planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 am 

tuki2 wrote:

I think "snatched from his bleeding grasp" is the cruellest part of that article, but that aside it's basically all speculation and self-confessed romance.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:13 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
tuki2 wrote:

I think "snatched from his bleeding grasp" is the cruellest part of that article, but that aside it's basically all speculation and self-confessed romance.

I don't even open links if the poster hasn't included at least a short synopsis of what I'm out to read... "Ugh" just doesn't do it for me.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:57 am 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubi ... st-933962/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:06 am 

Covalent wrote:
I don't even open links if the poster hasn't included at least a short synopsis of what I'm out to read... "Ugh" just doesn't do it for me.

<=>

owenmahamilton wrote:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-drive-renault-hungaroring-test-933962/

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:13 pm 

As per a certain banned website (from this forum), Kubica had posted faster times than Hulk & Palmer in the simulator. The target is that he should be able to post faster times than Palmer in Hungary. There's a very good chance we may see Kubica in Spa.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:50 pm 

wow what a track to make ya comeback on , go Robert and its just what F1 needs to wake the media up abit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:10 pm 

This is going to be worse than Schumi's return to F1.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:15 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
As per a certain banned website (from this forum), Kubica had posted faster times than Hulk & Palmer in the simulator. The target is that he should be able to post faster times than Palmer in Hungary. There's a very good chance we may see Kubica in Spa.

There is a reason its banned, its owner is so full of it that it's coming out of his ears.

The proof will be in the pudding, can't wait to see him in the next test.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:50 pm 

Seems that the "rumor" about Kubica possibly replacing Palmer at Spa is growing legs to some degree.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/renaults-s ... ca-at-spa/

And while Palmer hasn't set the world on fire by any means, I think it's highly unfair for them to continually say he's failed to score a single point this season.
His car has suffered so many failures it can be argued rather strongly that Renault has done a crap job at providing him a car that is appropriately reliable, and I'd agree on that. I wouldn't be surprised if articles pop up speculating sabotage just so Renault could move on from him and generate all this buzz across the world of F1 using Kubica's triumphant return to the top echelon series. Though not likely the case, it's possible many will argue that point.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:26 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Seems that the "rumor" about Kubica possibly replacing Palmer at Spa is growing legs to some degree.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/renaults-s ... ca-at-spa/

And while Palmer hasn't set the world on fire by any means, I think it's highly unfair for them to continually say he's failed to score a single point this season.
His car has suffered so many failures it can be argued rather strongly that Renault has done a crap job at providing him a car that is appropriately reliable, and I'd agree on that. I wouldn't be surprised if articles pop up speculating sabotage just so Renault could move on from him and generate all this buzz across the world of F1 using Kubica's triumphant return to the top echelon series. Though not likely the case, it's possible many will argue that point.

In fairness when they have provided him with a working car he hasn't been running in the points.

I did feel so sorry for him at Silverstone though. He seems like a decent bloke so I hope he gets a break this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:18 pm 

Nice bloke, promoted way out of his league on the back of his name and his father's cold hard cash. Can't blame him for this season though, the unreliability he has suffered would knock most people out of their stride.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:07 am 

if Palmer ends up scoring a 5th place in Hungary, what happens then? Too little too late?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:35 am 

Multi69 wrote:
if Palmer ends up scoring a 5th place in Hungary, what happens then? Too little too late?

That depends. Is it on merit, or due to fortunate circumstances?

It's a moot question, IMO - if he was capable of scoring a 100% legit, on-merit result like that, we wouldn't be having this discussion. With the sole exception of Austria, he's shown himself conclusively to be nowhere near Hulk's level. If he scores a 5th, Hulk will be on the podium or DNF'd.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:53 am 

AMuS reporting that Palmer has a watertight contact for this year.
Also that the FIA see no issue for granting him a super licence.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:30 am 

mds wrote:

Is the contract for being ' Driver 2 ' or just a driver for Renualt?
There could be nothing stopping Renault from promoting Kubica and demoting Palmer to test driver status.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:48 am 

jasonthebadger wrote:
mds wrote:

There could be nothing stopping Renault from promoting Kubica and demoting Palmer to test driver status.

I don't exactly know how much money (if any) Palmer is bringing, but if he has brought money then I think it's highly unlikely his contract wouldn't contain the stipulation that in return for the money brought, he gets a full-time racing seat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:08 am 

mds wrote:
jasonthebadger wrote:
mds wrote:

I don't exactly know how much money (if any) Palmer is bringing, but if he has brought money then I think it's highly unlikely his contract wouldn't contain the stipulation that in return for the money brought, he gets a full-time racing seat.

It all depends on what is more significant - the amount he's funding or the amount of money that Renault will lose out in the WCC because of him not scoring points?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:33 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
mds wrote:
jasonthebadger wrote:
mds wrote:

It all depends on what is more significant - the amount he's funding or the amount of money that Renault will lose out in the WCC because of him not scoring points?

What's most significant is what is in the contract ;)

Can't imagine his manager agreeing with the contract basically stating "well Jolyon, we'll take your money but if you suck then you can lose your seat at the summer break". Thought it's pretty custom to pay a seat for a year. But then yeah, everything is possible I guess so obviously I'm not talking with full knowledge of his contract.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:48 am 

mds wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
mds wrote:
jasonthebadger wrote:
mds wrote:

Can't imagine his manager agreeing with the contract basically stating "well Jolyon, we'll take your money but if you suck then you can lose your seat at the summer break". Thought it's pretty custom to pay a seat for a year. But then yeah, everything is possible I guess so obviously I'm not talking with full knowledge of his contract.

I doubt it would be the first time it has happened

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:51 am 

mcdo wrote:
mds wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
mds wrote:
jasonthebadger wrote:

No idea. Which driver who was well-known to bring a lump of money and didn't pay per race was replaced mid-season? We've had lots of drivers before who were replaced in-season but not always paying drivers and sometimes they just brought the budget on a race by race basis as the season came along and they got axed when the funding dried up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 pm 

Just to remind some of you good, old times:)

https://goo.gl/images/bxY481

Funny how much the author of this artice was wrong about a possible return. This is why all the Poles are so fanatically biased about this return. Sth against all odds. Do not neglect it - just let us be that way:)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:46 am 

Has the notion of Robert needing a Super Licence come up?

I understand there are very specific conditions required to get one

I heard one commentator mention a year in an appropriate series (F2?) would be required

Edit: oh, i see the FIA can vote to give him one

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:52 am 

jiminwatford wrote:
Has the notion of Robert needing a Super Licence come up?

I understand there are very specific conditions required to get one

I heard one commentator mention a year in an appropriate series (F2?) would be required

The FIA left themselves a loophole for approving cases like this without the required points - but then weakened the requirements still more after they introduced them by saying a driver could compete a certain number of racing distance to qualify (I believe he already has met this). There'll be no issue with a super license.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:01 am 

Cyril Abiteboul has said Kubica won't replace Palmer for the remainder of '17 season:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/356311/

Still not buying this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:29 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Cyril Abiteboul has said Kubica won't replace Palmer for the remainder of '17 season:

Still not buying this.

Still makes the most sense, given that:
- Palmer probably paid for a racing seat for a full year and his contract would confirm that
- Dropping a driver that hasn't raced single seaters for 6.5 seasons into an F1 seat over the summer break after just 1 day in current machinery would not be a terribly smart thing to do, especially when they've taken their time up until now to gradually build things up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:36 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Still not buying this.

I was supprised by this part - Clearly we are looking at options for 2018, and Jo could be an option for 2018 – that is in his hands.

There must be more to his poor performance than we know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:45 am 

mds wrote:
mcdo wrote:
mds wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
mds wrote:

No idea. Which driver who was well-known to bring a lump of money and didn't pay per race was replaced mid-season? We've had lots of drivers before who were replaced in-season but not always paying drivers and sometimes they just brought the budget on a race by race basis as the season came along and they got axed when the funding dried up.

I don't have a name off the top of my head. I'm sure I recall drivers bringing teams to court over contracts over the years. Maybe I'm so used to dodgy deals in F1 that I only imagine it to be true

FA#14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:43 am 

You only have to go back a couple of years to the Sauber fiasco. While that wasn't a mid-season replacement it did boot a driver with a paid up seat out of the car.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:53 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
You only have to go back a couple of years to the Sauber fiasco. While that wasn't a mid-season replacement it did boot a driver with a paid up seat out of the car.

Yeah, but that was an anomaly, a highly erratic situation. I'm sure at Renault there are no anomalies in play and Palmer is one of only two drivers with a normal contract for a race seat for this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:03 pm 

mds wrote:
Covalent wrote:

<=>

owenmahamilton wrote:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-drive-renault-hungaroring-test-933962/

:lol:

Well I actually preferred Ugh :lol:

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:01 pm 

Has Kubica got some kind of contractual obligation to Renault? I wonder why he's not bein linked to Massa's seat for example if Felipe is still ill, or why he's not being talked about for any of the other seats opening up next season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:32 pm 

Hey guys, with the result that Kubica is around 2 sec off the pace, it does not look very encouraging, does it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:02 pm 

paramex wrote:
Hey guys, with the result that Kubica is around 2 sec off the pace, it does not look very encouraging, does it?

I don't think you can read much into the times, tbh. He was faster than Russel in the Mercedes, which is promising, but there again the second quickest of all was Norris in a McLaren. He was faster than Kimi! I don't think headline times are what they are looking at

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:23 pm 

I don't believe its down to palmer now -its too late and his seat next year will depend more on what kubica can do and if not then maybe Alonso
kubica will be given time to acclimatise to this years car , and its in the teams interest to give him a good go , as the funding possibilities to have kubica in the car next year could be huge its easy to sell a fairytale and it could also have movie possibilities if its successful and we all want to see Robert in F1 next year anyway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:06 pm 

optimisteprime wrote:
Has Kubica got some kind of contractual obligation to Renault? I wonder why he's not bein linked to Massa's seat for example if Felipe is still ill, or why he's not being talked about for any of the other seats opening up next season.

PDR is Williams reserve driver and a much safer bet. Next season who knows but he wont Kubica wont be there in Spa.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:15 pm 

mds wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
mds wrote:
jasonthebadger wrote:
mds wrote:

Renault can but him out of his contract.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:04 pm 

I just watched this and I got pretty emotional. Still feeling it actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ex89L--OZU

In the 40 years I've been watching F1, this is genuinely one of the greatest moments in F1 for me.
4th quickest in Testing after 6 years out of the sport. Hamilton is right in pointing out that Robert is a truly special and gifted driver.
I remember reading he regards him as the best he's ever competed against.

Imagining an entire race day crowd chanting KUBICA! KUBICA! KUBICA! so loudly it dwarfs all other sounds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:33 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
I just watched this and I got pretty emotional. Still feeling it actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ex89L--OZU

In the 40 years I've been watching F1, this is genuinely one of the greatest moments in F1 for me.
4th quickest in Testing after 6 years out of the sport. Hamilton is right in pointing out that Robert is a truly special and gifted driver.
I remember reading he regards him as the best he's ever competed against.

Imagining an entire race day crowd chanting KUBICA! KUBICA! KUBICA! so loudly it dwarfs all other sounds.

You can see how much his right arm is withered, Kubica is very straight forward and honest about his level of performance, it would be a fairy tale if he did make it back into F1.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:27 am 

Obviously it's hard to make comparisons due to track evolution, weather etc but there was some decent signs in my opinion.
Firstly the long runs looked reasonable relative to how Renault performed on the weekend. Secondly his best time was 1.4 seconds off Vettel. Comparing with qualifying on Saturday, Hulkenberg was 1.2 off and Palmer was approx 1.6 off. Given this was his first day in 2017 car that is very good but wasn't a 'wow' moment that made the paddock take notice. Still I don't think it did his chances any harm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:43 am 

The guy is gifted, there is no doubt. His performance was excellent, I still can't believe how close this was. Well done Robert, it would be a pleasure to have him back