planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 am 

1 of the most crucial races of the season as all team will be getting major updates. Hoping Red Bull joins the leading duo for championship contention.

Wonder if Renault also gains much of an improvement.

Source - http://www.blogcdn.com

NUMBER OF LAPS: 66

CIRCUIT LENGTH: 4.655 KM

RACE DISTANCE: 307.104 KM

LAP RECORD: 1:21.670
By Kimi Raikkonen (2008)

Tyres:
White-marked medium tyre
Yellow-marked soft tyre
Orange-marked hard tyre

Press Conference:
Part 1 will have drivers:
Fernando Alonso (McLaren), Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso), Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

Part 2 will have drivers:
Marcus Ericsson (Sauber), Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), Max Verstappen (Red Bull)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:15 pm 

In dry conditions RB won't be in the mix regardless of the updates they bring, their only chance is with verstappen and some rain.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:46 pm 

As expected, RB have a new shark fin:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:38 pm 

Alarmingly this track has produced 10 different winners in the last 10 years. Bottas or Ricciardo to extend that to 11 in 11?

FA#14

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:44 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Alarmingly this track has produced 10 different winners in the last 10 years. Bottas or Ricciardo to extend that to 11 in 11?

Bottas is apparently very good around here and Mercedes seem to have an entire new car worth of upgrades, engine too. I was tempted to pick him in the Pick10 comp but I bottled it. :lol:

I'm still tempted for the Top3 comp but Lewis usually responds after a poor weekend and Ferrari looked the best around here in pre-season so there is a fair chance I'll bottle it again. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:50 pm 

Checking some pics on twitter, damn! The cars with their new upgrades have started to look like aliens have designed them.

Look at the new Mercedes nose area and new sidepods, Ferrari too has weird diffuser and bargeboard area along with tail. Redbull too with totally new side of the car. So many small fins and bits on these cars. They are starting to look weird now.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:14 am 

Mercedes have brought a very large update-
- All engine components and gearbox all upgraded
- New nose, side pods, floor around rear wheels, vanes, rear wing parts and monkey seat
- Overall weight reduced but still more needed
auto-motor-und-sport.de

Last edited by lamo on Fri May 12, 2017 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:16 am 

I see this being a Mercedes weekend if Ferrari aren't introducing new engines, does anybody know? A brand new higher spec Mercedes vs a Ferrari PU on race 5 should tip the scales surely?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:32 am 

lamo wrote:
I see this being a Mercedes weekend if Ferrari aren't introducing new engines, does anybody know? A brand new higher spec Mercedes vs a Ferrari PU on race 5 should tip the scales surely?

The same way folks saw the season being a Merc vs Redbull, like Ferrari went into the break and decided not to touvh the car!

Until all hit the track looking at winglets will remain the same people jumping into conclusions as usual, I think you need to see the details on the rear of the Ferrari and the Redbull too!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:46 am 

Rockie wrote:
lamo wrote:

The same way folks saw the season being a Merc vs Redbull, like Ferrari went into the break and decided not to touvh the car!

Until all hit the track looking at winglets will remain the same people jumping into conclusions as usual, I think you need to see the details on the rear of the Ferrari and the Redbull too!

It will be interesting to see how they go, RBR has been a disappointing reveal so far, but Ferrari has some improvements but they have also already brought some to previous races. Mercedes has a bigger upgrade package for this week, although about the same as Ferrari overall, but they are also bringing a new engine package which has been where their real strengths are the last few years so potentially a bigger difference than their chassis upgrades. It could be tight.

Apart from RBR... Unfortunately if anything it looks like they'll be going backwards in comparison even with their upgrades.

PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:00 am 

The Mercedes should have been called the B spec, not the Redbull.
I look forward to see how Merc and Ferrari compare in S3 during the first few practice sessions, then make judgement on how upgrades worked.
Remember Ferrari brought large upgrades for Bahrain and Mercedes outqualified them badly and could have won the race.
The battle is still going to be close, I just hope Redbull gets closer, and I think they will.
The Ferrari should prove once again on this track that their tire preservation is superior.
Exciting weekend ahead.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:24 am 

kleefton wrote:
The Mercedes should have been called the B spec, not the Redbull.

Yeah RB and the media greatly exaggerated what they would be bringing, the chassis is completely unchanged and it's only some aero parts.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:25 am 

Keeping the top 3 teams aside, other (midfield) teams also are bring lot of updates. Wonder if the pecking order gets reshuffled here & there.

It was raining already on Thursday but the weekend seems poised to be dry.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:51 am 

I hope I'm wrong but I think this is the point in the season where Mercedes starts leaving Ferrari behind and it becomes a Mercedes vs Mercedes season again.

According to the Spanish official 'Agencia Estatal de Meteorologia' (www.aemet.es) the weather will alternate clears and clouds, with some chance of rain on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:13 am 

Viva la McLaren!!!!!!

Customary engine failure is a must.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:14 am 

Alonso with whole 12 minutes before his McLaren breaks down.

Clear improvement, that's a good sign. Maybe they can get to the 40th minute by Abu Dhabi but I don't want to jinx it.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:14 am 

10 mins in and one mclaren (alonso) down for the count already.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:17 am 

Never earlier saw a F1 car pee!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:19 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Never earlier saw a F1 car pee!

And people dare to say that Honda don't bring innovation to F1!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:02 am 

Mercedes pace looking worrying so far, let's hope these upgrades haven't separated Mercedes & Ferrari. We need more than 4 races :-((

Looking forward to the race pace analysis from FP2.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Mercedes pace looking worrying so far, let's hope these upgrades haven't separated Mercedes & Ferrari. We need more than 4 races :-((

Most of us have been expecting the upgrades would restore Mercedes advantage. I'm sure Ferrari have too, which is why they have been downplaying their start to the season so much.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:28 am 

I'm shocked people think its easy to find a second in F1.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:30 am 

The sky isn't falling just yet. Should have a much better read after FP2.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:31 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

yeah, have to say I was worried about that earlier in the week when I read that they'd managed to save more than 6KG in weight. Hope my fears aren't realised but they are looking very strong at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:40 am 

Ferrari will be closer.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:23 am 

does anyone have the number of engine components each team have used so far, I read Ferrari have used 3 of 4 of one of the components already and will be looking at grid penalties in the near future?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:32 am 

stevey wrote:
does anyone have the number of engine components each team have used so far, I read Ferrari have used 3 of 4 of one of the components already and will be looking at grid penalties in the near future?

Yes I think they're on their 3rd turbos, but apparently they can be used at a later date, they're not broken or anything. Seems strange but Ferrari seem unconcerned, maybe they aren't planning on upgrading the turbos this year so there's no real loss to them.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:01 pm 

Rockie wrote:
I'm shocked people think its easy to find a second in F1.

I didn't read that above.. but time is easiest to find at the beginning of new regulations and on top of that we are are seeing first engine updates. I think 0.6-1.0 can be found by some teams if they introduce there first aero update and a new engine spec at one race.

The reason I said above that Mercedes could pull ahead this weekend, is because they have new engines this weekend and Ferrari don't. Before we even consider any aero updates. An old engine on its 5th race is already more than a tenth slower than the same specification engine brand new. So even if the Mercedes and Ferrari engines were equal at the start of the year, Ferrari are +0.1 and Mercedes with an entire new spec engine (all 5 components) must be at least -0.2. I see at least a 0.3 turn around in engines this race, probably more.

Aero, I am not sure how that will work out but Ferrari have had a few updates each race whilst Mercedes have had hardly any and now put it all on in one race. Mercedes have been saying all season that there car didn't work so well in Barcalone pre season testing so we shall see how it goes this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:06 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
stevey wrote:

Yes I think they're on their 3rd turbos, but apparently they can be used at a later date, they're not broken or anything. Seems strange but Ferrari seem unconcerned, maybe they aren't planning on upgrading the turbos this year so there's no real loss to them.

Yes they can use them at later races they have said, probably in practice if it has some damage. I believe they were removed as a pre-caution or removed and had repairs (under the rules). But the ones they are running now have a slight re-design.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:22 pm 

Alonso being very being non-committal about where he'll be next year when interviewed on the F1 app commentary. Said he's enjoying the new F1 cars though so it doesn't sound like he's looking to go to another series but wasn't sounding like someone who's sure he'll be at the same team next year either.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:24 pm 

The Redbull boys seem to be sliding all over the places this weekend

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:26 pm 

Vandoorne showing some good speed.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:34 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Alonso being very being non-committal about where he'll be next year when interviewed on the F1 app commentary. Said he's enjoying the new F1 cars though so it doesn't sound like he's looking to go to another series but wasn't sounding like someone who's sure he'll be at the same team next year either.

I wonder why :-P But honestly he had 2 choices

1) Don't commit to McHonda for next season
2) Lie

No one in his right mind would like to commit.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:41 pm 

Alonso has another engine failure. What a surprise.

Honda still incapable of making a reliable engine.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:42 pm 

Wow, the difference between the tyres is crazy, 2-3 seconds per lap. I wonder if this will be a 2 or 3 stopper?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:46 pm 

lamo wrote:
Wow, the difference between the tyres is crazy, 2-3 seconds per lap. I wonder if this will be a 2 or 3 stopper?

Alonso wishes you could change engines during pit stops.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:14 pm 

Tomorrow I hope race strategies make the race interesting.

This race track will give good competition to Sochi for lesser overtakes than usual.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:21 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

This race track will give good competition to Sochi for lesser overtakes than usual.

No one can beat Sochi 2017 for lesser overtakes. It can only be matched.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:27 pm 

VDV23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

No one can beat Sochi 2017 for lesser overtakes. It can only be matched.

Rain during qualy or race can spice up the race otherwise it's a foregone conclusion - Merc 1-2.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:34 pm 

I think Ferrari is trying to increase their tyre life even more than normal. Even if they qualify behind Mercedes, and stay in touch in the race, they know they can't pass on this track. As Mercedes pit for the last time, the Ferraris will go really long, as the difference between tyres here is 2 seconds a lap. They will do only a handful of laps on the slower tyre, and hopefully gain a lot over Mercedes, and come out ahead after making their last stop.