planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:10 pm 

Is Vettel in an unfavourable position in regards to engine components and penalties?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:11 pm 

wow, new interview format, interesting.....

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:12 pm 

A tale of the final few corners. I think Hamilton was the only one who nailed them in Q3.

Alonso P7 on this circuit with that build up in that car: Just mad.

Last edited by wolfticket on Sat May 13, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:12 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
Is Vettel in an unfavourable position in regards to engine components and penalties?

This does not really matter as shown last year, you can have all new engines and still have a dnf!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:14 pm 

mcdo wrote:
7th! SEVENTH!

Astonishing.

Does anyone doubt that this guy is still the best out there?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:15 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
It's really relieving for Merc/Ferrari to still be so close to each other after the first major upgrades.

:thumbup: I'd be getting too greedy if I asked for much more than two teams being this close over an entire season

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:17 pm 

Rockie wrote:
This does not really matter as shown last year, you can have all new engines and still have a dnf!

To be fair, Hamilton had the bulk of failures for Mercedes engines across the entire grid last year...

Terrific repartee between Hamilton and Vettle - I like this new interview process, seems great for fans at the track. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited by F1nut on Sat May 13, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rockie wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

Last year showed that the races that Hamilton had components changes, he came 3rd,2nd and 7th whilst Rosberg came 1st,1st,1st. He lost 36 points in those three races. If any driver starts taking penalties it will seriously dent his WDC chances.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:19 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Soooo close! Awesome from Hamilton and Vettel. That's why the championship will come down to those two.

I still don't get why so many people still make it sound like the championship is just between these 2. Hamilton had a really poor weekend 2 weeks ago in Russia. Bottas wasn't helped here at all by the fact he missed most of P3 and had an old engine. While Hamilton had a brand new one which could well have helped.I still think Bottas will be part of the championship fight. I hope he will have a start again like he did in Russia.

It's very clear to me on performance Valtteri would be on pole if it wasn't for his engine woes. I definitely agree he'll run Hamilton very close for the title, and can easily beat him.

mikeyg123 wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Alonso performing miracles again.

No miracles here, he's got a Q3 car all they need is for it to be reliable

Then why is his team mate never anywhere near him?

That car shouldn't be within site of Q3 IMO.

Yep, this performance is ALL Fernando. He's amazing.

lamo wrote:
Rockie wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

Last year showed that the races that Hamilton had components changes, he came 3rd,2nd and 7th whilst Rosberg came 1st,1st,1st. He lost 36 points in those three races. If any driver starts taking penalties it will seriously dent his WDC chances.

You can't pile up all the penalties in one race the same way as Hamilton did last year either.

Good laps there from 1 and 2 . Crazy how the s3 times were so different. Different setups or different driver choice on spending rubber

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:21 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
...and can easily beat him.

No one has ever easily beaten Hamilton to a title when he's had a front running car. The stars were aligned for Rosberg and he wasn't close to his form in 2015.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:22 pm 

So that Redbull B spec didn't gain any ground on the front runners.
Ferrari still has a chance to win it tomorrow I feel. Vettel will be hounding Lewis all race, will they try to undercut or overcut?
Will be very interesting to see how Alonso will do with that P7, there are so many faster cars starting behind him.
Should be a great race, even with probably very little overtaking...

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:23 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
lamo wrote:
Rockie wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

You can't pile up all the penalties in one race the same way as Hamilton did last year either.

Exactly, so penalties will be even worse this year. Therefore a driver who uses too many components is going to start a few of races around 6th-8th and have no chance against the other WDC contenders in the those races and lose plenty of points.

lamo wrote:
Rockie wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

I guess the context of the reply flew right over your head!

But here's a breakdown of it even with the components rotation of Ferrari, it does not guarantee they are gonna have a dnf/dns soon or Mercedes cos they have not rotated components means they are immune to dnf/dns.

Rosberg had the high mileage engine, but it was Hamilton with the new engine who dnf'd in the lead!

j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
7th! SEVENTH!

Astonishing.

Need to be patient, some considering him the best, some don't.

When stuff go bad, its Honda, when stuff go good, it is obviously not Honda, it is the GOAT Alonso.

We need to be fair here and a bit level headed. Give credit where is due. Honda made and incredible job to get the PU reliable at least for Qualy, lets see what happens tomorrow. They have the power and the have the downforce, the reliability was missing and hopefully they are getting on top of things, Alonso drove a great lap but it is not like he stepped out of the car and pushed it to the line.

The WHOLE TEAM including HONDA did a great job today, the results are Q3 and P7

To the Alonso fans, enjoy, you deserve it after enduring so many let downs!!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:25 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Soooo close! Awesome from Hamilton and Vettel. That's why the championship will come down to those two.

I still don't get why so many people still make it sound like the championship is just between these 2. Hamilton had a really poor weekend 2 weeks ago in Russia. Bottas wasn't helped here at all by the fact he missed most of P3 and had an old engine. While Hamilton had a brand new one which could well have helped.I still think Bottas will be part of the championship fight. I hope he will have a start again like he did in Russia.

It's very clear to me on performance Valtteri would be on pole if it wasn't for his engine woes. I definitely agree he'll run Hamilton very close for the title, and can easily beat him.

I was counting on the haters to bring up the engine disparity. FYI, the new engine has no performance advantage, the updates made were for reliability only.

Bottas lost fair and square. Accept it.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:26 pm 

Andy2402 wrote:
Good laps there from 1 and 2 . Crazy how the s3 times were so different. Different setups or different driver choice on spending rubber

Its wasn't even S3, Hamilton made all the time up in chicane alone. He was a long way behind entering the chicane (looked like a 0.3 at least). They just showed a side by side comparison of the Hamilton pole lap vs Vettel 2nd run on sky. Hamilton made a mistake in the middle sector though on the pole lap and I assume in the last sector on his second run as he was -0.250 up and ended up slower. All drivers made an error in each of there runs it seems, although I am not sure about if Bottas did in his 2nd run.

Last edited by lamo on Sat May 13, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:27 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

I wouldn't go that far. But I think he's much closer to Hamilton than most think and I think he has also been under rated over the past 2 seasons.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:27 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Vettel will be hounding Lewis all race, will they try to undercut or overcut?

I reckon we'll have more of a race if Vettel jumps Hamilton at the start. Mercedes have the edge in S3 so I expect them to pull away during the race if Lewis is leading. If not, I can see Lewis hounding Seb but not getting enough pace to pull and overtake.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:28 pm 

PRFAN wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
7th! SEVENTH!

Astonishing.

When stuff go bad, its Honda, when stuff go good, it is obviously not Honda, it is the GOAT Alonso.

We need to be fair here and a bit level headed. Give credit where is due. Honda made and incredible job to get the PU reliable at least for Qualy, lets see what happens tomorrow. They have the power and the have the downforce, the reliability was missing and hopefully they are getting on top of things, Alonso drove a great lap but it is not like he stepped out of the car and pushed it to the line.

Why are you forgetting about his teammate? Can you explain why he was nowhere near Q3?
I'm not Alonso's biggest fan, but the job he is doing is truly incredible.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:29 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Vettel will be hounding Lewis all race, will they try to undercut or overcut?

I reckon we'll have more of a race if Vettel jumps Hamilton at the start. Mercedes have the edge in S3 so I expect them to pull away during the race if Lewis is leading. If not, I can see Lewis hounding Seb but not getting enough pace to pull and overtake.

Undercut yes, but there won't be any overtaking tomorrow. Its one of the worst tracks for it. We had cars 1.5 seconds per lap quicker last year unable to pass.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:30 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

How much is the new spec engine worth exactly, I would love to know?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:34 pm 

kleefton wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
7th! SEVENTH!

Astonishing.

Why are you forgetting about his teammate? Can you explain why he was nowhere near Q3?
I'm not Alonso's biggest fan, but the job he is doing is truly incredible.

I am not forgetting about his teammate, as I asked before we first need to be sure he was running the same spec car, and see how his lap went. I am waiting for info on Stoffel. Once we (I) have more info, maybe supplied by you guys we can make a better comparison.

no bias here bro!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:35 pm 

Bottas was great considering he missed a full practise, he would have been close just looking at practise 1 and 2 times

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:36 pm 

lamo wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Not that much, but the gap between Hamilton and Bottas will surely have been smaller if Bottas didn't miss most of P3 as well as having a 4 race ond engine. Compared to Hamilton who had a new one. I do certainly think Hamilton is better than Bottas, just not by as much as most seem to think.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:37 pm 

PRFAN wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
7th! SEVENTH!

Astonishing.

Yes after 5 years of research and development, millions of dollars of investment, thousands of hours spent designing...Honda have delivered a woefully underpowered engine that lasted about 15 laps over a 1 hour qualifying session. That's not a great job, it's just less pathetic outcome in comparison with some of their recent outings.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:37 pm 

kleefton wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
I'll say it again, place a merc engine instead of the crap honda one and mclaren would be up there with Ferrari/Merc (at least the one driven by Alonso)

I think most of us want to see that. Unfortunately some people think you can only win with a works engine.

If the lump you want to place in you car is German, forget about it. They'll make sure yours is tuned down in case of danger to their works team.

If it is a French engine you want, you stand a chance (assuming they can come back to their average engine form of the last decades)

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:41 pm 

PRFAN wrote:

I actually watched him do that right in front of me in Hungary 2015 qualy. However they wouldn't let him back out on track, turns out it's against the rules. But it was ok, the following day he finished 5th in front of both Mercs :proud:

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:45 pm 

PRFAN wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
7th! SEVENTH!

Astonishing.

No Wonder Mercedes would not want to hire him.
If Vettel wins, people will say it is because of Ferrari, but when Alonso did, Ferrari was never mentioned.

Nonetheless a fantastic lap, like many of the greats have done ;)
__

ohhhhh Vandoorne.. the guy is even more disappointing than Stroll. I understand the rubbish car, but is it that difficult to press the throttle pedal on the main straight? If your team mate who have missed most of the practice sessions beat you this bad, it simply means your career is OVER. And to think that they pushed Jenson out for him..

I have been glued to the live timing screens for every practice sessions of the year and I don't remember 1(ONE) lap in which Vandoorne was faster than Alonso. It is statistically IMPOSSIBLE if you are touted as the next "Hamilton". I fear it is over. So sad.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:46 pm 

cm97 wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
7th! SEVENTH!

Astonishing.

Yes after 5 years of research and development, millions of dollars of investment, thousands of hours spent designing...Honda have delivered a woefully underpowered engine that lasted about 15 laps over a 1 hour qualifying session. That's not a great job, it's just less pathetic outcome in comparison with some of their recent outings.

Hey some of you said Q3 was impossible with Honda this year, get them out of F1 now!! Let them work the issues out.

No way to make some of you guys happy, even when things go good you find a way to bring yourselves down. Be happy that Honda is showing some improvement on reliability, and from there they can get better. The Honda guys seemed happy, and that is good. Alonso drove great and the car was there for him today.

You know who is happy now.........salivating at the prospects for the future..........Sauber!!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:49 pm 

Pullrod wrote:
ohhhhh Vandoorne.. the guy is even more disappointing than Stroll. I understand the rubbish car, but is it that difficult to press the throttle pedal on the main straight? If your team mate who have missed most of the practice sessions beat you this bad, it simply means your career is OVER. And to think that they pushed Jenson out for him..

I have been glued to the live timing screens for every practice sessions of the year and I don't remember 1(ONE) lap in which Vandoorne was faster than Alonso. It is statistically IMPOSSIBLE if you are touted as the next "Hamilton". I fear it is over. So sad.

:lol: Right we'll add the most successful GP2 driver ever to the long list of rubbish/over-the-hill drivers that Alonso has had as a teammate

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:51 pm 

-ZeroGravityToilet- wrote:
kleefton wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
I'll say it again, place a merc engine instead of the crap honda one and mclaren would be up there with Ferrari/Merc (at least the one driven by Alonso)

I think most of us want to see that. Unfortunately some people think you can only win with a works engine.

If the lump you want to place in you car is German, forget about it. They'll make sure yours is tuned down in case of danger to their works team.

If it is a French engine you want, you stand a chance (assuming they can come back to their average engine form of the last decades)

How can they make sure that it is tuned down? This is the part I don't understand, first of all Mclaren manufactures the ECU. If you want to talk about tuning software, Mclaren should be able to do that themselves. If they don't then it's their fault.

I mean, if I am a Mercedes customer team and I was feeling like I'm not getting the same engine as the works car, I would go complain to he FIA and make sure that they abide by the RULES. The rule is that the engines supplied to customer teams have to be equal.

Also, from what I've heard all Mercedes engines have to use the same Petronas fuel and lubricants from this year on. There is a rumor that the Mercedes customers do not get the same engine modes as the works car but it cannot be confirmed.

cm97 wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
7th! SEVENTH!

Astonishing.

Don't forget, this was seventh, but almost two seconds off the pace, even though doing almost par in sector three, the more corner heavy of the circuit...

Pullrod wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
7th! SEVENTH!

Astonishing.

No Wonder Mercedes would not want to hire him.
If Vettel wins, people will say it is because of Ferrari, but when Alonso did, Ferrari was never mentioned.

Nonetheless a fantastic lap, like many of the greats have done ;)
__

JAJAJAJA, predictability guided conclusions on some blinded by fanboyism, but what can we do??!! Just enjoy it and get flamed when some points are brought!! JAJAJAJAJAJAJA

Yep, maybe the guy is really underperforming, a possibility I have not looked at honestly, if that is the case, it will make the other driver look even better, same thing that is possibly happening at Williams, but I do think Massa is better than some say.

I don't think he is though, that is why I am waiting on info on his car or his lap. Maybe there are some factors affecting him that we are not aware of.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:59 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
kleefton wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

Red Bull - Renault prove that you can be very competitive being the non-official works team
With mercedes however, thats another story...

And Red Bull have the budget.

How good would the Mclaren chassis be if it was designed on a smaller budget?

Oh well
If a team is competitive, keeps on delivering good results, and in general has good management, they can keep on having a pretty good budget like Red Bull. Surely they have been backed by the energy drinks money but still, they dont really lose money in F1

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:05 pm 

PRFAN wrote:
cm97 wrote:
PRFAN wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
7th! SEVENTH!

Astonishing.

Hey some of you said Q3 was impossible with Honda this year, get them out of F1 now!! Let them work the issues out.

No way to make some of you guys happy, even when things go good you find a way to bring yourselves down. Be happy that Honda is showing some improvement on reliability, and from there they can get better. The Honda guys seemed happy, and that is good. Alonso drove great and the car was there for him today.

You know who is happy now.........salivating at the prospects for the future..........Sauber!!

Don't get me wrong, it was a great result given the lead up and I was impressed even if though my response suggests otherwise. What is sad is that Honda is happy and cheering about being 2 secs of the pace. That is no way near acceptable.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:08 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
lamo wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Not that much, but the gap between Hamilton and Bottas will surely have been smaller if Bottas didn't miss most of P3 as well as having a 4 race ond engine. Compared to Hamilton who had a new one. I do certainly think Hamilton is better than Bottas, just not by as much as most seem to think.

To be honest, Hamilton has not been comfortable with these cars(my opinion) which is different to having a fast car.
The guy used to eat kerbs for breakfast and be at the edge of locking his tyres. Mercedes is simply not suited for his driving style(at the moment). I know he got pole, but he is not driving like he used to.

Of all Hamilton's teammates, Bottas is the one who loses minimal time(if at all) in the first sector (on average) after the heavy braking zone.
If Hamilton starts are anything to go by(often outbraked into the first corner) , it is fair to say he is not taking chances with the brakes.
Bottas is doing a great job though and will pose problems if Lewis doesn't brake/drive again like he used to do.