planetf1.com

It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:53 pm 

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on a few mistakes Martin Brundle made today.

He was saying that Lewis in the McLaren (sic) had an advantage with his tyres over Vettel in the Ferrari.

Then he was saying that Vettel did well to tell it was Massa he'd caught up to because you can't really see any advertising on the rear wing of the Mercedes (sic)

And just now on the paddock show he thought he was in Monaco, saying effectively, "When did you ever see a Red Bull so far behind at Monaco (sic) as you did today?

Did anyone else notice any of this? Anything to be alarmed about?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:55 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on a few mistakes Martin Brundle made today.

He was saying that Lewis in the McLaren (sic) had an advantage with his tyres over Vettel in the Ferrari.

Then he was saying that Vettel did well to tell it was Massa he'd caught up to because you can't really see any advertising on the rear wing of the Mercedes (sic)

And just now on the paddock show he thought he was in Monaco, saying effectively, "When did you ever see a Red Bull so far behind at Monaco (sic) as you did today?

I don't think with the Red Bull Monaco comment he was talking about this race but speculating for next fortnight.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:56 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:

Lol:)

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:56 pm 

First was a slip of the tongue, the second was clearly meant to be you cant tell the identity of a driver by looking at the car from behind, and the third is nothing worse than some chap called Walker thrust upon us down the years.

Non event

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:02 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
First was a slip of the tongue, the second was clearly meant to be you cant tell the identity of a driver by looking at the car from behind, and the third is nothing worse than some chap called Walker thrust upon us down the years.

Non event

So, 'You can't tell it's Massa because the Mercedes doesn't let you know it's a Mercedes' should be interpreted as, "You can't tell it's a Williams because Mercedes don't have identification on the rear wing"? I didn't even mention that it was quite clearly a Williams from the onboard footage because it turned left in front of Vettel and showed its colours to the following Ferrari driver.

If it was a slip of the tongue, the co-commentator didn't pick up on it and Brundle didn't correct himself. It wouldn't be like that on MotoGP!

Your last comment is telling because I personally think Murray Walker was a bumbling old fool for most of his time on BBC F1 commentary and one of the things I always wished they would get rid of.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:04 pm 

It's just a few minor verbal slips. Personally I do that sort of thing all the time in normal conversation. Also take into account that live broadcasters usually have the producer talking in their ear while they are trying to talk themselves. Brundle's judgement is still pretty sound most of the time (except when it comes to Jolyon Palmer) and that is the most important thing.

I'm more concerned that I only actually noticed one of those three errors!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:11 pm 

Its understandable, he spent many years working with Murray Walker.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:12 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Non event

So, 'You can't tell it's Massa because the Mercedes doesn't let you know it's a Mercedes' should be interpreted as, "You can't tell it's a Williams because Mercedes don't have identification on the rear wing"? I didn't even mention that it was quite clearly a Williams from the onboard footage because it turned left in front of Vettel and showed its colours to the following Ferrari driver.

If it was a slip of the tongue, the co-commentator didn't pick up on it and Brundle didn't correct himself. It wouldn't be like that on MotoGP!

Your last comment is telling because I personally think Murray Walker was a bumbling old fool for most of his time on BBC F1 commentary and one of the things I always wished they would get rid of.

You cant tell its Massa because no car has identification on its rear wing, as he was pointing out with the Mercedes as that was the car on show at the time of the commentary. Your slur upon Murray Walker is most distasteful too, though I deign to argue with you on that matter given your prior track record when it comes to a certain group of people.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:13 pm 

nixxxon wrote:

And for the last few years he's been stuck with a total idiot.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:15 pm 

Lojik wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

And for the last few years he's been stuck with a total idiot.

I'd say that the couple of years alongside Jonathan Legard is what REALLY would have done the damage ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:20 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Non event

re murray walker off topic.

i didnt really notice at the time, but watching back on some of the old races i was shocked how biased he was towards schuey. he made no attempt to hide it his commentaries. such delight whenever good things were happening for him and a lack of enthusiasm for anyone else. funny combo with brundle cos brundle clearly wasnt a schuey fan and would have some subtle digs at murray.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:16 pm 

he's still the best F1 commentator out there and I like the way he doe's not shout too much and has a calmer way about him

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:27 pm 

I will chuckle when commentators say wrong things but keep this in mind. How many of us could speak spontaneously about events as they occur for a couple of hours without doing the same or similar?

I was watching a Blanc Pain race a few weeks ago and a Ferrari wrecked knocking all of the front body work off and one of the commentators wondered where the engine had gone. He said it again while watching the replay and it wasn't until the third time he said it that his partner reminded him that it was a mid-engined car.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:17 pm 

Get back this guy:

Source - www.Twitter.com

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:00 am 

If you can name me one commentator for any sport who does not misspeak occasionally, you might , in one universe, have a point *cheeky grin*

If you actually listen to your friends talking they will make constant grammar and word usage mistakes... we normally just work around them cos we know what they really mean. (Unless it's an argument, and then we pick on them, no?)

Have fun :)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:20 am 

flyboy10 wrote:

No and No. Just the usual over thinking it. Even Walker made endless amount of mistakes 20 years before he retired. They are human and when you are talking constantly for hours in a sport you love - mistakes happen.

Happens in all sports.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:12 am 

People often underestimate the effects of slight dehydration (on Brits, who are usually wet and cold anyway). It does that sort of thing to you, and it was hot there.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:34 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Get back this guy:

Source - http://www.Twitter.com

Now there's a proper master of the bungle :lol:

Seriously though, I don't hold it against them unless it gets really embarrassing. It's not unimaginable to miss a few details while commentating live, and effecting a 'save' is part of good commentary.

I wouldn't want the original Star Sports crew even if it meant no commentary, some of them were truly horrible. Alex Yoong was occasionally decent but I love Karun Chandhok on commentary as the ex-driver, he'a a natural and deserves his spot.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:16 pm 

I did notice a couple of the slips..

But to be fair, he's taking in so much information (not just on screen), processing that and then deciding which information to give out.

I've always been a fan of Brundle - he's relatively impartial, tells it how it is, and I enjoy his sense of humor.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:34 am 

I could only fault him for using the "Bob Hope and no hope" joke x(

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:52 am 

Caserole of Nonsense wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Non event

re murray walker off topic.

i didnt really notice at the time, but watching back on some of the old races i was shocked how biased he was towards schuey. he made no attempt to hide it his commentaries. such delight whenever good things were happening for him and a lack of enthusiasm for anyone else. funny combo with brundle cos brundle clearly wasnt a schuey fan and would have some subtle digs at murray.

I remember this, and was aware of it at the time, too. I watched an old interview once where Murray said he loved the period 1998-2000 as it was proper pantomime, proper drama, the mighty McLarens versus the passionate Italian underdogs. Seeing Schumacher drag the team from midfield failures to title winners gave him all the more reason to hype up the battles between them.

I know he retired before the end of 2001 but I wonder if he would've been as biased toward Schumi when he was winning every race in the seasons that followed....

I'm also sure he said he had a soft spot for Damon after he won the title in 1996 and was not apologetic for it, for a commentator who's supposed to be impartial that's as biased as it gets!

2016 Position: 17th (2824 points)

#KeepFightingMichael
#JB17

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:15 pm 

nixxxon wrote:

Anything can happen in the commentary box, and it usually does.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:07 am 

The worlds toughest audience - F1 fans.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:03 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
I will chuckle when commentators say wrong things but keep this in mind. How many of us could speak spontaneously about events as they occur for a couple of hours without doing the same or similar?

I was watching a Blanc Pain race a few weeks ago and a Ferrari wrecked knocking all of the front body work off and one of the commentators wondered where the engine had gone. He said it again while watching the replay and it wasn't until the third time he said it that his partner reminded him that it was a mid-engined car.

:lol: :lol: :lol: