Vandoorne 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Magnussen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grosjean 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wehrlein 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 76
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:39 pm 

Driver of The Weekend 2017 - Bahrain

Cast your vote for the 2017 Bahrain Grand Prix!

Rules & Format
Quote:
- Voting is based on driver performance (not who has the prettiest girlfriend/best haircut)
- Voting is based on performance of the whole race weekend, so qualifying counts towards your assessment.
- You only get one vote
- The poll will start on either on the day of the GP (or Monday if I am unable to for some reason)
- The poll will run until Friday so that it will always end before the next GP
- The top three voted for drivers will earn points towards a championship table as follows:
- 1st: 5 points
- 2nd: 3 points
- 3rd: 1 point
- Ties will be decided by finishing position

Standings after China
Code:
   |  Driver      | Points |
1  |  Vettel      |   8    |
2  |  Hamilton    |   6    |
3  |  Giovinazzi  |   3    |
4  |  Verstappen  |   1    |

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:54 pm 

Perez for me I think, Vettel and Hamilton were impressive all weekend long too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:56 pm 

Perez.

Got screwed by the Yellow flags in Q1. Even though there were faster cars in the midfield, he drove like an ace to finish in 7th.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:00 pm 

Gone for Perez. Didn't really take part in quali but no other stand out candidate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:07 pm 

Vettel and Perez a distant second.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:12 pm 

both Seb and Lewis were good but bottas is not at there level but still made a good account of himself, so the accolade go's to him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:18 pm 

chaz986 wrote:
both Seb and Lewis were good but bottas is not at there level but still made a good account of himself, so the accolade go's to him.

Bottas obviously compromised his race setup in order to set pole. His lack of pace on Sunday cost his team dearly. I can't vote for him. My vote went to Vettel but with honorable mention to Felipe Massa.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:18 pm 

Not going to lie I'm struggling to understand the votes for Bottas, I like him but he was equal with Hamilton in qualifying and outclassed in the race.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:24 pm 

Sergio for me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:43 pm 

I went with Bottas because his competition is formidable so is his team mate, quali good, race pace poor but he did nothing dumb or rash, that show's he got the sense of reserve that points got to those that finish, but and this is the time to make his moment he must turn the pace up over the next few race's he's making a good start in a top team not fumbling the ball but for sure he must run faster!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:48 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Not going to lie I'm struggling to understand the votes for Bottas, I like him but he was equal with Hamilton in qualifying and outclassed in the race.

Other than that he wasn't equal. He was quicker than Hamilton's fastest lap which didn't have any mistakes in. Bottas may have only been a little faster but it was enough to make him 1st now 2nd! so they were not equal. Then in the race, Bottas did have issues throughout with incorrect tyre pressures as well as over heating issues. Although I wouldn't vote for either Hamilton or Bottas, I'd actually say Bottas had a better weekend overall so I can understand why there are some votes. He beat Hamilton in qualifying, then in the race, Hamilton made a stupid mistake and got given 2 easy passes past Bottas. I'm actually pretty certain that if Bottas didn't have any issues, he'd have been ahead of Hamilton and pretty close to Vettel based on their qualifying performance. But the Mercedes team also messed both Hamilton's and Bottas's races up a little so Hamilton or Bottas may possibly have got a win.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:57 pm 

For me it was Vettel without a doubt. We need to remember the pressure these guys have to deal with racing at the top. Yet he maximized qualifying, passed Lewis on lap 1, undercut Bottas and left him in the dust. He really outdrove everyone this weekend imo. Also shoutouts for Wherlein, who was very impressive in his come back.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:59 pm 

It's absolutely staggering that Bottas has 3 votes to date.

Vettel wins for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:00 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Other than that he wasn't equal. He was quicker than Hamilton's fastest lap which didn't have any mistakes in. Bottas may have only been a little faster but it was enough to make him 1st now 2nd! so they were not equal. Then in the race, Bottas did have issues throughout with incorrect tyre pressures as well as over heating issues. Although I wouldn't vote for either Hamilton or Bottas, I'd actually say Bottas had a better weekend overall so I can understand why there are some votes. He beat Hamilton in qualifying, then in the race, Hamilton made a stupid mistake and got given 2 easy passes past Bottas. I'm actually pretty certain that if Bottas didn't have any issues, he'd have been ahead of Hamilton and pretty close to Vettel based on their qualifying performance. But the Mercedes team also messed both Hamilton's and Bottas's races up a little so Hamilton or Bottas may possibly have got a win.

Sorry but you are just way off. Hamiltons' second lap in Q3 was worst than his first, despite the track's obvious evolution. Bottas outqualified Hamilton because Lewis did not do a good enough second lap in Q3. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:08 pm 

kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Sorry but you are just way off. Hamiltons' second lap in Q3 was worst than his first, despite the track's obvious evolution. Bottas outqualified Hamilton because Lewis did not do a good enough second lap in Q3. Simple as that.

You are not contradicting the argument in any way.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:18 pm 

kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

How am I way off?? I am aware Hamilton't fastest lap was his first run in Q3. And it didn't have any mistakes in it. And Bottas was faster on his 2nd lap. So what you have highlighted and are complaining about is clearly true. I'm comparing Hamilton's fastest lap against Bottas's and Bottas clearly did a better job.

Bottas outqualified Hamilton because he beat Hamilton's best time. Not because Hamilton didn't improve in his 2nd lap. That didn't happen so it would be silly to base it off that.

Bottas beat Hamilton because he was faster and didn't make any mistakes!

Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:38 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

How am I way off?? I am aware Hamilton't fastest lap was his first run in Q3. And it didn't have any mistakes in it. And Bottas was faster on his 2nd lap. So what you have highlighted and are complaining about is clearly true. I'm comp[aring Hamilton's fastest lap agains't Hamilton's and Bottas clearly did a better job.

Bottas outqualified Hamilton because he beat Hamilton's best time. Not because Hamilton didn't improve in his 2nd lap. That didn't happen so it would be silly to base it off that.

There's more to it than that. Bottas went for more of a single lap setup which obviously compromised his race (and Lewis's for that matter). This is not Valteri's fault at all. Mercedes only have themselves to blame as they created a situation in which the slower driver held up the faster one throughout much of the race.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:52 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
kleefton wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

How am I way off?? I am aware Hamilton't fastest lap was his first run in Q3. And it didn't have any mistakes in it. And Bottas was faster on his 2nd lap. So what you have highlighted and are complaining about is clearly true. I'm comp[aring Hamilton's fastest lap agains't Hamilton's and Bottas clearly did a better job.

Why are you taking the track's evolution out of the equation? Most of the Q3 runners were able to improve significantly on their second flyer. And that is usually the case in Q3 as the track surface is more rubbered in. When Bottas set the lap that beat Hamilton's first flyer it wasn't on equal ground. So to me it doesn't prove that Bottas was theoratically faster than Hamilton. Just that Hamilton made a mess out of sector 2 on his final lap. And to be fair Botta's final lap wasn't perfect either as he lost a bit of time with oversteer out of the final corner.

He did a better job than Hamilton once it was all said and done, but that is not what I define as being faster overall. I think one poster said they were basically equal. I would tend to agree with that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:37 pm 

I was torn between Vettel, Massa and Wherlein, but voted Wherlein because he came first time to race after the injury, got 13th in qualy, drove with pain, and held back faster cars in finest display of his talent for 11th place.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:25 pm 

Weekend is harder to say than the day here, since I feel different drivers did the best on different days, but I'm going with Vettel for the best aggregate performance. There wasn't any point where he did poorly, and certainly the race performance was quite strong. I was considering some others, such as Wehrlein or Pérez, but I think the best argument is for Vettel. If Bottas had done better in the race I might have gone for him, but obviously that wasn't the case.

Group Pick'em: 1 win, 3 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 10th

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:13 pm 

I think after the performance that Vettel put in to take the lead and then build a gap for victory, driver of the day has to go to...

Max Verstappen.

(actually, I voted for Perez - he wouldn't have qualified so badly without the yellow flags)

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:08 am 

Massa for consistency across the weekend

- 2014 Championship 6th position (Fernando Alonso trophy)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:28 am 

Between Massa, Perez and Wherlein. Great first race back for Wherlein, Massa seeming punching above the Williams' weight, but I'm plumping for Perez. May well have qualified better (compromised through circumstance) but made the best of his race.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm 

purchville wrote:

Massa went a bit under the radar for me during the race but I agree, he was very strong all weekend, not bad for a retiree eh?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:18 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
purchville wrote:

Massa went a bit under the radar for me during the race but I agree, he was very strong all weekend, not bad for a retiree eh?

By himself he has Williams 5th in the WCC table but is only 7th in the WDC table. Doesn't seem quite fair.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
purchville wrote:

By himself he has Williams 5th in the WCC table but is only 7th in the WDC table. Doesn't seem quite fair.

That Williams is a good car. I actually think pace wise it's closer to the Red Bull than the rest of the midfled. They should really be unchallenged for 4th. Unfortunately they don't have the drivers to take full advantage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:11 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
purchville wrote:

That Williams is a good car. I actually think pace wise it's closer to the Red Bull than the rest of the midfled. They should really be unchallenged for 4th. Unfortunately they don't have the drivers to take full advantage.

If only the kid who brought the money could pick up some minor points they could push past FI for 4th. Although that probably could've happened in Bahrain if not for Sainz.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:09 pm 

I voted for Vettel as DOTD.
I have no idea how he gets DOTW.
Went with Perez.
Really good race after his compromised Qualy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:48 pm 

Laz_T800 wrote:
Went with Perez.

I'm a little confused with your reasoning, I voted Perez too but surely if Vettel was your pick for DOTD then it makes more sense for him to be DOTW since he outqualified his teammate by 3 tenths whereas Perez wasn't able to show his one lap pace? It wasn't his fault I know, but it still means we are unable to properly judge his qualifying performance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:38 pm 

I voted for Vettle, but felt like voting for Alonso - even with all the money he is making, honoring his contract and all, it still takes some mighty big testicles to swallow ones pride and climb into that fecal matter McLaren are passing off this year as a F1 car and then giving it his all knowing full well it'll would be a miracle just to make it to the checkered flag. Hope Andretti racing can brighten his year with a car that performs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:05 am 

F1nut wrote:
I voted for Vettle, but felt like voting for Alonso - even with all the money he is making, honoring his contract and all, it still takes some mighty big testicles to swallow ones pride and climb into that fecal matter McLaren are passing off this year as a F1 car and then giving it his all knowing full well it'll would be a miracle just to make it to the checkered flag. Hope Andretti racing can brighten his year with a car that performs.

Yeah I feel for Alonso. He had 5 years at Ferrari when they couldn't give him a top car, and now he is into his 3rd year at McLaren and they still can't give him something he can push with.

As for dotw, Vettel!
However he was unchallenged by Merc's lame strategy.
Red Bull split strategies quite a lot in 2016. Merc can't afford not to split strategies anymore especially if they want to beat Ferrari who will be favouring Vettel.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:37 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:
Went with Perez.

I'm a little confused with your reasoning, I voted Perez too but surely if Vettel was your pick for DOTD then it makes more sense for him to be DOTW since he outqualified his teammate by 3 tenths whereas Perez wasn't able to show his one lap pace? It wasn't his fault I know, but it still means we are unable to properly judge his qualifying performance.

I'm not able to use Kimi as any kind of barometer at the moment as he is seriously under performing especially in Q3.
As for Perez, he was also in my 3 picks for DOTD as I feel he had an excellent race. If I had to pick just one for DOTD I'd have gone with Perez.
I mentioned Vettel as being in the DOTD mix just to empathise the fact that it wasn't a personal dislike which had me scratching my head as to why he was DOTW.
IMHO i thought Vettel was sub par in qualy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:15 am 

The Hulk did a good job I felt. Qualified in a strong position and was able to bring the car home in a point scoring position. The first for Renault this season. His gap to Palmer is massive as well. So I think he is worthy of a shoutout.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:53 am 

Laz_T800 wrote:

How so? What are you going by to rate that lap as subpar? What errors did he make then?

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:06 am 

mds wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:

How so? What are you going by to rate that lap as subpar? What errors did he make then?

I'm a bit puzzled, too. He said he felt it was a really good lap and that's why he was demoralised with the large gap to Mercedes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 am 

Laz_T800 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:
Went with Perez.

I'm not able to use Kimi as any kind of barometer at the moment as he is seriously under performing especially in Q3.
As for Perez, he was also in my 3 picks for DOTD as I feel he had an excellent race. If I had to pick just one for DOTD I'd have gone with Perez.
I mentioned Vettel as being in the DOTD mix just to empathise the fact that it wasn't a personal dislike which had me scratching my head as to why he was DOTW.

Ah ok makes more sense now, I thought you meant that Vettel was your only pick for DOTD.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm 

mds wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:

I just don't believe the Ferrari is half a second slower than the Mercedes.
I think Bottas may have optimised his Q3 at the expense of race pace but Hamilton did not and Vettel didn't get anywhere near him.
Also the gap to Red Bull was greatly reduced on where it has been, which could be down to improved red bull performance, but I'm unsure?
A lap doesn't need to have obvious errors to have been not up to par.
He may have just not been at the limit on every corner, hit every braking point etc.
Anyone it's just my opinion, based on no more than where I believed the Ferrari was going to be in qualy and where it ended up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:00 pm 

Laz_T800 wrote:
mds wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:

I think Bottas may have optimised his Q3 at the expense of race pace but Hamilton did not and Vettel didn't get anywhere near him.
Also the gap to Red Bull was greatly reduced on where it has been, which could be down to improved red bull performance, but I'm unsure?
A lap doesn't need to have obvious errors to have been not up to par.
He may have just not been at the limit on every corner, hit every braking point etc.
Anyone it's just my opinion, based on no more than where I believed the Ferrari was going to be in qualy and where it ended up.

And that's your reasoning to question everyone else who may have voted for him... right.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:08 pm 

Laz_T800 wrote:
mds wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:

I don't see why that would be so strange. We've had far bigger gaps in these past few years.
Vettel is quite the perfectionist, he'll nitpick on every minor mistake he makes in quali, or will rue his own performance if he feels it wasn't up to standard. As an example of that: as little as one week ago a lot of people were arguing inhere about who made the difference between Hamilton or his car in China qualifying - and all they had on Vettel was one tidbit he himself uttered about "maybe" having dropped half a tenth in a corner.

So when Vettel says he pretty much drove the perfect lap and is 100% sure they had nowhere near what was needed, it's pretty safe to assume he's talking the truth.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is nothing substantial at all to think Vettel was sub par in quali.

Quote:

Who says Vettel didn't optimize race pace instead of quali pace (if that's really a thing, as I highly suspect this new mantra stems purely from Hamilton being beaten for pole).

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:56 pm 

mds wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:
mds wrote:
Laz_T800 wrote:

I don't see why that would be so strange. We've had far bigger gaps in these past few years.
Vettel is quite the perfectionist, he'll nitpick on every minor mistake he makes in quali, or will rue his own performance if he feels it wasn't up to standard. As an example of that: as little as one week ago a lot of people were arguing inhere about who made the difference between Hamilton or his car in China qualifying - and all they had on Vettel was one tidbit he himself uttered about "maybe" having dropped half a tenth in a corner.

So when Vettel says he pretty much drove the perfect lap and is 100% sure they had nowhere near what was needed, it's pretty safe to assume he's talking the truth.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is nothing substantial at all to think Vettel was sub par in quali.

Quote:

Who says Vettel didn't optimize race pace instead of quali pace (if that's really a thing, as I highly suspect this new mantra stems purely from Hamilton being beaten for pole).

I have nothing further to add.
If you believe this season is comparable to the last few i'm comfortable knowing exactly where you're coming from.