planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:34 pm 

Chaincase will be here soon. :-P

On the barcode, it originated from a similar design on a BRM in 1972 and evolved from there. McLaren used a barcode in place of where Marlboro was usually in 1988 and Silverstone 1991, Ferrari in Germany 1993 as well.

It wasn't so much subliminal advertising but more brand association because of the use of the barcode design previously so was removed by Ferrari when pressure started to grow about it contravening the EU directive.

http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/e ... 011.043448

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4110/503 ... 8cc95a.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:40 pm 

This pic surprised me a bit as it was during a GP event (Monza last weekend)...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:44 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
No it isn't. It's about the Marlboro contract being extended.

Well I could have fooled me! :lol:
Fiki wrote:
So... how do they gain exposure, if not by subliminal advertising?

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:59 pm 

People aren't using subliminal correctly.

Marlboro weren't subliminally advertising with the barcode. The barcode was a Marlboro logo in an attempt to circumvent the anti-tobacco rules. The barcode probably won't mean much to the average man on the street, but it wasn't aimed at him, it was aimed at F1 viewers who knew exactly what the logo was replacing.

It's similar to the 'Scuderia' logo that appears on the Ferrari now. It's not a coincidence that the logo is designed as it is given who the team's main backer is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:17 pm 

Fiki wrote:

I don't think being a Ferrari sponsor is about exposure; it's about prestige. You look at UPS or Shell - do you really think there's anyone out there who'd never heard of those companies before watching F1? Not likely. But there are people who will - consciously or subconsciously - consider them more premium because of their association with a super-premium brand like Ferrari. That's where the advertising makes a difference. Companies at that level are well beyond brand awareness and exposure; they've reached a cliff on both of those long ago, and they'll happily pay for image at this point.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:07 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Fiki wrote:

I don't think being a Ferrari sponsor is about exposure; it's about prestige. You look at UPS or Shell - do you really think there's anyone out there who'd never heard of those companies before watching F1? Not likely. But there are people who will - consciously or subconsciously - consider them more premium because of their association with a super-premium brand like Ferrari. That's where the advertising makes a difference. Companies at that level are well beyond brand awareness and exposure; they've reached a cliff on both of those long ago, and they'll happily pay for image at this point.
But if that were true, then the Ferraris would be running around in only their red bodywork. Instead, every sponsor can be seen on the livery. Except, at least to the casual observer, Marlboro.

A further reason why I don't really believe it is enough for a company to be merely known to be associated with the team, is the fact that, ostensibly, Ferrari themselves seem to be so eager to be known to be in F1, they see a need to advertise the fact with a very great team logo!

I could almost follow your reasoning if we were only aware of Ducati trying to create a greater awareness about its MotoGP team. But the similarity between its and Ferrari's logos argues against that being the grounds for their presence.

GingerFurball, could you propose a better word than subiliminal? Part of the reason I use it, is that this is the term that was used on Autosport, at the time when Ferrari went from a plane white square to a red square outlined in white, trying hard to reconcile the need to advertise and the need not to be seen to advertise.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:23 pm 

I don't normally get to watch the interviews post-qualifying, but in one of the shots I saw the "Ferrari logo" displayed on their steering wheel screen. They really don't waste any opportunity to advertise! If not subliminal, it definitely verges on the sublime. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:03 pm 

Oh no! A Ferrari logo on the steering wheel screen.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:08 pm 

Exediron wrote:
If so, I'd say they're wasting their money. Everybody still associates them with a car that hasn't carried their livery for two decades, not Ferrari.

I don't. As someone who started watching F1 in 1996 Marlboro will always be associated with Ferrari for me. I speculate that I'm not the only one

FA#14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:19 pm 

Blake wrote:
Oh no! A Ferrari logo on the steering wheel screen.
I think you forgot another exclamation mark after screen. ;)

The reason it struck me, Blake, is that I had never seen that before. Of course I remember the old type of steering wheels with their logo on it. That would be there all the time. This one isn't.
Would you mind telling me why you think the 'proper' Ferrari logo is now incorporated in a red and white large one?