planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:26 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
To be fair, if the chance is there for him to maximise his preparation, then all power to him for taking the opportunity. Given his backing, he is going to be around for a good while yet wether we like it or not, so hopefully he can build on his showing yesterday and develop into a good driver in the future.

Also I think it needs to be pointed out that he has not been responsible for crashing into other cars, his taking his time to learn and he's not a problem on the track, I give him some slack.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:54 pm 

As a Williams fan.. I'm very happy to eat my words and early criticism of Lance.. he's doing a great job atm.
Good on him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:11 pm 

WORSE DRIVER IN F1 FINISHES THIRD. YEAH YEAH YEAH OH CANADA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:15 pm 

spiritone wrote:

Palmer is the worst driver in F1, so not really!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:23 pm 

Good man Lance! I'm actually gutted he didn't manage to hold on for 2nd

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:26 pm 

Can this thread be locked now? 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:38 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

I hope so. It was a great drive today, on a difficult track where he could have easily binned it under pressure. He will need to keep it up to fully stop the critics, but today was a great step towards doing that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:40 pm 

spiritone wrote:

He would've finished 7th or 8th if not for the number of retirements and problems in front of him.
But yeah he finally performed well, and better keep like this if he wants to continue in F1.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:54 pm 

What impresses me with Stroll is the humility and maturity he's shown through all the negative comments which i'm sure he's been made aware of to a certain degree.

To me, the "Please help me" comment in Monaco reflected exactly what he is, an 18 yr old kid learning how to drive an F1 car in safety car conditions around one of the most difficult circuits on the calendar. Unlike 1 or 2 drivers of recent years, there was no pretentiousness, no blaming the car, no tantrums. Just a kid desperate for help.

He's carrying a stigma that he's a rich kids son who made it into the sport, in part anyway, via his old mans wallet but he's kept his head down, mouth shut and pickle up and got on with the job.

I hope he keeps on improving, keeps working hard, keeps a level head on his shoulders and keeps proving his detractors wrong.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:58 pm 

I agree regarding Stroll's humility and maturity. I'm becoming a fan - I just really like the guy (from afar, obviously don't know him personally). All power to him. I hope he continues on this trend of rapid improvement and it's a great day for the Stroll family.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:00 pm 

Today he was surely worth the $80m!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:19 pm 

Well done to him. For the first race weekend he's looked like F1 quality. Let's see if he can keep this up.

He has impressed me with his attitude this year. Very humble and eager to learn, with not a hint of the self-entitlement you'd expect from a billionaire's son who's had everything handed to him on a plate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:35 pm 

Well, a good driver would have been easily second today in this Williams. Massa would have been without the technical problems. A great driver would have been in for a shout for the win.

Was it a F1-worthy, good drive? - Yes!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:19 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Well, a good driver would have been easily second today in this Williams. Massa would have been without the technical problems. A great driver would have been in for a shout for the win.

Was it a F1-worthy, good drive? - Yes!

Well the youngest driver on the podium has room for improvement.

But you can't knock what he achieved today!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:57 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Or simply retitled: Congratulations to Lance Stroll.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:58 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:27 pm 

spiritone wrote:

I'm sorry, but your unnecessarily combative tone is just making you seem like a dick. Now that he's doing well nobody is criticizing him; before, his performance was very much worthy of criticism. Enjoy that your driver has picked up the pace, and try to be as mature about it as your 18-year old countryman is.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:57 pm 

Damn it Lance. Now that is how you shut up the haters (me).

Very sorry to see him get clipped at the end there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:59 pm 

Can somebody help me out?
How did Stroll go from last to 4th?? I can not work it out, Williams didn't stack him and pitted him a lap after everybody else and he was last. I was screaming at the TV at how awful they really are letting a car drop to the back like that...About 2 actual racing laps later (in the SC mayhem) he was 4th?

Puzzling.

I like Danny Ric, but if ever there was a time I wanted a car to have a failure from the lead it was today. Stroll winning would have been the biggest upset ever.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:21 am 

lamo wrote:
How did Stroll go from last to 4th?? I can not work it out, Williams didn't stack him and pitted him a lap after everybody else and he was last. I was screaming at the TV at how awful they really are letting a car drop to the back like that...About 2 actual racing laps later (in the SC mayhem) he was 4th?

Puzzling.

I like Danny Ric, but if ever there was a time I wanted a car to have a failure from the lead it was today. Stroll winning would have been the biggest upset ever.
I thought he came out 7th after his stop (was quite surprised at the time, as I'd expected him to fall to the rear).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:25 am 

tootsie323 wrote:
lamo wrote:

Puzzling.

I thought he came out 7th after his stop (was quite surprised at the time, as I'd expected him to fall to the rear).

How could he come out 7th pitting in the train? I saw him exit the pits into clean air and everybody else must have been in a SC train at that time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:45 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
What impresses me with Stroll is the humility and maturity he's shown through all the negative comments which i'm sure he's been made aware of to a certain degree.

To me, the "Please help me" comment in Monaco reflected exactly what he is, an 18 yr old kid learning how to drive an F1 car in safety car conditions around one of the most difficult circuits on the calendar. Unlike 1 or 2 drivers of recent years, there was no pretentiousness, no blaming the car, no tantrums. Just a kid desperate for help.

He's carrying a stigma that he's a rich kids son who made it into the sport, in part anyway, via his old mans wallet but he's kept his head down, mouth shut and pickle up and got on with the job.

I hope he keeps on improving, keeps working hard, keeps a level head on his shoulders and keeps proving his detractors wrong.

Brilliant post :thumbup:

1. Jacques Villeneuve, Williams Renault: 1:29.369
2. Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Williams Renault: 1:31.123
3. Michael Schumacher, Ferrari: 1:31.472
4. David Coulthard, McLaren Mercedes: 1:31.531

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:46 am 

lamo wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
lamo wrote:

Puzzling.

How could he come out 7th pitting in the train? I saw him exit the pits into clean air and everybody else must have been in a SC train at that time.

I think perhaps the train hadn't fully formed yet. He was definitely in 7th as I recall Crofty saying it would be awful for Stroll and then being surprised when he came out in 7th place.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:50 am 

That makes sense, crofty lead me down the wrong path. Odd that it hadn't completely formed but it does take a while to form these days as they run at VSC speeds to catch it and VSC speeds isn't hugely slower than SC speed.

SC was clocking 2m 50 laps when race laps were 1m 45. VSC is about half way between the two so that would take a while to get the train. Williams got lucky there though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:17 am 

Exediron wrote:
spiritone wrote:

I'm sorry, but your unnecessarily combative tone is just making you seem like a dick. Now that he's doing well nobody is criticizing him; before, his performance was very much worthy of criticism. Enjoy that your driver has picked up the pace, and try to be as mature about it as your 18-year old countryman is.

Well said.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:06 am 

Bigbazz wrote:
spiritone wrote:

Palmer is the worst driver in F1, so not really!

Can't you let us Canadians have our moment in the sun? But yes, I do wish JP was doing better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:12 am 

Very happy for stroll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:24 am 

Stroll has achieved what Hulk hasn't been to all this while in F1.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:32 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

8O

Wow, that's true. I mean it's funny, but at the same time it just underscores how unlucky poor Hulk has been. Over a hundred races, and the cards have never come up his way. Poor guy!

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:13 am 

mcdo wrote:
Good man Lance! I'm actually gutted he didn't manage to hold on for 2nd

I don't think he should, nor would be giving a toss about P2 or P3. He's on the podium, that's the thing that matters here, that what goes in the statistics. If it would have been for P1/P2, then yes, but P2/P3 doesn't matter too much.

Anyway, well done to Lance. Canada was a good, albeit cautious and not the fastest drive. Yesterday was a very good drive. Maybe if he had covered the inside line when Ricciardo came for him, he could have actually won it but he would have had a lot of pressure from behind. Kudos to him. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:49 am 

Exediron wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

8O

Wow, that's true. I mean it's funny, but at the same time it just underscores how unlucky poor Hulk has been. Over a hundred races, and the cards have never come up his way. Poor guy!

More about how much noise has been made about him and he has under delivered, in the same car with Hulk, Perez got podiums.

If Perez a capable driver was in the other renault Hulk will look average at best right now Palmer makes him look better than he his!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:10 pm 

What he was producing was worthy of criticism. He was a pay driver, in the third best car on the grid (at the time) and underperformed. Forget his age, forget his experience. This is meant to be the pinnacle of the sport and he should be judged as such.

I'm happy to say though, he has well and truly shown he can and will make it.

His last two race weekends have been quite magnificent. Well done Lance, you're turning this critic into a fan. His Baku drive was genuinely brilliant. It was a race where calm heads would always prevail. Ricciardo was 17th after 6 laps, and Bottas a lap down and they end up being the quinella. Both very calm people (except for the Shoey stuff. I think Valterri needs to relax and enjoy a drink once in a while), and here's STR showing that he belongs. One hot day doesn't make a summer, but if he keeps putting himself in a position to benefit from front runners issues, he'll go a long way in his Williams career. Bravo Lance!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:26 pm 

I can't deny he had some luck in the race, but he kept out of trouble, kept his head and had a well deserved podium.

Could he go the same way as Magnussen- who knows, but he's done his confidence the world of good, so good on him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:04 pm 

Was so happy for Lance yesterday, and gutted he didn't hold onto P2. I've been very dismissive of him since pre-season testing but he may just be one of those drivers who needs to work at their game, rather than the naturally-gifted drivers out there. Confidence is huge in F1 and, irrespective whether he 'lucked in' to the podium or not, he still kept his head together when everyone else were losing theirs.

Also gutted for Massa. A win was there for the taking and a podium was a certainty.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:16 pm 

Lance Stroll.... Now officially better than Hulkenberg? :lol: :lol: ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:24 pm 

Herb wrote:
Lance Stroll.... Now officially better than Hulkenberg? :lol: :lol: ;)

LOL who would have thought? No podiums for the Hulk, One already for Billionaire Teen.

You couldn't make it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:27 pm 

I'm one of those who have been critical of Stroll's first few races, but I thought he did fantastic all weekend. Made as few mistakes as anybody in a weekend where there were plenty of opportunities to mess up. And unlike in Canada, where he stayed out of trouble and inherited a decent result because of others dropping off the road ahead of him, here he stayed out of trouble and deserved the result he got.

Saying that, he's now got to start showing a bit more consistency. All good and well having a result like that but if he fails to score in the next five/six races it kind of undoes the good work. Look at Pastor Maldonado as a great example of that: he won a race but because he was unable to deliver consistently (or even near consistently) to the best of his abilities, he ultimately found himself out of F1.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:45 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
I'm one of those who have been critical of Stroll's first few races, but I thought he did fantastic all weekend. Made as few mistakes as anybody in a weekend where there were plenty of opportunities to mess up. And unlike in Canada, where he stayed out of trouble and inherited a decent result because of others dropping off the road ahead of him, here he stayed out of trouble and deserved the result he got.

Saying that, he's now got to start showing a bit more consistency. All good and well having a result like that but if he fails to score in the next five/six races it kind of undoes the good work. Look at Pastor Maldonado as a great example of that: he won a race but because he was unable to deliver consistently (or even near consistently) to the best of his abilities, he ultimately found himself out of F1.

Yes, no more of him being half a second off Massa's pace. That is what I would define as progress from now on. He really should be close or equal to Massa, who is very average imo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:55 pm 

It's possible that it might actually take a few races for an 18 year old to get used to F1...Wild theory I know but let's consider it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:05 pm 

MISTER AGGRESSIVE IS BACK. Nice to see the tone has changed quite a bit. The reason for me being aggressive by the way is i was tired of seeing my countryman being piled on. There were alot of factors for him having a slow start and i know how it is on the internet with all the keyboard drivers loving to kick somebody when their down. Lance, being 18, has done a great job of of keeping his cool during what i am sure was a very difficult time. Williams must also take some of the blame for his slow start. They have admitted that they made a breakthrough on his setup that has made him much more comfortable. People tend to forget that there is more to driving an F1 car than just jumping into the drivers seat. For those of you that think that williams is better than red bull or force india, it's not. Paddy is making strides in getting the right tools in place and i think later in the season they will be up there with red bull.