planetf1.com

It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Renault & Palmer
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:31 pm 

Glasnost wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
I dont think Alonso will gain much with this move. From a midfield underpowered car to another a midfield underpowered car.

You have to think about the bigger picture. Do you really think that with Hamilton and Vettel both performing at a high level (and both younger than Alonso) there will be an available seat at either top team next year? Ask yourself this question; would either team be better off teaming Alonso with their top driver instead of Raikkonen/Bottas? I think the answer is obviously "no". It has nothing to do with his skill set; only the fact that he and the other top driver would hurt each other's chances at winning the WDC while the other top team would maximize their top driver's chances.

Most likely, Renault will be the logical choice for Alonso next year. I wouldn't be so quick to write them off either. I actually think they will overtake Red Bull by next year and potentially close up to the top two shortly after that. They are the works team here and their current car is strong enough that Alonso could probably get a couple of podium finishes in it this year. Massive engine upgrades are coming in the very near future...

I can't imagine Hulk enjoying the prospect of Alonso coming back on board with Renault. Especially not after a year of cementing his place as the leed driver, given his comments of driving for a works team being a dream of his i'd expect that he's quite happy at the moment.
I think of the current field Carlos Saints or even vandorne would be a better fit.
Though i doubt they could snaffle them on a contract.

When you drive for a factory team you can't expect to have easy teammates.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:56 am 

pokerman wrote:
Glasnost wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
I dont think Alonso will gain much with this move. From a midfield underpowered car to another a midfield underpowered car.

You have to think about the bigger picture. Do you really think that with Hamilton and Vettel both performing at a high level (and both younger than Alonso) there will be an available seat at either top team next year? Ask yourself this question; would either team be better off teaming Alonso with their top driver instead of Raikkonen/Bottas? I think the answer is obviously "no". It has nothing to do with his skill set; only the fact that he and the other top driver would hurt each other's chances at winning the WDC while the other top team would maximize their top driver's chances.

Most likely, Renault will be the logical choice for Alonso next year. I wouldn't be so quick to write them off either. I actually think they will overtake Red Bull by next year and potentially close up to the top two shortly after that. They are the works team here and their current car is strong enough that Alonso could probably get a couple of podium finishes in it this year. Massive engine upgrades are coming in the very near future...

I can't imagine Hulk enjoying the prospect of Alonso coming back on board with Renault. Especially not after a year of cementing his place as the leed driver, given his comments of driving for a works team being a dream of his i'd expect that he's quite happy at the moment.
I think of the current field Carlos Saints or even vandorne would be a better fit.
Though i doubt they could snaffle them on a contract.

When you drive for a factory team you can't expect to have easy teammates.

Oh you're absolutely right. But that wasn't my point, If I were him I'd be very happy with my position in the team and very much unhappy about the prospect of the likes of Alonso usurping my position.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:10 am 

Sainz to Renault if they can't get Alonso.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:43 pm 

Multi69 wrote:

He might still be under contract to Red Bull for next year also there might be an opening at Red Bull for 2019 so he might see it worthwhile to stick around anyway.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:13 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Multi69 wrote:

He might still be under contract to Red Bull for next year also there might be an opening at Red Bull for 2019 so he might see it worthwhile to stick around anyway.

Seeing as how they didn't move any of their other junior drivers up to replace Kyvat this year my guess would be that that they want to hold on to Sainz in case Ricciardo moves on. The MO so far has been to let the cycle churn at Toro Rosso to keep fresh and promising talent involved while the Red Bull drivers are stable and let their losses come from there when one of those 2 decides to retire or move on.