planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:25 pm

All times are UTC

Where will Fernando finish in the Indy 500?
Win or top 5 42%  42%  [ 27 ]
Between 5th and 10th 17%  17%  [ 11 ]
Between 10th and 20th 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Worse than 20th but still running 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
DNF 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 65
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:21 am 

Where will he end up?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:35 am 

With his luck probably a DNF. I can already see the jokes if his Honda engine lets go.

If he can make the start grid then I'm (semi-realistically) hoping for Top 10. Of course I hope he wins it but I think that's just too fanciful and while Top 10 sounds like a stretch too if he can keep his nose clean then why not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:37 am 

I wonder what odds you'll get for him to win.

I put top 5, but that is probably wishful thinking.

I think it will be a huge achievement to get anywhere close to the top 10 really, but if anyone could do it, I'd bet Alonso could.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:38 am 

Herb wrote:

I think it will be a huge achievement to get anywhere close to the top 10 really, but if anyone could do it, I'd bet Alonso could.

I think Ladbrokes had the pole at 20/1 and the win at 16/1.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:42 am 

Win/Top 5 unless he has a car problem or a collision.
If Montoya won two times (last one with 39 y/o) and Alex Rossi won it on his debut, Alonso can do it too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:47 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
Herb wrote:

I think Ladbrokes had the pole at 20/1 and the win at 16/1.

Just checked the only app I have. Paddy Power have it at 20/1 for the win. Stuck a fiver on.

I don't really do gambling!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:51 am 

I have absolutely no idea. I'm going to vote win purely because I'd like it if he won. Not an informed decision here whatsoever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:09 pm 

Can you add a "Bored out of his mind driving around an oval for 500 miles" option :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm 

I'm going to be optimistic and assume he'll finish the race. And if so I don't think 5th to 10th is unreasonable. That'd be a very good result

FA#14

Last edited by mcdo on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm 

I won't rule anything out, but I don't see him making the top ten. There will be a lot of good drivers with more oval, and more specifically Indy, experience than him in cars as good or better than his.

For a little added flavor, or angst depending on your point of view, I'll add that Rossi's Honda engine went poof at Long Beach last weekend. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:21 pm 

rivf1 wrote:
Can you add a "Bored out of his mind driving around an oval for 500 miles" option :)

If his concentration drops he'll be in the wall

FA#14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:40 pm 

I am no Indy expect but I believe there are a lot of tactics at play in oval racing. I know Mansell lost it at his first attempt due to a tactical error late on.

Alex Rossi did win it first time out, but he had oval experience. Pretty cool that the Indy 500 and Le Mans titles are currently held by current and former F1 guys.

I think the entire F1 community will unite to support Fernando at Indy which will be pretty cool. Except for the Fred haters of course :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:43 pm 

He will do well just to finish. He is quite capable of winning, but in a pub brawl I would back the bouncer over a champion boxer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm 

Fuel mileage plays a bigger part than I would like, I think sometimes we forget what the refuelling era was like. I hope he does a top 10 but I think just to finish would be great to see. I can't wait honestly to see this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:54 pm 

I said 10-20.
I hope it's higher, but unfortunately practicing on an oval at those speeds is not near the same as racing on an oval at those speeds.

I am assuming he has races on precious few ovals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:08 pm 

::This is not an anti-Alonso post::

Another thing to consider is how will Fernando be worked into the teams overall strategy from the start and whether or not he might get compromised as the race plays out to benefit another Andretti driver.

Oval racing often sees collaboration between drivers, sometimes from other teams even, to advance their way through the field. There's a possibility that this could be used to either his benefit or to his detriment which we won't know until the latter stages of the race.

Another thing that occurs to me that aside from how different oval racing is, is how the pits are set up. The pits in IndyCar is very different to F1 and I don't know how well that sort of chaos can be replicated in practice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:10 pm 

mcdo wrote:
rivf1 wrote:

I know Indy 500 is a mega event but I always felt it's so dull to race on oval tracks. Racing there after a few laps could already feel so monotonous.

Typical race tracks are more appealing to watch for me.

Anything is possible when Alonso races as results are unpredictable, especially when it comes to making conclusions from the outcome of 1 race. If Alonso were to be involved in an accident, people will conclude by saying that he needs to retire etc. Unless he makes mistakes for 4 or 5 races continuously, only then such a conclusion can be made.

Hopefully, the result of Indy 500 won't have a big impact on his decision towards F1 in 2018 & beyond.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:22 pm 

I think it's all or nothing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:40 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
mcdo wrote:
rivf1 wrote:

I know Indy 500 is a mega event but I always felt it's so dull to race on oval tracks. Racing there after a few laps could already feel so monotonous.

Typical race tracks are more appealing to watch for me.

Anything is possible when Alonso races as results are unpredictable, especially when it comes to making conclusions from the outcome of 1 race. If Alonso were to be involved in an accident, people will conclude by saying that he needs to retire etc. Unless he makes mistakes for 4 or 5 races continuously, only then such a conclusion can be made.

Hopefully, the result of Indy 500 won't have a big impact on his decision towards F1 in 2018 & beyond.

There's a difference between watching an oval race and driving in one.

Very rarely at Indy does a driver find himself/herself in a no man's land with no other cars around like can happen on a road course where your attention can wander. When you're driving in an oval race you have to always be looking for a car to draft off of while paying attention to who might be drafting off of you all while keeping it out of the wall at 200+mph.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:50 pm 

Oval racing is like Tequila, it takes an acquired taste to begin to appreciate it. As someone familiar with both road and oval racing, please trust me when I state that oval is much more difficult and challenging than many presuppose. Even practicing alone demands full concentration and commitment.

One major rule that anything can happen is amplified at Indy, the weirdest things can happen there. There have been scores of races when favorites have been denied and underdogs have come through. So anything is possible.

Alonso will have to go through a very comprehensive testing procedure to bring him up to speed. By Indy standards he is a rookie, and has to submit himself to the rookie process of basically proving he belongs out there. Compared to Formula One standards Alonso will have an insane amount of time to practice and prepare. By my basic math there are over 36 hours at Indy (over more than a week) just for practicing. So when you add in rookie trials and qualifying, that is a lot of time to prepare for just one track and race.

For strategies and making decisions no doubt Alonso will have some of the best looking over his shoulder and easing his decision-making process.

Is it easy to do a competitive lap at Indy? NO. Although the cars can run flat out under optimum conditions, winds, tire wear, and the aero loss from other cars makes each lap and exercise in lifting. And even with ideal conditions, a drive must exercise extreme precision to be able to negotiate this track. On paper the corners at each end of the track are similar, in practice they are definitely not. Turn one is as close as anyone can come to walking the tightrope. Get it right and you survive, get it wrong and at those speeds, you can't save the car, the wall is waiting. The walls are very patient.

And although not as complex as a Formula One car, these Indy cars are not simple. For example there is an adjustment for cross weight, which has to be adjusted to compensate for track condition, fuel burn, wind conditions, temperature, as well as tire wear. And that is something the people in the pits have no say about, it is up purely to driver feel.

How well will Alonso do? It really is a spin of the Roulette wheel.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:22 pm 

lamo wrote:
I am no Indy expect but I believe there are a lot of tactics at play in oval racing. I know Mansell lost it at his first attempt due to a tactical error late on.

Alex Rossi did win it first time out, but he had oval experience. Pretty cool that the Indy 500 and Le Mans titles are currently held by current and former F1 guys.

I think the entire F1 community will unite to support Fernando at Indy which will be pretty cool. Except for the Fred haters of course :lol:

Le Mans has been run again since Hulk's triumph!

FA#14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:22 pm 

If he finishes the race, that would be something.
Top 10 will be great result. Top 5 and it will be an incredible achievement for a driver who has never raced in the class of car.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:27 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
::This is not an anti-Alonso post::

Another thing to consider is how will Fernando be worked into the teams overall strategy from the start and whether or not he might get compromised as the race plays out to benefit another Andretti driver.

Oval racing often sees collaboration between drivers, sometimes from other teams even, to advance their way through the field. There's a possibility that this could be used to either his benefit or to his detriment which we won't know until the latter stages of the race.

Another thing that occurs to me that aside from how different oval racing is, is how the pits are set up. The pits in IndyCar is very different to F1 and I don't know how well that sort of chaos can be replicated in practice.

This is an excellent point we dont seem to be covering. He will be part of a 6 car team. I am not going down the road of "Fernando is faster than you, and you, and you", just "I need to pit", "OK you are 5th in line".

This could probably have a huge effect on his race result.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:30 pm 

He'd retire trying too hard to win IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:27 pm 

He has plenty of experience fuel saving so I say top 5.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:45 pm 

Barichello finished 12th when he ran there for the first time in 2012.

Alonso will be in a more competitive team, and this time he will be thankful for the Honda lump in the back, so I can't help but wonder if he could indeed win it.

It's not always about skill, of course. Michael Andretti has led more laps at Indy than Rick Mears. Mears has 4 wins. Andretti has 0.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:35 am 

I think he's good for a top 5, but who knows.

I believe Alonso will be on the pace by the time the race takes place, and I expect him to qualify well - probably top 10, although I'm not sure about more than that. During the race, he'll be in unfamiliar territory, but I believe in him as a highly instinctive and talented driver, and he probably knows at least as much about fuel and tyre saving as anyone in the field.

But oval racing is chaotic, and - in my opinion - winning is at least as much about luck as anything else. Top five is about merit; beyond that is about having things go your way.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:20 pm 

You can only guess based on things you know. Like him or not, Alonso is clearly one of the very best drivers in the world. He has experience not only with many different generations of open wheel racing cars but also handling the pressure of racing toe to toe with people like Schumacher, Hamilton, and Vettel. His racing resume stands well above anyone else's at the "Brickyard." He will also be racing for a very experienced, well prepared, and well funded team. Indy has a history or cruelty, misfortune, lost opportunity, and just plain bad luck (think Mario Andretti). However, if Piquet (Sr.), Fittipaldi, and Mansell can jump into Indy cars and be quick straight away, my money says that if Alonso is still running at lap 180, he will be fighting for the win.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:26 pm 

Must remember the track.

Leave pits, turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left, etc :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:36 pm 

DanF wrote:
... my money says that if Alonso is still running at lap 180, he will be fighting for the win.

Let's help you are right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:04 pm 

I dont doubt he will be quick, but I wonder just how much 'respect' he will get from the regulars when he starts making moves. It'd be a nice notch on the bedpost to beat a 2 time F1 World Champion. That said, his ability alone coupled with a competitive car would suggest that he will be there or thereabouts if there are no major dramas (a giant, giant if at Indy). Not sure it'd be the best advert for the championship if Alonso rocked up and spanked them all though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:40 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
I dont doubt he will be quick, but I wonder just how much 'respect' he will get from the regulars when he starts making moves. It'd be a nice notch on the bedpost to beat a 2 time F1 World Champion. That said, his ability alone coupled with a competitive car would suggest that he will be there or thereabouts if there are no major dramas (a giant, giant if at Indy). Not sure it'd be the best advert for the championship if Alonso rocked up and spanked them all though.

Maybe we should lay down some definitions before the results. As you stated (in bold) that if Alonso won it would be embarrassing to Indycar.

So if he does poorly, I must assume the obvious reverse, that Formula One would have egg all over it's face in complete embarrassment if one of their champions flopped.

OK, let's see how this plays out, and which party looks the fool.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:45 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Maybe we should lay down some definitions before the results. As you stated (in bold) that if Alonso won it would be embarrassing to Indycar.

So if he does poorly, I must assume the obvious reverse, that Formula One would have egg all over it's face in complete embarrassment if one of their champions flopped.

I don't think that's a fair comparison and you know it.

I agree it would look bad for F1 if an IndyCar driver jumped in and was immediately the class of the field.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:29 pm 

he will get absolutely no respect and the others drivers will know all the tricks and give him no respect , and he is brave to do it as I believe the us drivers push him ,but with his talent he will get the hang of it after turn 1 !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:52 pm 

I think he will be treated well, although perhaps that will fall short of being helped very much. He isn't a rookie and I don't feel they will perceive him to be one. The drivers are saying they are excited about this and that they look forward to racing alongside "one of the best in the world". I take them at their word.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:20 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

If he flops, he will have the very plausible excuse of being a complete newcomer to that series. If he wins, it doesn't exactly paint the series permanent incumbents in favourable light (lest of course, we subscribe to the ideal that Alonso really is that good, and that's not entirely implausible given what has come before). If he flops, he joins the thousands of others who have made that jump and failed before him (and most of those will have had far more prep for the race)

I think you can differentiate between the two, and I think you know full well that your particular little comparison there has more than the faint whiff of manure about it.

Quite why you've felt the need to go on the offensive here, i've no idea. The opposite would be true if Pagenaud/Power/ANOther floated into F1 next week and started winning right off the bat too. Were that to come to pass, I can only wonder precisely what views you would be espousing then.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:01 am 

I think, the most likely result, and what i ended up voting for is a DNF. There's a good chance that Alonso will crash or be taken out heavily. In this case BUT may have to finish out 2017 racing in F1 for McLaren.

That said, If ALO can make it work tho, and somehow manages to learn overnight, the racecraft and quirks of oval racing... He is in with an outside chance of the win. But that's one hell of a stretch... I don't see it happening..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:30 am 

I think it's easier to win the lottery than to answer this question. :lol:

DanF wrote:
You can only guess based on things you know. Like him or not, Alonso is clearly one of the very best drivers in the world. He has experience not only with many different generations of open wheel racing cars but also handling the pressure of racing toe to toe with people like Schumacher, Hamilton, and Vettel. His racing resume stands well above anyone else's at the "Brickyard." He will also be racing for a very experienced, well prepared, and well funded team. Indy has a history or cruelty, misfortune, lost opportunity, and just plain bad luck (think Mario Andretti). However, if Piquet (Sr.), Fittipaldi, and Mansell can jump into Indy cars and be quick straight away, my money says that if Alonso is still running at lap 180, he will be fighting for the win.

The funny thing is that Piquet was fast in 1993, the year following his 1992 accident. Biggest balls in the planet? :lol:

You forgot Senna in your list, who tested for Penske during McLaren's downturn and was very fast.

But it's as you said, the fundamentals are the same, and people mocking the race for the track's unimaginative layout should probably try to race online in iRacing. The nature of this track means a tiny mistake can prove (literally) fatal.

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:15 am 

Top 20. Most voters here are seriously underrating how challenging it is to drive Indy cars around Indy. With that said Fernando does have a quarter oval experience in the other direction at Indy :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:27 pm 

moby wrote:
Must remember the track.

Leave pits, turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left,turn left, turn left, etc :lol:

Turn 1 is pretty nasty, though. Entry speed of 235 mph. It's also a blind entry because of the pit wall. Drivers don't see the apex until they are in the turn.