idea. How long do you think the return trip to downtown via bus is? Will the traffic push that into the several hours range? I'm going to be driving back up to Michigan and would want to get going faster than a 2-3 hour delay.

I expect to arrive at the track around 8-9 am. Are parking options near the track good at that time or is that too late?

I've been to Wright Patterson Airforce base. It's enormous and very much worth a visit. However, you need a LOT of time to do that place justice. It's huge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:50 am 

Exediron wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Blake wrote:

Mine's a single letter too, although a bit higher. I'll be in 'Stand: JUPPER , Section: S24 , Row: U'. So not much below the double letters. If I go again I'll try to grab a penthouse section seat, but all the single seats seemed to be sold out already by the time I checked, so I figured I'd just get a slightly less desirable seat direct from IMS and skip the resale websites. Cut my price in half (or less) so I can't complain!

Like you, Indy is a pretty easy 4ish hour drive from where I live, but I've never got around to going. I saw the news that Alonso would be there, and I just figured it was too good an opportunity to pass up. I don't really expect him to win (although I'd love it if he can), but it should be a great event anyway, and I do expect him to be competitive.

I bet there's a fair number of people like us, who are going to Indy strictly based on the Alonso news. This is pretty exciting news and I hope other drivers are allowed to follow him, by moving Monaco to a different date next year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:54 am 

rivf1 wrote:
McLaren have officially announced button will drive at Monaco. Best of luck to him, hope he kicks some donkey.

And they will give him zero time in the car until the race itself. What? 8O

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:40 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Blake wrote:

Thanks for the idea. How long do you think the return trip to downtown via bus is? Will the traffic push that into the several hours range? I'm going to be driving back up to Michigan and would want to get going faster than a 2-3 hour delay.

I expect to arrive at the track around 8-9 am. Are parking options near the track good at that time or is that too late?

I've been to Wright Patterson Airforce base. It's enormous and very much worth a visit. However, you need a LOT of time to do that place justice. It's huge.

The time to "evacuate" from the track and get back downtown to your car is relatively short... maybe Half an hour after races end. walk a couple of blocks to the gathering point and a 15 minute ride to where you got on and where your car will be.

You should get good parking near track in that time frame other than on race day... on race day, 6am might not get you close!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:36 pm 

Underviewer wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

Whilst this is a great thing for the fans of motor racing, I have to question the thought process behind the head of Mclaren and their star driver coming up with the idea of dropping out of the Monaco gp and doing the Indy 500, whilst the rest of the team suffers what could be a disastrous weekend at the biggest F1 race of the year. It's clear Alonso has no confidence in Mclaren improving much this year so I can understand him wanting to do other things, but for Zak Brown to have apparently come up with the idea seems...not right. It's one thing letting Alonso off the leash as a ploy to keep him, but to take your best driver out of Monaco to race in one of the most dangerous events in motor racing is pretty extreme for a team in their position.

You're overthinking this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:34 pm 

Blake wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Blake wrote:

The time to "evacuate" from the track and get back downtown to your car is relatively short... maybe Half an hour after races end. walk a couple of blocks to the gathering point and a 15 minute ride to where you got on and where your car will be.

You should get good parking near track in that time frame other than on race day... on race day, 6am might not get you close!

Last year we showed up race day at 5:45 am and we were about 20th in line. Crazy early, but the wait in line is kind of fun because everyone else is excited about racing and there are lots of people willing to chat. Some of them have been to Indy for many years, so there are all sorts of stories.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:03 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
rivf1 wrote:

And they will give him zero time in the car until the race itself. What? 8O

Practice and qualy?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:06 pm 

moby wrote:
Lentulus wrote:
moby wrote:
Bad plan Alonso!

How much experience wil he have had on an oval by then? Even if he qualifies, which he should, the race is completely different to anything he has done. 90% sure to have a crashout

What a daft statement :lol:
He's never done it before, therefore he shouldn't do it?
What kind of crazy talk is that...

When you jump in a pool you have never done it before, but you learn how to do it over time and how to swim first, not the first time and hope for the best

Thats why you have to have a superlicence for F1.

There is no chance for him to try a race first, just straight in at the deep end. Having said that, I would love him to win.

I disagree.
To carry on using your swimming analogy (a pretty good analogy btw), you cannot learn to swim without first jumping in the pool.
Whether you go shallow end or deep end first is a matter of choice, as people learn better in different ways - some like to dip a toe in first, some will plunge straight in.
Both ways can lead to triumph or disaster.

And the F1 superlicence has nothing to do with it. It's been proved many times to be meaningless due to some licence holders being rubbish, and other who didn't technically qualify for one (but still acquiring one anyway) going on to be good.

We can agree on wanting Alonso to succeed though, this kind of willingness to leave one's comfort zone should always be encouraged and applauded! :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:15 pm 

A brief article from motorsport.com with comments from JPM about Alonso at the Indy this year. Montoya won 2 years ago but had a DNF last year. It will be neat to see the two of them out there together.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... ic-893088/