F1 drivers are the very best in the world. 21%  21%  [ 15 ]
F1 drivers are the very best open wheel drivers. 31%  31%  [ 22 ]
F1 drivers are the very best road racers. 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
F1 drivers are good, but not always the best. 30%  30%  [ 21 ]
F1 drivers are overrated. 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 70
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:42 am 

Badgeronimous wrote:
A 6'4", 90kg man.... of terrific talent.... probably wouldn't make it in F1.

To be winning in the top levels of Karts, you need to be of slight build, so it makes the path to F1 harder for anyone bigger than average. Add on the fact you need significant backing and a family that drive you to motorsport from a very young age..... the talent pool is relatively small.

There are so many different disciplines in motorsport. F1 drivers are probably the best open wheel racers in the world, but its like comparing rugby league, with rugby union, with Aussie Rules, with NFL with Hurling, etc....

I agree, I said a similar thing earlier in the post. Shane Van Gisbergen is the prime example

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:43 pm 

Chunky wrote:
Glorified go-cart jockeys.

The best drivers are undoubtedly in rallying. The car control is incredible, the road surface is constantly varying and unpredictable, plus they don't get to hone it to perfection from lap to lap. If they push a bit too hard it's not a trip to the run-off and come back on track, it's curtains.

Sadly, they were better in the days before cars got dumbed down and filled with fancy tech. If anyone doubts how good the rough stuff boys are look at the video of Ari Vatenen doing Pike's Peak. Awesome.

Sorry but this is heavily flawed.

Rally drivers do indeed have to contend with more than any other drivers in any series that I can think of… HOWEVER…

while they may be superb in their discipline, having to maximize speed across several types of surfaces with constant and extreme undulation, being able to maximize performance on a smooth solid surface is a completely different animal and most rally drivers would struggle to find and even push to the limit. They are simply too used to driving with the accelerator more than anything and they're also extremely accustomed to All-Wheel drive which is completely alien to F1 cars.

Only a select special few would be able to do well in F1. Loeb is one who is a special talent it seems and had he been given the chance to drive in F1 he would have likely shined.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:26 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Chunky wrote:
Glorified go-cart jockeys.

The best drivers are undoubtedly in rallying. The car control is incredible, the road surface is constantly varying and unpredictable, plus they don't get to hone it to perfection from lap to lap. If they push a bit too hard it's not a trip to the run-off and come back on track, it's curtains.

Sadly, they were better in the days before cars got dumbed down and filled with fancy tech. If anyone doubts how good the rough stuff boys are look at the video of Ari Vatenen doing Pike's Peak. Awesome.

Sorry but this is heavily flawed.

Rally drivers do indeed have to contend with more than any other drivers in any series that I can think of… HOWEVER…

while they may be superb in their discipline, having to maximize speed across several types of surfaces with constant and extreme undulation, being able to maximize performance on a smooth solid surface is a completely different animal and most rally drivers would struggle to find and even push to the limit. They are simply too used to driving with the accelerator more than anything and they're also extremely accustomed to All-Wheel drive which is completely alien to F1 cars.

Only a select special few would be able to do well in F1. Loeb is one who is a special talent it seems and had he been given the chance to drive in F1 he would have likely shined.

There are a few drivers that did well in F1 tests. Loeb was 8th overall in a test he did back in the late 00's. Valentino Rossi was even more impressive, his time being within 0.5sec from one Michael Schumacher, being faster than the likes of Webber, DC, Trulli in his test. McRae also did times within a couple of seconds of the F1 drivers when he tested. Hell, even Tom Cruise had a go and he was actually fast!

The thing is if they could do it in a whole race, in a whole race weekend, over a whole year. That's a different animal altogether. The consistency needed is probably the biggest factor for me

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:36 pm 

I think it's clear F1 drivers AREN'T the best - the rally drivers are more skilled - the current F1 drivers can point and shoot but don't need to 'drive' the car other than the odd save - although at least they're not told what to correct as they were a couple of years ago.

It's not like the drivers do various forms of motorsport (like they did in the 50s / 60s) - and many underwhelm or hardly set the world on fire in other formulae - even if they are competitive

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:58 am 

In what I consider the 'Golden Age' of F1 - 60's-70's and early 80's - there wasn't enough money in any racing series to prevent drivers from crossing over and participating in other racing series. Jim Clark, Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart running at Indy. Stewart running in the Can-Am championship. Mario Andretti racing in virtually any series that had a motor on either side of the pond (Indy Cars, NASCAR, Sports Cars, F1, Sprint Cars and on and on). Today's drivers are so bound up by the money of their restrictive contracts that they can only participate in their specialty - so we have no REAL IDEA of how their skills translate to other forms of racing.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:29 am 

mmi16 wrote:
In what I consider the 'Golden Age' of F1 - 60's-70's and early 80's - there wasn't enough money in any racing series to prevent drivers from crossing over and participating in other racing series. Jim Clark, Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart running at Indy. Stewart running in the Can-Am championship. Mario Andretti racing in virtually any series that had a motor on either side of the pond (Indy Cars, NASCAR, Sports Cars, F1, Sprint Cars and on and on). Today's drivers are so bound up by the money of their restrictive contracts that they can only participate in their specialty - so we have no REAL IDEA of how their skills translate to other forms of racing.

Well, we have a good idea how one F1 driver compared in a very different discipline last weekend...

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:09 am 

Exediron wrote:
mmi16 wrote:

Well, we have a good idea how one F1 driver compared in a very different discipline last weekend...

Yep - he done blowed up!

To finish First, first you must finish.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:17 am 

mmi16 wrote:
Yep - he done blowed up!

What could he have done differently, if I might ask? That quote is about not taking yourself out making stupid moves for the lead, not somehow magically holding your engine together when it decides to let go.

That aside, what I'm saying is that we do in fact have a real idea of how Alonso's skills translated to a very different form of racing, and the answer was quite well.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:26 am 

Exediron wrote:
mmi16 wrote:
Yep - he done blowed up!

What could he have done differently, if I might ask? That quote is about not taking yourself out making stupid moves for the lead, not somehow magically holding your engine together when it decides to let go.

That aside, what I'm saying is that we do in fact have a real idea of how Alonso's skills translated to a very different form of racing, and the answer was quite well.

I don't know what he could have done to make his Honda live the distance, Sato figured how to make his live and won.

Fernando did a admirable job in coming to grips with Indy and I look forward to watching him there in the future.

Fernando wants to do LeMans and I look forward to his efforts.

Personally I would find it a hoot, if he wanted to do the Daytona 500 or some other NASCAR race.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:32 am 

mmi16 wrote:
I don't know what he could have done to make his Honda live the distance, Sato figured how to make his live and won.

Are you sure it wasn't just dumb luck? Unless Hunter-Reay had even less clue how to keep his engine alive than the rookie Alonso did, that is...

mmi16 wrote:
Fernando did a admirable job in coming to grips with Indy and I look forward to watching him there in the future.

Personally I would find it a hoot, if he wanted to do the Daytona 500 or some other NASCAR race.

Fair enough. I took you for a hater, hating as haters will hate, but I see that I was wrong.

I would also be interested in seeing Alonso race NASCAR, Le Mans, WRC, or anything else he wants to try his hand at! Every success will simply build the legend. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:50 am 

Exediron wrote:
mmi16 wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't just dumb luck? Unless Hunter-Reay had even less clue how to keep his engine alive than the rookie Alonso did, that is...

mmi16 wrote:

Fair enough. I took you for a hater, hating as haters will hate, but I see that I was wrong.

I would also be interested in seeing Alonso race NASCAR, Le Mans, WRC, or anything else he wants to try his hand at! Every success will simply build the legend. :thumbup:

No hating - I watched all 3 hours of his first test day at Indy, including his Rookie Orientation Program laps and test. For 4 corners, Indy is not a easy track to 'master' and I have been watching drivers try to master it in all forms of equipment since 1959 - many have failed.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:26 am 

mmi16 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mmi16 wrote:

Yep - he done blowed up!

Well, Sato also falls into the category. So there's that