planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:00 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
UnlikeUday wrote:
Toro Rosso wish to retain Sainz & Kvyat for 2018.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129948/str-would-be-happy-to-keep-sainz-and-kvyat

Sainz wishes to get promoted to Red Bull but since the current Red Bull drivers are contracted for 2018, the situation looks bleak for Sainz as of now.

But drivers have moved inspite of their contracts.

I would say Sainz because of his talent and Kvyat because of his sponsorship.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
Dash33 wrote:
I think that Rosberg retiring reminded us to expect the unexpected. There's a shake up in the order at the top right now and that could create a slightly different dynamic. So, what if:

Hamilton is frustrated at not winning the world championship again in 2017 (assuming Ferrari and Vettel keep on their current form). Why wouldn't he consider a move back to McLaren in the hope that his timing with Honda is just right. It's a roll of the dice but, hear me out: He's been there a while and if he thinks Ferrari are pulling away from Merc, may think it worth the risk. On the flip side, without a winning Hamilton, Mercedes may also not be quite so tied at the hip with him. He's intense and high maintenance and that's great while he's winning but I could see Lauda becoming an anti-Lewis voice in the camp, looking for some new credit for himself too. If he has his eye on Alonso he could mount an internal campaign. They could also look to cover Hamilton's contract for 2019 by hiring Alonso.

It's possible that Kimi has begun to fall out of love with Ferrari after his disappointment at Monaco. If he feels that he's being treated like a number 2 maybe he'll just up and leave. Even mid-season. He's capable of that, especially if he is considering hanging up his boots soon anyway (c'mon, at this point even he must realise that Vettel is currently a better driver. I've always been a fan of Kimi but am finally acknowledging that, if everything is even, Seb is going to beat him 9 times out of 10). That's a good seat for Bottas, Perez or Sainz, all very consistent and more than capable of winning races and therefore world championships.

I don't see Ferrari wanting Alonso while they have Vettel. And they have a highly motivated Vettel. So the only big seat for Alonso is Merc. RBR aside, the next two best seats to win a championship would be Renault or Honda. Zak Brown seems to be doing a great job at McLaren so far. He's made it a fun environment for Alonso and I think Alonso likes and trusts them now. He might just stay put and hope it all comes together, especially if it is part of a long term strategy to compete at Indy and Le Mans. And if they continue to pay him his superstar salary.

Hamilton has a contract with Mercedes for 2018 and it's doubtful he would look to drive a lesser car.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Last edited by pokerman on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
Lotus49 wrote:
I could see Lewis being interested in a competitive Ferrari quite easily but it would depend on a number of things to actually happen, mainly Seb being ok with it if he extends which you would think he would now Ferrari look the best car.

Can't see Nico coming back. If Lewis left Mercedes at the end of 2018 for Ferrari I think they'd go for Max or Dan. Outside possibility of Alonso if he has outs in his next contract.

Assuming they wouldn't just pull a swapsie with Ferrari for Seb and Lewis.

Vettel will stay at Ferrari now they are winning and no way is Hamilton being signed up whilst Vettel is there.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 4539
MistaVega23 wrote:
Slightly off-topic but this just goes to show we need more teams.

There's a queue of talented drivers waiting to make the step up but not enough seats available. A full grid of 26 cars would take care of that problem.

Completely true. So many good drivers are without a drive.
What was behind the rule that only 10 teams can compete? F1 was fine when there were 26 cars on the grid and some more who didn't qualify. Why did they do it in the first place? If you are fast enough in qualy, you will complete, if not, wait for the next race and try again until you go dry.

_________________
The end is near


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1800
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
I could see Lewis being interested in a competitive Ferrari quite easily but it would depend on a number of things to actually happen, mainly Seb being ok with it if he extends which you would think he would now Ferrari look the best car.

Can't see Nico coming back. If Lewis left Mercedes at the end of 2018 for Ferrari I think they'd go for Max or Dan. Outside possibility of Alonso if he has outs in his next contract.

Assuming they wouldn't just pull a swapsie with Ferrari for Seb and Lewis.

Vettel will stay at Ferrari now they are winning and no way is Hamilton being signed up whilst Vettel is there.

This. The team harmony (Monaco-aside!) seems excellent at the moment plus Vettel and Kimi get on well. There's no need to upset the order.

If Ferrari had delivered a poor car for 2017 I could envisage Vettel already making noises about leaving, and Mercedes probably being his preferred option for '18. A German 4xWDC in a German car...

Hamilton to Ferrari? I'd like to see it, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Would the tifosi take to him?

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 5013
MistaVega23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
I could see Lewis being interested in a competitive Ferrari quite easily but it would depend on a number of things to actually happen, mainly Seb being ok with it if he extends which you would think he would now Ferrari look the best car.

Can't see Nico coming back. If Lewis left Mercedes at the end of 2018 for Ferrari I think they'd go for Max or Dan. Outside possibility of Alonso if he has outs in his next contract.

Assuming they wouldn't just pull a swapsie with Ferrari for Seb and Lewis.

Vettel will stay at Ferrari now they are winning and no way is Hamilton being signed up whilst Vettel is there.

This. The team harmony (Monaco-aside!) seems excellent at the moment plus Vettel and Kimi get on well. There's no need to upset the order.

If Ferrari had delivered a poor car for 2017 I could envisage Vettel already making noises about leaving, and Mercedes probably being his preferred option for '18. A German 4xWDC in a German car...

Hamilton to Ferrari? I'd like to see it, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Would the tifosi take to him?


Don't see why not, he's top tier, good style to watch and can deliver titles in a car good enough.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 pm
Posts: 1804
Lt. Drebin wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
Slightly off-topic but this just goes to show we need more teams.

There's a queue of talented drivers waiting to make the step up but not enough seats available. A full grid of 26 cars would take care of that problem.

Completely true. So many good drivers are without a drive.
What was behind the rule that only 10 teams can compete? F1 was fine when there were 26 cars on the grid and some more who didn't qualify. Why did they do it in the first place? If you are fast enough in qualy, you will complete, if not, wait for the next race and try again until you go dry.

There is no rule.

There's only 10 teams because that's all that can afford to compete in F1 at the moment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:01 am
Posts: 35
My stab at the 2018 lineups

Merc: HAM/BOT - Suspect they're enjoying the smoother intra-team relationship too much. PERHAPS the only caveat, is if they fall right back towards RBR and Bottas is fighting for 4th every weekend. But even then, would Toto Wolff want to start playing ABBA that badly? #canyouhearthedrumsFernando

Ferrari: VET/RAI - Vettel will be given a long-term deal shortly, to me that's a no-brainer. On the assumption that Kimi puts in week in week out after his Monaco disappointment, they'll give him another year. Perez won't really be a significant enough an upgrade at this stage, and again team harmony plays its part here.

RBR: RIC/VER - Both are contracted, and even IF the Finns in the fast cars weren't given contracts for 2018, is Horner really going to let them go? Unless Ricciardo (seemingly the more agitated of the two at their current standing) goes rogue and demands he be let to drive for Ferrari, daresay Sainz gets the gig in that case.

Force India: PER/OCO - Ocon gets another year, really really impressed with him. He might be the option Merc look at if Bottas repeatedly looks 2nd rate. On my assumption that Kimi stays in 2018, Perez spends another year here. THINK he goes in 2019, though.

Toro Rosso: SAI/KYV - Sainz along with Perez is desperately hoping one of the Finns is left without a drive in 2018. Think they'll both be left disappointed, and Toro Rosso/Red Bull clearly prefer he stays under the umbrella. KYV is a safe enough pair of hands, and he'll probably get to go around again.

Williams: WER/STR - I think Massa retires again. He's going very well, but he's going to find the back half of the season hard with the other side of the garage offering nil on the technical side of things. Merc can place Pascal here and keep him under their umbrella. Assuming the chequebook is opened, Stroll purchases another season ticket.

Renault: HUL/ALO - Hulk will stay. He's making Palmer look awful, and driving for a factory backed team is the place to be in Formula 1 now. As much of a lure as the Indy 500 will be, why would Fernando want to drive around for McLaren in 2018? Honda have been proven incompetent, and Merc won't give them the silver bullet. Factory backed team, and he brings race winning know-how that they'll desperately be wanting moving forward. Oh, and he can drive.. a bit.

Haas: GRO/GIO - Grosjeans once mooted Ferrari move just hasn't gathered any momentum, and I do suspect Haas is as good as it'll get for him now. Ferrari will want to see GIO get given some proper F1 experience, the Ferrari tie in here makes that an easier deal. K-Mag perhaps a touch unlucky, but he seems to be measured to perhaps a higher standard than he can achieve for whatever reason.

Sauber: Honestly who knows. Honda will want a Japanese driver in the car, not sure who the obvious candidate might be there. Maldonado keeps being mentioned as making a return. Cashed up, isn't slow by any means - for mine a massive upgrade on Ericsson.

McLaren: VAN/BUT - Vandoorne has come in for mixed reviews this year, but honestly he's doing just fine. McLaren would be silly to let him go. Cannot see Alonso tolerating the situation any longer, honestly. He dumped Ferrari, so he'll have no hesitations about dumping McLaren again. There's no suitable replacement for mine. Experienced hand required at the moment, and Jenson fits that bill. Showed he still has it at Monaco, in quali at least, so he'll do a job. I just hope they turn things around, but I suspect it won't be under the current engine formula.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
Lt. Drebin wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
Slightly off-topic but this just goes to show we need more teams.

There's a queue of talented drivers waiting to make the step up but not enough seats available. A full grid of 26 cars would take care of that problem.

Completely true. So many good drivers are without a drive.
What was behind the rule that only 10 teams can compete? F1 was fine when there were 26 cars on the grid and some more who didn't qualify. Why did they do it in the first place? If you are fast enough in qualy, you will complete, if not, wait for the next race and try again until you go dry.

I don't understand your post, the grid limit is 26 cars.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
JackAttack_19 wrote:
My stab at the 2018 lineups

Merc: HAM/BOT - Suspect they're enjoying the smoother intra-team relationship too much. PERHAPS the only caveat, is if they fall right back towards RBR and Bottas is fighting for 4th every weekend. But even then, would Toto Wolff want to start playing ABBA that badly? #canyouhearthedrumsFernando

Ferrari: VET/RAI - Vettel will be given a long-term deal shortly, to me that's a no-brainer. On the assumption that Kimi puts in week in week out after his Monaco disappointment, they'll give him another year. Perez won't really be a significant enough an upgrade at this stage, and again team harmony plays its part here.

RBR: RIC/VER - Both are contracted, and even IF the Finns in the fast cars weren't given contracts for 2018, is Horner really going to let them go? Unless Ricciardo (seemingly the more agitated of the two at their current standing) goes rogue and demands he be let to drive for Ferrari, daresay Sainz gets the gig in that case.

Force India: PER/OCO - Ocon gets another year, really really impressed with him. He might be the option Merc look at if Bottas repeatedly looks 2nd rate. On my assumption that Kimi stays in 2018, Perez spends another year here. THINK he goes in 2019, though.

Toro Rosso: SAI/KYV - Sainz along with Perez is desperately hoping one of the Finns is left without a drive in 2018. Think they'll both be left disappointed, and Toro Rosso/Red Bull clearly prefer he stays under the umbrella. KYV is a safe enough pair of hands, and he'll probably get to go around again.

Williams: WER/STR - I think Massa retires again. He's going very well, but he's going to find the back half of the season hard with the other side of the garage offering nil on the technical side of things. Merc can place Pascal here and keep him under their umbrella. Assuming the chequebook is opened, Stroll purchases another season ticket.

Renault: HUL/ALO - Hulk will stay. He's making Palmer look awful, and driving for a factory backed team is the place to be in Formula 1 now. As much of a lure as the Indy 500 will be, why would Fernando want to drive around for McLaren in 2018? Honda have been proven incompetent, and Merc won't give them the silver bullet. Factory backed team, and he brings race winning know-how that they'll desperately be wanting moving forward. Oh, and he can drive.. a bit.

Haas: GRO/GIO - Grosjeans once mooted Ferrari move just hasn't gathered any momentum, and I do suspect Haas is as good as it'll get for him now. Ferrari will want to see GIO get given some proper F1 experience, the Ferrari tie in here makes that an easier deal. K-Mag perhaps a touch unlucky, but he seems to be measured to perhaps a higher standard than he can achieve for whatever reason.

Sauber: Honestly who knows. Honda will want a Japanese driver in the car, not sure who the obvious candidate might be there. Maldonado keeps being mentioned as making a return. Cashed up, isn't slow by any means - for mine a massive upgrade on Ericsson.

McLaren: VAN/BUT - Vandoorne has come in for mixed reviews this year, but honestly he's doing just fine. McLaren would be silly to let him go. Cannot see Alonso tolerating the situation any longer, honestly. He dumped Ferrari, so he'll have no hesitations about dumping McLaren again. There's no suitable replacement for mine. Experienced hand required at the moment, and Jenson fits that bill. Showed he still has it at Monaco, in quali at least, so he'll do a job. I just hope they turn things around, but I suspect it won't be under the current engine formula.

RBR: Ricciardo is under contract and he can't leave.

Williams: Their main sponsor Martini demand that one driver needs to be over 25 years old so that rules out Wehrlein.

Sauber: Ericsson's sponsors own the team that makes him quite safe, as of now none of the Honda young drivers have enough super license points.

McLaren: Button has very much retired from F1.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
JackAttack_19 wrote:
Haas: GRO/GIO - Grosjeans once mooted Ferrari move just hasn't gathered any momentum, and I do suspect Haas is as good as it'll get for him now. Ferrari will want to see GIO get given some proper F1 experience, the Ferrari tie in here makes that an easier deal. K-Mag perhaps a touch unlucky, but he seems to be measured to perhaps a higher standard than he can achieve for whatever reason.


Another one forgetting about Leclerc... With what he's doing in F2 (and has done the past years), I suspect they might put Leclerc ahead of Giovinazzi.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14264
mds wrote:
JackAttack_19 wrote:
Haas: GRO/GIO - Grosjeans once mooted Ferrari move just hasn't gathered any momentum, and I do suspect Haas is as good as it'll get for him now. Ferrari will want to see GIO get given some proper F1 experience, the Ferrari tie in here makes that an easier deal. K-Mag perhaps a touch unlucky, but he seems to be measured to perhaps a higher standard than he can achieve for whatever reason.


Another one forgetting about Leclerc... With what he's doing in F2 (and has done the past years), I suspect they might put Leclerc ahead of Giovinazzi.


Assuming Lecrerc wins F2 he will be in F1 next year. I am sure of that. The best driver currently in any junior series.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
mikeyg123 wrote:
mds wrote:
JackAttack_19 wrote:
Haas: GRO/GIO - Grosjeans once mooted Ferrari move just hasn't gathered any momentum, and I do suspect Haas is as good as it'll get for him now. Ferrari will want to see GIO get given some proper F1 experience, the Ferrari tie in here makes that an easier deal. K-Mag perhaps a touch unlucky, but he seems to be measured to perhaps a higher standard than he can achieve for whatever reason.


Another one forgetting about Leclerc... With what he's doing in F2 (and has done the past years), I suspect they might put Leclerc ahead of Giovinazzi.


Assuming Lecrerc wins F2 he will be in F1 next year. I am sure of that. The best driver currently in any junior series.


Yup. Easily the class of the field (as a rookie!) in F2 for the first three rounds, just terribly unlucky in Monaco else he would already be comfortably in the triple digits and leading by more than 30 points.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6955
Location: Mumbai, India
Felipe Massa is ok with extending his stay with Williams for 2018:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-massa-open-deal-2018-914860

He is much needed as his experience is more valuable than the $80 million troll's father brings.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6955
Location: Mumbai, India
Alonso won't need to stay with McLaren Honda if they cannot produce a winning car by September / October:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/354216/

Is he eyeing some other team already? No way in 3 months can Honda turn its fortunes around & produce a race winning car.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:12 pm
Posts: 131
Location: The Heart of Midlothian
UnlikeUday wrote:
Felipe Massa is ok with extending his stay with Williams for 2018:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-massa-open-deal-2018-914860

He is much needed as his experience is more valuable than the $80 million troll's father brings.


Stroll's cash might help pay Massa's wages for 2018?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
mds wrote:
JackAttack_19 wrote:
Haas: GRO/GIO - Grosjeans once mooted Ferrari move just hasn't gathered any momentum, and I do suspect Haas is as good as it'll get for him now. Ferrari will want to see GIO get given some proper F1 experience, the Ferrari tie in here makes that an easier deal. K-Mag perhaps a touch unlucky, but he seems to be measured to perhaps a higher standard than he can achieve for whatever reason.


Another one forgetting about Leclerc... With what he's doing in F2 (and has done the past years), I suspect they might put Leclerc ahead of Giovinazzi.

Giovinazzi is very much ahead of Leclerc, he is the Ferrari reserve driver and he's been penciled in for several FP1 sessions this year with Haas, Leclerc will probably end up as a reserve driver next year with some FP1 sessions thrown in.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14264
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
JackAttack_19 wrote:
Haas: GRO/GIO - Grosjeans once mooted Ferrari move just hasn't gathered any momentum, and I do suspect Haas is as good as it'll get for him now. Ferrari will want to see GIO get given some proper F1 experience, the Ferrari tie in here makes that an easier deal. K-Mag perhaps a touch unlucky, but he seems to be measured to perhaps a higher standard than he can achieve for whatever reason.


Another one forgetting about Leclerc... With what he's doing in F2 (and has done the past years), I suspect they might put Leclerc ahead of Giovinazzi.

Giovinazzi is very much ahead of Leclerc, he is the Ferrari reserve driver and he's been penciled in for several FP1 sessions this year with Haas, Leclerc will probably end up as a reserve driver next year with some FP1 sessions thrown in.


A GP2 win would put Leclerc ahead. His junior career is far better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6955
Location: Mumbai, India
Christian Horner believes that Red Bull will retain the same line up for 2018:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36638.html

That unofficially makes 1 option less (Danny Boy) for replacing Kimi at Ferrari in 2018, incase he retires!

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
JackAttack_19 wrote:
Haas: GRO/GIO - Grosjeans once mooted Ferrari move just hasn't gathered any momentum, and I do suspect Haas is as good as it'll get for him now. Ferrari will want to see GIO get given some proper F1 experience, the Ferrari tie in here makes that an easier deal. K-Mag perhaps a touch unlucky, but he seems to be measured to perhaps a higher standard than he can achieve for whatever reason.


Another one forgetting about Leclerc... With what he's doing in F2 (and has done the past years), I suspect they might put Leclerc ahead of Giovinazzi.

Giovinazzi is very much ahead of Leclerc, he is the Ferrari reserve driver and he's been penciled in for several FP1 sessions this year with Haas, Leclerc will probably end up as a reserve driver next year with some FP1 sessions thrown in.


A GP2 win would put Leclerc ahead. His junior career is far better.

He is clearly ahead in the Ferrari pecking order, he is the reserve driver and he is also to be given several FP1 sessions with Haas, why bother doing this is if Leclerc is in the Ferrari driving seat?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
UnlikeUday wrote:
Christian Horner believes that Red Bull will retain the same line up for 2018:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36638.html

That unofficially makes 1 option less (Danny Boy) for replacing Kimi at Ferrari in 2018, incase he retires!

Well like as being said before they both have contacts with Red Bull for 2018.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6955
Location: Mumbai, India
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Christian Horner believes that Red Bull will retain the same line up for 2018:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36638.html

That unofficially makes 1 option less (Danny Boy) for replacing Kimi at Ferrari in 2018, incase he retires!

Well like as being said before they both have contacts with Red Bull for 2018.


Ricciardo has confirmed that in 2018 he will indeed be with Red Bull:
http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-314182.html

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:08 pm
Posts: 1836
On Ted's qualifying notebook, he said that someone was trying to poach Red Bull engineers for a new F1 team.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
JackAttack_19 wrote:
Haas: GRO/GIO - Grosjeans once mooted Ferrari move just hasn't gathered any momentum, and I do suspect Haas is as good as it'll get for him now. Ferrari will want to see GIO get given some proper F1 experience, the Ferrari tie in here makes that an easier deal. K-Mag perhaps a touch unlucky, but he seems to be measured to perhaps a higher standard than he can achieve for whatever reason.


Another one forgetting about Leclerc... With what he's doing in F2 (and has done the past years), I suspect they might put Leclerc ahead of Giovinazzi.

Giovinazzi is very much ahead of Leclerc, he is the Ferrari reserve driver and he's been penciled in for several FP1 sessions this year with Haas, Leclerc will probably end up as a reserve driver next year with some FP1 sessions thrown in.


A GP2 win would put Leclerc ahead. His junior career is far better.

He is clearly ahead in the Ferrari pecking order, he is the reserve driver and he is also to be given several FP1 sessions with Haas, why bother doing this is if Leclerc is in the Ferrari driving seat?


Because they have to have a scenario if Leclerc falters. If he succeeds, I have no doubt he will soon surpass Giovinazzi in the pecking order.

Ocon was behind Wehrlein too. Are you confident he still is?

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14264
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
JackAttack_19 wrote:
Haas: GRO/GIO - Grosjeans once mooted Ferrari move just hasn't gathered any momentum, and I do suspect Haas is as good as it'll get for him now. Ferrari will want to see GIO get given some proper F1 experience, the Ferrari tie in here makes that an easier deal. K-Mag perhaps a touch unlucky, but he seems to be measured to perhaps a higher standard than he can achieve for whatever reason.


Another one forgetting about Leclerc... With what he's doing in F2 (and has done the past years), I suspect they might put Leclerc ahead of Giovinazzi.

Giovinazzi is very much ahead of Leclerc, he is the Ferrari reserve driver and he's been penciled in for several FP1 sessions this year with Haas, Leclerc will probably end up as a reserve driver next year with some FP1 sessions thrown in.


A GP2 win would put Leclerc ahead. His junior career is far better.

He is clearly ahead in the Ferrari pecking order, he is the reserve driver and he is also to be given several FP1 sessions with Haas, why bother doing this is if Leclerc is in the Ferrari driving seat?


Things change. As I said above, if Leclerc wins the GP2 title he will move above Giovinazzi and why wouldn't he?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7542
Some rumours I saw on Twitter today apparently originating from the head of Microsoft's motorsport sponsorship division, so take it for what it's worth.

- Renault are going to make a "huge" offer to a driver for 2018.
- Perez is very hot on the market and in the sights of a few teams.
- Raikkonen will be signed for another year at Ferrari.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14264
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Some rumours I saw on Twitter today apparently originating from the head of Microsoft's motorsport sponsorship division, so take it for what it's worth.

- Renault are going to make a "huge" offer to a driver for 2018.
- Perez is very hot on the market and in the sights of a few teams.
- Raikkonen will be signed for another year at Ferrari.


I'm thinking it would be very like Ferrari to resign Kimi. He's good enough for a number 2 driver and his WDC give him the prestige Ferrari like there drivers to have


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6955
Location: Mumbai, India
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Some rumours I saw on Twitter today apparently originating from the head of Microsoft's motorsport sponsorship division, so take it for what it's worth.

- Renault are going to make a "huge" offer to a driver for 2018.
- Perez is very hot on the market and in the sights of a few teams.
- Raikkonen will be signed for another year at Ferrari.


This is mainly because Perez has a 1 year contract with Force India. For next year he's free to join elsewhere. I'm sure his sights are on Ferrari only. Ferrari may sign Raikkonen again. The seat at Ferrari would only be empty should Raikkonen decide to retire.

Am sure, atleast Renault are interested in Perez. Force India would be too. If Ferrari will sign Raikkonen as per the above rumours, it surely implies Ferrari are not looking towards Perez, which contradicts the rumours of Monaco paddock that Ferrari were close to signing Perez to partner Vettel in 2018.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Last edited by UnlikeUday on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
Another one forgetting about Leclerc... With what he's doing in F2 (and has done the past years), I suspect they might put Leclerc ahead of Giovinazzi.

Giovinazzi is very much ahead of Leclerc, he is the Ferrari reserve driver and he's been penciled in for several FP1 sessions this year with Haas, Leclerc will probably end up as a reserve driver next year with some FP1 sessions thrown in.


A GP2 win would put Leclerc ahead. His junior career is far better.

He is clearly ahead in the Ferrari pecking order, he is the reserve driver and he is also to be given several FP1 sessions with Haas, why bother doing this is if Leclerc is in the Ferrari driving seat?


Because they have to have a scenario if Leclerc falters. If he succeeds, I have no doubt he will soon surpass Giovinazzi in the pecking order.

Ocon was behind Wehrlein too. Are you confident he still is?

What if Giovinazzi succeeds in the FP1 sessions?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Last edited by pokerman on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
Another one forgetting about Leclerc... With what he's doing in F2 (and has done the past years), I suspect they might put Leclerc ahead of Giovinazzi.

Giovinazzi is very much ahead of Leclerc, he is the Ferrari reserve driver and he's been penciled in for several FP1 sessions this year with Haas, Leclerc will probably end up as a reserve driver next year with some FP1 sessions thrown in.


A GP2 win would put Leclerc ahead. His junior career is far better.

He is clearly ahead in the Ferrari pecking order, he is the reserve driver and he is also to be given several FP1 sessions with Haas, why bother doing this is if Leclerc is in the Ferrari driving seat?


Things change. As I said above, if Leclerc wins the GP2 title he will move above Giovinazzi and why wouldn't he?

I say why should he, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leclerc being made the Haas reserve driver with some FP1 sessions being thrown in.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Some rumours I saw on Twitter today apparently originating from the head of Microsoft's motorsport sponsorship division, so take it for what it's worth.

- Renault are going to make a "huge" offer to a driver for 2018.
- Perez is very hot on the market and in the sights of a few teams.
- Raikkonen will be signed for another year at Ferrari.

Renault to sign either Alonso or Perez then, I see Alonso staying at a Mercedes powered McLaren team and with the Ferrari drive not on offer then I see Perez at Renault.

Going forward with this I wouldn't be surprised to see Ocon paired with Wehrlein at Force India.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14264
pokerman wrote:


I say why should he, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leclerc being made the Haas reserve driver with some FP1 sessions being thrown in.


Because he would be a far better prospect?

Any driver who can win GP3 and then GP2/F2 back to back is wasted not going straight into F1. Ferrari aren't going to favour Giovinazzi just because he is a few years older.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23915
mikeyg123 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Some rumours I saw on Twitter today apparently originating from the head of Microsoft's motorsport sponsorship division, so take it for what it's worth.

- Renault are going to make a "huge" offer to a driver for 2018.
- Perez is very hot on the market and in the sights of a few teams.
- Raikkonen will be signed for another year at Ferrari.


I'm thinking it would be very like Ferrari to resign Kimi. He's good enough for a number 2 driver and his WDC give him the prestige Ferrari like there drivers to have

I'm not so sure. I think Kimi has been getting progressively worse lately and I'm no longer convinced he's being that good a number two driver for Ferrari anymore.

He should have been at least 3rd in Canada and should possibly have been challenging Bottas for 2nd. He's lost Ferrari a clutch of valuable WCC points which they can ill afford to lose with things being so tight with Mercedes. He may well be a great team player and his qualifying has certainly improved (well most of the time), but I'm unconvinced that's enough to mitigate his lack of racing prowess. His Sundays haven't been the best and Ferrari need the best from their drivers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
UnlikeUday wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Some rumours I saw on Twitter today apparently originating from the head of Microsoft's motorsport sponsorship division, so take it for what it's worth.

- Renault are going to make a "huge" offer to a driver for 2018.
- Perez is very hot on the market and in the sights of a few teams.
- Raikkonen will be signed for another year at Ferrari.


This is mainly because Perez has a 1 year contract with Force India. For next year he's free to join elsewhere. I'm sure his sights are on Ferrari only. Ferrari may sign Raikkonen again. The seat at Ferrari would only be empty should Raikkonen decide to retire.

Am sure, atleast Renault are interested in Perez. Force India would be too. If Ferrari will sign Raikkonen as per the above rumours, it surely implies Ferrari are not looking towards Perez, which contradicts the rumours of Monaco paddock that Ferrari were close to signing Perez to partner Vettel in 2018.

That's sort of interesting that Ferrari were looking closely at Perez during Monaco and now they've lost interest, interesting to me because I criticised Perez for both races at Monaco and Canada.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 28701
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:


I say why should he, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leclerc being made the Haas reserve driver with some FP1 sessions being thrown in.


Because he would be a far better prospect?

Any driver who can win GP3 and then GP2/F2 back to back is wasted not going straight into F1. Ferrari aren't going to favour Giovinazzi just because he is a few years older.

That doesn't necessarily make Leclerc the better prospect and I also would argue that the F2 field is weaker this year with the top 4 drivers from last year moving on.

The truth is that Leclerc had some FP1 sessions with Haas last year and the impression I got was that he didn't overly impress, strange he is not penciled in for more sessions this year when he is winning at an even higher level this year.

There is no reason to rush Leclerc and I believe he won't be rushed straight into a F1 race seat.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14264
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Some rumours I saw on Twitter today apparently originating from the head of Microsoft's motorsport sponsorship division, so take it for what it's worth.

- Renault are going to make a "huge" offer to a driver for 2018.
- Perez is very hot on the market and in the sights of a few teams.
- Raikkonen will be signed for another year at Ferrari.


I'm thinking it would be very like Ferrari to resign Kimi. He's good enough for a number 2 driver and his WDC give him the prestige Ferrari like there drivers to have

I'm not so sure. I think Kimi has been getting progressively worse lately and I'm no longer convinced he's being that good a number two driver for Ferrari anymore.

He should have been at least 3rd in Canada and should possibly have been challenging Bottas for 2nd. He's lost Ferrari a clutch of valuable WCC points which they can ill afford to lose with things being so tight with Mercedes. He may well be a great team player and his qualifying has certainly improved (well most of the time), but I'm unconvinced that's enough to mitigate his lack of racing prowess. His Sundays haven't been the best and Ferrari need the best from their drivers


I don't know TBH. I don't really sense him getting worse. Seems pretty similar compared to Vettel as he has always done and they kept Massa on even though he was scoring less than half of Alonso's points.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23915
mikeyg123 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Some rumours I saw on Twitter today apparently originating from the head of Microsoft's motorsport sponsorship division, so take it for what it's worth.

- Renault are going to make a "huge" offer to a driver for 2018.
- Perez is very hot on the market and in the sights of a few teams.
- Raikkonen will be signed for another year at Ferrari.


I'm thinking it would be very like Ferrari to resign Kimi. He's good enough for a number 2 driver and his WDC give him the prestige Ferrari like there drivers to have

I'm not so sure. I think Kimi has been getting progressively worse lately and I'm no longer convinced he's being that good a number two driver for Ferrari anymore.

He should have been at least 3rd in Canada and should possibly have been challenging Bottas for 2nd. He's lost Ferrari a clutch of valuable WCC points which they can ill afford to lose with things being so tight with Mercedes. He may well be a great team player and his qualifying has certainly improved (well most of the time), but I'm unconvinced that's enough to mitigate his lack of racing prowess. His Sundays haven't been the best and Ferrari need the best from their drivers


I don't know TBH. I don't really sense him getting worse. Seems pretty similar compared to Vettel as he has always done and they kept Massa on even though he was scoring less than half of Alonso's points.

I can't think of a single positive to take from his Canada race. He cost Ferrari


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Giovinazzi is very much ahead of Leclerc, he is the Ferrari reserve driver and he's been penciled in for several FP1 sessions this year with Haas, Leclerc will probably end up as a reserve driver next year with some FP1 sessions thrown in.


A GP2 win would put Leclerc ahead. His junior career is far better.

He is clearly ahead in the Ferrari pecking order, he is the reserve driver and he is also to be given several FP1 sessions with Haas, why bother doing this is if Leclerc is in the Ferrari driving seat?


Because they have to have a scenario if Leclerc falters. If he succeeds, I have no doubt he will soon surpass Giovinazzi in the pecking order.

Ocon was behind Wehrlein too. Are you confident he still is?

What if Giovinazzi succeeds in the FP1 sessions?


Wehrlein seems to have convinced Mercedes he's a good tester.
Are you convinced Wehrlein is still ahead of Ocon?

Suppose Leclerc wins F2 this year, what more does he need to do to be ready for F1? And how much better is his resume compared to Giovinazzi? Do you think Ferrari wants to risk losing him, just about the best prospect they've had in many years?

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23915
well, if there was any doubt about whether Alonso could go to Mercedes, this should clear things up:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/hamilton-alonso-relationship-was-toxic/

I'm sure that previously Hamilton and Alonso had been at pains to say they never had any problems with each other, but this pretty much says the complete opposite. So don't see the two of them pairing up soon, then!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9392
Zoue wrote:
well, if there was any doubt about whether Alonso could go to Mercedes, this should clear things up:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/hamilton-alonso-relationship-was-toxic/

I'm sure that previously Hamilton and Alonso had been at pains to say they never had any problems with each other, but this pretty much says the complete opposite. So don't see the two of them pairing up soon, then!

Interesting also to hear who he considers to be the current top3:
Quote:
“Formula 1 is a spectacle and there are very few drivers capable of giving that show,” he added.

“We are: Alonso, Vettel, myself…

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group