15. Romain Grosjean 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
16. Kevin Magnussen 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
17. Nico Hulkenberg 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
18. Jolyon Palmer 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
19. Marcus Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
20. Pascal Wehrein 25%  25%  [ 40 ]
Total votes : 161
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:24 am 

Kvyat did really well, from the back of the grid firmly into the points. Perez and Hamilton amazing too. Awesome race.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:57 am 

I've no idea who to vote for this race as I was paying little attention to anyone other than Lewis and Seb. Edit - largely because it was impossible to keep track of what was happening as time gaps between drivers was shown very rarely x( .

As the Force India drivers ended up P4 and P5 I assume its down to the car/Ric ended up exactly where he should be given the circumstances/ and Wehrlein may well have had an excellent race - but I wasn't paying attention and he screwed up by gaining a 5 second penalty.

Seb made a mistake overtaking Massa (as a lapped driver), but overtook Lewis at the start and had a great overtake on Bottas - and Lewis was overtaken at the start and won the race due to better strategy and Bottas (understandably) being used as an obstacle.

Its made even more difficult as Kimi's race ended at the start and Bottas was on an old engine that eventually failed - so there are no clues as to whether Lewis and Seb really drove brilliantly to lap everyone (other than Ric), or whether their cars are just that much better than the rest of the grid!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:19 am 

Andy2402 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Ocon, Wehrlein and Sainz were pretty good for me. I thought Vettel was very good, too, and would have won if not for the VSC, after which he was a sitting duck.

Are you assuming he would have got to the end without pitting again ?

No, he had to put the Mediums on. But he would have done so much later in the race

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:13 am 

mcdo wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mcdo wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
So, so far it looks like most of the votes (25%) have gone to the driver who is now half way to a race ban with 6 super licence points..... I know this may seem harsh but he did get a couple of points on his licence for what he did today. So, it must have been a rather big mistake. And 6 points is a lot to have at this stage considering how highly so many people rate him.

I think that Wherlein is possibly one of the most over rated drivers on the grid this year and Ericsson is one of the most under rated. I'm not saying Wherlien is bad. I'm also not saying Ericsson is better. Wherlein did have a great race other than his mistake, but he was only marginally better than his team mate over the weekend. So the 20 - 0 votes is rather surprising. Wherlein was very lucky to have been put on a 1 stop strategy because of the safety car and other incidents. There is very little chance he will have managed to score this number of points if it wasn't for this. He also was helped out by Bottas, Verstappen and Raikonnen retiring.

Ericsson was on a 2 stop stratagy which didn't work out. He was also stuck behind Stroll a lot of the time (in a williams?!). Stoll kept pulling right away on the straits but holding Ericsson up round the corners. But amazingly, Ericsson managed to get past and climb up the order somewhat. He also got past Alonso. But then that won't have been difficult. He also did several other impressive overtakes. Wherlein certainly is good at looking after his tyres though. But we may have been able to see Ericsson do this too if he was on the same strategy. He managed to look after his tyres well in Mexico last year.

Ericsson has never shown that he can do what Wehrlein can

Other than Ericsson's poor form in the wet, where is it that Wherlein obviously excels then? I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing Wherlein, but I just think he gets a little too much praise and Ericsson doesn't get enough. Both these drivers make mistakes. Both have had good performances. Wherlein had a bad start, although it wasn't to do with F1, that ROC incident looked like he was fully responsible. So he cost himself the start of the season. There seemed to be so much praise this weekend for wherlein getting into Q2 this weekend even though he only managed it by 0.005 seconds. And nobody seemed to be at all impressed that Ericsson managed to get through to Q2 in both of the first 2 race weekends.

As I said, I don't doubt Wherlein's ability, but I don't think Ericsson is far behind him at all this season. The only time there was a massive gap between them that wasn't to do with a mix up of strategy was qualifying in Bahrain. Wherlein certainly beat him by a long way there. But Race pace wasn't that different between the 2.

Despite missing the start of the season we're currently 3-0 for Wehrlein in qualy and now he's bagged their first points finish. The wait continues for Ericsson. Being close to him is one thing but the ability to capitalize on opportunities is what sets the likes of Wehrlein aside from the likes of Ericsson

Yes, it is true that it is 3-0 so far in qualifying. But in Russia, Wherlein spun on his final attempt as well as Palmer crashing. In the mean time, Ericsson was behind both and had to abort his lap. I don't know if he'll have beaten Wherlein though but I think he lost his chance if he was going to. Then the gap between them this weekend was simply tiny in qualifying. And if Stroll was where he should have been, neither Sauber would have been in Q2. If there had been another car that had had issues, then both will have got through and Ericsson could well have improved. And as I'd said, if Ericsson was on the same strategy, I'm almost certain he'll have been in the points and possibly level with Wherlein because of his penalty.

We will just have to wait and see how they perform. But given that Ericsson beat Wherlein by nearly 30 seconds in Russia shows that he doesn't always perform better. That is quite some gap even if the strategy was to blame.