planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Indy 500 2017
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:46 pm 

Part of me really wants McLaren to paint the MCL32 like the Indycar one, but the other part doesn't want that beautiful livery on that dissaster of a car (Engine).

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:46 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
rivf1 wrote:
Don't mean any offence to anyone that is really into their indy cars but man those things are ugly.

I don't know that anybody finds them beautiful, but they're strictly function over form.

The basic car grows on you but some of the crazy aero bits they put on for road/street circuits are f'ing ridiculous but I think those are going away next year.

It is all in the eye of the beholder. Some desensitizing helps too. IMO both Indycar and Formula One cars are an affront to aesthetics, ugly as sin. But they are designed to go fast, not please the eye.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:55 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
rivf1 wrote:
Don't mean any offence to anyone that is really into their indy cars but man those things are ugly.

I don't know that anybody finds them beautiful, but they're strictly function over form.

The basic car grows on you but some of the crazy aero bits they put on for road/street circuits are f'ing ridiculous but I think those are going away next year.

It is all in the eye of the beholder. Some desensitizing helps too. IMO both Indycar and Formula One cars are an affront to aesthetics, ugly as sin. But they are designed to go fast, not please the eye.

Amen to that! Neither of them are beautiful from an aesthetics standpoint. Also, I will be in the minority here and say that I prefer the looks of the INDY car especially without the F1 like aero kits hung on it.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:32 pm 

Blake wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Amen to that! Neither of them are beautiful from an aesthetics standpoint. Also, I will be in the minority here and say that I prefer the looks of the INDY car especially without the F1 like aero kits hung on it.

I'm one of those weird people who actually think the current Indycars are good looking, and current F1 cars (bar the T-wing) are the best looking we've had since 2007/2008.

It is, indeed, all in the eye of the beholder.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:58 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Blake wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I'm one of those weird people who actually think the current Indycars are good looking, and current F1 cars (bar the T-wing) are the best looking we've had since 2007/2008.

I am not too partial to the current Indycar look, but they are ok. F1 cars do look great right now, sans the shark fin. The proportions of wings, tires, wheelbase... it all looks right.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:18 pm 

I HATE the looks of the current indycar, its like half open wheel car half non-open wheel. I LOVED the looks of the Reynards in the late 90s in CART. If you look at those cars and the Senna McLaren MP4/4, they really have a similar look, with the CART car being slightly larger-longer.

F1 cars look much better than they have for several years, but still aren't as good as they use to be.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:05 am 

Exediron wrote:
Blake wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I think the current indycar is a touch primitive looking at the front end but from there backwards it looks reminiscent of some of the nicer F1 future concepts that have been produced in the last few years.
Also the wider, flatter aspect of the 2017 F1 cars really makes them for me. They look faster and meaner than they have for sometime.

I share a disdain for the T-Wing too.
Considering (I believe) all teams have shown they can run fine without it goodness knows why they didn't ban the T-Wing on safety grounds the instant it fell of a couple of times on track. It just looks so bolted on compared with the rest of the car. It reminds me of some of the creative "Monaco wings" from back in the day, most of which I recall were banned pretty quickly. I reckon at least one team must be lobbying really hard to keep them.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:56 am 

Still sticking to the aesthetic and visual differences between Formula One and Indycar, just google "future Formula One cars" or just look at today's current Formula E cars (sans the nose with all the visual distractions). IMO the look of the DW12 (the Indycar chassis) is the wave of the future. Sure, that bulky looking rear end reminds me of a lawn dart, but it's put in place for a very good reason, safety. Eventually all open wheelers will have that bulky rear end.

All I can suggest is that you make a note on how you feel about today's cars and re-examine them in ten years.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:25 am 

nixxxon wrote:
Good debut for Alonso!! Also killing 2 birds and dodging a 3rd one lol

mcdo wrote:
He hit every target in minimal time. The more knowledgeable IndyCar fans online have been impressed. They were saying that getting into 220mph+ would be a great day's work for someone who has never been in an oval before. He managed 222mph

By the end of the day he still looked pretty conservative to me - still keeping well away from the walls. He said the track was narrower than he expected and said it's hard to imagine they run 3-wide. Getting closer to that wall is how 3 cars will fit!

He's definitely got more pace in the bag

Adapting quickly to any 4 wheeled machine has always been one of Alonso's strenghts. He just has a natural instinct and inmense natural talent.
You guys remember in Silverstone 2011 when he drove the 1950's Ferrari and in the 2nd lap he was already oversteering/drifting it on corners?

I think the birds were the ones identified as the same birds that survived the Champ Car race in 2006 at Toronto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXn6ELA0PsE

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:34 pm 

Placid wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
mcdo wrote:
He hit every target in minimal time. The more knowledgeable IndyCar fans online have been impressed. They were saying that getting into 220mph+ would be a great day's work for someone who has never been in an oval before. He managed 222mph

By the end of the day he still looked pretty conservative to me - still keeping well away from the walls. He said the track was narrower than he expected and said it's hard to imagine they run 3-wide. Getting closer to that wall is how 3 cars will fit!

Adapting quickly to any 4 wheeled machine has always been one of Alonso's strenghts. He just has a natural instinct and inmense natural talent.
You guys remember in Silverstone 2011 when he drove the 1950's Ferrari and in the 2nd lap he was already oversteering/drifting it on corners?
I think the birds were the ones identified as the same birds that survived the Champ Car race in 2006 at Toronto.

It would appear that birds have fewer lives than cats.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:56 am 

Apparently 2 million people watched Alonso's rookie test. That's a crazy number for a test. I know it's easier in the days of streaming and worldwide audiences, but I'd struggle to think of a precedent where this many people would have watched a test run.

Maybe Sky should learn from that and take some cameras along to F1 pre-season testing next year. They need to add value to their F1 channel instead of the endless repeats of interviews which are good, but only really worth watching once.

IndyCar organisers must be rubbing their hands at the increased audiences for the race this year.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:12 pm 

Placid wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

mcdo wrote:

And in Montreal last year.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:40 pm 

Anyone watching the coverage on Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuS6mwx6nUc

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:54 pm 

owenmahamilton wrote:

In the comments someone posted "Indy Light engine, Indy Light engine!" :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:56 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

In the comments someone posted "Indy Light engine, Indy Light engine!" :lol:

I have turned the comments off as it seems to be full of people writing in a foreign language or people who don't have a clue what is going on, that's quite a funny comment though.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:30 pm 

Fernando was just out for a few laps. Looked good... Solid.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:34 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
Fernando was just out for a few laps. Looked good... Solid.

As I write this he is currently fastest according to the live timing here:

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:38 pm 

This is something I wish to point out. Contrary to Formula One, Indycar is open and accessable. Indycar streams via YouTube everything.

EVERYTHING !!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy1F61QvUUQXAXi2Voa_fUw

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:04 pm 

The entire 6 hours of qualifying freely available on Youtube. Imagine that in F1.

Alonso's press conference is at 6:14:00

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:32 pm 

Anyone do any extensive research regarding how good Alonso's times are? Looks like he was quickest amoungst rookies (who cares? I'd expect that) and "refresh" drivers. #2 was Oriol Servia, who I remember was in Indycar and a solid driver, but I have no idea how well he usually does at Indy and what team he is with. Just hoping that he really is doing well!!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:40 pm 

rodH wrote:
Anyone do any extensive research regarding how good Alonso's times are? Looks like he was quickest amoungst rookies (who cares? I'd expect that) and "refresh" drivers. #2 was Oriol Servia, who I remember was in Indycar and a solid driver, but I have no idea how well he usually does at Indy and what team he is with. Just hoping that he really is doing well!!

He's currently 16th as I type this, he just seems to be taking it relatively easy, working out how to run safely in traffic, he had a problem with the suspension at the end of yesterdays running so couldn't do as much as he wanted to do.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:20 am 

I would be guessing here that Alonso would be running a safe set up in traffic as in more rear wing so slower on the straights to bed him in, for actual experts on the subject correct me if I may be wrong.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 17th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Still sticking to the aesthetic and visual differences between Formula One and Indycar, just google "future Formula One cars" or just look at today's current Formula E cars (sans the nose with all the visual distractions). IMO the look of the DW12 (the Indycar chassis) is the wave of the future. Sure, that bulky looking rear end reminds me of a lawn dart, but it's put in place for a very good reason, safety. Eventually all open wheelers will have that bulky rear end.

All I can suggest is that you make a note on how you feel about today's cars and re-examine them in ten years.

I google "future F1 car" like once a month lol. You definitely see some great digital artwork when you do that.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:55 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I google "future F1 car" like once a month lol. You definitely see some great digital artwork when you do that.

Yep, it even has some trap doors that open when air hit them from back, so if they spin at 200mph the car will not go airborne.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:09 am 

I wonder why NASCAR never thought of that "trap door"....

;)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:34 am 

Blake wrote:

;)

:lol: Wondering now from where Indy Cars got the idea!!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:52 am 

Blake wrote:

;)

In the old days NASCAR had a trap door in the floor so the driver could see how his tires were wearing.
(I'm sure you already knew that Blake but yours seemed the the right post to attach that bit of trivia to)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:32 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Then IndyCar is taking a step backwards in 2018, because next year's design is a lot less chunky at the back.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/03- ... ign-update

http://digbza2f4g9qo.cloudfront.net/~/m ... rlay-HIRES

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:39 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Blake wrote:

;)

In the old days NASCAR had a trap door in the floor so the driver could see how his tires were wearing.
(I'm sure you already knew that Blake but yours seemed the the right post to attach that bit of trivia to)

I didn't know that. That's cool!

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:20 pm 

mcdo wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Blake wrote:

;)

I didn't know that. That's cool!

I first heard about it in an interview with Richard Petty back in the 70's but was recently reminded of it when reading this... um... interesting story from NASCAR's past.
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/that-time-a-monkey-went-apeshit-on-a-nascar-drivers-fac-1795135034

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:29 pm 

I thought the F1 site was bad.... can anyone find any of the laptimes? for both practice sessions?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:34 pm 

Here you go:

http://www.indycar.com/Stats

If you click where it says Practice 2 you will be able to select the Rookie Orientation Programme and Practice 1.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:50 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:21 pm 

How is Fernando's pace and progression so far? Given his level of experience?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:21 pm 

Alex53 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Then IndyCar is taking a step backwards in 2018, because next year's design is a lot less chunky at the back.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/03- ... ign-update

http://digbza2f4g9qo.cloudfront.net/~/m ... rlay-HIRES

I'd take ugly any day of the week over a race car designed like this:
http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/03-29-New-car-design-update wrote:
"We’ve been working on the aerodynamics to suit the look, rather than the other way around"

:uhoh:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:26 am 

Solid day of testing for Alonso today, finishing 4th fastest and right there with his Andretti teammates:

1. Howard, Jay - 00:39.6924 (226.744 mph)
2. Hunter-Reay, Ryan - 00:39.8537 (225.826 mph)
3. Andretti, Marco - 00:39.8743 (225.709 mph)
4. Alonso, Fernando (R) - 00:39.8902 (225.619 mph)
5. Newgarden, Josef - 00:39.9193 (225.455 mph)

http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/doc ... ce%204.pdf

Obviously it's still testing, but they're starting to run at something closer to the actual trim. I'm sure he's enjoying having a car that can do ~100 laps every day without breaking down! :D

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:24 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Solid day of testing for Alonso today, finishing 4th fastest and right there with his Andretti teammates:

1. Howard, Jay - 00:39.6924 (226.744 mph)
2. Hunter-Reay, Ryan - 00:39.8537 (225.826 mph)
3. Andretti, Marco - 00:39.8743 (225.709 mph)
4. Alonso, Fernando (R) - 00:39.8902 (225.619 mph)
5. Newgarden, Josef - 00:39.9193 (225.455 mph)

http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/doc ... ce%204.pdf

Obviously it's still testing, but they're starting to run at something closer to the actual trim. I'm sure he's enjoying having a car that can do ~100 laps every day without breaking down! :D

Alonso can clearly go fast. How he handles the insane amount of traffic will be the determining factor in this race.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:16 pm 

Indianapolis native and 500 fanatic here. Fernando has been progressively building speed this week and listening to his solidly experienced teammates. He's been soaking up knowledge from Mario Andretti too, which is never a bad thing. Pay attention today - it's fast Friday. They'll lay the wings down to remove all the downforce and up the boost on the engines. Speeds should be up around 230 mph lap averages with top speeds near 240 mph in the long straights.

Fred has a real shot at this one. His challenge will be to qualify in the first three rows or so to avoid any first lap stupidity. Get beyond the start and I think he's a contender to win.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:31 pm 

Couple of questions for anyone who knows.....

Is the offical Indy stream regionally protected or can you watch anywhere in the world?

And why do (mainly) America motoesports always use the average speed as a common stat? I've seen it in Indy, NASCAR and drag (possibly ALMS too, bit can't be sure). It's rarely seen outside of US motorsports (I've seen it in IOM TT) and I personally really don't see the point in it, speeds on specific sections of the track such as long straights or speed round certain corners is an interesting stat for me to see how they're putting the times in, but we know how long a lap is and know how fast they fo round, so it's really not that hard to work out a lap average anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:08 pm 

minchy wrote:
Couple of questions for anyone who knows.....

Is the offical Indy stream regionally protected or can you watch anywhere in the world?

And why do (mainly) America motoesports always use the average speed as a common stat? I've seen it in Indy, NASCAR and drag (possibly ALMS too, bit can't be sure). It's rarely seen outside of US motorsports (I've seen it in IOM TT) and I personally really don't see the point in it, speeds on specific sections of the track such as long straights or speed round certain corners is an interesting stat for me to see how they're putting the times in, but we know how long a lap is and know how fast they fo round, so it's really not that hard to work out a lap average anyway.

I suppose we seek what we are used to. I have also sought lap times these Indy tests and while you can find them on some sites beside the average speed, most seem to list only the average speed.