Vandoorne 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Magnussen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grosjean 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wehrlein 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 58
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:30 pm 

Driver of The Weekend 2017 - Italy

Cast your vote for the 2017 Italian Grand Prix!

Rules & Format
Quote:
- Voting is based on driver performance (not who has the prettiest girlfriend/best haircut)
- Voting is based on performance of the whole race weekend, so qualifying counts towards your assessment.
- You only get one vote
- The poll will start on either on the day of the GP (or Monday if I am unable to for some reason)
- The poll will run until Friday so that it will always end before the next GP
- The top three voted for drivers will earn points towards a championship table as follows:
- 1st: 5 points
- 2nd: 3 points
- 3rd: 1 point
- Ties will be decided by finishing position

Standings after Belgium
Code:
   |  Driver      | Points |
1  |  Hamilton    |   32   |
2  |  Vettel      |   29   |
3  |  Bottas      |    9   |
4  |  Ricciardo   |    7   |
5  |  Stroll      |    5   |
6  |  Alonso      |    5   |
7  |  Perez       |    3   |
8  |  Sainz       |    3   |
9  |  Hulkenberg  |    3   |
10 |  Wehrlein    |    3   |
11 |  Giovinazzi  |    3   |
12 |  Raikkonen   |    1   |
13 |  Verstappen  |    1   |
14 |  Ocon        |    1   |
15 |  Grosjean    |    1   |

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:33 pm 

Hamilton for pure dominance but went for Ricciardo for a great fight back.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:34 pm 

Gotta be Lewis again.
Considered Ricciardo but he didn't beat his teammate in qualifying.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:41 pm 

Between Hamilton and Ocon for me. I may wait a bit and see how the poll goes since they tend to be quite one sided, Ocon may need the vote more!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:47 pm 

Ocon. Really showed some class in difficult conditions in qualifying and then delivered what was realistically the best possible result in the race.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:59 pm 

Hard to look past Hamilton again, pretty much the perfect weekend even with difficult quali conditions and a potential banana skin with Stroll and Ocon behind him at the start of the race.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:17 pm 

j man wrote:
Ocon. Really showed some class in difficult conditions in qualifying and then delivered what was realistically the best possible result in the race.

I'm not sure who did better over the whole weekend between Ocon and Stroll. Ocon was over 7 tenths slower than Stroll in the final session of qualifying. And the Williams is usually very poor in the wet but I think they got it right this time. In the race, I think they were about the same until Stroll had the lock up. But even after this, he kept it under control very well. So Ocon's race was better, but I personally think Stroll's qualifying time was a fair bit more impressive considering Williams has a history of being poor in the wet and the fact they have been struggling to get out of Q1 recently too. I think I'm probably going for Stroll but not sure yet.

One think I can say about Stroll is he has improved as a driver so much this year. If this continues, I think he certainly will deserve to stay in the sport next year. His money will be a bonus.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:12 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
j man wrote:

I'm not sure who did better over the whole weekend between Ocon and Stroll. Ocon was over 7 tenths slower than Stroll in the final session of qualifying. And the Williams is usually very poor in the wet but I think they got it right this time. In the race, I think they were about the same until Stroll had the lock up. But even after this, he kept it under control very well. So Ocon's race was better, but I personally think Stroll's qualifying time was a fair bit more impressive considering Williams has a history of being poor in the wet and the fact they have been struggling to get out of Q1 recently too. I think I'm probably going for Stroll but not sure yet.

One think I can say about Stroll is he has improved as a driver so much this year. If this continues, I think he certainly will deserve to stay in the sport next year. His money will be a bonus.

I agree, I went for Ocon on the basis of him getting the better of Stroll on race day but Stroll's qualifying was mightily impressive, and even more so when you consider that he hadn't even driven an F1 car in the wet before.

I've been very critical of Stroll this year but he's starting to come good I think. It's pretty clear that he's been dropped into the race seat long before he was ready but he's shown a level of maturity well beyond his years and his approach this year has been absolutely spot on: to be conservative, stay out of trouble and treat it as a learning year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:23 pm 

It was tough between Hamilton, Ocon and Ricciardo for me. Honorable mention to Stroll. I ended up going for Ocon because Ricciardo lost out to Max in qualifying and I just felt Hamilton had a very smooth weekend While Ocon was really above and beyond. Was particularly impressed with him in the first stint.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:39 pm 

Went with Hamilton, but almost equally impressed by Ocon and Stroll.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:37 pm 

Hamilton was completely dominant, but I went with Ricciardo because of the massive jump he made from where he started. It would probably be a no-brainer if he could've gotten up to 3rd, but the 4th-place was pretty nice too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:16 pm 

I am pleased to see Hamilton get the vast majority of votes. Very pleased.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:30 pm 

Went for Ricciardo by virtue of the fact he shouldn't have been able to jump a Ferrari from where he started. Was very impressed by Ocon and Stroll, too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:33 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Went for Ricciardo by virtue of the fact he shouldn't have been able to jump a Ferrari from where he started. Was very impressed by Ocon and Stroll, too.

One move makes a whole weekend? Hilarious.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:37 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:

where did I say one move made a whole weekend?

Are you appointing yourself the arbiter of who may vote for whom? is there an approved list?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:41 pm 

Hamilton mainly for that rainy pole. The Mercedes was the best car but Bottas was still over two seconds behind in sixth.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:42 pm 

My head says Hamilton, my heart says Strol. OK Strol was not in the same class as the top 2, but in comparison it was a superlative effort.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:00 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Are you appointing yourself the arbiter of who may vote for whom? is there an approved list?

Uh, the name of the poll is "Driver of the WEEKEND".

From your own text you voted for RIC (as driver of the WEEKEND) due to a single move over a Ferrari.

Seems more than a little odd.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:01 pm 

mas wrote:
Hamilton mainly for that rainy pole. The Mercedes was the best car but Bottas was still over two seconds behind in sixth.

Yep, it was quite an effort. Hamilton loves the slop.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:30 pm 

For Driver of the Weekend, I'm going to have to go with Hamilton. He was flawless in quali, and in the race he was just coasting. Ricciardo was close to Max in quali, but close doesn't cut it for DotW.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:02 pm 

Interesting how several have noted Ricciardo did not out-qualify Max Verstappen. For me there are two separate points here:

1. Ricciardo had grid penalties that meant focusing preparations on qualifying pace would be poor judgement.
2. Versappen is Ricciardos team mate, and Max had arguably the best performance of anyone in qualifying. So if Ricciardo's team mate was a regular mortal, than Ricciardo could be considered driver of the week?

So if you are outperformed by the arguably best qualifyer of the week.... you cannot be driver of the week?

I suggest Max even in real terms out-qualified Hamilton. Any driver who was not the ultimate qualifier for the weekend cannot be driver of the week?

Further, the efforts of Max had in qualifying put Max in contention for driver of the week at that time. But if the race results were reversed and Max had finished 4th or even 3rd, would Max be ruled out because the only driver with a better passing move happened to be his team mate?

So I voted for Ricciardo, because so many others already judged him as the best but then ruled him out for seems to be a reason that is both invalid and an insult to just how good Verstappen was in qualifying.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:26 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:

When a Mercedes or Ferrari driver wins they get the vote. Only time that hasn't happened was Hungary when Vettel didn't win the poll. Other than that race win=DOTW win basically.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:43 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

When a Mercedes or Ferrari driver wins they get the vote. Only time that hasn't happened was Hungary when Vettel didn't win the poll. Other than that race win=DOTW win basically.

Hamilton fans would vote for Hamilton even if he qualified last and retired on the warm up lap after somehow losing control and spinning into the gravel. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:58 pm 

Would have been Ricciardo if he had've beaten Verstappen in Qualy.

Hamilton for pure domination in both conditions .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:02 am 

MasterRacer wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Hamilton fans would vote for Hamilton even if he qualified last and retired on the warm up lap after somehow losing control and spinning into the gravel. :lol:

Yes it's quite outrageous voting for the guy that got pole and won the race, however let's not flag up any driver that got votes despite being out qualified by their teammate, this is DOTW after all and not DOTD.

It's also quite amusing seeing someone not voting for a driver because he got out qualified by his teammate so that automatically discounts him and then today he votes for a driver that got out qualified by his teammate.

I'm generalising with the last paragraph I don't mean you.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:48 am 

Hamilton, Ocon or Stroll. Can't decide

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:01 am 

I've got to go with Hamilton. He was coasting in the race, and his wet pole lap was really something. Honorable mentions to Ocon and Stroll, but I can't honestly say either of them did better than Hamilton... although I did consider voting for each one of them before settling on Hamilton.

Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 4 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:07 am 

iano wrote:
2. Versappen is Ricciardos team mate, and Max had arguably the best performance of anyone in qualifying. So if Ricciardo's team mate was a regular mortal, than Ricciardo could be considered driver of the week?

I can't see a case for that at all. Verstappen was out-qualified by over a second by Hamilton, and in the wet the Red Bull is not a second slower than the Mercedes. Hamilton had the best qualifying performance, and it wasn't even close.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:31 am 

Exediron wrote:
iano wrote:

I can't see a case for that at all. Verstappen was out-qualified by over a second by Hamilton, and in the wet the Red Bull is not a second slower than the Mercedes. Hamilton had the best qualifying performance, and it wasn't even close.

Are you sure about that?

Horner said they were running very low downforce over the weekend (and this is supported by Ricciardo's trap speeds).

Low downforce is a major disadvantage in the wet.

The Mercedes is always running high downforce because that mighty engine still gets them down the straights at a reasonable clip.

I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it out to be.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:35 am 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Uh, the name of the poll is "Driver of the WEEKEND".

From your own text you voted for RIC (as driver of the WEEKEND) due to a single move over a Ferrari.

Seems more than a little odd.

I didn't vote due to a single move, nor did I say I did. The fact that he was in the running against the Ferraris at all was quite impressive, considering where he started. They both should have been miles up the road from him, which means he made an excellent recovery

Again, why am I not allowed to vote for him?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:53 am 

I think Mercedes were too dominant to get any real impression and there was no real barometer because Hamilton and Bottas didn't race.

Ricciardo then, because the race >> Ham's qualifying. I don't tend to like the argument that marginalises dominance and then builds assumptions but in this instance there really was no real barometer for the Mercedes drivers and so they were not allowed to show their full performance, as good as it may have been.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:11 am 

Well, for the first time, I gave a vote to Vandoorne.

Anyone take offense to this? :D

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:55 am 

mds wrote:

He's a fair enough choice; looking marginally faster than Alonso is more than about 90% of the rest of the grid could probably do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:09 pm 

oz_karter wrote:
Exediron wrote:
iano wrote:

Are you sure about that?

Horner said they were running very low downforce over the weekend (and this is supported by Ricciardo's trap speeds).

Low downforce is a major disadvantage in the wet.

The Mercedes is always running high downforce because that mighty engine still gets them down the straights at a reasonable clip.

I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it out to be.

With that logic Ferrari should have been on pole because they ran more down force than Mercedes, what you say is normally the case but for some reason Monza was an anomaly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:11 pm 

Exediron wrote:
mds wrote:

He's a fair enough choice; looking marginally faster than Alonso is more than about 90% of the rest of the grid could probably do.

Although Alonso backed off on his last lap in case he knocked Vandoorne out of Q3.