planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:16 pm 

Apart from the mistake Bottas did last race behind the SC I think he has looked so calm and secure in himself, able to run so close to Hamilton. Rosberg never seemed that secure in his ability to beat Hamilton. Even though he too was able to outqualify Hamilton at times he had to resort to reliability to win a WDC, I don't think Bottas will have to do that.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:16 pm 

Hamilton very gracious to Bottas in the presser, and admits he was producing good laps but Bottas was even better. Bottas is thrilled and sneakily said at the end that his lap was "good enough" today after talking about how technical the track was, as though to say he could have gone faster perhaps.. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:17 pm 

kleefton wrote:
I have 2 words for ferrari: development race

With all those updates they brought it looks like they have fallen behind again. Even redbull is closer to them now. Im very worried about ferrari already.

Oh and great job by bottas. I have always had a lot of respect for him as a driver.

It's very worrying but I'm thinking...

This is a power dependent circuit and the lap times haven't improved much from last year because there's very little aero dependence.

We know Mercedes have an extra power boost in qualifying, could it be possible Mercedes lead on the power front and Ferrari on the aero front? With the Q3 mode increasing the gap?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:17 pm 

Migen wrote:
So, have people come to terms that Mercedes still have an advantage (in qualy trim at least), or are we going to get "Bottas made all the difference" this time around?

Nah, the Merc boys are clearly half a second faster than anyone else. It's purely talent and the car's probably just behind the Ferrari on pace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:18 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

With all those updates they brought it looks like they have fallen behind again. Even redbull is closer to them now. Im very worried about ferrari already.

Oh and great job by bottas. I have always had a lot of respect for him as a driver.

This is a power dependent circuit and the lap times haven't improved much from last year because there's very little aero dependence.

We know Mercedes have an extra power boost in qualifying, could it be possible Mercedes lead on the power front and Ferrari on the aero front? With the Q3 mode increasing the gap?

I believe Kimi has been consistently quickest in S2 - does that help shed any light?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:21 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

I believe Kimi has been consistently quickest in S2 - does that help shed any light?

It would support the view in my post since S2 is an aero sector with both of the high speed sections of the track in. S1 & S3 are basically just straights and 90 degree corners.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:22 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Caserole of Nonsense wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Bottas! Superb pole!

In other news, Kimi f**s up again and loses a place to Ricciardo

tbh 3 tenths to vettel is what i would expect. not sure if the last set was new or used but he did a pb with them so if they were used it wasnt too bad

worrying gap to merc for ferrari. didnt expect that at all. well done valteri. i love it when hamilton gets beat.

The last set was new. They are the extra set everyone in Q3 gets.

It was bad. The Ferrari is much better than the Red Bull. They should be guaranteed front two rows, barring weather or technical issues

ah yeah. forgot about the extra set. unfortunately i see deja vu for the race. understeer and wearing tyres. fully expect him to be well beaten again unfortunately. hopefully ferrari will be aggressive on strategy for once to get him ahead of redbulls (probably both after the start!) and then he can hold them off probably.

cant believe the cars were only 7 tenths quicker then last year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:22 pm 

Good work from Bottas! Congratulations on his first ever pole!
Fifth Finn to be on pole and the first since 2008 British GP! It's been a while...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:23 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

It would support the view in my post since S2 is an aero sector with both of the high speed sections of the track in. S1 & S3 are basically just straights and 90 degree corners.

Seems that way!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:23 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Nah, the Merc boys are clearly half a second faster than anyone else. It's purely talent and the car's probably just behind the Ferrari on pace

No need to be facetious, Zoue. Ferrari was a lot closer in China.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:28 pm 

Rachael Brookes-"Great job there"
Palmer-"I put it in the wrong engine mode and had no deployment"

Great job indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:31 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

The Merc q3 mode is there and it isnt going anywhere but its been there for the first 2 races too and ferrari was closer. They have brought a lot of updates for this venue and the higher temperatures were supposed to suit them. Everything pounted to them beating merc this weekend. Very hard to imagine that now imo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:31 pm 

It's a killer qualy for Ferrari. Time to scratch heads some.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:33 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
Zoue wrote:

yep, and then it was apparently the drivers who made the difference...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:35 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

The Merc q3 mode is there and it isnt going anywhere but its been there for the first 2 races too and ferrari was closer. They have brought a lot of updates for this venue and the higher temperatures were supposed to suit them. Everything pounted to them beating merc this weekend. Very hard to imagine that now imo.

I agree. This was supposed to be a good circuit for them

"I was very happy with my first lap, crossed the line, looked up and saw both were ahead," admits Vettel. "When I got the time I was a bit down to be honest. Four tenths was a lot more than I expected given how good the lap felt."

http://www.autosport.com/live/commentary/id/2552013/bahrain-gp-final-practice-and-qualifying

They'd better hope it's something as simple as the upgrades not working as planned as otherwise things look a little bleak.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:37 pm 

Bottas is 5/2 to win tomorrow. Hamilton is still strong favourite at 1/1. Vettel is 7/2

Bottas semms like a good bet, all down to the start probably.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:38 pm 

Woooohoooo., great job Bottas! I hope he has a better race tomorrow than in China.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:38 pm 

Zoue wrote:

To be fair the top 3 in China were within 2 tenths and the guy that was two tenths faster is the most prolific driver at said track by a margin. It's vastly more likely that the drivers made the difference in China than Bahrain.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:40 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
Zoue wrote:

To be fair the top 3 in China were within 2 tenths and the guy that was two tenths faster is the most prolific driver at said track by a margin. It's vastly more likely that the drivers made the difference in China than Bahrain.

Kimi's still making a lot of the difference. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:42 pm 

Ham put in a good first lap and the pressure was on Bottas, as it's easy to make small mistakes around here. He did very well to put in a very clean lap free of errors and snuck out the pole.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:45 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
Zoue wrote:

So you're saying it's likely Merc didn't have a special qualy mode in China but saved it for Bahrain? Er, OK. I think that's highly unlikely, myself and the fact that the margin was only a couple of tenths suggests that Vettel actually had the best qualifying lap of the lot of them and it was actually the car that made the difference

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:46 pm 

Yeah Bottas did well. Good track for him over the years(In quali anyway) so if he gets a good getaway he should get his first win.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:58 pm 

Zoue wrote:
So you're saying it's likely Merc didn't have a special qualy mode in China but saved it for Bahrain? Er, OK. I think that's highly unlikely, myself and the fact that the margin was only a couple of tenths suggests that Vettel actually had the best qualifying lap of the lot of them and it was actually the car that made the difference

We've seen Ferrari turn up the wick in Q3 as well (at least when Vettel's driving), I think your conclusion requires the premise that Bottas and Raikkonen are driving at the baseline of their respective cars. There is no evidence to suggest that they are at a similar level at all. Kimi looks like he'd get beat by Hulkenberg or Perez. I think my theory fits better than yours but we'll never know!

Lotus49 wrote:
Yeah Bottas did well. Good track for him over the years(In quali anyway) so if he gets a good getaway he should get his first win.

I'm not so sure, if there is a Valterri train tomorrow and Ferrari are competitive in race trim then team orders may get invoked so Mercedes doesn't lose the 1-2.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:00 pm 

Bacus wrote:
I don't think this track it's gonna face much lap time improvement compared to last year. Maybe something in the lines of what was in Melbourne, or even less.
It has many straights and not much corners that require a lot of mid-corner grip.

Like I said :)

F1Tyrant wrote:
lamo wrote:
I would be very surprised, I predict the 28s.

Pole last year was a 1:29.4

Pole in China 2017 to 2016 -3.7 seconds. Do you expect the improvement at Bahrain to be just over a third of what we saw in China? I don't buy it.

Yes, you should buy it :-P

We should think more in terms of the specific of tracks. It's very important both for these new cars improvement and Merc/Ferrari duel. It seems many people are not paying attention to this.

Corners where the steering wheel is longer on full lock (that require a lot of mechanical/aero grip) = big improvement for 2017 cars

Straights, entry and exit of corners (balance of the car) = not so much favoring the 2017 cars. And Bahrain has a lot of those.
It's no wonder Merc is further in front of Ferrari at this track considering the type of corners and the straights...

Looking ahead, tracks where they should massively improve could be: Spain (we already saw in testing), Silverstone, Hungary, Malaysia...
Tracks like Canada or Monza could have one of the list improvements.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:04 pm 

I find Hamiltons 1 lap pace against Bottas slightly underwhelming, I have always said Hamiltons strength is race pace rather than qualifying. But I would have expected a slightly bigger gap in the first 2 races and still able to beat Bottas on a bad day.

It does seem a reasonably good track for Bottas. Beating Massa 3 times;
2014: -0.250
2015: -0.350
2016: -0.002

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:06 pm 

Bacus wrote:
Yes, you should buy it :-P

Lamo, made me look a bit silly there. Which is a decent achievement given I look like a Lewis Hamilton advertisement. :proud:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:08 pm 

lamo wrote:
I find Hamiltons 1 lap pace against Bottas slightly underwhelming, I have always said Hamiltons strength is race pace rather than qualifying.

Bottas is a much better qualifier than a racer, reminds me of Trulli (from what I've seen of him when he drove for Renault).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:45 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:

Great job indeed.
Hopefully - that may explain at least a good portion of the gap to his team-mate. I'm not suggesting that Jolyon is as good as Hulk, but over a second off..?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:48 pm 

I don't know why I let it annoy me because it's so chuffing ridiculous, but nothing has changed on the C4 commentator front in 2017. Bottas being slightly faster in sector one immediately indicates that Hamilton is saving his tyres for sector three...

When would that statement EVER be reversed in Bottas' (or any other driver's) favour?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:51 pm 

I'm really encouraged by Renault's result, I hope this is the start of regular Q3 appearances and push for podiums. If there's no seat at Mercedes or Ferrari next season I wouldn't be surprised to see Alonso back at Renault for next season.

Last edited by GingerFurball on Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:52 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Great job indeed.
Hopefully - that may explain at least a good portion of the gap to his team-mate. I'm not suggesting that Jolyon is as good as Hulk, but over a second off..?

I never thought Palmer was a top 3 driver, but I never had him down for a dud either. I had just about written him off from the last 2 races, but apparently he has a problem with the car that they cannot find, and had break problems in race one.

I think he should show himself as a mid field driver in the next 2 races, or look for a new job. Doc John claims he has just been unlucky. Being mates with Hulk is as bad as luck comes when you are compared to them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:58 pm 

ALESI wrote:
Bottas being slightly faster in sector one immediately indicates that Hamilton is saving his tyres for sector three...

It's bias but Hamilton is one of the best at getting the maximum out of a set of tyres over an entire lap (over a race distance is another thing entirely, mind). It's a key part of his qualifying philosophy. If you watch his onboards, he rarely fights the car and has a good feel for the grip on exit even while breaking earlier than his rivals in high speed corners (turn 11 and 12 this year at Melbourne is a good example).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:08 pm 

Zoue wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Interesting how you seem to feel vindicated here. To me, Mercedes have the edge here but that doesn't rewrite the history of the first two rounds in which there was not a clear advantage for either team.

The gap here is quite surprising considering Ferrari brought a huge upgrade package to this race. Perhaps Ferrari's "upgrades" have struck again.

Very impressive from Bottas in this session. I think it makes for an interesting race. We'll have to see whether their advantage sticks on Sunday.

Kimi is in trouble if both Red Bull and Renault can be competitive moving forward. There will be other cars between him and the front-runners. Bring on the race!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:14 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
Zoue wrote:

We've seen Ferrari turn up the wick in Q3 as well (at least when Vettel's driving), I think your conclusion requires the premise that Bottas and Raikkonen are driving at the baseline of their respective cars. There is no evidence to suggest that they are at a similar level at all. Kimi looks like he'd get beat by Hulkenberg or Perez. I think my theory fits better than yours but we'll never know!
Actually, my conclusion relies simply on believing Mercedes have a special qualifying mode and Vettel is a good driver. Doesn't need much more than that. But you're right, we'll never know for sure

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:21 pm 

Good lap from Bottas.
Hamilton made a horlicks of sector 2 so only deserves p2.
Solid from Vettel.
Kimi needs putting out of my misery.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:27 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Actually, my conclusion relies simply on believing Mercedes have a special qualifying mode and Vettel is a good driver. Doesn't need much more than that.

Australia Q2 - Q3 difference: HAM -1.0 VET -0.95 BOT -0.7
China Q2 - Q3 difference: HAM -0.7 VET -0.5 BOT -0.7

From the above evidence you could easily make the claim that Ferrari also have a Q3 qualifying mode. It's been speculated they have had such a mode since 2015. Ferrari Q3 mode vs Vettel epic qualifying skill... again it's a personal call.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:31 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Actually, my conclusion relies simply on believing Mercedes have a special qualifying mode and Vettel is a good driver. Doesn't need much more than that.

From the above evidence you could easily make the claim that Ferrari also have a Q3 qualifying mode. It's been speculated they have had such a mode since 2015. Ferrari Q3 mode vs Vettel epic qualifying skill... again it's a personal call.

Sorry but this Q2-Q3 comparison is nonsense unless you believe that they go all out in Q2. Which I don't, to be very fair, as the top two teams could reach Q3 while driving well within themselves. The added bonus of driving a conservative Q2 lap is they don't use as much of their race tyres.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:33 pm 

mds wrote:
Sorry but this Q2-Q3 comparison is nonsense unless you believe that they go all out in Q2. Which I don't, to be very fair, as the top two teams could reach Q3 while driving well within themselves. The added bonus of driving a conservative Q2 lap is they don't use as much of their race tyres.

My point is that the difference between all three drivers isn't that different. It's a leap to say it's mostly engine mode for the Mercs and mostly driver skill for Vettel (although Kimi's very poor showing this year makes it a possibility).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:33 pm 

Congratulations to Bottas, a very impressive performance.

IMO the Ferrari upgrades favor race pace versus single lap qualifying pace. I also believe that Mercedes are very aware of this, and did not focus their practice on sheer pace but rather explored race pace and tire degradation. This is what got Vettel his win in Australia, and Ferrari hope for a repeat. The race pace strategy also plays to Raikkonen's strengths, so despite the noise, I expect him to finish well.

Hulkenberg stated that his qualifying lap was one of his best ever, one of those "miracle" laps a driver occasionally puts in.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:45 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Not according to Pt Symonds. But what does he know, right?

"I think tomorrow will be swayed towards Ferrari," predicted Sky F1's Pat Symonds. "Mercedes are concerned about rear tyres. Ferrari will be a lot closer tomorrow. They haven't got this amazing qualifying mode [which Mercedes bring out]. Tyre management is Ferrari's strong point and I'm hoping for a close race."

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10837073/bahrain-gp-qualifying-valtteri-bottas-snatches-pole-position-ahead-of-lewis-hamilton