18. Jolyon Palmer 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
19. Marcus Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
20. Pascal Wehrein 25%  25%  [ 40 ]
Total votes : 161
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:39 pm 

For me:

Hamilton, Ocon & Wehrlein!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:41 pm 

For potential impact on race result, I'm inclined to actually nominate Bottas.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:44 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
For me:

Those three and Perez were all great. I thought Vettel was great as well. It's a tough one to pick just three drivers.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:48 pm 

Hanilton for managing to win with a slight car deficit.

Wehrlein for pulling off a great strategy and some great race craft

Hulkenberg for destroying his team mate.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:48 pm 

Vettel, Hamilton with Ocon/Perez/Wehrlein/Hulk deserving of mention.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:49 pm 

I think Ham and Vet were on a different level to the others today just in terms of their outstanding race pace, regardless of the cars.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:49 pm 

Ocon, Wehrlein and Sainz were pretty good for me. I thought Vettel was very good, too, and would have won if not for the VSC, after which he was a sitting duck.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:50 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
For me:

Those three and Perez were all great. I thought Vettel was great as well. It's a tough one to pick just three drivers.

Perez is Mr. Consistent but the reason I chose Ocon is because he's upped his game now.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:51 pm 

Wehrlein

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:03 pm 

Hulk is really exposing Palmer. Jolyon really needs to up his game in hurry.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:05 pm 

Hulk/Wehrlein to not say the top two in the front.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:06 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
Hulk/Wehrlein to not say the top two in the front.

Agreed. Hulk is embarrassing his team mate and Wehrlein has done a great recovery from almost losing his seat.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:18 pm 

Hamilton, vettel & wehrlein.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why recently there is fewer mention of Perez when he technically always in front of Ocon and Hulk yet people praise so much of them both but failed to highlight Perez.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:21 pm 

Hamilton and Vettel were on another planet today, and i'm actually excited to see just how far they can push each other this season. Has all the hallmarks of a properly golden year if the Merc and Ferrari remain this evenly matched. Watching 2 of the best matching blow for blow with only the minutiae seperating them is going to make for one hell of a season.

Think ill go Wehrlein for 3rd choice; whisper it quietly, but the boy is making quite the case for himself.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:27 pm 

chetan_rao wrote:

I can understand this. But I couldn't vote drivers that have missed a big chunk of the race as a driver of the day. But yes, he certainly made it easier for Hamilton to take the win. Because of Bottas's great race last race weekend in Russia and his great team play here, I'm pretty sure he'll still be in the team next year.

He also didn't do bad in this race really. His old engine could have been partly responsible for his slower pace in qualifying. And very likely will have been the reason why he dropped so far behind the others in the race. I actually think that if he retired at the start in the collision, Hamilton may not have won. Bottas helped massively by holding up vettel in the middle of the race. He is a great defender as he proved in Russia.

I'd say driver of the day was either Hamilton or Vettel. I personally think Wherlein has been a little over rated as he often is compared to his team mate. I can certainly understand why he can be a driver of the day, but I don't think he was the best out there. I'll be surprised if he gets the most votes. He did have great pace and his defending was very good too. But his one stop strategy and the safety car and 3 retirements of the most competitive cars helped him a lot. He also made a poor mistake in the pit lane. If he'd been on the same strategy as his team mate Ericsson and there wasn't any retirements, then he'll have been out of the points and probably won't have been much ahead either. Ericsson looked to have quite a strong race too if I'm honest. He had a good battle with Stroll and Alonso and overtook them both. But because of the Williams's top speed, he was stuck behind on the straights and closed up in the corners. I'm quite amazed how he got passed really. Wherlien also only beat Ericsson by 0.005 in Q1. I still think these 2 drivers have been pretty much level this season.

A decent recovery by Kvyat. Given that Kvyat was barely behind Sainz again even though he started pretty much last does make me wonder if Sainz is clearly better than him. During the races this year, they have both been about equal.

If there was such a think as the most unlucky driver of the day, I think it has to be Massa just because the amount of times he was knocked into. First lap, he pretty much had to do what he did or else he will have smacked into Raikonnen and Verstappen. He then got crashed into by Stroll which looked very clumsy indeed by Stroll. But at leased he admitted he was at fault. Then there was also Vettel nearly crashing into him when he was getting lapped. Vettel sounded like he was complaining but Massa couldn't have done any more than he did. He very nearly got a knock again. I think there may have been another bit of contact that wasn't his fault too. Something surprising though, Stoll gets beten by Massa! Even though Massa had the puncture and all the other bad luck. It is starting to show that Stroll really is poor.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:28 pm 

Wehrlein
Hamilton
Hulkenberg

I was unsure about Wehrlein last season but he's made a strong start to this one. If he keeps this up he could well be in contention for the Mercedes seat next year if Bottas doesn't raise his game.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:38 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
chetan_rao wrote:

I can understand this. But I couldn't vote drivers that have missed a big chunk of the race as a driver of the day.....

Me neither TBH, but he made a telling contribution. Also, easily overlooked in a race like this but Bottas seems to be finding his feet and won't be the pushover a lot of people were hoping for.

The old engine could explain his performance deficit, but he definitely looks like he can hang with Hamilton. Kimi needs to start performing or the WCC is gone.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:59 pm 

Ja'a wrote:

I'm a bit puzzled as to why recently there is fewer mention of Perez when he technically always in front of Ocon and Hulk yet people praise so much of them both but failed to highlight Perez.

Well, in this race Hulk finished waaaaaaay ahead of his team mate compared to Perez vs Ocon.
Hulk is literally destroying Palmer. And Ocon, being much less experied, is not doing bad at all vs Perez so far.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:32 pm 

j man wrote:
Wehrlein
Hamilton
Hulkenberg

I was unsure about Wehrlein last season but he's made a strong start to this one. If he keeps this up he could well be in contention for the Mercedes seat next year if Bottas doesn't raise his game.

I don't know what more Mercedes could expect from Bottas today. Lately he's making all the right moves for a contract extension

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:35 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
Ja'a wrote:

Well, in this race Hulk finished waaaaaaay ahead of his team mate compared to Perez vs Ocon.
Hulk is literally destroying Palmer. And Ocon, being much less experied, is not doing bad at all vs Perez so far.

It's not about experience, it's about talent. Ocon has quite a bit of that. Many people might not remember this but Ocon beat Verstappen to the F3 title the year they were both racing in that series. Palmer is a guy that will be shown the door after this season.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:05 pm 

mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:
Wehrlein
Hamilton
Hulkenberg

I don't know what more Mercedes could expect from Bottas today. Lately he's making all the right moves for a contract extension

He was well off the pace. He played the team game well but I feel Mercedes will want more from their 'other' driver than just to be Hamilton's doormat. I appreciate you can attribute at least some (maybe all, who knows?) of his lack of pace to the old engine he was running but ultimately I think he has been below par in four of the five races now. Bahrain and China were both really poor showings.

I'm not writing him off, there's plenty of the season to go. But he needs to do better than he has done in the first five races if he wants to keep his seat.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:10 pm 

j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:
Wehrlein
Hamilton
Hulkenberg

He was well off the pace. He played the team game well but I feel Mercedes will want more from their 'other' driver than just to be Hamilton's doormat. I appreciate you can attribute at least some (maybe all, who knows?) of his lack of pace to the old engine he was running but ultimately I think he has been below par in four of the five races now. Bahrain and China were both really poor showings.

I'm not writing him off, there's plenty of the season to go. But he needs to do better than he has done in the first five races if he wants to keep his seat.

Valtteri was bang on the pace with Hamilton in free practice until his engine problems started on Saturday. He's been really unlucky and nothing else. I doubt Hamilton will be thrilled to see a Mercedes engine going up in smoke again, and he'll undoubtedly be fearing he'll soon suffer the same fate.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:11 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Ja'a wrote:

It's not about experience, it's about talent. Ocon has quite a bit of that. Many people might not remember this but Ocon beat Verstappen to the F3 title the year they were both racing in that series. Palmer is a guy that will be shown the door after this season.

I can't disagree with any of that. If Palmer wants to survive, he needs to get must faster very soon. In the ultimate comparison to your team mate, Palmer looks doomed.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:14 pm 

j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:
Wehrlein
Hamilton
Hulkenberg

I think the PU expiring is evidence enough that he had to drive conservatively. He played the team game today and he played it well

4 out of 5 poor races is too harsh. He finished right up Hamilton's gearbox in Oz, won Russia and didn't have the equipment today (yet still played a role in winning the race for his team)

FA#14

Last edited by mcdo on Sun May 14, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:14 pm 

So, so far it looks like most of the votes (25%) have gone to the driver who is now half way to a race ban with 6 super licence points..... I know this may seem harsh but he did get a couple of points on his licence for what he did today. So, it must have been a rather big mistake. And 6 points is a lot to have at this stage considering how highly so many people rate him.

I think that Wherlein is possibly one of the most over rated drivers on the grid this year and Ericsson is one of the most under rated. I'm not saying Wherlien is bad. I'm also not saying Ericsson is better. Wherlein did have a great race other than his mistake, but he was only marginally better than his team mate over the weekend. So the 20 - 0 votes is rather surprising. Wherlein was very lucky to have been put on a 1 stop strategy because of the safety car and other incidents. There is very little chance he will have managed to score this number of points if it wasn't for this. He also was helped out by Bottas, Verstappen and Raikonnen retiring.

Ericsson was on a 2 stop stratagy which didn't work out. He was also stuck behind Stroll a lot of the time (in a williams?!). Stoll kept pulling right away on the straits but holding Ericsson up round the corners. But amazingly, Ericsson managed to get past and climb up the order somewhat. He also got past Alonso. But then that won't have been difficult. He also did several other impressive overtakes. Wherlein certainly is good at looking after his tyres though. But we may have been able to see Ericsson do this too if he was on the same strategy. He managed to look after his tyres well in Mexico last year.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:16 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
So, so far it looks like most of the votes (25%) have gone to the driver who is now half way to a race ban with 6 super licence points..... I know this may seem harsh but he did get a couple of points on his licence for what he did today. So, it must have been a rather big mistake. And 6 points is a lot to have at this stage considering how highly so many people rate him.

I think that Wherlein is possibly one of the most over rated drivers on the grid this year and Ericsson is one of the most under rated. I'm not saying Wherlien is bad. I'm also not saying Ericsson is better. Wherlein did have a great race other than his mistake, but he was only marginally better than his team mate over the weekend. So the 20 - 0 votes is rather surprising. Wherlein was very lucky to have been put on a 1 stop strategy because of the safety car and other incidents. There is very little chance he will have managed to score this number of points if it wasn't for this. He also was helped out by Bottas, Verstappen and Raikonnen retiring.

Ericsson was on a 2 stop stratagy which didn't work out. He was also stuck behind Stroll a lot of the time (in a williams?!). Stoll kept pulling right away on the straits but holding Ericsson up round the corners. But amazingly, Ericsson managed to get past and climb up the order somewhat. He also got past Alonso. But then that won't have been difficult. He also did several other impressive overtakes. Wherlein certainly is good at looking after his tyres though. But we may have been able to see Ericsson do this too if he was on the same strategy. He managed to look after his tyres well in Mexico last year.

Ericsson has never shown that he can do what Wehrlein can

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:30 pm 

mcdo wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Other than Ericsson's poor form in the wet, where is it that Wherlein obviously excels then? I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing Wherlein, but I just think he gets a little too much praise and Ericsson doesn't get enough. Both these drivers make mistakes. Both have had good performances. Wherlein had a bad start, although it wasn't to do with F1, that ROC incident looked like he was fully responsible. So he cost himself the start of the season. There seemed to be so much praise this weekend for wherlein getting into Q2 this weekend even though he only managed it by 0.005 seconds. And nobody seemed to be at all impressed that Ericsson managed to get through to Q2 in both of the first 2 race weekends.

As I said, I don't doubt Wherlein's ability, but I don't think Ericsson is far behind him at all this season. The only time there was a massive gap between them that wasn't to do with a mix up of strategy was qualifying in Bahrain. Wherlein certainly beat him by a long way there. But Race pace wasn't that different between the 2.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:49 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mcdo wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Other than Ericsson's poor form in the wet, where is it that Wherlein obviously excels then? I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing Wherlein, but I just think he gets a little too much praise and Ericsson doesn't get enough. Both these drivers make mistakes. Both have had good performances. Wherlein had a bad start, although it wasn't to do with F1, that ROC incident looked like he was fully responsible. So he cost himself the start of the season. There seemed to be so much praise this weekend for wherlein getting into Q2 this weekend even though he only managed it by 0.005 seconds. And nobody seemed to be at all impressed that Ericsson managed to get through to Q2 in both of the first 2 race weekends.

As I said, I don't doubt Wherlein's ability, but I don't think Ericsson is far behind him at all this season. The only time there was a massive gap between them that wasn't to do with a mix up of strategy was qualifying in Bahrain. Wherlein certainly beat him by a long way there. But Race pace wasn't that different between the 2.

Despite missing the start of the season we're currently 3-0 for Wehrlein in qualy and now he's bagged their first points finish. The wait continues for Ericsson. Being close to him is one thing but the ability to capitalize on opportunities is what sets the likes of Wehrlein aside from the likes of Ericsson

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:49 pm 

mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:
Wehrlein
Hamilton
Hulkenberg

I think the PU expiring is evidence enough that he had to drive conservatively. He played the team game today and he played it well

4 out of 5 poor races is too harsh. He finished right up Hamilton's gearbox in Oz, won Russia and didn't have the equipment today (yet still played a role in winning the race for his team)

Fair point.

We'll see how he progresses from here. His qualifying pace has been good thus far but I'm still to be convinced about his overall race pace. His performance in Russia did show some promise, but it's hard to gauge when Hamilton was held back by overheating equipment. It was also suggested that Bottas paid the price today for using more aggressive engine modes in Russia; not a criticism of him as I'm sure it was approved from the pitwall but might explain his strong pace that day.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:51 pm 

The Sauber cars were looking a little more pacier than Williams even. Either the updates on sauber are working well or Stroll is really poor.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:56 pm 

Hamilton, Vettel and Perez got my votes.

Honorable mention to Wehrlein.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:00 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mcdo wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I agree Ericsson gets underrated. I don't think Wehrlein is underrated though. Drivers usually improve as the season goes on after they move teams so I do expect the gap to keep growing.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:02 pm 

j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:
Wehrlein
Hamilton
Hulkenberg

Fair point.

We'll see how he progresses from here. His qualifying pace has been good thus far but I'm still to be convinced about his overall race pace. His performance in Russia did show some promise, but it's hard to gauge when Hamilton was held back by overheating equipment. It was also suggested that Bottas paid the price today for using more aggressive engine modes in Russia; not a criticism of him as I'm sure it was approved from the pitwall but might explain his strong pace that day.

I'm in the camp that believes Russia was a lot down to it being his best track. I don't see him replicating it many times (if ever) again this year. Up to him to prove us (and his employers) wrong

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:43 pm 

j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:
Wehrlein
Hamilton
Hulkenberg

Fair point.

We'll see how he progresses from here. His qualifying pace has been good thus far but I'm still to be convinced about his overall race pace. His performance in Russia did show some promise, but it's hard to gauge when Hamilton was held back by overheating equipment. It was also suggested that Bottas paid the price today for using more aggressive engine modes in Russia; not a criticism of him as I'm sure it was approved from the pit wall but might explain his strong pace that day.

I understand you said this isn't a criticism. But it wasn't intended that Bottas would use his engine that he used in Russia was it? He unlike Hamiltton had to miss most of P3 and had to use a 4 race old engine. So it shouldn't have mattered at all how hard he pushed it in Russia as the team didn't expect to have to use it again.

The thing is, where you are saying you are unsure how much better Bottas was than Hamilton in Russia, did you notice that Bottas was faster in P1, P2, P3, FAR faster in qualifying and 36 seconds faster in the race. it won't have been problems that caused all of that. That weekend, Bottas outperformed Hamilton more than Hamilton has outperformed Bottas at any other race this year. I'd actually say Bottas is looking like hell be able to be a very good team mate with Hamilton. His teamplay today was great. Hamilton said that Bottas really helped him win today. I think he will have several more great races this year.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:48 pm 

mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Fair point.

I'm in the camp that believes Russia was a lot down to it being his best track. I don't see him replicating it many times (if ever) again this year. Up to him to prove us (and his employers) wrong

You are making it sound like his employers think that Sochi is the only track he is capable of a win at..... Surely they don't think this. Am I misunderstanding what you said?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:30 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:

Fair point.

You are making it sound like his employers think that Sochi is the only track he is capable of a win at..... Surely they don't think this. Am I misunderstanding what you said?

Yeah. I threw in the employers part because Bottas doesn't actually have to prove anything to us. Merc are the only people he needs to impress and if he doesn't come close to replicating Russia they may be left rather unimpressed

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:49 pm 

mcdo wrote:

I'm in a similar camp. Two factors at play in Russia it seems a very strong Bottas track coupled with a terrible Hamilton performance. If Hamilton had his A game, Bottas still may well have beaten him because of factor 1 but I think both factors occurring on the same race weekend unlikely. Vettel will probably win the race the next time Hamilton has a bad weekend.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:09 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Ocon, Wehrlein and Sainz were pretty good for me. I thought Vettel was very good, too, and would have won if not for the VSC, after which he was a sitting duck.

Are you assuming he would have got to the end without pitting again ?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:26 pm 

I'm going with Wehrelin, Pérez and Ocon here. Obviously both Hamilton and Vettel drove well at the head of the race, but for me those three were more impressive (and certainly more unexpected) on the day.

Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 3 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 9th

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:24 pm 

Pascal Wehrlein.

'Nuff said.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS