planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 3512
I haven't posted on this forum for months, but I don't think this mind busting headline news has been discussed.

Brace yourself for a forum meltdown on this one. Don't say I haven't warned you all. MODS, TAKE NOTE.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-austria-corner-number-changed-926843/

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 3999
Location: Michigan, USA
WHAT?! I'M OUTRAGED BY THIS! WHY DOES F1 NEED TO BOW TO MOTOGP ON THIS ISSUE?! THEY'RE THE ONES THAT SHOULD HAVE TO USE 9 CORNERS!!!

More seriously, that's not a corner. Calling it 10 is silly.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 5631
Location: Nebraska, USA
Hiya, AW! Good to see you're still around.

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 7689
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO OOOOOOO:( F1 IS NOT WORTH WATCHING NOW ANYMORE

_________________
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:40 pm
Posts: 6377
Oh no.. just not that one.. my worst nightmare.. CORNERS are WINNING!
The end is near.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 505
Location: UK
I'm pretty sure that the FIA have a detailed definition of a corner, but isn't a corner decided by the width of the track, so I'm going to say that a corner is anything that requires a deviation from a straight line to maintain driving within the track limits. Any one got access to the detailed road layout at Austria to check?

It's 10 for me as I like bikes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 6590
Location: Belgium
AW, if you break the news, be prepared to repair it or bear the cost!

Corners should be named, not numbered. But I wonder why MotoGP consider a kink a corner.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 505
Location: UK
Fiki wrote:
AW, if you break the news, be prepared to repair it or bear the cost!

Corners should be named, not numbered. But I wonder why MotoGP consider a kink a corner.


Because it's not a straight ! :uhoh:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10241
Option or Prime wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the FIA have a detailed definition of a corner, but isn't a corner decided by the width of the track, so I'm going to say that a corner is anything that requires a deviation from a straight line to maintain driving within the track limits.


I'm think I'm going with "anything you can't take at full throttle is a corner".

Although I didn't think this fully through so it's possible people throw examples at me to counter this stance :)

E.g. Curva Grande is not considered to be a corner when applying sporting regulations, as it's taken flat out.
But then again the Eau Rouge/Raidillon complex is seen as three corners whilst only Eau Rouge requires braking and the two following corners are taken flat out I thought? Or not anymore now?

_________________
Supporting all drivers with surnames starting with "V".

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7271
easy fix, tighten the curbs and make it a proper corner. There should be nowhere on any track that can be peddle to the floor except the straights.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 pm
Posts: 174
moby wrote:
easy fix, tighten the curbs and make it a proper corner. There should be nowhere on any track that can be peddle to the floor except the straights.

In your opinion...

All corners they get on the throttle before the straight truly starts, that's where the skill comes in.

If there is a radiused bit of track that can be taken full power but right on the limit it sorts the men from the boys and those with skill from those who won't manage it.

As for "adding a corner" I don't actually care, hasn't changed the track in how they'll drive it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:54 pm
Posts: 905
Thanks for using the BREAKING NEWS..... explains it when you said you haven't posted for a while.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 8007
More breaking news: Suffolk Ben changes user name.

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 6590
Location: Belgium
mds wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the FIA have a detailed definition of a corner, but isn't a corner decided by the width of the track, so I'm going to say that a corner is anything that requires a deviation from a straight line to maintain driving within the track limits.


I'm think I'm going with "anything you can't take at full throttle is a corner".

Although I didn't think this fully through so it's possible people throw examples at me to counter this stance :)

E.g. Curva Grande is not considered to be a corner when applying sporting regulations, as it's taken flat out.
But then again the Eau Rouge/Raidillon complex is seen as three corners whilst only Eau Rouge requires braking and the two following corners are taken flat out I thought? Or not anymore now?
I would say that the definition of being able to take it flat out is then limited by the level of downforce. There was a time when Blanchimont made some feather the throttle, while others took it flat. Eric Bernard had a massive crash there in a Ligier once.

Then again, the old station hairpin in Monaco is hardly downforce-dependent, yet it is a corner. So my definition remark is also open to criticism.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2428
Location: UK
It's just as well Vettel and Hamilton had their little tangle in Baku or this may well have been the most significant point of discussion on this forum for the past 2 weeks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 8654
Is the softer tyre compound going to be able to stand the increased number of corners???

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 1165
Location: Los Angeles, California
Maybe they should have done what Road America does with their kinks. For example, the kink after turn 2 is called "2A", and the kink after turn 11 is called "11A".

Maybe call Austria's kink "1A"?

_________________
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 806
Location: Far side of Koozebane
So can we confirm when a straight becomes a kink, when a kink becomes a curve and when a curve becomes a corner yet?
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
Maybe they should have done what Road America does with their kinks. For example, the kink after turn 2 is called "2A", and the kink after turn 11 is called "11A".
Maybe call Austria's kink "1A"?

Pity it's not Silverstone. Could have called it Ray Davies.

I'll um, I'll just grab my coat and show myself out thanks.

_________________
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way when you do judge him, you're a mile away, and you have his shoes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7271
Jezza13 wrote:
So can we confirm when a straight becomes a kink, when a kink becomes a curve and when a curve becomes a corner yet?
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
Maybe they should have done what Road America does with their kinks. For example, the kink after turn 2 is called "2A", and the kink after turn 11 is called "11A".
Maybe call Austria's kink "1A"?

Pity it's not Silverstone. Could have called it Ray Davies.

I'll um, I'll just grab my coat and show myself out thanks.


That was an over 50's joke. You have 80% of the readers wondering what you are on about. :D (as opposed to 99% when I do it)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4382
moby wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
So can we confirm when a straight becomes a kink, when a kink becomes a curve and when a curve becomes a corner yet?
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
Maybe they should have done what Road America does with their kinks. For example, the kink after turn 2 is called "2A", and the kink after turn 11 is called "11A".
Maybe call Austria's kink "1A"?

Pity it's not Silverstone. Could have called it Ray Davies.

I'll um, I'll just grab my coat and show myself out thanks.


That was an over 50's joke. You have 80% of the readers wondering what you are on about. :D (as opposed to 99% when I do it)

My son is 28 and would've gotten that joke. The again I raised him with an appreciation for a broad range of good music.
And he's also used to bad dad jokes.

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 3512
lamo wrote:
More breaking news: Suffolk Ben changes user name.


Blimey, that was about 10 years ago! :lol:

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 2941
Hold on, what about those of us who can't count that far? I just got a handle on 9...

_________________
AlienTurnedHuman wrote:
Eurytus probably thought he was God. At least until he was banned. Which means if he was God, it makes me very scared of PF1-Mod.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group