planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:26 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic

Driver of the weekend: Italian GP
Poll ended at Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:30 pm
Hamilton 50%  50%  [ 29 ]
Bottas 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Vettel 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Raikkonen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ricciardo 19%  19%  [ 11 ]
Verstappen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Massa 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Stroll 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Perez 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ocon 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Sainz 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Kvyat 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hulkenberg 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Palmer 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Alonso 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Vandoorne 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Magnussen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grosjean 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wehrlein 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 58
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6533
Driver of The Weekend 2017 - Italy

Cast your vote for the 2017 Italian Grand Prix!


Rules & Format
Quote:
- Voting is based on driver performance (not who has the prettiest girlfriend/best haircut)
- Voting is based on performance of the whole race weekend, so qualifying counts towards your assessment.
- You only get one vote
- The poll will start on either on the day of the GP (or Monday if I am unable to for some reason)
- The poll will run until Friday so that it will always end before the next GP
- The top three voted for drivers will earn points towards a championship table as follows:
- 1st: 5 points
- 2nd: 3 points
- 3rd: 1 point
- Ties will be decided by finishing position



Standings after Belgium
Code:
   |  Driver      | Points |
1  |  Hamilton    |   32   |
2  |  Vettel      |   29   |
3  |  Bottas      |    9   |
4  |  Ricciardo   |    7   |
5  |  Stroll      |    5   |
6  |  Alonso      |    5   |
7  |  Perez       |    3   |
8  |  Sainz       |    3   |
9  |  Hulkenberg  |    3   |
10 |  Wehrlein    |    3   |
11 |  Giovinazzi  |    3   |
12 |  Raikkonen   |    1   |
13 |  Verstappen  |    1   |
14 |  Ocon        |    1   |
15 |  Grosjean    |    1   |


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 4091
Location: LONDON...!
Hamilton for pure dominance but went for Ricciardo for a great fight back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm
Posts: 429
Gotta be Lewis again.
Considered Ricciardo but he didn't beat his teammate in qualifying.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6533
Between Hamilton and Ocon for me. I may wait a bit and see how the poll goes since they tend to be quite one sided, Ocon may need the vote more!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2472
Location: UK
Ocon. Really showed some class in difficult conditions in qualifying and then delivered what was realistically the best possible result in the race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 1995
Location: England
Hard to look past Hamilton again, pretty much the perfect weekend even with difficult quali conditions and a potential banana skin with Stroll and Ocon behind him at the start of the race.

_________________
http://tsatr.mooo.com
The Sun and The Rain - The reluctant runner.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:17 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 829
j man wrote:
Ocon. Really showed some class in difficult conditions in qualifying and then delivered what was realistically the best possible result in the race.

I'm not sure who did better over the whole weekend between Ocon and Stroll. Ocon was over 7 tenths slower than Stroll in the final session of qualifying. And the Williams is usually very poor in the wet but I think they got it right this time. In the race, I think they were about the same until Stroll had the lock up. But even after this, he kept it under control very well. So Ocon's race was better, but I personally think Stroll's qualifying time was a fair bit more impressive considering Williams has a history of being poor in the wet and the fact they have been struggling to get out of Q1 recently too. I think I'm probably going for Stroll but not sure yet.

One think I can say about Stroll is he has improved as a driver so much this year. If this continues, I think he certainly will deserve to stay in the sport next year. His money will be a bonus.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2472
Location: UK
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
j man wrote:
Ocon. Really showed some class in difficult conditions in qualifying and then delivered what was realistically the best possible result in the race.

I'm not sure who did better over the whole weekend between Ocon and Stroll. Ocon was over 7 tenths slower than Stroll in the final session of qualifying. And the Williams is usually very poor in the wet but I think they got it right this time. In the race, I think they were about the same until Stroll had the lock up. But even after this, he kept it under control very well. So Ocon's race was better, but I personally think Stroll's qualifying time was a fair bit more impressive considering Williams has a history of being poor in the wet and the fact they have been struggling to get out of Q1 recently too. I think I'm probably going for Stroll but not sure yet.

One think I can say about Stroll is he has improved as a driver so much this year. If this continues, I think he certainly will deserve to stay in the sport next year. His money will be a bonus.

I agree, I went for Ocon on the basis of him getting the better of Stroll on race day but Stroll's qualifying was mightily impressive, and even more so when you consider that he hadn't even driven an F1 car in the wet before.

I've been very critical of Stroll this year but he's starting to come good I think. It's pretty clear that he's been dropped into the race seat long before he was ready but he's shown a level of maturity well beyond his years and his approach this year has been absolutely spot on: to be conservative, stay out of trouble and treat it as a learning year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:23 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 3878
It was tough between Hamilton, Ocon and Ricciardo for me. Honorable mention to Stroll. I ended up going for Ocon because Ricciardo lost out to Max in qualifying and I just felt Hamilton had a very smooth weekend While Ocon was really above and beyond. Was particularly impressed with him in the first stint.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 1022
Location: London
Went with Hamilton, but almost equally impressed by Ocon and Stroll.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 10:05 pm
Posts: 40
Location: Lawton, OK
Hamilton was completely dominant, but I went with Ricciardo because of the massive jump he made from where he started. It would probably be a no-brainer if he could've gotten up to 3rd, but the 4th-place was pretty nice too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 1231
I am pleased to see Hamilton get the vast majority of votes. Very pleased.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20199
Went for Ricciardo by virtue of the fact he shouldn't have been able to jump a Ferrari from where he started. Was very impressed by Ocon and Stroll, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 1231
Zoue wrote:
Went for Ricciardo by virtue of the fact he shouldn't have been able to jump a Ferrari from where he started. Was very impressed by Ocon and Stroll, too.


One move makes a whole weekend? Hilarious.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20199
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Went for Ricciardo by virtue of the fact he shouldn't have been able to jump a Ferrari from where he started. Was very impressed by Ocon and Stroll, too.


One move makes a whole weekend? Hilarious.

where did I say one move made a whole weekend?

Are you appointing yourself the arbiter of who may vote for whom? is there an approved list?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:29 am
Posts: 1799
Hamilton mainly for that rainy pole. The Mercedes was the best car but Bottas was still over two seconds behind in sixth.

_________________
"Come on, get the McLaren out of the way!”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7502
My head says Hamilton, my heart says Strol. OK Strol was not in the same class as the top 2, but in comparison it was a superlative effort.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 1231
Zoue wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Went for Ricciardo by virtue of the fact he shouldn't have been able to jump a Ferrari from where he started. Was very impressed by Ocon and Stroll, too.


One move makes a whole weekend? Hilarious.

where did I say one move made a whole weekend?

Are you appointing yourself the arbiter of who may vote for whom? is there an approved list?


Uh, the name of the poll is "Driver of the WEEKEND".

From your own text you voted for RIC (as driver of the WEEKEND) due to a single move over a Ferrari.

Seems more than a little odd.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 1231
mas wrote:
Hamilton mainly for that rainy pole. The Mercedes was the best car but Bottas was still over two seconds behind in sixth.


Yep, it was quite an effort. Hamilton loves the slop.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4202
Location: Michigan, USA
For Driver of the Weekend, I'm going to have to go with Hamilton. He was flawless in quali, and in the race he was just coasting. Ricciardo was close to Max in quali, but close doesn't cut it for DotW.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:49 am
Posts: 179
Interesting how several have noted Ricciardo did not out-qualify Max Verstappen. For me there are two separate points here:

1. Ricciardo had grid penalties that meant focusing preparations on qualifying pace would be poor judgement.
2. Versappen is Ricciardos team mate, and Max had arguably the best performance of anyone in qualifying. So if Ricciardo's team mate was a regular mortal, than Ricciardo could be considered driver of the week?

So if you are outperformed by the arguably best qualifyer of the week.... you cannot be driver of the week?

I suggest Max even in real terms out-qualified Hamilton. Any driver who was not the ultimate qualifier for the weekend cannot be driver of the week?

Further, the efforts of Max had in qualifying put Max in contention for driver of the week at that time. But if the race results were reversed and Max had finished 4th or even 3rd, would Max be ruled out because the only driver with a better passing move happened to be his team mate?

So I voted for Ricciardo, because so many others already judged him as the best but then ruled him out for seems to be a reason that is both invalid and an insult to just how good Verstappen was in qualifying.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6533
Herb Tarlik wrote:
I am pleased to see Hamilton get the vast majority of votes. Very pleased.

When a Mercedes or Ferrari driver wins they get the vote. Only time that hasn't happened was Hungary when Vettel didn't win the poll. Other than that race win=DOTW win basically.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:34 am
Posts: 234
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
I am pleased to see Hamilton get the vast majority of votes. Very pleased.

When a Mercedes or Ferrari driver wins they get the vote. Only time that hasn't happened was Hungary when Vettel didn't win the poll. Other than that race win=DOTW win basically.


Hamilton fans would vote for Hamilton even if he qualified last and retired on the warm up lap after somehow losing control and spinning into the gravel. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:08 am
Posts: 159
Would have been Ricciardo if he had've beaten Verstappen in Qualy.

Hamilton for pure domination in both conditions .

_________________
1996 and Onwards
Ricciardo .:. Massa .:. Alonso .:. Sainz .:. Ocon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
MasterRacer wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
I am pleased to see Hamilton get the vast majority of votes. Very pleased.

When a Mercedes or Ferrari driver wins they get the vote. Only time that hasn't happened was Hungary when Vettel didn't win the poll. Other than that race win=DOTW win basically.


Hamilton fans would vote for Hamilton even if he qualified last and retired on the warm up lap after somehow losing control and spinning into the gravel. :lol:

Yes it's quite outrageous voting for the guy that got pole and won the race, however let's not flag up any driver that got votes despite being out qualified by their teammate, this is DOTW after all and not DOTD.

It's also quite amusing seeing someone not voting for a driver because he got out qualified by his teammate so that automatically discounts him and then today he votes for a driver that got out qualified by his teammate.

I'm generalising with the last paragraph I don't mean you.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9380
Location: Ireland
Hamilton, Ocon or Stroll. Can't decide

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 am
Posts: 484
Location: Michigan, USA
I've got to go with Hamilton. He was coasting in the race, and his wet pole lap was really something. Honorable mentions to Ocon and Stroll, but I can't honestly say either of them did better than Hamilton... although I did consider voting for each one of them before settling on Hamilton.

_________________
Top Three: 5 wins, 15 podiums | 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 15th [6th]
Pick 10: 1 win, 3 podiums | 2016: 22nd | 2017: 25th
F1 Oracle: 5 wins | 2016: 6th | 2017: 5th
Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 4 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4202
Location: Michigan, USA
iano wrote:
2. Versappen is Ricciardos team mate, and Max had arguably the best performance of anyone in qualifying. So if Ricciardo's team mate was a regular mortal, than Ricciardo could be considered driver of the week?

I can't see a case for that at all. Verstappen was out-qualified by over a second by Hamilton, and in the wet the Red Bull is not a second slower than the Mercedes. Hamilton had the best qualifying performance, and it wasn't even close.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 157
Exediron wrote:
iano wrote:
2. Versappen is Ricciardos team mate, and Max had arguably the best performance of anyone in qualifying. So if Ricciardo's team mate was a regular mortal, than Ricciardo could be considered driver of the week?

I can't see a case for that at all. Verstappen was out-qualified by over a second by Hamilton, and in the wet the Red Bull is not a second slower than the Mercedes. Hamilton had the best qualifying performance, and it wasn't even close.


Are you sure about that?

Horner said they were running very low downforce over the weekend (and this is supported by Ricciardo's trap speeds).

Low downforce is a major disadvantage in the wet.

The Mercedes is always running high downforce because that mighty engine still gets them down the straights at a reasonable clip.

I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it out to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 20199
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Went for Ricciardo by virtue of the fact he shouldn't have been able to jump a Ferrari from where he started. Was very impressed by Ocon and Stroll, too.


One move makes a whole weekend? Hilarious.

where did I say one move made a whole weekend?

Are you appointing yourself the arbiter of who may vote for whom? is there an approved list?


Uh, the name of the poll is "Driver of the WEEKEND".

From your own text you voted for RIC (as driver of the WEEKEND) due to a single move over a Ferrari.

Seems more than a little odd.

I didn't vote due to a single move, nor did I say I did. The fact that he was in the running against the Ferraris at all was quite impressive, considering where he started. They both should have been miles up the road from him, which means he made an excellent recovery

Again, why am I not allowed to vote for him?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 1072
I think Mercedes were too dominant to get any real impression and there was no real barometer because Hamilton and Bottas didn't race.

Ricciardo then, because the race >> Ham's qualifying. I don't tend to like the argument that marginalises dominance and then builds assumptions but in this instance there really was no real barometer for the Mercedes drivers and so they were not allowed to show their full performance, as good as it may have been.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10403
Well, for the first time, I gave a vote to Vandoorne.

Anyone take offense to this? :D

_________________
Supporting all drivers with surnames starting with "V".

Proud member of the "It's Toro Rosso, not Torro Rosso" action committee.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4202
Location: Michigan, USA
mds wrote:
Well, for the first time, I gave a vote to Vandoorne.

Anyone take offense to this? :D

He's a fair enough choice; looking marginally faster than Alonso is more than about 90% of the rest of the grid could probably do.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
oz_karter wrote:
Exediron wrote:
iano wrote:
2. Versappen is Ricciardos team mate, and Max had arguably the best performance of anyone in qualifying. So if Ricciardo's team mate was a regular mortal, than Ricciardo could be considered driver of the week?

I can't see a case for that at all. Verstappen was out-qualified by over a second by Hamilton, and in the wet the Red Bull is not a second slower than the Mercedes. Hamilton had the best qualifying performance, and it wasn't even close.


Are you sure about that?

Horner said they were running very low downforce over the weekend (and this is supported by Ricciardo's trap speeds).

Low downforce is a major disadvantage in the wet.

The Mercedes is always running high downforce because that mighty engine still gets them down the straights at a reasonable clip.

I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it out to be.

With that logic Ferrari should have been on pole because they ran more down force than Mercedes, what you say is normally the case but for some reason Monza was an anomaly.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
Exediron wrote:
mds wrote:
Well, for the first time, I gave a vote to Vandoorne.

Anyone take offense to this? :D

He's a fair enough choice; looking marginally faster than Alonso is more than about 90% of the rest of the grid could probably do.

Although Alonso backed off on his last lap in case he knocked Vandoorne out of Q3.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rogerek, sandman1347, TheGiantHogweed and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group