planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Channel 4 vs Sky
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:01 pm 

Prefer the C4 presentation; which in effect is the old BBC team less Brundle. Once it goes off free to air I certainly wont be paying for Sky as I consider it sub-par. When F1 eventually goes down the road of supplying an OTT presentation, I'd like to see the current C4 production company driving it. Not least because delivering F1 content is their primary function unlike say Sky. I also believe they have the passion for F1 which Sky lacks. More than happy to pay for that service.

Didn't watch Sky at all this weekend so obviously don't know what they ate, who has put on the most weight, who was last to bed; or what Crofts moronic mate Dave had to say.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:14 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Prefer the C4 presentation; which in effect is the old BBC team less Brundle. Once it goes off free to air I certainly wont be paying for Sky as I consider it sub-par. When F1 eventually goes down the road of supplying an OTT presentation, I'd like to see the current C4 production company driving it. Not least because delivering F1 content is their primary function unlike say Sky. I also believe they have the passion for F1 which Sky lacks. More than happy to pay for that service.

Didn't watch Sky at all this weekend so obviously don't know what they ate, who has put on the most weight, who was last to bed; or what Crofts moronic mate Dave had to say.

Consider yourself lucky you don't live in Germany, then. The RTL offering is beyond poor and they cut to adverts at the most inopportune times. And then the advertising breaks are so long that by the time the screens return to the racing you have no idea what's happening in the race anymore. At least SKY respect the fans enough that they don't try and shove adverts down our throats mid-race (can't remember if C4 do or not, tbh).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:30 pm 

Zoue wrote:
shoot999 wrote:

Consider yourself lucky you don't live in Germany, then. The RTL offering is beyond poor and they cut to adverts at the most inopportune times. And then the advertising breaks are so long that by the time the screens return to the racing you have no idea what's happening in the race anymore. At least SKY respect the fans enough that they don't try and shove adverts down our throats mid-race (can't remember if C4 do or not, tbh).
C4 show the race uninterrupted if it's live; highlights package is broken up by ads. I no longer have Sky and I don't miss it, prefer the C4 team as a whole.
I grew up with the BBC and the Murray Walker / James Hunt team. They were perfect foils to each other, one very extrovert in his commentary, the other much more measured. One liable to vent a personal and none-too-complimentary opinion, the other to smooth the waters, so to speak. Gold.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:17 pm 

i do wish Channel 4 wouldn't have adverts on the warm-up lap and immediately after the race before the podium. If my Sky and C4 broadcasts were in sync i would flick over for those parts

I try to stay loyal to C4 as i want them to exist for as long as possible

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

This will be sad for young viewers who's parents are not interested in F1. As Channel 4 is totally free and you don't even need a TV licence for it as it isn't the BBC and from 2019, they will be unable to watch this sport live any more. I know Sky want money and this is what they will get but IMO, they haven't been very considerate.

Good luck getting away with that ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:33 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:
i do wish Channel 4 wouldn't have adverts on the warm-up lap and immediately after the race before the podium. If my Sky and C4 broadcasts were in sync i would flick over for those parts

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

This will be sad for young viewers who's parents are not interested in F1. As Channel 4 is totally free and you don't even need a TV licence for it as it isn't the BBC and from 2019, they will be unable to watch this sport live any more. I know Sky want money and this is what they will get but IMO, they haven't been very considerate.

I am sure that when they got the deal, they made a bit point in that it was the first time in a while you could watch F1 live completely free in the UK. And I thought they were basing that on that you have to pay for BBC Channels.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:39 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I am sure that when they got the deal, they made a bit point in that it was the first time in a while you could watch F1 live completely free in the UK. And I thought they were basing that on that you have to pay for BBC Channels.

You need a TV license to watch live TV on any channel in the UK, including Satellite. You can watch catch up for free on Channel 4 - but you could watch iPlayer for free when the BBC had it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:22 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

You need a TV license to watch live TV on any channel in the UK, including Satellite. You can watch catch up for free on Channel 4 - but you could watch iPlayer for free when the BBC had it.

I've found the page where I read something that made me think this. Just to say, I know I won't be doing anything wrong as it is someone else in my household who deals with the TV licence, so I am lacking in some knowledge.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/ ... 4-bbc-deal

It says: “Channel 4 and Formula One are the perfect partnership,” said Channel 4 chief creative officer Jay Hunt. “We’ve the same appetite for innovation and we’ll be demonstrating that to fans by becoming the first free-to-air commercial broadcaster to show the races ad free.”

The only time they show the races add free is when they are live and in this statement by Channel 4's chief officer, it says what I quoted above. That it is free to air. and to watch it add free you will either have to record it or watch it live. Am I not taking in what this means right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I've found the page where I read something that made me think this. Just to say, I know I won't be doing anything wrong as it is someone else in my household who deals with the TV licence, so I am lacking in some knowledge.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/ ... 4-bbc-deal

It says: “Channel 4 and Formula One are the perfect partnership,” said Channel 4 chief creative officer Jay Hunt. “We’ve the same appetite for innovation and we’ll be demonstrating that to fans by becoming the first free-to-air commercial broadcaster to show the races ad free.”

The only time they show the races add free is when they are live and in this statement by Channel 4's chief officer, it says what I quoted above. That it is free to air. and to watch it add free you will either have to record it or watch it live. Am I not taking in what this means right?

When Channel 4 say free-to-air, they are ignoring the license fee.

TV license fees are different to the charge for a subscription service like Sky. The TV license is pretty much a tax for watching live TV. I'm sure in time they'll bring in the requirement for a license for watching things like iPlayer too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:56 pm 

The law was changed last year. You need a licence to watch iplayer; and you have to confirm you have one when using the iplayer. Although the BBC admit there is no way of enforcing the law within the existing framework.