planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:01 am 

Renault engineer was impressed on all fronts.

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2300 ... ngary-test

So why wait until 2018 ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:36 pm 

mas wrote:
Renault engineer was impressed on all fronts.

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2300 ... ngary-test

So why wait until 2018 ?

I think the last sentence where he says that Robert had no problems with the wheel and it's switches (with minimal changes made) answers one of the biggest questions I would've had going into the test.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:53 pm 

mas wrote:
So why wait until 2018 ?

I think that is a good point. It would be harsh on Palmer but if you want to get a gauge of where Kubica is without committing long term or excluding the possibility of signing someone else for 2018 then dropping him into the seat after the summer break probably makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:12 am 

Would be perfect for Kubica to step in now and have the rest of the season to get up to speed for 2018. Renault would probably get more points in the WCC too, perhaps harsh on Palmer but that is F1.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:59 am 

would it really be harsh on palmer? Personally i dont think it would, he has had a season and a half to prove he is good enough and he just isnt. If anything he is lucky to have had this extra half a season to prove he can get the job done and unfortunately he cant. Better drivers than Palmer have been replaced mid season. Palmer has had more than a fair opportunity even taking into account his unfortunate reliability. The speed and consistency just clearly isnt there.

There is no way kubica in the car for the rest of the season is going to perform worse than Palmer, keeping Palmer in the car makes no sense. At best Palmer may score points in one or two races where as giving Kubica the rest of the season not only improves the chances of points this season, long run it means Kubica is up to speed next season increasing the chances of hitting the ground running next season. Therefore picking up potentially more points next season than just dropping him in next season cold after a couple of pre season tests.

keeping Palmer in the car really will hurt the team this season and moving forward and is a massive error in miss placed loyalty. This is F1, it is a ruthless business, points mean millions of dollars. Teams cant afford to have a driver under performing at the level Palmer is, he just isnt good enough.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:41 am 

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opini ... -or-kubica

His fastest lap was set with ‘P2 levels of fuel’ – ie around 25-30kg (compared to around 6kg for qualifying) – which suggests his time was actually on a par with that set in qualifying by Nico Hülkenberg, albeit on ultra-soft tyres reckoned 0.3sec faster than the super-softs used for the GP meeting. The best of his laps in the long runs actually bettered those set by either Hülkenberg or Jolyon Palmer during the race.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:57 pm 

wolfticket wrote:
mas wrote:
So why wait until 2018 ?

I think that is a good point. It would be harsh on Palmer but if you want to get a gauge of where Kubica is without committing long term or excluding the possibility of signing someone else for 2018 then dropping him into the seat after the summer break probably makes sense.

If you are on average 0.8 off your team mate in modern F1 and you are in your second year with a team then its not harsh to give him the chop. He is not worthy of the seat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:02 pm 

mas wrote:
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/williams-alonso-or-kubica

His fastest lap was set with ‘P2 levels of fuel’ – ie around 25-30kg (compared to around 6kg for qualifying) – which suggests his time was actually on a par with that set in qualifying by Nico Hülkenberg, albeit on ultra-soft tyres reckoned 0.3sec faster than the super-softs used for the GP meeting. The best of his laps in the long runs actually bettered those set by either Hülkenberg or Jolyon Palmer during the race.

Very interesting, apparently his long runs were inconsistent and that is why Renault did not sign him. For me that is easily solved. If he has the pace then he is good to come back.
It is suggested that his fitness levels are a bit low, that again can be easily solved in 2-3 months. I am sure he is coming from a very good fitness baseline.

Give this man 4-5 days pre-season testing and a couple of months to get his fitness up and he is going to come back very strong. He needs to get signed up for 2018, hopefully Williams now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:25 pm 

Renault could not loose by putting Kubica in for the rest of the season. Palmer is just not delivering, for what ever reason, and most people would say RK would gain at least as many points as him. If it turns out RK is not up to the job, well, they have given him the chance, and at worst lost a handful of points while not risking a full season when they are actually fighting for something.

Good PR and nothing to lose plenty to gain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 pm 

moby wrote:
Renault could not loose by putting Kubica in for the rest of the season. Palmer is just not delivering, for what ever reason, and most people would say RK would gain at least as many points as him. If it turns out RK is not up to the job, well, they have given him the chance, and at worst lost a handful of points while not risking a full season when they are actually fighting for something.

Good PR and nothing to lose plenty to gain

Indeed, Palmer has scored 1 point in 34 races :lol: His team mates over that period have scored a total of 41. Hulk with 34 this year - 6 points finishes and Kmag with 7 last year and 3 points finishes.

Hulk - Sainz
or
Hulk - Kubica

Either would be a great line up for Renault next year. Such an upgrade over Kmag and Palmer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:22 pm 

Well with Sainz almost certain to go to Renault, I think it is not looking good for Kubica's return :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:41 am 

paramex wrote:
Well with Sainz almost certain to go to Renault, I think it is not looking good for Kubica's return :(

I understood Kubica broke the contract with Renault, so if he's coming back it's with another team.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:25 am 

Just read that Nico Rosberg is going to be Kubica's manager. How crazy is that :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:15 am 

I know right, you'd think the roles would be reversed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:41 am 

Sarhan wrote:
Just read that Nico Rosberg is going to be Kubica's manager. How crazy is that :-)

Here's hoping he can get his old buddy Paddy Lowe on the phone and do a bit of convincing

FA#14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:38 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Sarhan wrote:

Here's hoping he can get his old buddy Paddy Lowe on the phone and do a bit of convincing

Yeah the Renault break up and and Nico news seem connected somehow. Nico has good connections to both Williams and Mercedes, so Williams in 2018 and possibly Mercedes in 2019 if all goes well (and they cant get Verstappen)?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)