Vandoorne 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Magnussen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grosjean 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wehrlein 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 70
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:08 pm 

Driver of The Weekend 2017 - Hungary

Cast your vote for the 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix!

Rules & Format
Quote:
- Voting is based on driver performance (not who has the prettiest girlfriend/best haircut)
- Voting is based on performance of the whole race weekend, so qualifying counts towards your assessment.
- You only get one vote
- The poll will start on either on the day of the GP (or Monday if I am unable to for some reason)
- The poll will run until Friday so that it will always end before the next GP
- The top three voted for drivers will earn points towards a championship table as follows:
- 1st: 5 points
- 2nd: 3 points
- 3rd: 1 point
- Ties will be decided by finishing position

Standings after Britain
Code:
   |  Driver      | Points |
1  |  Hamilton    |   26   |
2  |  Vettel      |   25   |
3  |  Bottas      |    9   |
4  |  Stroll      |    5   |
5  |  Ricciardo   |    4   |
6  |  Perez       |    3   |
7  |  Sainz       |    3   |
8  |  Hulkenberg  |    3   |
9  |  Wehrlein    |    3   |
10 |  Giovinazzi  |    3   |
11 |  Raikkonen   |    1   |
12 |  Verstappen  |    1   |
13 |  Ocon        |    1   |
14 |  Grosjean    |    1   |

Alonso for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:09 pm 

Alonso all the way.

Had Hulk finished ahead of Alonso, would've voted for Hulk as he was stellar as well. Got screwed because of a faulty pit stop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:11 pm 

Clearly Alonso.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:14 pm 

Definitely, Alonso.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:16 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Alonso all the way.

Had Hulk finished ahead of Alonso, would've voted for Hulk as he was stellar as well. Got screwed because of a faulty pit stop.

Is this a joke... Wasn't HULK miles behind Alonso all race?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:36 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Alonso all the way.

I don't think Hulkenberg had a perfect race. He hit Grosjean at the start and severly affected Bottas later in the race when he was getting lapped. Bottas lost over 4 seconds off Hamilton just because of Hulkenberg not moving out the way quick enough. I do respect that it is such a pain for back markers to have to get out the way all the time but he was just a little over the limit IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:55 pm 

Qualifyings:
ALO 8 th
VAN 9 th

Race:
ALO 6 th
VAN 10 th
___

Qualifyings:
SAI 10 th
KVY 13 th

Race:
SAI 7 th
KVY 12 th

So my vote goes to SAI. RAI is also worthy of the same.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:57 pm 

Close call between the two spaniards, but ALO was incredible in the race, that overtake! Such a waste of talent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:06 pm 

Amazed not to see anyone else vote Räikkönen. And had the thread starter allowed 2 votes, my other one would have gone to Paul di Resta.

Plenty of honourable mentions, except for Max. He really should be briefed on how to avoid throwing away a race on the first lap.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:33 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Amazed not to see anyone else vote Räikkönen. And had the thread starter allowed 2 votes, my other one would have gone to Paul di Resta.

Plenty of honourable mentions, except for Max. He really should be briefed on how to avoid throwing away a race on the first lap.

Why on earth would anyone vote for Raikkonen? His team-mate beat him despite a faulty car. Had Vettel had full reliability then Kimi wouldn't have been anywhere near him and the crazy tinfoil hat brigade wouldn't have been able claim that Kimi's inability to overtake on a track where overtaking is extremely difficult is some kind of bizarre example of team orders.

And di Resta was running dead last in a Williams. I know he hasn't been in a car for a while and stepping in isn't easy, but it's not like any other driver could have done much worse.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:36 pm 

Fiki wrote:

I think any driver who was out qualified by his team mate has to do something extrodinary in the race to be thought of as DOTW.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:39 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Fiki wrote:

I think any driver who was out qualified by his team mate has to do something extrodinary in the race to be thought of as DOTW.

Outqualified AND outraced by his teammate, despite his teammate nursing car problems for over half the race.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:59 pm 

Vettel, obviously. Not because he won but because of the way he managed to deal with his car issue. On the onboard you could clearly see how far he had to steer left on the straight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:23 pm 

optimisteprime wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Why on earth would anyone vote for Raikkonen? His team-mate beat him despite a faulty car. Had Vettel had full reliability then Kimi wouldn't have been anywhere near him and the crazy tinfoil hat brigade wouldn't have been able claim that Kimi's inability to overtake on a track where overtaking is extremely difficult is some kind of bizarre example of team orders.

And di Resta was running dead last in a Williams. I know he hasn't been in a car for a while and stepping in isn't easy, but it's not like any other driver could have done much worse.

di Resta's performance has been comically overrated. The guy has F1 experience as well as other racing series. He would have to be an utter incompetent to do worse than he did, which was dead last.

Tremendously overrated performance, embarrassingly so.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:06 pm 

Difficult to chose between Alonso and Vettel - both had good qualies and very impressive race under certain circumstances.

But its good to see that unlike 2 weeks ago, where there was a big outcry about Hamilton not getting 100% of the votes, because some votes went to the guy finishing 6th (Hulkemberg), this time around there's not much of a noise even with the guy finishing 6th winning it. Arguably, Hulk's performance in Britain was probably as good as Alonso's today, whilst Vettel`s performance today was as good as Hamilton's in Britain (yes, Vettel missed the fastest lap of the race, but there was nothing he could do about that since he has car issues from the beginning of the race).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:42 pm 

Alonso for taking that McLaren Honda to places where it has no right to be culminating in great racing and a race fastest lap. Come on Honda get your act together and give him a proper competitive engine so he can race for wins as his talent truly deserves.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:49 pm 

mas wrote:
Alonso for taking that McLaren Honda to places where it has no right to be culminating in great racing and a race fastest lap. Come on Honda get your act together and give him a proper competitive engine so he can race for wins as his talent truly deserves.

Not sure I agree.
VAN finished 10th after a terrible stop and despite being in a train in the first stint.
And yesterday ALO and VAN qualified 8th and 9th.
McLaren was actually competitive this weekend compared at their usual self.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:53 pm 

mas wrote:
Alonso for taking that McLaren Honda to places where it has no right to be

Why does everybody keep saying this? Maybe because Alonso created his own myth by talking down all his cars all the time throughout his career?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:54 pm 

Sharknose wrote:
mas wrote:

Why does everybody keep saying this? Maybe because Alonso created his own myth by talking down all his cars all the time throughout his career?

Because it's often very true?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:58 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sharknose wrote:
mas wrote:

But what if it isn't? Do we have to take his word for it?
Honestly, I think Alonso, brilliant though he may be, is rather overrated. In 2007 he got beaten by a rookie. I don't think that would have happened to Senna or Schumacher. But of course that's my opinion and maybe I'm wrong.
Would be very interesting to see what Hamilton or Vettel would do in that McLaren-Honda though . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:03 pm 

Alonso proved he was the best of the rest in racetrim not just qualifying and not only that put in a faster race lap than the three teams that qualified around a second faster than him. Vandoorne did not drive the car as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:08 pm 

That 2007 rookie proving himself to being another all time great and their points totals being equal hardly reflects badly on Alonso. Senna was fast as a rookie too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:11 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sharknose wrote:
mas wrote:

How exactly is that true at any point? Taking something where is had no right to be means it is not allowed there. Are McLaren Honda banned from scoring this many points? .......

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:16 pm 

Alonso. Head and shoulders above everyone else this weekend for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:22 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Sharknose wrote:
mas wrote:

How exactly is that true at any point? Taking something where is had no right to be means it is not allowed there. Are McLaren Honda banned from scoring this many points? .......

Alonso knows how to market and project himself as the best driver who is needed by every team.

Notice how cars never get credit in ALO great drives, but it is all him. No wonder Top Teams don't want him even though there is nothing wrong with his driving.
The only two guys on the grid who can have an average rate but get 9/10s are ALO and RIC. Totally inflated ratings with these two.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:40 pm 

Kimi gets my vote for being the ultimate team player. Vettel owes his win wholly to Kimi being willing to play nice.

Alonso was also impressive, but I believe he already has a safe win in this pole, and I'm trying to push Kimi above Vettel! ;)

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:52 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Kimi gets my vote for being the ultimate team player. Vettel owes his win wholly to Kimi being willing to play nice.

Alonso was also impressive, but I believe he already has a safe win in this pole, and I'm trying to push Kimi above Vettel! ;)

Sorry but I really don't understand this. He bitched and moaned and asked the team to get his team-mate to move over for him and they refused. He was then incapable of beating his team-mate on merit despite Vettel having a wounded car. Seb drove brilliantly, dominated the weekend prior to the fault developing and controlled the race beautifully afterwards. I don't understand how so many people are falling for the bullshit narrative that this was anything other than a well earned victory.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:09 pm 

Exediron wrote:

In a track where the DRS seemed quite ineffective and where the only overtakes taking place were those over the lapped cars being shown blue flags... even if the "devil" in Kimi had come out (if he has one), I dont think it would have helped him to get in front of Vettel. Hamilton closed on the Ferrari pair at a much faster rate than what Kimi did to Vettel, and yet was unable to make a single attempt against Kimi, thats how difficult it was.

Yes, Kimi played it "nice", but nevertheless, Vettel won on his own merit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:34 pm 

Räikkönen most obviously never even attempted to attack Vettel on-track. Vettel owes this victory to Ferrari TO and a submissive No. 2 teammate - all else is delusional really.

That said and notwithstanding: without the technical problems, Vettel would have taken an utterly dominant victory. Winning despite technical problems due to the most ideal circumstances for such a situation (Budapest) as well as ending up infront of your rival after doing more things wrong than on could have imagined (Baku) - those are the lucky breaks that often define championships ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:41 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Räikkönen most obviously never even attempted to attack Vettel on-track. Vettel owes this victory to Ferrari TO and a submissive No. 2 teammate - all else is delusional really.

That said and notwithstanding: without the technical problems, Vettel would have taken an utterly dominant victory. Winning despite technical problems due to the most ideal circumstances for such a situation (Budapest) as well as ending up infront of your rival after doing more things wrong than on could have imagined (Baku) - those are the lucky breaks that often define championships ...

Delusional is to presume that Kimi would have overtaken Vettel had he tried it, in a track where the DRS seemed quite ineffective and where the only overtakes taking place were those over the lapped cars being shown blue flags.

Hamilton closed on the Ferrari pair at a much faster rate than what Kimi did to Vettel, and yet was unable to make a single attempt against Kimi (same as Kimi was unable to make any impression on Vettel)... does that automatically makes Hamilton too a submissive No.2 towards Kimi maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:58 am 

Over the weekend I've got to give it to Alonso; there were others who I feel did really well on a given day, but Alonso was the most consistent over the course of the weekend of those I was considering.

Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 6 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:18 am 

Migen wrote:
Hamilton closed on the Ferrari pair at a much faster rate than what Kimi did to Vettel, and yet was unable to make a single attempt against Kimi (same as Kimi was unable to make any impression on Vettel)... does that automatically makes Hamilton too a submissive No.2 towards Kimi maybe?

Kimi didn't need to close to Vettel, since he was already right behind him.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:41 am 

Exediron wrote:
Migen wrote:

Kimi didn't need to close to Vettel, since he was already right behind him.

During the 1st stint, Vettel slowly pulled a 3.5sec gap on Kimi (recorded at lap 13) and then as Vettel's issue with the steering wheel appeared (or got worse), Kimi started getting back at Vettel but it took Kimi 16-17 laps to bring that gap down to 1.1 seconds for the 1st time ever on lap 29.

And averaging just 0.150 seconds faster than Vettel, at that rate, it would be close to impossible to overtake the car in front at just about any track in the calendar, let alone in Hungary.

The most Kimi gained over Vettel in 1 single lap during the above mentioned "closing up" period was a 0.404 second. Later on in the race, Hamilton was able to gain 0.952 second over Kimi in 1 lap and was still unable to make a single overtaking attempt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:06 am 

It is rather surprising that any are voting for Hamilton. He was P4 in qualifying behind his team mate. Then almost certainly the only reason why he had the chance to beat Bottas was because of team orders. But just because he had better pace and was "nice" to let Bottas through just isn't enough to call him driver of the weekend. Bottas did better in the most important part which seems to be qualifying here and likely could have kept his position if it wasn't for team orders. But I agree that was Mercedes did was totally worth trying out.

I also think the Alonso votes are a bit too much. I think it is more that the Mclaren is MUCH stronger hear and sevearl other teams are weak rather than Alonso suddenly being amazing. Just look at how awful Williams was. Even force India with 2 very decent drivers didn't look to have the pace of the McLaren. I also don't think it will just be to do with Alonso that he got the fastest lap. The chassis must be simply brilliant for this track. I certainly can understand several voting him, but I don't I could vote him for driver of the weekend just because the team has suddenly made a step up at this race.

I think Vettel was the best. Got pole and had a very good start and pulled away from Kimi. But then had issues pretty much the whole race. It didn't look to affect him that much but it looked much harder to drive. Left turns looked very tricky! He still managed to hold Kimi behind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:35 am 

I went for Vettel mostly because of the way he handled his problems. Yes he had full team backing, but he still had to perform.

There are some others worth a mention, like Di Resta on Saturday, but he was just 'adequate' in the race, which really is all that could be expected.

Alonso showed well, but Van Doorne was only 3 tenths behind him in Q3, and no doubt was not allowed to use the full power mode to set a lap in the race.

Verstappen, ? well he had a very good race, but due to his own actions was booted back. Could have been interesting otherwise.

No stand out driver over the 3 days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:37 am 

Alonso

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:37 am 

Migen wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Delusional is to presume that Kimi would have overtaken Vettel had he tried it, in a track where the DRS seemed quite ineffective and where the only overtakes taking place were those over the lapped cars being shown blue flags.

Well, there was one real on-track overtaking: Alonso on Sainz, brilliant manoeuvre.

Räikkönen never ever attempted to attack. His sole mission was to protect Vettel's lead. He actually tried to be not too close to him and only when Hamilton closed in, he was forced to really close in on Vettel.

Now, of course, you are right that overtaking is difficult. It bec8mes impossible when a faster car (KR's Ferrari) is deliberately driving slow, except of, of course, into the main straight. Without a mistake by KR in the crucial corner there was no chance for Hamilton.

KR's situation was different though. Due to the steering issue, Vettel could not do the optimal line, e.g. he had to avoid the curbs. This includes the crucial entry into the main straight. Overtaking would definitely been possible against Vettel - and I bet if KR would have done so, LH would have followed suit rather quickly.

But of course it was Ferrari's TO/strategy to protect Vettel's win and so KR solely focused on the submissive-protective role.

I find it completely okay to hail this as a brilliant teamplay. But to claim that Räikkönen tried to attack or even overtake Vettel is really delusional.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:26 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Migen wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Well, there was one real on-track overtaking: Alonso on Sainz, brilliant manoeuvre.

Räikkönen never ever attempted to attack. His sole mission was to protect Vettel's lead. He actually tried to be not too close to him and only when Hamilton closed in, he was forced to really close in on Vettel.

Now, of course, you are right that overtaking is difficult. It bec8mes impossible when a faster car (KR's Ferrari) is deliberately driving slow, except of, of course, into the main straight. Without a mistake by KR in the crucial corner there was no chance for Hamilton.

KR's situation was different though. Due to the steering issue, Vettel could not do the optimal line, e.g. he had to avoid the curbs. This includes the crucial entry into the main straight. Overtaking would definitely been possible against Vettel - and I bet if KR would have done so, LH would have followed suit rather quickly.

But of course it was Ferrari's TO/strategy to protect Vettel's win and so KR solely focused on the submissive-protective role.

I find it completely okay to hail this as a brilliant teamplay. But to claim that Räikkönen tried to attack or even overtake Vettel is really delusional.

I`m not saying that Kimi tried to attack or even overtake Vettel (it never happen, as much as Hamilton was never able to attempt un overtake on Kimi going on Vettel`s pace, even though Hamilton closed on Kimi at a faster rate than what Kimi did to Vettel), what I`m arguing is that any attempt to attack/overtake would have been futile anyways.

As I explained on my response to another post, with Kimi closing up on Vettel with an average of 0.150 seconds per lap, it was pretty much impossible for him to overtake in any case.

As for the crucial entry into the main straight, it wasnt an issue at all because NONE of the car in the race were going over the inside curbs, not just Vettel and the outside curb on corner exit to the main strait is pretty much flat and Vettel could floor it the same as all the other drivers.

Vettel simply went from being 2 tenth faster than Kimi into 2 tenths slower once the steering wheel issue appeared... no big drama, not a huge drop in performance relative to Kimi.

EDIT: And there`s also something important that you are not taking into account:
Had Vettel come under real threat of being overtaken, he could always pickup the pace for a lap or 2 because Vettel's steering wheel issue was not the sort of issue that would permanently make the car slower for a certain amount of tenths or seconds, Vettel simply had to drive slower by keeping off the curbs in order not to aggravate the issue. In fact, Vettel did pick up his pace in several occasions and even had a faster personal best lap in comparison with Hamilton.

Quote:
and I bet if KR would have done so, LH would have followed suit rather quickly.

And I bet if Kimi was somehow able to overtake Vettel but opted not to and kept going on Vettel's pace instead, then LH for sure should have overtaken both Ferraris easily, starting with Kimi.. but ofcourse, that never happen.

Last edited by Migen on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:50 am 

:nod:
optimisteprime wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Why on earth would anyone vote for Raikkonen? His team-mate beat him despite a faulty car.
I wouldn't have, had that been the full story. But it wasn't.

optimisteprime wrote:
Had Vettel had full reliability then Kimi wouldn't have been anywhere near him and the crazy tinfoil hat brigade wouldn't have been able claim that Kimi's inability to overtake on a track where overtaking is extremely difficult is some kind of bizarre example of team orders.
It wasn't due to some kind of bizarre example of team orders, their was no need for them. He was brought in when he still had the speed to stay out, as he told the team after the pitstop. Does that ring any bells?
As for Vettel's car, while I don't know the full background of his problem, nor the time it manifested itself, the fact that Ferrari kept him in front tells you enough for what the interaction between the two drivers concerns.

One of my honourable mentions would have gone to Vettel for racing with a less than optimum car. But he wasn't the driver of the weekend.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:06 pm 

Alonso.

Easily the best of the rest behind the big three teams and able to shine on a circuit where chassis is more important than power.