planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:18 pm 

The first in-season test will take place for the next 2 days (18th Apr - 19th Apr).

All teams are required to allocate at least two days of their in-season running to young drivers. A lot of teams will be trying updates / parts that they would like to evaluate before fitting them onto the car as early as Russia.

Schedule for the test:

Mercedes
Tuesday: Lewis Hamilton
Wednesday: Valtteri Bottas

Ferrari
Tuesday: Antonio Giovinazzi
Wednesday: Sebastian Vettel

Red Bull
Tuesday: Daniel Ricciardo
Wednesday: Pierre Gasly

Force India
Tuesday: Esteban Ocon (AM), Sergio Perez (PM)
Wednesday: Alfonso Celis Jr.

Williams
Tuesday: Lance Stroll (AM), Felipe Massa (PM)
Wednesday: Gary Paffett

McLaren
Tuesday: Oliver Turvey
Wednesday: Stoffel Vandoorne

Toro Rosso
Tuesday: Sean Gelael
Wednesday:Daniil Kyat (AM), Carlos Sainz (PM)

Haas
Tuesday: Romain Grosjean
Wednesday: Kevin Magnussen

Renault
Tuesday: Nico Hulkenberg
Wednesday: Sergey Sirotkin

Sauber
Tuesday: Marcus Ericsson
Wednesday: Pascal Wehrlein

P.S. - Ferrari is set to allocate one of its days in Bahrain to Pirelli tire running, helping to develop its 2018 compounds

Last edited by UnlikeUday on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:21 pm 

Maybe Alonso will take Wednesday for Renault while wearing a plain black helmet. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:22 pm 

I thought Button might do this test.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:23 pm 

Clarky wrote:

It's already been confirmed that Button won't get in the actual car until FP1 in Monaco.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Clarky wrote:

It's already been confirmed that Button won't get in the actual car until FP1 in Monaco.

Bonkers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 pm 

Sergej Sirotkin to test for Renault, I heard?

Top Three 2016: 14th. 2017: 3rd
Group Pick'em 2016: 3rd [4 wins]. 2017: 2nd [1 win]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:50 pm 

Clarky wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Clarky wrote:

Bonkers

Are they assuming he will not need to practice for the race? I mean, Van wasted his time this week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:17 pm 

moby wrote:
Clarky wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Clarky wrote:

Bonkers

Are they assuming he will not need to practice for the race? I mean, Van wasted his time this week.

The logic put forth in the article I read was that Button already has experience with high downforce cars so all they feel he needs to prepare is some simulator work to learn the systems and feel of this years car.

Doesn't make much sense to me but it's their team, their money, and their reputation so who am I to criticize?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:32 pm 

To be fair Button might as well do a few laps in a 1996 Honda Prelude to get a feel for the McLaren, its probably going to be about as quick and reliable as the F1 car...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:56 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
moby wrote:
Clarky wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Clarky wrote:

Bonkers

The logic put forth in the article I read was that Button already has experience with high downforce cars so all they feel he needs to prepare is some simulator work to learn the systems and feel of this years car.

Doesn't make much sense to me but it's their team, their money, and their reputation so who am I to criticize?

He actually has some experience of jogging around the Monaco track too if I recall correctly :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:12 pm 

Turvey, Paffett... Is this 2007? :)

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:37 pm 

mds wrote:
Turvey, Paffett... Is this 2007? :)

They have to test up-and-coming drivers somewhere :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:52 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
Maybe Alonso will take Wednesday for Renault while wearing a plain black helmet. :twisted:

They should be available to be borrowed from a certain "secret" test not all that long ago. Maybe they could just rent one from them cheaply.
;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:13 am 

The test can be followed via this link:

https://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/225070/follow-live-the-first-day-of-the-test-in-bahrain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:38 am 

chrismscotland wrote:
To be fair Button might as well do a few laps in a 1996 Honda Prelude to get a feel for the McLaren, its probably going to be about as quick and reliable as the F1 car...

lol that pretty much sums it up

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:30 am 

Engine change for Turvey

McLaren and Honda are changing the engine in Oliver Turvey's car after new reliability issues have hit them in Bahrain. A water leak in the Energy Recovery Systems is the cause for all the trouble this time.

The crisis at Honda is starting to affect McLaren shareholders. Read about it here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:55 pm 

I thought at least one driver had to be a rookie with no more than 2 races at most?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:36 pm 

Blake wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

They should be available to be borrowed from a certain "secret" test not all that long ago. Maybe they could just rent one from them cheaply.
;)

Well, Nico doesn't need his. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 pm 

button is pretty sure of a DNF so why practice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:39 pm 

slide wrote:

He could practice dnf's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:59 pm 

They might as well have had Kevin Turvey there today for all the running he did.

(For those of you who don't remember, cos you were not born, he is an old Rick Mayall character)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B6fZPRNGHg, not F1 related so no live link

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:35 am 

Always wondered this but never was sure the answer.

If an engine fails during testing does it count towards the year end total? If yes, lets say in the case of Ferrari that their engine fails while testing for Pirelli does that make a difference?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:27 am 

TheDamus wrote:

If an engine fails during testing does it count towards the year end total? If yes, lets say in the case of Ferrari that their engine fails while testing for Pirelli does that make a difference?

Well, if they are so stupid so as to take a race engine and it expires, then they will have to take a new one and it will count.

If they take a new unit and don't enter it in a FP2/FP3/Q/race then it will not count.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:03 am 

2nd day testing live commentary:

https://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/225105/follow-live-the-second-day-of-the-test-in-bahrain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 am 

TheDamus wrote:

No.

Pretty sure the teams don't even have to run cars that are legal in testing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:38 am 

GingerFurball wrote:
TheDamus wrote:

No.

Hate to toot my own horn here, but my answer was more correct and more complete. If they put an engine in that has already been used during either one of the FP2/FP3/Q/race sessions, it WILL count.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
slide wrote:

He could practice dnf's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brutal, but well deserved for Honda.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:56 am 

TheDamus wrote:

In case it's not completely clear from mds' post, they don't use anything from their annual racing allocation during testing, so things like gearboxes and PUs will all be from a different pot. So if anything blows it will make no difference to their racing units, except maybe in lost data

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:54 pm 

Zoue wrote:
TheDamus wrote:

In case it's not completely clear from mds' post, they don't use anything from their annual racing allocation during testing, so things like gearboxes and PUs will all be from a different pot. So if anything blows it will make no difference to their racing units, except maybe in lost data

How many engines do you think customers like Williams allocate for the year? 11 maybe? 4 per car, 1-2 for pre season and in season testing and 1 spare. Maybe even just 10 and then buy each additional component from Mercedes as if it fails.

Each additional unit is $1.5m I believe, this is why Williams only used 4 engines last year even though 5 were allowed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:30 pm 

Wow McLaren actually had a good day today

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:32 pm 

lamo wrote:
Zoue wrote:
TheDamus wrote:

How many engines do you think customers like Williams allocate for the year? 11 maybe? 4 per car, 1-2 for pre season and in season testing and 1 spare. Maybe even just 10 and then buy each additional component from Mercedes as if it fails.

Each additional unit is $1.5m I believe, this is why Williams only used 4 engines last year even though 5 were allowed.

OK, but they still don't use race units in testing?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:56 pm 

mcdo wrote:

Yep.

Seems they got through some good work with mapping to minimize vibrations and increase power according to Fabrega.

Trouble is those 4 failures in the MGU-H over the past few days and then today they ran trouble free despite using the same kind. They've said they have no idea why some are failing and others aren't which is just a nightmare.

They all passed the same tests before making it onto the car so not only can you not trust the parts but you can't trust the testing methods for any potential fixes for those parts.

Trying to put out all these little fires like bearings in the mgu-h and baffles in the oil tank is costing them so much testing time and attention in the factory it's hindering progress in other area's of the PU.

It must be infuriating.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:01 pm 

No team on the grid will run its race units in this test that is correct. I suspect Manor may have if they were here but that is about it. Does anybody know how many engines Manor used per car last year? I am thinking no more than 4 and maybe even 3?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:06 pm 

slide wrote:

Exactly. Stay at home and get in guaranteed multiple laps in the simulator or travel to Monaco, and risk not even getting out of the garage?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:09 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Yep.

Seems they got through some good work with mapping to minimize vibrations and increase power according to Fabrega.

Trouble is those 4 failures in the MGU-H over the past few days and then today they ran trouble free despite using the same kind. They've said they have no idea why some are failing and others aren't which is just a nightmare.

They all passed the same tests before making it onto the car so not only can you not trust the parts but you can't trust the testing methods for any potential fixes for those parts.

Trying to put out all these little fires like bearings in the mgu-h and baffles in the oil tank is costing them so much testing time and attention in the factory it's hindering progress in other area's of the PU.

It must be infuriating.

yes, confirmed here:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-can-t-explain-best-day-of-2017-895912/

It seems they had a really good day and have no idea why? How are they supposed to build on this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:02 am 

Zoue wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Yep.

It must be infuriating.

yes, confirmed here:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-can-t-explain-best-day-of-2017-895912/

It seems they had a really good day and have no idea why? How are they supposed to build on this?

For them F1 is a matter of chance?

I hope this is a sign of improved times (pun unintended)!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
slide wrote:

Exactly. Stay at home and get in guaranteed multiple laps in the simulator or travel to Monaco, and risk not even getting out of the garage?

Button is at home in Monaco.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:47 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
slide wrote:

Button is at home in Monaco.

Yeah. Who knows what the situation might be then.

Being optimist out here & hoping McLaren's issues get rectified from Spain onwards.