planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:46 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 5299
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on a few mistakes Martin Brundle made today.

He was saying that Lewis in the McLaren (sic) had an advantage with his tyres over Vettel in the Ferrari.

Then he was saying that Vettel did well to tell it was Massa he'd caught up to because you can't really see any advertising on the rear wing of the Mercedes (sic)

And just now on the paddock show he thought he was in Monaco, saying effectively, "When did you ever see a Red Bull so far behind at Monaco (sic) as you did today?

Did anyone else notice any of this? Anything to be alarmed about?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 11006
flyboy10 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on a few mistakes Martin Brundle made today.

He was saying that Lewis in the McLaren (sic) had an advantage with his tyres over Vettel in the Ferrari.

Then he was saying that Vettel did well to tell it was Massa he'd caught up to because you can't really see any advertising on the rear wing of the Mercedes (sic)

And just now on the paddock show he thought he was in Monaco, saying effectively, "When did you ever see a Red Bull so far behind at Monaco (sic) as you did today?

Did anyone else notice any of this? Anything to be alarmed about?


I don't think with the Red Bull Monaco comment he was talking about this race but speculating for next fortnight.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:48 pm
Posts: 254
flyboy10 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on a few mistakes Martin Brundle made today.

He was saying that Lewis in the McLaren (sic) had an advantage with his tyres over Vettel in the Ferrari.

Then he was saying that Vettel did well to tell it was Massa he'd caught up to because you can't really see any advertising on the rear wing of the Mercedes (sic)

And just now on the paddock show he thought he was in Monaco, saying effectively, "When did you ever see a Red Bull so far behind at Monaco (sic) as you did today?

Did anyone else notice any of this? Anything to be alarmed about?

Lol:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 1823
Location: England
First was a slip of the tongue, the second was clearly meant to be you cant tell the identity of a driver by looking at the car from behind, and the third is nothing worse than some chap called Walker thrust upon us down the years.

Non event

_________________
http://tsatr.mooo.com
The Sun and The Rain - The reluctant runner.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 5299
Flash2k11 wrote:
First was a slip of the tongue, the second was clearly meant to be you cant tell the identity of a driver by looking at the car from behind, and the third is nothing worse than some chap called Walker thrust upon us down the years.

Non event

So, 'You can't tell it's Massa because the Mercedes doesn't let you know it's a Mercedes' should be interpreted as, "You can't tell it's a Williams because Mercedes don't have identification on the rear wing"? I didn't even mention that it was quite clearly a Williams from the onboard footage because it turned left in front of Vettel and showed its colours to the following Ferrari driver.

If it was a slip of the tongue, the co-commentator didn't pick up on it and Brundle didn't correct himself. It wouldn't be like that on MotoGP!

Your last comment is telling because I personally think Murray Walker was a bumbling old fool for most of his time on BBC F1 commentary and one of the things I always wished they would get rid of.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2387
Location: UK
It's just a few minor verbal slips. Personally I do that sort of thing all the time in normal conversation. Also take into account that live broadcasters usually have the producer talking in their ear while they are trying to talk themselves. Brundle's judgement is still pretty sound most of the time (except when it comes to Jolyon Palmer) and that is the most important thing.

I'm more concerned that I only actually noticed one of those three errors!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:08 pm
Posts: 3767
Its understandable, he spent many years working with Murray Walker.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 1823
Location: England
flyboy10 wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
First was a slip of the tongue, the second was clearly meant to be you cant tell the identity of a driver by looking at the car from behind, and the third is nothing worse than some chap called Walker thrust upon us down the years.

Non event

So, 'You can't tell it's Massa because the Mercedes doesn't let you know it's a Mercedes' should be interpreted as, "You can't tell it's a Williams because Mercedes don't have identification on the rear wing"? I didn't even mention that it was quite clearly a Williams from the onboard footage because it turned left in front of Vettel and showed its colours to the following Ferrari driver.

If it was a slip of the tongue, the co-commentator didn't pick up on it and Brundle didn't correct himself. It wouldn't be like that on MotoGP!

Your last comment is telling because I personally think Murray Walker was a bumbling old fool for most of his time on BBC F1 commentary and one of the things I always wished they would get rid of.


You cant tell its Massa because no car has identification on its rear wing, as he was pointing out with the Mercedes as that was the car on show at the time of the commentary. Your slur upon Murray Walker is most distasteful too, though I deign to argue with you on that matter given your prior track record when it comes to a certain group of people.

_________________
http://tsatr.mooo.com
The Sun and The Rain - The reluctant runner.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 996
Location: London
nixxxon wrote:
Its understandable, he spent many years working with Murray Walker.


And for the last few years he's been stuck with a total idiot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2387
Location: UK
Lojik wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Its understandable, he spent many years working with Murray Walker.


And for the last few years he's been stuck with a total idiot.

I'd say that the couple of years alongside Jonathan Legard is what REALLY would have done the damage ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:46 pm
Posts: 194
flyboy10 wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
First was a slip of the tongue, the second was clearly meant to be you cant tell the identity of a driver by looking at the car from behind, and the third is nothing worse than some chap called Walker thrust upon us down the years.

Non event

So, 'You can't tell it's Massa because the Mercedes doesn't let you know it's a Mercedes' should be interpreted as, "You can't tell it's a Williams because Mercedes don't have identification on the rear wing"? I didn't even mention that it was quite clearly a Williams from the onboard footage because it turned left in front of Vettel and showed its colours to the following Ferrari driver.

If it was a slip of the tongue, the co-commentator didn't pick up on it and Brundle didn't correct himself. It wouldn't be like that on MotoGP!

Your last comment is telling because I personally think Murray Walker was a bumbling old fool for most of his time on BBC F1 commentary and one of the things I always wished they would get rid of.


re murray walker off topic.

i didnt really notice at the time, but watching back on some of the old races i was shocked how biased he was towards schuey. he made no attempt to hide it his commentaries. such delight whenever good things were happening for him and a lack of enthusiasm for anyone else. funny combo with brundle cos brundle clearly wasnt a schuey fan and would have some subtle digs at murray.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 1317
he's still the best F1 commentator out there and I like the way he doe's not shout too much and has a calmer way about him


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4296
I will chuckle when commentators say wrong things but keep this in mind. How many of us could speak spontaneously about events as they occur for a couple of hours without doing the same or similar?

I was watching a Blanc Pain race a few weeks ago and a Ferrari wrecked knocking all of the front body work off and one of the commentators wondered where the engine had gone. He said it again while watching the replay and it wasn't until the third time he said it that his partner reminded him that it was a mid-engined car.

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 4567
Location: Mumbai, India
Get back this guy:

Image
Source - www.Twitter.com

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:20 am
Posts: 66
Location: London, UK
If you can name me one commentator for any sport who does not misspeak occasionally, you might , in one universe, have a point *cheeky grin*

If you actually listen to your friends talking they will make constant grammar and word usage mistakes... we normally just work around them cos we know what they really mean. (Unless it's an argument, and then we pick on them, no?)

Have fun :)

_________________
β€œThe bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.”
― Richard Bach, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:54 pm
Posts: 881
flyboy10 wrote:

Did anyone else notice any of this? Anything to be alarmed about?


No and No. Just the usual over thinking it. Even Walker made endless amount of mistakes 20 years before he retired. They are human and when you are talking constantly for hours in a sport you love - mistakes happen.

Happens in all sports.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7131
People often underestimate the effects of slight dehydration (on Brits, who are usually wet and cold anyway). It does that sort of thing to you, and it was hot there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:39 am
Posts: 958
UnlikeUday wrote:
Get back this guy:

Image
Source - http://www.Twitter.com


Now there's a proper master of the bungle :lol:

Seriously though, I don't hold it against them unless it gets really embarrassing. It's not unimaginable to miss a few details while commentating live, and effecting a 'save' is part of good commentary.

I wouldn't want the original Star Sports crew even if it meant no commentary, some of them were truly horrible. Alex Yoong was occasionally decent but I love Karun Chandhok on commentary as the ex-driver, he'a a natural and deserves his spot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:28 pm
Posts: 619
I did notice a couple of the slips..

But to be fair, he's taking in so much information (not just on screen), processing that and then deciding which information to give out.

I've always been a fan of Brundle - he's relatively impartial, tells it how it is, and I enjoy his sense of humor.

_________________
Should I grow a beard?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 8890
Location: Ireland
I could only fault him for using the "Bob Hope and no hope" joke x(

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1697
Caserole of Nonsense wrote:
flyboy10 wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
First was a slip of the tongue, the second was clearly meant to be you cant tell the identity of a driver by looking at the car from behind, and the third is nothing worse than some chap called Walker thrust upon us down the years.

Non event

So, 'You can't tell it's Massa because the Mercedes doesn't let you know it's a Mercedes' should be interpreted as, "You can't tell it's a Williams because Mercedes don't have identification on the rear wing"? I didn't even mention that it was quite clearly a Williams from the onboard footage because it turned left in front of Vettel and showed its colours to the following Ferrari driver.

If it was a slip of the tongue, the co-commentator didn't pick up on it and Brundle didn't correct himself. It wouldn't be like that on MotoGP!

Your last comment is telling because I personally think Murray Walker was a bumbling old fool for most of his time on BBC F1 commentary and one of the things I always wished they would get rid of.


re murray walker off topic.

i didnt really notice at the time, but watching back on some of the old races i was shocked how biased he was towards schuey. he made no attempt to hide it his commentaries. such delight whenever good things were happening for him and a lack of enthusiasm for anyone else. funny combo with brundle cos brundle clearly wasnt a schuey fan and would have some subtle digs at murray.

I remember this, and was aware of it at the time, too. I watched an old interview once where Murray said he loved the period 1998-2000 as it was proper pantomime, proper drama, the mighty McLarens versus the passionate Italian underdogs. Seeing Schumacher drag the team from midfield failures to title winners gave him all the more reason to hype up the battles between them.

I know he retired before the end of 2001 but I wonder if he would've been as biased toward Schumi when he was winning every race in the seasons that followed....

I'm also sure he said he had a soft spot for Damon after he won the title in 1996 and was not apologetic for it, for a commentator who's supposed to be impartial that's as biased as it gets!

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:09 pm
Posts: 455
nixxxon wrote:
Its understandable, he spent many years working with Murray Walker.


Anything can happen in the commentary box, and it usually does.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 am
Posts: 94
The worlds toughest audience - F1 fans.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 1154
Location: Los Angeles, California
RaggedMan wrote:
I will chuckle when commentators say wrong things but keep this in mind. How many of us could speak spontaneously about events as they occur for a couple of hours without doing the same or similar?

I was watching a Blanc Pain race a few weeks ago and a Ferrari wrecked knocking all of the front body work off and one of the commentators wondered where the engine had gone. He said it again while watching the replay and it wasn't until the third time he said it that his partner reminded him that it was a mid-engined car.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:08 am
Posts: 109
You're calling the bloke out for making 2 mistakes ?!

Very tough gig that he handles better than anyone IMO, non-issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:36 pm
Posts: 31
MB is the main reason i watch Sky F1 these days. His insight is still good. He makes a few mistakes but I think anyone would doing his job. The best bit of free practice is his absolute joy of being out on the track watching everyone up close.

Also on the subject of commentators at least no one out there (in the uk at least) is as bad as Jonathan 'Brawn-from-Brawn' 'Problems There' Legard anymore. No matter which channel you choose, at least it's good!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:21 pm
Posts: 135
Flash2k11 wrote:
First was a slip of the tongue, the second was clearly meant to be you cant tell the identity of a driver by looking at the car from behind, and the third is nothing worse than some chap called Walker thrust upon us down the years.

Non event

Not unless hes hiding a medical condition and i think this is maybe what the op is referring to

_________________
Then he said to his disciples, β€œThe time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it. Luke 17 22


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm
Posts: 849
I sincerely hope we see no more of him. The sooner he is no longer in front of the camera or offering commentary the world will be a better place.

Why do I say this? Because no one has touched on this aspect, but as lead commentator he leads the flow and tone of the commentary of the entire race. And next time you experience Brundle, note that he focuses on the negative, constantly referring to who's unhappy or feels aggrieved. The net result is that for the entire race it's a tone of cynicism and negativity, instead of making things brighter.

Racing is a celebration of life, something wonderful and glorious, not something that leads to bickering or a lack of joy.

_________________
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 11006
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
I sincerely hope we see no more of him. The sooner he is no longer in front of the camera or offering commentary the world will be a better place.

Why do I say this? Because no one has touched on this aspect, but as lead commentator he leads the flow and tone of the commentary of the entire race. And next time you experience Brundle, note that he focuses on the negative, constantly referring to who's unhappy or feels aggrieved. The net result is that for the entire race it's a tone of cynicism and negativity, instead of making things brighter.

Racing is a celebration of life, something wonderful and glorious, not something that leads to bickering or a lack of joy.


Brundle isn't the lead commentator.... Are you sure you're not thinking of Croft?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 1317
crofty and ted do talk smelly stuff in the practice sessions constantly


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:06 pm
Posts: 192
mikeyg123 wrote:
Brundle isn't the lead commentator.... Are you sure you're not thinking of Croft?


To be fair, Simon Lazenby usually introduces them as "Commentary comes from Martin Brundle and David Croft" (in that order).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 11006
Lord Crc wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Brundle isn't the lead commentator.... Are you sure you're not thinking of Croft?


To be fair, Simon Lazenby usually introduces them as "Commentary comes from Martin Brundle and David Croft" (in that order).


Regardless Croft is lead commentator. As Blinky pits it he leads the flow and tone of the commentary the entire race. Its his job to do most of the talking.

Bundle is the colour commentator. It's his job to tell us why what we are seeing is happening.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 5299
Lord Crc wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Brundle isn't the lead commentator.... Are you sure you're not thinking of Croft?


To be fair, Simon Lazenby usually introduces them as "Commentary comes from Martin Brundle and David Croft" (in that order).

That's a TV broadcasting thing. They name the person who is going to speak as a cue for him to start talking. If they said, "And here come our commentary, bah blah blah Martin Brundle." it doesn't make sense. It's conventional to say, "Blah blah blah blah David Croft" and then you hear David Croft's voice. He's the lead commentator.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2387
Location: UK
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
I sincerely hope we see no more of him. The sooner he is no longer in front of the camera or offering commentary the world will be a better place.

Why do I say this? Because no one has touched on this aspect, but as lead commentator he leads the flow and tone of the commentary of the entire race. And next time you experience Brundle, note that he focuses on the negative, constantly referring to who's unhappy or feels aggrieved. The net result is that for the entire race it's a tone of cynicism and negativity, instead of making things brighter.

Racing is a celebration of life, something wonderful and glorious, not something that leads to bickering or a lack of joy.

As others have said Brundle is not the lead commentator, though he did do the role for a year on the BBC. But I think the point you raise is why I never took to him as a lead commentator, his tone of voice never quite captured the speed and excitement of a motor race. An excitable loudmouth backed up by someone who actually knows what they are talking about works much better, and there is no one better than Brundle in that back-up role in my opinion.

Plus here in Britain, cynicism and negativity are part of the national culture ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:31 am
Posts: 64
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
I sincerely hope we see no more of him. The sooner he is no longer in front of the camera or offering commentary the world will be a better place.

Why do I say this? Because no one has touched on this aspect, but as lead commentator he leads the flow and tone of the commentary of the entire race. And next time you experience Brundle, note that he focuses on the negative, constantly referring to who's unhappy or feels aggrieved. The net result is that for the entire race it's a tone of cynicism and negativity, instead of making things brighter.

Racing is a celebration of life, something wonderful and glorious, not something that leads to bickering or a lack of joy.

Blinky McSquinty is one the most balanced and thoughtful contributors here but I will say with complete sincerity that I disagree completely with his views on this occasion.

I see Brundle as close to the ideal F1 commentator. He is clearly passionate about the sport and its heritage, he remains current, as in racing now and then and driving current F1 cars. I find his demeanour almost always positive. I love that he takes the trouble, during every Grand Prix weekend, to go to some remote corner of the track and provide the audience with insightful and enthusiastic comment on aspects of the cars' behaviour and the drivers' approach.

I, too, am tempted to the view that Mr McSquinty was referring to David Croft.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Black_Flag_11, Clarky, Ennis, Fiki, Google Adsense [Bot], lamo, Option or Prime, Siao7, SmoothRide, Zoue and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group