planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:06 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Ideal 2018 Grid Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:35 am 

I did this same thread last year with a few interesting results. The aim here is to name your ideal grid, putting drivers where you please, ignoring practical constraints such as contracts and politics.

Ill do some maths at the end of it all and name PF1 forums ideal grid for 2018.

Mine:

Mercedes:
Ricciardo (Option B: Hamilton)
Bottas
- Could be bias but I think Bottas will easily have justified getting another year by the end of this year. Ricciardo gets a huge chance away from RBR stable.

Ferrari:
Hamilton (Option B: Ricciardo)
Vettel
- Would love to see these two go head to head in any equipment even at the risk of Ferrari being torn down the middle.

Red Bull:
Alonso
Verstappen
- These two head to head would be fantastic to compare.

Force India:
Ocon
Wehrlein
- Ocon needs another year in a midfield team, lets find out what Wehrlein can do in good equipment.

Williams:
Raikkonen
Stroll
- Probably just bias for Kimi as I wouldn't mind another year for him somewhere outside Ferrari. Stroll to justify another year by the end of this one.

Renault:
Hulkenberg
Sainz
- Get Sainz into a better car and hopefully Renault's PU progress continues.

Toro Rosso:
Kvyat
Gasly
- Kvyat remains to be the experienced driver with Gasly getting a chance.

McLaren:
Perez
Vandoorne
- The PU comes good and Perez gets his second chance in a good team with Vandoorne getting a chance too.

Haas:
Grosjean
Magnussen
- Both get another chance as this car hopefully takes another step forward.

Sauber:
Giovanizzi
Leclerc
- Sauber find some miracle funding so they no longer need Ericsson's money, with two new drivers getting the nod.

China F1/New Team:
Ericsson
Sirotken
- Ericsson takes his money to the new team to be an established driver in a rookie team with Sirotken getting the nod.

Thanks for the memories Nico

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:53 am 

Mercedes: Hamilton & Verstappen

Ferrari: Vettel & Alonso

Red Bull: Ricciardo & Bottas

McLaren: Vandoorne & Sainz

Williams: Massa & Stroll

Renault: Hulkenberg & Kubica

Force India: Perez & Ocon

Toro Rosso: Kvyat & Gasly

Haas: Magnussen & Giovinazzi

Sauber: Wehrlein & Leclerc

Edit: I didn't even realise, but my two least liked drivers ended up going off the grid in my list. :lol: Raikkonen and Grosjean.

Last edited by IDrinkYourMilkshake on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:12 am 

Mercedes: Hamilton & Vettel

Ferrari: Ricciardo & Alonso

Red Bull: Verstappen & Sainz

McLaren: Bottas & Vandoorne

Williams: Wehrlein & Stroll

Haas: Magnussen & Massa

Sauber: Giovinazzi & Ericsson (or Rubens)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:57 pm 

Can I just go for Button and 19 clones?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:19 pm 

Mercedes - Hamilton & Alonso
Ferrari - Vettel & Perez
Red Bull - Ricciardo & Verstappen
Force One - Ocon & Grosjean
Williams - Bottas & Stroll
McLaren - Vandoorne & Sainz
Toro Rosso - Kvyat & Gasly
Haas - Magnussen & Leclerc
Renault - Hulk & Kubica
Sauber - Wehrlein & Giovinazzi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:22 pm 

Mercedes: Alonso / Wehrlein
Ferrari: Hamilton / Vettel
Red Bull: Ricciardo / Verstappen
Force One: Ocon / Perez
Williams: Bottas / Sainz
Renault: Kubica / Hulkenberg
Toro Rosso: Gasly / Kari
Haas: Grosjean / Leclerc
Sauber: Maldonado / Ericsson
McLaren: Vandoorne / Norris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:28 pm 
Keeping mine somewhat feasible with only 1 driver move per team. This is all triggered by Ricciardo signing for Mercedes as he wants out of Red Bull, which then leads to Alonso to Red Bull and as Kimi retires, Rosberg is brought back. I also don't see any of the big three in the same car, so as much as I would like it to happen, it seems unlikely.

Mercedes - Hamilton & Ricciardo
Ferrari - Vettel & Rosberg
Red Bull - Alonso & Verstappen
Force One - Ocon & Perez
Williams - Bottas & Stroll
McLaren - Vandoorne & Sainz
Toro Rosso - Kvyat & Gasly
Haas - Magnussen & Leclerc
Renault - Hulk & Kubica
Sauber - Wehrlein & Giovinazzi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:12 pm 

All very different suggestions here but I guess that is the point of it. I think it surprises me the amount of people wanting Wehrlein to go to a higher team and Ericsson, stay put, go to another potentially not brilliant team, or out of F1 altogether. Overall, other than the fact Wehrlein has points, which I guess is what counts, I think it is pretty clear than Ericsson has now overall been better so far. 3 - 3 in terms of who has finished ahead. And every time Ericsson has finished ahead, it was +30 seconds in 2 races and when Wehrlein retired in Monaco due to Button hitting him, Ericsson was nearly a whopping 40 seconds ahead. Ericsson did have a clumsy crash later on but I think he was a little unlucky with the fact his tyres were not at the right temperature and the fact that the track surface was damaged right where he tried to pass the safety car. The races where Wehrlein beat him was Bahrain by 7 seconds but Ericsson was slowly catching up until 5 laps to the end when he had to retire. Spain, Wehrlein was very good in Spain, but I can hardly say Ericsson was much worse. Wehrlein had a stratagy that worked out better. Even so, Ericsson was only around 20 seconds behind and 11th. Baku was another race where Ericsson was far better at the start. Wehrlein recovered and caught up but then made a messy attempt to overtake and damaged his team mates car. Even when he was allowed to pass by the team, he barely beat Ericsson and Ericsson was promissed the position back. I don't believe that the team are favouring either driver over the other but if they are, this is the only possible evidence we've had and it looks like they refused to give the position back to Ericsson. Although it could have been a risk of loosing 10th perhaps. Anyway, I don't think either of these drivers are good enough for a top team, or even a much better team, but if I had to choose one, it would be Ericsson. They both are not very consistent. They both have often spun or crashed at times. We will just need to see who proves to be the better one or if they are even by the end of the season.

I don't think Sainz is doing much better than Kvyat this year so I don't think he is any more deserving of a top team drive than Kvyat was when he got moved up. He's made a mess of this season and over just this season alone, collected more penalty points than any other driver as well as being responsible for 4 retirements and getting to 3 place grid penalties. He's trying a bit to hard at the moment and looking too inconsistent for a top team to consider him IMO. But that can change if these mistakes don't continue. He's getting points, but if Kvyat hadn't had any retirements, they could well be pretty much equal in points.

I've seen one person say here that Wehrlien and Stroll would be the ideal line up for Williams. One thing is that I don't think either of them are overall very good, and the other, Williams must have at leased one driver over 25 because of their sponsors. Massa's performance has looked fine this year and I think he should have another year. His points don't reflect well on his driving at all. He has potentially missed well over 40 points this season because of bad luck.

For Mercedes, I honestly think it should stay as it is. Hamilton seems to be much more relaxed with Bottas as a team mate compared to Rosberg and I feel that if he had someone that was much more competitive than Bottas, things could end up going very wrong one day. Bottas has been a great team player and kept out of any trouble with Hamilton. I think this is what the team needs.

I think all the drivers that are currently on the grid should be here next year if there are 11 teams. But possibly not Palmer. If he doesn't show an improvement soon, he should find another motor sport. Although I can hardly say he did worse than Hulkenberg this weekend. Although Palmer's crash in practice looked silly, drivers like Verstappen and Perez crashed too. And almost all of them spun off. Palmer's didn't look that much worse and it was just practice. His rotten luck in the race affected what would very likely have been a decent points finish if he kept out of trouble. Hulkenberg however, crashed in the race which is where is mattered, so not a good weekend from him. I'm not sure about what drivers should either come into the sport or return from the past to fill the extra seats next year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:13 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
I think all the drivers that are currently on the grid should be here next year if there are 11 teams. But possibly not Palmer. If he doesn't show an improvement soon, he should find another motor sport. Although I can hardly say he did worse than Hulkenberg this weekend. Although Palmer's crash in practice looked silly, drivers like Verstappen and Perez crashed too. And almost all of them spun off. Palmer's didn't look that much worse and it was just practice. His rotten luck in the race affected what would very likely have been a decent points finish if he kept out of trouble. Hulkenberg however, crashed in the race which is where is mattered, so not a good weekend from him. I'm not sure about what drivers should either come into the sport or return from the past to fill the extra seats next year.

If you think Palmer might deserve a seat in F1, I can't imagine what it would take for you to actually think someone deserves to go...

More or less agree with you about Wehlrein/Ericsson (insofar as I think Ericsson is underrated), don't agree about Sainz/Kvyat. Sainz may have been driving erratically this year, but when he produces a clean drive his pace is beyond anything Kvyat can match. Baku was probably the one weekend all year where I think Kvyat really looked better, so it's a bit of a cruel irony that he didn't get any points for it whereas Sainz did.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:22 pm 

minchy wrote:

I'd love to watch that wet race

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:29 pm 

minchy wrote:
As a JB fan, even I may get tired of hearing the word 'grip.'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:43 pm 

Exediron wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

If you think Palmer might deserve a seat in F1, I can't imagine what it would take for you to actually think someone deserves to go...

More or less agree with you about Wehlrein/Ericsson (insofar as I think Ericsson is underrated), don't agree about Sainz/Kvyat. Sainz may have been driving erratically this year, but when he produces a clean drive his pace is beyond anything Kvyat can match. Baku was probably the one weekend all year where I think Kvyat really looked better, so it's a bit of a cruel irony that he didn't get any points for it whereas Sainz did.

Well I still do think all should stay, but we should get many, many more teams! :] But palmer is the one who I think it clearly the worst out of all of them. But I still don't see why a season and a half with a lot of bad luck shows his complete potential. he may be bad but I can't say any of the drivers F1 has had in recent years have been terrible.

Kvyat was clearly better in Austrailia during the race. A huge amount better. The team had to force Sainz to let him past. Then Kvyat pulled ahead pretty fast. Then had an issue on lap 50. Then had to pit. Then set the fastest lap (which I know was broken later) and even then, barely finished behind Sainz. And Sainz was clearly worse in Bahrain and Canada even if Kvyat wasn't amazing in either. Kvyat may not have been that strong in Bahrain, but he had a very good scrap with the other drivers with some great moves, although it was all out of the points. Sainz was great in most of the race in China but his start was very clumsy and incredibly lucky to get away with to be honest. He hit the wall, then spun and nearly hit it again. But other than that, it was a great drive. Spain was questionable if Sainz did a great drive as the fact that Kvyat started 19th and finished barely 5 seconds behind Sainz. That really makes you wonder if Sainz did have a brilliant race.
It is 4 - 4 in qualifying. 4 races where Kvyat was clearly better. But it is true that Sainz has had more weekends where he has performed much better. But he's had the option to do that 8 times, where as Kvyat has had 4 retirements and bad luck in Australia too. I'd say overall Sainz has been better, but by very little indeed when you look at everything.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:17 pm 

Mercedes: Hamilton, Bottas
Ferrari: Vettel, Verstappen
RBR: Ricciardo, Sainz
McLaren: Alonso, Vandoorne
Renault: Hülkenberg, Ocon
Haas: Magnussen, Leclerc
Williams: Grosjean, Stroll
Ex-Force India: Perez, Rosenqvist
STR: Gasly, Blomqvist
Sauber: Ericsson, Wehrlein
China: Räikkönen, Kvyat
Edit: China 2: Deletraz, Fittipaldi

8)

Last edited by Paolo_Lasardi on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:19 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
minchy wrote:

It's ok, we could believe the engineer for once when he says 'don't worry, it's for everyone'!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:34 pm 

Exediron wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Well there have been plenty of rumours going around of Ericsson having a 'favoured' status within the team. Wehrlein did little to dispel those rumours when quizzed about it in Baku. With Ericsson's backers supposedly having business connections with the group that now owns the team, this isn't really surprising.

If the two Sauber drivers do have equal treatment then I'll agree that Wehrlein has been nothing special so far, but I don't believe this is the case. The only reason they didn't swap places back in Baku is that there was a real risk of losing 10th place to Vandoorne if they did.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:11 am 

minchy wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
minchy wrote:

It's ok, we could believe the engineer for once when he says 'don't worry, it's for everyone'!!!
Ill meet you halfway on the 20 Jenson's and suggest that we go 10 Jenson's and 10 Kimi's, Jenson will have to do all the talking at the press conferences!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:46 am 

j man wrote:
Exediron wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Well there have been plenty of rumours going around of Ericsson having a 'favoured' status within the team. Wehrlein did little to dispel those rumours when quizzed about it in Baku. With Ericsson's backers supposedly having business connections with the group that now owns the team, this isn't really surprising.

If the two Sauber drivers do have equal treatment then I'll agree that Wehrlein has been nothing special so far, but I don't believe this is the case. The only reason they didn't swap places back in Baku is that there was a real risk of losing 10th place to Vandoorne if they did.

I don't believe they will be backing either driver but if anything, the closest evidence to who they could be backing is them giving a point to Wehrlein in Baku. Ericsson had a much better start and pulled well ahead. Wehrlein did catch him and asked if he could get let by. The team said, he could if he was faster. He then was behind for ages and attempted and had a clumsy clash with Ericsson and even then failed to overtake. This resulted in Ericsson getting a damaged floor. The team then instructed Ericsson to let him through. Which I guess was fair enough as because as Wehrlein didn't have damage, he had more potential to pull away. But they promised Ericsson the position back if Wehrlein didn't pull away. He hardly did pull away at all even though his team mate behind had a damaged car. Barely a couple of seconds. And Ericsson didn't get given his position back which I think he much deserved. That was a point I think Wehrlein really didn't deserve. Just think how many years we will have gone on about a clash like this one if these 2 drivers had been in Mercedes. It would gone on forever like Spa 2014! :] This may have only been minor but if it was a top team, it may have cost the more deserving driver the win. In this case, it just cost a point. Sauber may not have wanted to risk swapping because of how close Vandoorne was though I suppose.

From what we have seen this year, during the races, I think it is pretty clear that Ericsson has overall been better. The 3 times Ericsson has either finished ahead, or ended the race ahead when they both retired, he had been ahead by over 30 seconds. Where as Wehrlien beat him by 20 in Spain when he was on a much better strategy, 7 in Bahrain when Ericsson had to retire 5 laps from the end and barely anything in Baku. Those who thought Wehrlein would have been a better choice for Mercedes than Bottas may have to think again. Or even consider that Ericsson could have done better than Wehrlein (which to many would probably seem very surprising) But that is the way it is looking this year in relation to how far behind each other they finish.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:09 am 

Mercedes: Hamilton & Alonso

Ferrari: Ricciardo & Bottas

Red Bull: Vettel & Verstappen

McLaren: Wehrlein & Sainz

Williams: Massa & Stroll

Toro Rosso: Kvyat & Other.

Haas: Grosjean & Other.

Sauber: Anyone. Pay drivers.

All other drivers to lose their seats.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:49 am 

Centauri wrote:
Haas: Grosjean & Other.

All other drivers to lose their seats.

KMag's been doing fairly well. I'd say Haas are happy with him

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:18 am 

Three-car teams, with Alo-Ham-Vet paired. :o

Ultimately, I want to see Alonso contending again as some form of justice, so Alo-Ham at Mercedes would be grand with Vettel + another competitive driver such as Ricciardo, Verstappen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:29 pm 

The three difficult drivers are Alonso, Ricciardo and Sainz.

Mercedes
Hamilton
Ricciardo

Ferrari
Vettel
Alonso

Red Bull
Verstappen
Sainz

Williams
Stroll
Raikkonen or Massa, the other to retire

Force One
Perez
Ocon

Renault
Hulkenberg
Kubica

McLaren
Vandoorne
Bottas

Toro Rosso
Gasly
Another rookie (Kyvat has had 4 years, that enough)

Haas
Magnussen
Giovinazzi

Sauber
Grosjean
Ericsson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 am 

Didnt really collect the amount of data I wanted to do this, but here are some results anyway:

Ill start narrowing the ideal grid down by getting the 22 most popular drivers a chance to take seats:
9 vote drivers: Hamilton, Vettel, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Alonso, Ocon, Bottas, Hulkenberg, Sainz, Perez (10 total)
8 vote drivers: Wehrlein, Vandoorne, Gasly (3 total)
7 vote drivers: Stroll, Magnussen, Kubica (3 total)
6 vote drivers: Kvyat, Grosjean, Leclerc, Giovanizzi (4 total)
5 vote drivers: Ericsson (1 total)
4 vote drivers: Massa (1 total)

That gives us our 22 drivers.

Next up lets see where people put each of the drivers:

Hamilton: Mercedes = 7, Ferrari = 2
Vettel: Ferrari = 7, Mercedes = 1, Red Bull = 1
Ricciardo: Red Bull = 4, Mercedes = 3, Ferrari = 2
Verstappen: Red Bull = 7, Mercedes = 1, Ferrari = 1
Alonso: Mercedes = 3, Ferrari = 3, Red Bull = 2, McLaren = 1
Ocon: Force India = 8, Renault = 1
Bottas: Williams = 3, Mercedes = 2, McLaren = 2, Ferrari = 1, Red Bull =1
Hulkenberg: Renault = 9
Sainz: McLaren = 4, Red Bull = 3, Renault = 1, Williams = 1
Perez: Force India = 7, McLaren = 1, Ferrari = 1
Wehrlein: Sauber = 4, Force India = 1, Williams = 1, Mercedes = 1, McLaren = 1
Vandoorne: McLaren = 8
Gasly: Toro Rosso = 8
Stroll: Williams = 7
Magnussen: Haas = 7
Kubica: Renault = 7
Kvyat: Toro Rosso = 6
Grosjean: Haas = 3, Williams = 1, Sauber = 1
LeClerc: Haas = 4, Sauber = 2
Giovanizzi: Sauber = 4, Haas = 2
Ericsson: Sauber = 4, New Team = 1
Massa: Williams = 3, Haas = 1

And the grid is.....

Mercedes most votes:
Hamilton 7
Alonso/Ricciardo 3 (Ricciardo to Red Bull as he had 4 votes there, Alonso to Ferrari as there is no tie there and allows Bottas to take his 2 Mercedes votes which solves the tie with Massa at Williams)
Bottas 2

Ferrari most Votes:
Vettel 7
Alonso 3

Red Bull most Votes:
Verstappen 7
Ricciardo 4

Force India most Votes:
Ocon 8
Perez 7

Williams most Votes:
Stroll 7
Bottas/Massa 3

Renault most Votes:
Hulkenberg 9
Kubica 7

McLaren most Votes:
Vandoorne 8
Sainz 4

Toro Rosso most Votes:
Gasly 8
Kvyat 6

Haas most Votes:
Magnussen 7
LeClerc 4

Sauber most Votes:
Wehrlein/Giovanizzi/Ericsson 4 (Ericsson misses out here as he was the only driver to get a vote for the new team)

New Team most Votes:
Grosjean 0 (His main votes were for Haas, Williams and Sauber but he has been forced out of there)
Ericsson 1

So there is Planet F1s ideal grid for 2018, hope its a bit of fun to read even if the data is very limited.

Also, for each driver, here is who was voted as their teammate most often:
Hamilton: Vettel 3
Vettel: Hamilton 3
Ricciardo: Bottas 3
Verstappen: Ricciardo, Alonso, Sainz and Vettel 2
Alonso: Vettel, Hamilton and Verstappen 2
Ocon: Perez 6
Bottas: Ricciardo 3
Wehrlein: Giovanizzi 2
Stroll: Massa, Raikkonen 2
Massa: Stroll 3
Hulkenberg: Kubica 7
Sainz: Vandoorne 3
Kvyat: Gasly 5
Perez: Ocon 6
Vandoorne: Sainz 3
Grosjean: Magnussen, Ocon, LeClerc, Stroll, Ericsson 1
Magnussen: LeClerc 3
LeClerc: Magnussen 3
Giovanizzi: Magnussen, Werhlein 2
Gasly: Kvyat 5
Erisson: Sirotken, Wehrlein, Giovanizzi, Maldonaldo, Grosjean 1
Kubica: Hulkenberg 7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:35 pm 

Colesy917 wrote:
And the grid is.....

Mercedes most votes:
Hamilton 7
Alonso/Ricciardo 3 (Ricciardo to Red Bull as he had 4 votes there, Alonso to Ferrari as there is no tie there and allows Bottas to take his 2 Mercedes votes which solves the tie with Massa at Williams)
Bottas 2

Ferrari most Votes:
Vettel 7
Alonso 3

Red Bull most Votes:
Verstappen 7
Ricciardo 4

Force India most Votes:
Ocon 8
Perez 7

Williams most Votes:
Stroll 7
Bottas/Massa 3

Renault most Votes:
Hulkenberg 9
Kubica 7

McLaren most Votes:
Vandoorne 8
Sainz 4

Toro Rosso most Votes:
Gasly 8
Kvyat 6

Haas most Votes:
Magnussen 7
LeClerc 4

Sauber most Votes:
Wehrlein/Giovanizzi/Ericsson 4 (Ericsson misses out here as he was the only driver to get a vote for the new team)

New Team most Votes:
Grosjean 0 (His main votes were for Haas, Williams and Sauber but he has been forced out of there)
Ericsson 1

Not bad! I'd be pretty happy with that grid.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:23 am 

Simple:

Ferrari
1. Takuma Sato
2. Crashtor

The rest of the grid becomes irrelevant.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:16 pm 

I like your Sauber lineup but Perez returning to McLaren won't ever happen, it would be a sad day for Force India if Perez moves on. Also Hamilton driving for Ferrari would be a big deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:07 pm 

Multi69 wrote:
Mercedes: Hamilton & Vettel

Ferrari: Ricciardo & Alonso

Red Bull: Verstappen & Sainz

McLaren: Bottas & Vandoorne

Williams: Wehrlein & Stroll

Haas: Magnussen & Massa

Sauber: Giovinazzi & Ericsson (or Rubens)

This

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:46 am 

Merc - Hamilton and Bottas (Don't get the rush to drop VB, especially in favour of someone like Wehrlein)

Ferrari - Vettel and Sainz

Red Bull - Ricciardo and VMax

Renault - Hulk and Kubica

Force Whatever - Perez and Ocon

Williams - Stroll and KMag

McLaren Mercedes - Stoff and Alonso

STD - Gasly and Kvyat

Haas - Grosjean and LeClerc

Sauber - Wehrlein and Palmer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:02 am 

Mercedes: Hamilton + Alonso

Ferrari: Vettel + Verstappen

RB: Ricciardo + Sainz

McLaren: Button + Stof

Williams: Massa + Stroll

Renault: Hulk + Kubica

Force India: Perez + Ocon

Sauber: Pascal + Leclerc

Haas: Magnussen + Grosjean

TR: Two young RB hotshots

Keep Fighting Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:51 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Merc - Hamilton and Bottas (Don't get the rush to drop VB, especially in favour of someone like Wehrlein)

Ferrari - Vettel and Sainz

Red Bull - Ricciardo and VMax

Renault - Hulk and Kubica

Force Whatever - Perez and Ocon

Williams - Stroll and KMag

McLaren Mercedes - Stoff and Alonso

STD - Gasly and Kvyat

Haas - Grosjean and LeClerc

Sauber - Wehrlein and Palmer

I would have thought Ericsson would be a much better option than Palmer! Especially as he is used to the team and has many sponsors that help fund it. I also think he is clearly a better driver than Palmer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:54 pm 

BrazilLastCorner2008 wrote:
Mercedes: Hamilton + Alonso

Ferrari: Vettel + Verstappen

RB: Ricciardo + Sainz

McLaren: Button + Stof

Williams: Massa + Stroll

Renault: Hulk + Kubica

Force India: Perez + Ocon

Sauber: Pascal + Leclerc

Haas: Magnussen + Grosjean

TR: Two young RB hotshots

Just asking, did you intend not to include Bottas? Or do you really think he isn't good enough for a drive with any team next year? Guess everyone can have their own views, but I think Bottas most certainly should remain in F1. Maybe you meant to include him. I sometimes forget things when I do lists.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:30 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
I would have thought Ericsson would be a much better option than Palmer! Especially as he is used to the team and has many sponsors that help fund it. I also think he is clearly a better driver than Palmer.

I thought the only reason Palmer got a drive was because he had a bit of money behind him.

I'm not sure how ME is clearly better either, they both spent several years in GP2 but Palmer eventually won it, whilst Ericsson could only manage 6th. I'd just rather have another British driver on the grid, even if he isn't that good.

Not sure why so many still want Massa, like another year of being forgettable in that Williams will actually prove anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:42 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I thought the only reason Palmer got a drive was because he had a bit of money behind him.

I'm not sure how ME is clearly better either, they both spent several years in GP2 but Palmer eventually won it, whilst Ericsson could only manage 6th. I'd just rather have another British driver on the grid, even if he isn't that good.

Not sure why so many still want Massa, like another year of being forgettable in that Williams will actually prove anything.

Well, maybe Palmer could improve if he had more time in F1. When Ericsson joined F1 in 2014, I thought he was pretty much the worst driver on the grid. I though the same until the second half of 2015 when he looked to be better than Nazr and some others too. Then 2016, he got a little better and had several very reasonable drives. Then this year, I think he's pretty much level with Wehrlein overall. He took his time to get better but I think he is a very reasonable driver now. But just nothing that special. I haven't yet seen anything special at all from Palmer. But things could change. I am hoping he will be able to complete the rest of this season so we can see if he starts to get better. I never like drivers getting kicked out or swapped part way through a season.

I think Massa is doing much better than it looks. I am certain he would be ahead of both Force India drivers if it wasn't for his bad luck. He's potentially lost around 30 - 40 points due to bad luck this year. His points in the championship make him look bad in the same way Verstappen's do. Massa clearly isn't at Verstappen's level but I think he's doing more than enough for the team and should stay next year if Bottas or another better driver doesn't take his place. Massa's experience is useful too as he does seem to be very good at leaving feedback. At a team like Williams that now seems to be falling backwards, feedback on all the issues is very important.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29 pm 

cm97 wrote:
Toro Rosso
Gasly
Another rookie (Kyvat has had 4 years, that enough)

He may be old. But Alex Rossi worked his heart and soul to get into Formula 1.