5 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
4 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
3 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
2 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 46
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:01 pm 

So we've had half a season to see the new technical regulations in action, we've seen laptimes decrease and overtaking becoming more difficult. The cars are wider, faster heavier and aesthetically very different.

So out of 10, with 10 being perfect and 0 being the worst a set of regulations could ever be, how would you rate them?

Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:12 pm 

Voted 6.

I've liked the changes.

I still don't like the regulation generally.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:14 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Voted 6.

I've liked the changes.

Sorry I reset the poll to get the numbers in ascending order so your vote has been reset.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:47 pm 

Mine went from 7 to 4...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:49 pm 

Well no doubt the cars are bigger but the issues of overtaking still remains, making the cars so DRS dependent to overtake.

The cars could've been louder & shouldn't have let the fins decorate the cars.

I'm happy with the season overall as I know the new owners will help make F1 greater than the past previous years.

Was thinking of 8 but will be content with 7.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:24 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Mine went from 7 to 4...

Well I'm just crap. Added the option 0 to reset it since 25% of the vote so far was moved to the wrong option.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:32 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Voted 6.

I've liked the changes.

I concur.

The cars are a vast improvement over what they were and I also like the fact they are allowing the drivers to race a bit more. But I think the regulations are too restrictive and they still seem too keen to ban things just for the sake of it. It's a step in the right direction but a long way from being perfect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:48 pm 

I do like the new cars , but still too many penalties that often spoil races and powertrain far too complicated and far too expensive , and why do we still have DRS or fake overtaking is a better name

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:03 pm 

The cars don't look better, and the racing isn't better. 6 months in it's still unclear what the changes were supposed to improve.
I don't like the fact too many incidents remain unpunished, but I don't think this is because of the rule change - perhaps the opposite.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:34 pm 

My favourite team is back, my favourite driver is back. He's enjoying pushing these cars.

And yet I rate these regulations a 2.

People are getting confused here. This season has been exciting not because of the regulations, but IN SPITE of them.

High aero, wider cars, will always, always spoil racing. Maybe people will realise how horrible it'll be when Ferrari might fall back. There will be no on-track action left, and no close championship fight to make up for it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:47 pm 

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
My favourite team is back, my favourite driver is back. He's enjoying pushing these cars.

People are getting confused here. This season has been exciting not because of the regulations, but IN SPITE of them.

High aero, wider cars, will always, always spoil racing. Maybe people will realise how horrible it'll be when Ferrari might fall back. There will be no on-track action left, and no close championship fight to make up for it.

I don't agree that's true. One of the changes with the biggest impact this year is the fact that the drivers can push much harder for much longer without having to worry about their tyres turning to mush. Less emphasis on conservation has been a massive boost, IMO. The drivers, too, have said they enjoy it much more. Although tyres still dictate things more than I'd like, they don't have anywhere near the impact they used to, which is an improvement all on its own

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:47 pm 

I have worked in customer care so I know 6s and 7s don't count. You are only rated by your 9&10s and your lower-than-6's. So it is either a 10 or a 0. I chose zero.

(digression: if you ever have a customer care worker on the phone and you receive a an email to rate your contact: if you are happy never give it an 8, this is supposed to be neutral. 9 or 10 are the only positives. You want the keep the poor (swear filter kicks in) -bastard- in the job, give an 9 or 10; you want him fired give anything between 0 and 8, he/she is better off being fired anyway. )

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:05 pm 

Frenk Biber wrote:
I have worked in customer care so I know 6s and 7s don't count. You are only rated by your 9&10s and your lower-than-6's. So it is either a 10 or a 0. I chose zero.

(digression: if you ever have a customer care worker on the phone and you receive a an email to rate your contact: if you are happy never give it an 8, this is supposed to be neutral. 9 or 10 are the only positives. You want the keep the poor (swear filter kicks in) -bastard- in the job, give an 9 or 10; you want him fired give anything between 0 and 8, he/she is better off being fired anyway. )

I'm aware this is true, but it represents a pollution of data. I do, unfortunately, give my service-people straight 10s if I'm happy with them, but that's because I don't want to receive a call asking what they did wrong because I gave them an eight.

However, this is not a binary question, and I didn't give it a binary answer.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:55 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Mine went from 7 to 4...

Well I'm just crap. Added the option 0 to reset it since 25% of the vote so far was moved to the wrong option.

Oh no, I wasn't having a go at you mate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:03 am 

Siao7 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Mine went from 7 to 4...

Oh no, I wasn't having a go at you mate

I know you weren't, thanks for letting me know. I just don't know how the polls work clearly :-P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:10 pm 

Frenk Biber wrote:

Only when working with Net Promoter Score. I'd be very surprised if more in depth information wasn't taken in to consideration at any time on any subject :)

I'd score the regulations a solid 8. I like them overall, perhaps inflated slightly because I had very low expectations coming in.

Overtaking isn't easy, but not impossible. Cars can follow much easier (in general), which leads to some more battles. The tyres aren't falling apart as much. The cars look fast as hell, and the laps are fast as hell. We've had some good battles between teams, and only Renault's relative failure is preventing 3 teams with very good cars fighting it out at different tracks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:18 pm 

Fiki wrote:

The cars don't look better, and the racing isn't better. 6 months in it's still unclear what the changes were supposed to improve.
I don't like the fact too many incidents remain unpunished, but I don't think this is because of the rule change - perhaps the opposite.

I agree, particularly if by 'incidents' you mean 'pushing others off the circuit'.

It's been a decent season so far but I feel this is primarily down to Mercedes actually having some competition rather than anything to do with the new regulations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:27 am 

I voted 8 but that's based on comparing them to the previous regulations. I like the fact that the cars are much faster and results are less artificial due to constant tyre conservation, but at the same time I understand people's frustration with the one stop races.....

Ill make it clear that I'm not a fan of adding more rules in general, but to aid people who object to one stop races I would be open to having rules whereby each team must use all three compounds in a race (making it a minimum two stopper). I would still want all of the compounds to be capable of being pushed hard for at least 1/3 to 1/2 race distance to keep them all driving as fast as possible rather than conserving, but obviously the grip level would still vary keeping the speed difference between compounds. This would also put more pressure on teams to ensure they have good pace on all compounds rather than just neglecting the harder compound for the weekend which has become standard operating procedure. Given that the relative pace of the cars seems to vary depending on the compound, it could make for some interesting sections in the race where a specific car struggles on a specific compound.

Thanks for the memories Nico

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:04 am 

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:

Others too. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:10 am 

Gave it a 4, simply because the difficulty they have in following each other making overtakes more rare and reliant on DRS. We knew this would happen, so did teams and drivers who often complained that it's the wrong way for F1 to take if you want to improve racing.

They look better, more racy, but the front wing is still far too wide and the cars are too big, too long.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:43 am 

j man wrote:
Fiki wrote:

I agree, particularly if by 'incidents' you mean 'pushing others off the circuit'.

It's been a decent season so far but I feel this is primarily down to Mercedes actually having some competition rather than anything to do with the new regulations.

Lets not be unfair here. The new regs were a shake up with the aim to make the cars look better, faster and harder to drive (this was from the official F1 website). So far I find this to be true.

Better looking; this is understandably subjective, I like the wider looks with the low rear wings personally

Faster; this has happened as well I believe, they have broken records that were held for years in different tracks

Harder to drive; Hamilton for example has mentioned that it feels like taming a bull now and also that the Merc was difficult to drive. Perez said he didn't notice much of a difference. It could be down to the driver I guess, but they are reaching the 8G barrier reportedly so there's that. Grosjean has said that they have to be more precise, that the speeds are insane. Alonso said that he is happy that they are difficult to drive now and they sort the men from the boys. So I tend to agree that they got this right.

As an added bonus, Liberty has allowed more video access, including drivers briefings! Nice for us.

I believe that the aim of the changes has been met so far. On the flip side, the cars seem to produce much more turbulence that makes them shred their tyres when they get close behind another one, so there's still work to be done. I remember Massa and Verstappen (I think it was them) saying that overtaking is definitely more difficult now and that we have reverted back to the early '00's when the overtaking was done through the pit stops! Yeah, definitely not the perfect item yet.

The sporting regs is another beast and I agree it looks like it hasn't been addressed. I want to see how they will solve this, as it is difficult to do. As long as sports are regulated by humans, you will have an error, which is true in most sports.

Edit - typo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:51 am 

Siao7 wrote:
On the flip side, the cars seem to produce much more turbulence
They don't just seem to, they do produce more turbulence. It's the logical outcome of allowing lots more downforce.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:54 am 

Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
They don't just seem to, they do produce more turbulence. It's the logical outcome of allowing lots more downforce.

Ok, and?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:01 am 

Meaning cars with clean air can go quicker. The closer a car comes to the car ahead the less downforce it gets, making it harder to overtake. Why these regulations are a step in the wrong direction if you want more overtakes and better racing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:06 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
Meaning cars with clean air can go quicker. The closer a car comes to the car ahead the less downforce it gets, making it harder to overtake. Why these regulations are a step in the wrong direction if you want more overtakes and better racing.

Yes, we know all that. Fiki didn't like the wording of "seem to produce". It didn't add up anything to the conversation, hence the "and?" comment. So let's word it like that, they do produce more turbulence. What does this change? I'm agreeing with this and saying that there's still work to be done and it's not the perfect item yet.

Amazing, it seems people are not able to understand simple written expressions some times. Or don't want to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:09 am 

Siao7 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Ok, and?
And nothing. :? :]
If the new rules wanted to render overtaking more difficult, then those who wrote them can claim success.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:32 pm 

I voted a 9 because I'm comparing with last season.

The biggest issue I had with the cars before the season started was that I knew overtaking would be harder and if I had voted last season at best it would have been a 4, however I never realised that the cars would be more difficult to drive and be more challenging for the drivers, that with the wider and more durable tyres we have cars that can be pushed more to the limit during the race and a limit that is more challenging for the drivers.

What it's given me is on reflection that low down force cars that allow for easier overtaking is not really F1 if the cars are not challenging the drivers themselves, also having tyres that destroy themselves when following cars too closely doesn't encourage racing either even if the cars themselves don't suffer as badly with turbulence.

So I've been pleasantly surprised that I was wrong about the new cars although overtaklng is obviously still an issue which only really has any chance of address with DRS.

So a 9 because overtaking is still an issue so the cars are still not quite right, we need monsters but monsters that allow overtaking, I guess that's what Brawn and his technical group are presently trying to sort out?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 11th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:14 pm 

Same old, same old. Cars are faster, contested racing is less.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:19 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

Yes, we know all that. Fiki didn't like the wording of "seem to produce". It didn't add up anything to the conversation, hence the "and?" comment. So let's word it like that, they do produce more turbulence. What does this change? I'm agreeing with this and saying that there's still work to be done and it's not the perfect item yet.

Amazing, it seems people are not able to understand simple written expressions some times. Or don't want to.

K, calm now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:17 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:

K, calm now.

Calm as you are!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:41 am 

They've done nothing to address the stupid front wings.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:44 pm 

Indeed, still the damn snowplow front wing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:10 am 

Gave them an 8.
Happy with the speed of the cars and the fact they are obviously hard to drive. Tires are able to withstand racing. Overtaking is difficult but not impossible. I like that.
I just wish the cars sounded better, more violent.
Don't like the FIA penalties for having to use extra components. I think it should just be a monetary fine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:24 am 

I don't think a 10 is possible. Racing quality, outright speed, development openness, car beauty, costs... Improve one and another will worsen.

Voted a solid 7.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:22 am 

pokerman wrote:
I voted a 9 because I'm comparing with last season.

The biggest issue I had with the cars before the season started was that I knew overtaking would be harder and if I had voted last season at best it would have been a 4, however I never realised that the cars would be more difficult to drive and be more challenging for the drivers, that with the wider and more durable tyres we have cars that can be pushed more to the limit during the race and a limit that is more challenging for the drivers.

What it's given me is on reflection that low down force cars that allow for easier overtaking is not really F1 if the cars are not challenging the drivers themselves, also having tyres that destroy themselves when following cars too closely doesn't encourage racing either even if the cars themselves don't suffer as badly with turbulence.

So I've been pleasantly surprised that I was wrong about the new cars although overtaklng is obviously still an issue which only really has any chance of address with DRS.

So a 9 because overtaking is still an issue so the cars are still not quite right, we need monsters but monsters that allow overtaking, I guess that's what Brawn and his technical group are presently trying to sort out?

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:56 am 

Frenk Biber wrote:

Welcome to my world!

So looking at the voting figures above, the new regulations has an NPS score of -39. With 48.78% Detractors, 41.46% Neutrals and 9.76% Promoters. Plenty of room to improve. As a guide, an NPS score of 40 - 50 is considered World Class, Your Googles, Apples etc.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:01 pm 

why do we still have DRS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:36 am 

slide wrote:
why do we still have DRS

because without it no one can overtake

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS