planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:53 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stoffel Vandoorne
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 3213
Another solid race weekend. Pit stop error cost him though as he got stuck behind slower cars but with a lot more power so he couldn't even attempt to get himself back out of trouble. This is where it sucks to be powered by Honda, any other power unit and the car advantage he had and the pace he had would have been enough to get back in front but alas.

Alonso's a boss around there so all things considered not too bad. He's been closer recently than a few of Alonso's team mates but doesn't seem to be getting much recognition for it, maybe everyone's expectation was just too high.

Trulli,JB and Hamilton being the exceptions to the above. (Trulli because of his one-lap pace obviously).

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stoffel Vandoorne
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:54 pm
Posts: 23
Vandoorne doing much better the last couple of races, being much closer to Alonso and quicker in some sessions. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stoffel Vandoorne
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9394
Location: Ireland
RLKD wrote:
Vandoorne doing much better the last couple of races, being much closer to Alonso and quicker in some sessions. :thumbup:

Certainly the better driver this weekend and he deserved a points finish

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stoffel Vandoorne
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
RLKD wrote:
Vandoorne doing much better the last couple of races, being much closer to Alonso and quicker in some sessions. :thumbup:

Apparently Boullier said that Vandoorne is now only 1 tenth off Alonso.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stoffel Vandoorne
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4211
Location: Michigan, USA
pokerman wrote:
RLKD wrote:
Vandoorne doing much better the last couple of races, being much closer to Alonso and quicker in some sessions. :thumbup:

Apparently Boullier said that Vandoorne is now only 1 tenth off Alonso.

If true, 1 tenth off Alonso would put him safely in the upper half of the grid...

... and perhaps faster than Vettel? :twisted:

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stoffel Vandoorne
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10430
He had a great weekend. Happy to see he seems to be getting used to his car and F1 itself. Good qualifying (hampered by loss of power in Q3 though), overtaking some other drivers (Sainz most notably?) on Monza with a McHonda - that's good stuff.

But once again I find myself scratching my head thinking about McLaren's "strategy" for him this race. Not going for the obvious (well, to me anyway) undercut on Kvyat, going long on the super softs, losing time in the process - why? Just pit him in the window with the others around him?

_________________
Supporting all drivers with surnames starting with "V".

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stoffel Vandoorne
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
mds wrote:
He had a great weekend. Happy to see he seems to be getting used to his car and F1 itself. Good qualifying (hampered by loss of power in Q3 though), overtaking some other drivers (Sainz most notably?) on Monza with a McHonda - that's good stuff.

But once again I find myself scratching my head thinking about McLaren's "strategy" for him this race. Not going for the obvious (well, to me anyway) undercut on Kvyat, going long on the super softs, losing time in the process - why? Just pit him in the window with the others around him?

Did he not have yet another slow pit stop?

This seems to be quite common for McLaren this season almost like they've let their standards drop?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stoffel Vandoorne
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 3213
Oh yeah the pit stops and strategy have been pretty poor for 3 seasons now. Definitely an afterthought because of the engine situation but even under Ron it was sloppy.

Agree about Stoff's last few weekends and yet another wonky strategy call, he isn't getting nearly enough credit for his increased performance since Monaco.

Here's the EB article Poker mentioned....http://en.f1i.com/magazine/magazine-fea ... ers.html/7


STOFFEL VANDOORNE

“The work that we have been doing with Stoffel and its engineers for the last few weeks is starting to pay off, said Boullier speaking to Belgian TV broadcaster RTBF in Austria. Each time he enters the circuit, he's right on track.

“A lot of people forget that it takes some time for young drivers to adapt to the demands of F1, especially in terms of braking. It took Vettel six months at Toro Rosso, same for Verstappen, Ricciardo, and others who went through the same learning process before graduating to Red Bull fully prepared.

"The tricky thing for Stoffel is that he is racing for one of the most high-profile teams on the grid and alongside one of the best drivers. But when the car is delivering, he is only one tenth adrift.”

...........................


If true that would make Stoff the second quickest team mate for Alonso after Lewis.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stoffel Vandoorne
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
Lotus49 wrote:
Oh yeah the pit stops and strategy have been pretty poor for 3 seasons now. Definitely an afterthought because of the engine situation but even under Ron it was sloppy.

Agree about Stoff's last few weekends and yet another wonky strategy call, he isn't getting nearly enough credit for his increased performance since Monaco.

Here's the EB article Poker mentioned....http://en.f1i.com/magazine/magazine-fea ... ers.html/7


STOFFEL VANDOORNE

“The work that we have been doing with Stoffel and its engineers for the last few weeks is starting to pay off, said Boullier speaking to Belgian TV broadcaster RTBF in Austria. Each time he enters the circuit, he's right on track.

“A lot of people forget that it takes some time for young drivers to adapt to the demands of F1, especially in terms of braking. It took Vettel six months at Toro Rosso, same for Verstappen, Ricciardo, and others who went through the same learning process before graduating to Red Bull fully prepared.

"The tricky thing for Stoffel is that he is racing for one of the most high-profile teams on the grid and alongside one of the best drivers. But when the car is delivering, he is only one tenth adrift.”

...........................


If true that would make Stoff the second quickest team mate for Alonso after Lewis.

Interesting what's being said about the braking, Montoya said that was the hardest thing for him to learn in F1 as well.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stoffel Vandoorne
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 3213
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Oh yeah the pit stops and strategy have been pretty poor for 3 seasons now. Definitely an afterthought because of the engine situation but even under Ron it was sloppy.

Agree about Stoff's last few weekends and yet another wonky strategy call, he isn't getting nearly enough credit for his increased performance since Monaco.

Here's the EB article Poker mentioned....http://en.f1i.com/magazine/magazine-fea ... ers.html/7


STOFFEL VANDOORNE

“The work that we have been doing with Stoffel and its engineers for the last few weeks is starting to pay off, said Boullier speaking to Belgian TV broadcaster RTBF in Austria. Each time he enters the circuit, he's right on track.

“A lot of people forget that it takes some time for young drivers to adapt to the demands of F1, especially in terms of braking. It took Vettel six months at Toro Rosso, same for Verstappen, Ricciardo, and others who went through the same learning process before graduating to Red Bull fully prepared.

"The tricky thing for Stoffel is that he is racing for one of the most high-profile teams on the grid and alongside one of the best drivers. But when the car is delivering, he is only one tenth adrift.”

...........................


If true that would make Stoff the second quickest team mate for Alonso after Lewis.

Interesting what's being said about the braking, Montoya said that was the hardest thing for him to learn in F1 as well.


It is yeah, they talked about it earlier in the season and that he was braking too late. Alonso was braking earlier to carry more speed through the corners and increase his exit speed because the driveability was so poor in and on exit of the corners and Stoff just braked like he was in GP2 still or last years car and couldn't carry the same speed and get back on the throttle early enough.

I think in a more normal behaving car the gap wouldn't have been so dramatic. Since they solved that and Stoff has made some adjustments to his braking we've seen the gap halve and then some. I think he'd have beaten Alonso cleanly in GB,Spa and Monza pretty easily to be honest. Baku was close but poor strategy and Austria apparently he was too cautious through the last 2 corners.

If they're both there next year I think we'll see what we were expecting to see this year and a much better battle.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stoffel Vandoorne
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Oh yeah the pit stops and strategy have been pretty poor for 3 seasons now. Definitely an afterthought because of the engine situation but even under Ron it was sloppy.

Agree about Stoff's last few weekends and yet another wonky strategy call, he isn't getting nearly enough credit for his increased performance since Monaco.

Here's the EB article Poker mentioned....http://en.f1i.com/magazine/magazine-fea ... ers.html/7


STOFFEL VANDOORNE

“The work that we have been doing with Stoffel and its engineers for the last few weeks is starting to pay off, said Boullier speaking to Belgian TV broadcaster RTBF in Austria. Each time he enters the circuit, he's right on track.

“A lot of people forget that it takes some time for young drivers to adapt to the demands of F1, especially in terms of braking. It took Vettel six months at Toro Rosso, same for Verstappen, Ricciardo, and others who went through the same learning process before graduating to Red Bull fully prepared.

"The tricky thing for Stoffel is that he is racing for one of the most high-profile teams on the grid and alongside one of the best drivers. But when the car is delivering, he is only one tenth adrift.”

...........................


If true that would make Stoff the second quickest team mate for Alonso after Lewis.

Interesting what's being said about the braking, Montoya said that was the hardest thing for him to learn in F1 as well.


It is yeah, they talked about it earlier in the season and that he was braking too late. Alonso was braking earlier to carry more speed through the corners and increase his exit speed because the driveability was so poor in and on exit of the corners and Stoff just braked like he was in GP2 still or last years car and couldn't carry the same speed and get back on the throttle early enough.

I think in a more normal behaving car the gap wouldn't have been so dramatic. Since they solved that and Stoff has made some adjustments to his braking we've seen the gap halve and then some. I think he'd have beaten Alonso cleanly in GB,Spa and Monza pretty easily to be honest. Baku was close but poor strategy and Austria apparently he was too cautious through the last 2 corners.

If they're both there next year I think we'll see what we were expecting to see this year and a much better battle.

I think with Montoya he wasn't braking late enough which I think is common for new drivers, Vandoorne's problem seems to be different, maybe that relates to the Honda engine itself if it lacks grunt?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stoffel Vandoorne
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 3213
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Oh yeah the pit stops and strategy have been pretty poor for 3 seasons now. Definitely an afterthought because of the engine situation but even under Ron it was sloppy.

Agree about Stoff's last few weekends and yet another wonky strategy call, he isn't getting nearly enough credit for his increased performance since Monaco.

Here's the EB article Poker mentioned....http://en.f1i.com/magazine/magazine-fea ... ers.html/7


STOFFEL VANDOORNE

“The work that we have been doing with Stoffel and its engineers for the last few weeks is starting to pay off, said Boullier speaking to Belgian TV broadcaster RTBF in Austria. Each time he enters the circuit, he's right on track.

“A lot of people forget that it takes some time for young drivers to adapt to the demands of F1, especially in terms of braking. It took Vettel six months at Toro Rosso, same for Verstappen, Ricciardo, and others who went through the same learning process before graduating to Red Bull fully prepared.

"The tricky thing for Stoffel is that he is racing for one of the most high-profile teams on the grid and alongside one of the best drivers. But when the car is delivering, he is only one tenth adrift.”

...........................


If true that would make Stoff the second quickest team mate for Alonso after Lewis.

Interesting what's being said about the braking, Montoya said that was the hardest thing for him to learn in F1 as well.


It is yeah, they talked about it earlier in the season and that he was braking too late. Alonso was braking earlier to carry more speed through the corners and increase his exit speed because the driveability was so poor in and on exit of the corners and Stoff just braked like he was in GP2 still or last years car and couldn't carry the same speed and get back on the throttle early enough.

I think in a more normal behaving car the gap wouldn't have been so dramatic. Since they solved that and Stoff has made some adjustments to his braking we've seen the gap halve and then some. I think he'd have beaten Alonso cleanly in GB,Spa and Monza pretty easily to be honest. Baku was close but poor strategy and Austria apparently he was too cautious through the last 2 corners.

If they're both there next year I think we'll see what we were expecting to see this year and a much better battle.

I think with Montoya he wasn't braking late enough which I think is common for new drivers, Vandoorne's problem seems to be different, maybe that relates to the Honda engine itself if it lacks grunt?


I'm not entirely sure but I think it must be either these regs or the state of that Honda unit before Spain aye (Or a mix of both) because he had no problem with braking late in last years car at Bahrain, he was very good. And I've never heard of braking too late being such a problem before but it was just costing him too much time this year apparently.

Seems cured now whatever it was.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: purchville and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group