planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:47 pm 

Forbes is reporting that all of the above named tracks are in danger of leaving the calendar, either next year or the following year.

If we lose these tracks, the F1 season will be radically different. How many new tracks will replace the old ones?

Singapore I would not mind losing, but the other three are either iconic tracks that should be preserved at all costs or fascinating new track that has proven to be good over the long term.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:01 pm 

Sepang we knew about before the year started. The organisers dont wish to continue under current pay scheme.
Would be sad to lose Sepand and Monza. As much as I like Silverstone, I will be fine with British GP relocating.

Singapore is fun race to attend. Its fun event but as a race, I dont find it thrilling enough.

I think some of the circuits are just bad for current cars. Silverstone being one of them. Not enough braking to recover energy and then it becomes all out IEC formula at the sharp end.

As much as I love watching classical circuits, I dont mind new circuits. Baku is one such mad circuit to have on calender. Say whatever you want about that race, the turn 1 and long straight provides fireworks.

I dont mind street circuits like that one.

They must find a way to keep Monza and British GP though. If not at Silverstone, somewhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:17 pm 

Monza very recently signed a new contract. Singapore I would now include as an Iconic race. A new classic if you will.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:18 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Monza very recently signed a new contract. Singapore I would now include as an Iconic race. A new classic if you will.

According to Forbes, there is no deal with Monza. I could not find any evidence that they are wrong. Do you have a link?

You have a very low bar for iconic races if Singapore qualifies! It is different, that is for sure but iconic? Hardly.

Iconic: widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence. I fail to see how Singapore fits into that description.

Singapore is most widely know for crashgate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:29 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

According to Forbes, there is no deal with Monza. I could not find any evidence that they are wrong. Do you have a link?

You have a very low bar for iconic races if Singapore qualifies! It is different, that is for sure but iconic? Hardly.

Iconic: widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence. I fail to see how Singapore fits into that description.

Singapore has a lot going for it. It was the first F1 night race which I know doesn't mean a lot in itself but it does mean that the track is cemented in F1 history books.

It's also one of the toughest races on the calendar for the drivers with the tight twisty circuit requiring absolute concentration while battling extreme temperatures and the longest GP of the year. I wouldn't want to lose Singapore, it stands out on the calendar from all the other GPs due to it being a completely different challenge.

I would agree with mikeyg123 that it's a modern classic and for me it is iconic. I think it produces an excellent challenge for drivers and teams and I definitely think that it is distinct for the reasons listed above.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:29 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Only true night race. It makes it look so different to any other Grand Prix.

I think it fits that description perfectly.

As for Monza - http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35405.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:04 pm 

Unfortunately, tracks come and go on the calendar. There are various reasons why they may be dropped, but behind it all are valid reasons in the minds of the organizers. Unfortunately attempting to plead the "iconic" card falls on deaf ears, because there are scores of tracks that could be defined as "iconic" or "historic".

Liberty have taken over, and they will be the ones to decide what tracks will be on the calendar. From the noise I have been hearing from them, they intend to create a full fan experience, where more than just hard core race fans can enjoy a full day. There will be concerts, rides, and of course, the race. IMO long gone are the days when a track in the middle of farmer's fields will host a race, where they require considerable travel from major population centers and offer little but the race itself.

We must remember that while us fans focus on the cars, drivers, and track layouts, Liberty are looking beyond that horizon at attracting new viewers via social media and ease of access. Because they realize more than most of us that Formula One is entertainment first, and racing second.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:31 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:

I think Singapore is actually mostly known for being the first and only real night race. Crashgate is not widely known outside actual fans, and even within that category a lot of them have managed to move past it. Would you say Suzuka is mostly known for Senna and Prost hitting each other? That's closer to being true, IMO.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:41 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Singapore has a lot going for it. It was the first F1 night race which I know doesn't mean a lot in itself but it does mean that the track is cemented in F1 history books.

It's also one of the toughest races on the calendar for the drivers with the tight twisty circuit requiring absolute concentration while battling extreme temperatures and the longest GP of the year. I wouldn't want to lose Singapore, it stands out on the calendar from all the other GPs due to it being a completely different challenge.

I would agree with mikeyg123 that it's a modern classic and for me it is iconic. I think it produces an excellent challenge for drivers and teams and I definitely think that it is distinct for the reasons listed above.

Completely agree.

I think Singapore would come higher than many current tracks, (including some that have a longer history) in my list of ones to keep.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:32 am 

For me it'd be a damn shame to lose races such as Monza & Silverstone. Although it's changed dramatically over the last 1/2 century, Silverstone hosted the first ever GP on the world drivers championship in 1950, and Monza is the home of the Tifosi which was also on the calendar in 1950 so there's a lot history in both circuits and while F1 should always look forward, the sport should still recognise it's history and these two tracks, as well as Monaco and Spa, should be retained.

England and Italy have such a history with F1 with every team based in one of those two countries (I know Haas has it's headquarters in the US but it does have a base in England as well), both countries supplying the most drivers (excluding US indy 500 drivers) and both countries filling the 2 of the top 3 spots when it comes to hosting a grand prix, and to lose either or both of those races would be to stick a big middle finger up to the very heart and soul of F1.

For me Singapore is just Monaco without the history but with pretty lights and a lot of tinsel and not a race I particularly look forward to. In fact along with Abu Dhabi & Bahrain it's probably one of the races I least get jumpy about, and with Monaco, Hungary and now Baku, which I enjoy more than Singapore, on the calendar, I think we've enough of these tight, strategic tracks to justify losing Singapore.

Malaysia is a race I initially didn't like (just another Tilkedrome) but it's one I've actually come to enjoy. It's given us some good races and it'll be sad not to see it on the calendar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:08 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
England and Italy have such a history with F1 with every team based in one of those two countries (I know Haas has it's headquarters in the US but it does have a base in England as well)

Sauber is based in neither...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:46 am 

Tufty wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
England and Italy have such a history with F1 with every team based in one of those two countries (I know Haas has it's headquarters in the US but it does have a base in England as well)

Sauber is based in neither...

Damn it Tufty. I forgot about them.

Oh well, that's my argument down the toilet then.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:53 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I'd like Monza & Singapore to stay. Monza for obvious reasons. Singapore is a street circuit but has a different identity of its own. A night race in a beautiful & tourist friendly country is something very much appealing.

Unlike Monaco, there are opportunities to overtake there but the penalties for mistake or over-driving are just as severe.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:37 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Unfortunately, tracks come and go on the calendar. There are various reasons why they may be dropped, but behind it all are valid reasons in the minds of the organizers. Unfortunately attempting to plead the "iconic" card falls on deaf ears, because there are scores of tracks that could be defined as "iconic" or "historic".

Liberty have taken over, and they will be the ones to decide what tracks will be on the calendar. From the noise I have been hearing from them, they intend to create a full fan experience, where more than just hard core race fans can enjoy a full day. There will be concerts, rides, and of course, the race. IMO long gone are the days when a track in the middle of farmer's fields will host a race, where they require considerable travel from major population centers and offer little but the race itself.

We must remember that while us fans focus on the cars, drivers, and track layouts, Liberty are looking beyond that horizon at attracting new viewers via social media and ease of access. Because they realize more than most of us that Formula One is entertainment first, and racing second.

The 1 time I went to the British GP (my home GP) I was bitterly disappointed, there was literally nothing there other than the races and the place (except for where the rich folks and teams are) is a complete dump! The only saving grace for the entire weekend was the other fans and spending time with them in the pub and campsite away from the circuit.

If I compare that to other motorsport events I've been to, BTCC and formula E, it is almost 10 times the price for so much less. Even formula e's free test days at Donnington had more for the fans. It's not about hardcore fans enjoying the events, it's about actually making an event worth the money that the fans have to pay because the circuit has to pay it and f1 under Bernie failed miserably in the UK. I hope Liberty can do better, which won't be hard as the bar was set low for them from their predecessors.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:59 pm 

Don't want to see any of those circuits go except Sepang.
Silverstone is just a beautiful circuit, so many wonderful corners, offers opportunities to overtake and is a fair track overall.
Singapore is extremely challenging for the drivers, the cars look fantastic there at night and the surroundings are beautiful.
Monza is just a classic and is synonymous with F1. You just can't lose it.
Sepang is also a very good circuit but it lacks cachet. I will miss it, but not terribly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:12 am 

Id rather they raced at Mugello than Monza. Its impossible not to have an Italian GP whilst Ferrari are in the championship

I think Singapore will remain on the calendar. They just want a cheaper fee.

There is no circuit in the UK other than Silverstone than can hose an F1 GP. Everyone talks about Donington, I went there a few years ago and the facilities are archaic. Its a million miles away from hosting an F1 race and thats before mentioning the circuits access

Sepang is a great facility. I think its a shame F1 is unsustainable there

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:01 am 

You guys should try being in Australia around February/March of any year.

Every year the media report the Melbourne race is in jeopardy and will either be replaced by another Australian circuit or disappear from the calendar altogether.

And yet every few years the deal is extended (long term).

With the new F1 ownership, I dare say a few promoters are trying to renegotiate their deals to remove the Bernie premium. Threatening to disappear from the calendar seems effective.

I'm sure Silverstone will stay. Sepang have been clear about wanting a better deal. Monza is a mainstay and Singapore is a big and well-attended race.

I think there's other tracks which have walked further down the plank - Azerbaijan, Sochi, Mexico and even Austin would be more likely to end their deals early than the 4 tracks the OP is worrying about.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 am 

oz_karter wrote:

Every year the media report the Melbourne race is in jeopardy and will either be replaced by another Australian circuit or disappear from the calendar altogether.

With the new F1 ownership, I dare say a few promoters are trying to renegotiate their deals to remove the Bernie premium. Threatening to disappear from the calendar seems effective.

I'm sure Silverstone will stay. Sepang have been clear about wanting a better deal. Monza is a mainstay and Singapore is a big and well-attended race.

I think there's other tracks which have walked further down the plank - Azerbaijan, Sochi, Mexico and even Austin would be more likely to end their deals early than the 4 tracks the OP is worrying about.

There will be a Russian race on calender. If not Sochi, then somewhere else. There was also a talk of Moscow street race a while back.

Same with Mexico, its not going anywhere.

Austin too I dont see going anywhere and even if it does, you can bet a million $ that there will be a american race every single year if not 2 in the near future.

Silverstone and BRDC need to trade very carefully. That race should have been profitable for years. Its their own mismanagement that is resulting in losses. They are generating stellar revenue from ticket sales, not to mention other sources sponsored income, other events and track use fees, and still ending up with losses as they claim. They need to look on the inside and not at F1 for the reasons of financial failure.

I can easily see Silverstone going off from the calendar to be replaced by London street race.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:11 am 

funkymonkey wrote:
oz_karter wrote:

There will be a Russian race on calender. If not Sochi, then somewhere else. There was also a talk of Moscow street race a while back.

Austin too I dont see going anywhere and even if it does, you can bet a million $ that there will be a american race every single year if not 2 in the near future.

Silverstone and BRDC need to trade very carefully. That race should have been profitable for years. Its their own mismanagement that is resulting in losses. They are generating stellar revenue from ticket sales, not to mention other sources sponsored income, other events and track use fees, and still ending up with losses as they claim. They need to look on the inside and not at F1 for the reasons of financial failure.

I can easily see Silverstone going off from the calendar to be replaced by London street race.

Paid for by whom?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:29 am 

oz_karter wrote:
Every year the media report the Melbourne race is in jeopardy and will either be replaced by another Australian circuit

I wish they would return the Australian GP to Adelaide. Never liked the Melbourne track.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:30 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

I think Singapore is actually mostly known for being the first and only real night race. Crashgate is not widely known outside actual fans, and even within that category a lot of them have managed to move past it. Would you say Suzuka is mostly known for Senna and Prost hitting each other? That's closer to being true, IMO.

Nope. Suzuka is known for 130R, one of the greatest corners on the F1 calendar.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:33 pm 

funkymonkey wrote:
oz_karter wrote:

Not true. The amount of money that Silverstone has to hand over to F1 goes up every year and goes up a LOT.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:37 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

More so than the season finale of 89 or 90?

I would actually say what makes Suzuka so Iconic and stand out to the casual an is the figure of 8 layout.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:54 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

More so than the season finale of 89 or 90?

I would actually say what makes Suzuka so Iconic and stand out to the casual an is the figure of 8 layout.

That and the Ferris wheel!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:06 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
oz_karter wrote:

Not true. The amount of money that Silverstone has to hand over to F1 goes up every year and goes up a LOT.

it is true. BRDC made contract knowing full well what they are paying each year. And even this year they had record attendance of over 300,000 combined for all day. This is record attendance for any GP on the calendar. and British GP is nowhere close to being the most expensive GP to host, if the reports are to be believed, most flyaway races with exception of Australia pay way more to F1 management for hosting rights than any of the european countries. and Silverstone ticket prices are not chump change to begin with.

And Horner's reply said it all. He is a member there and will have access to annual budget and committee reports. And when he says the BRDC needs to look inside to fix their problems, I believe him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:15 pm 

funkymonkey wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
oz_karter wrote:

it is true. BRDC made contract knowing full well what they are paying each year. And even this year they had record attendance of over 300,000 combined for all day. This is record attendance for any GP on the calendar. and British GP is nowhere close to being the most expensive GP to host, if the reports are to be believed, most flyaway races with exception of Australia pay way more to F1 management for hosting rights than any of the european countries. and Silverstone ticket prices are not chump change to begin with.

And Horner's reply said it all. He is a member there and will have access to annual budget and committee reports. And when he says the BRDC needs to look inside to fix their problems, I believe him.

Whilst I'm not excusing BRDC completely, I'm sure there are things they can do better, those flyaway races almost always receive substantial government subsidies to pay for the GPs, which doesn't happen in the UK - so it's not really fair to compare the cost to the organisers.

It wouldn't surprise me if the logistics just cost more in this country too. Many things do!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:28 pm 

Herb wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
oz_karter wrote:

Whilst I'm not excusing BRDC completely, I'm sure there are things they can do better, those flyaway races almost always receive substantial government subsidies to pay for the GPs, which doesn't happen in the UK - so it's not really fair to compare the cost to the organisers.

It wouldn't surprise me if the logistics just cost more in this country too. Many things do!

If I remember right, the British Grand Prix is the ONLY F1 race that does not get any money from local or national governments.

That alone tells you what a disadvantage the British race runs against. Even the USA race gets tax breaks from the local government!