planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:11 pm 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13168 ... low-jersey

I very much doubt that this will make the halo more appealing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:14 pm 

Don't like the idea of all the halos being the same colour (other than this one obviously).

Surely they should match the livery of the car, or if that makes seeing the drivers difficult they should be designed the same as the helmet of the driver.

Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:27 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Don't like the idea of all the halos being he same colour (other than this one obviously).

Surely they should match the livery of the car, or if that makes seeing the drivers difficult they should be designed the same as the helmet of the driver.

yeah, it's just more unnecessary FIA interference

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:30 pm 

Would it have been fluorescent yellow for the entirety of 2009?

FA#14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:35 pm 

I just don't like the halo device. I think it's unnecessary and actually brings more negatives than positives. I think Jules' death was tragic but this device would not have prevented it and ultimately, when you have more than 2 decades between deaths, that's pretty damn good for any motor racing series.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:41 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Would it have been fluorescent yellow for the entirety of 2009?

Isn't the person who wears it based on who wins the last stage, not who's leading the title race?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:51 pm 

Not so actually "the leader of the general classification wears the yellow jersey", but who knows the interpretation to be put on the F1 version.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:01 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Not so actually "the leader of the general classification wears the yellow jersey", but who knows the interpretation to be put on the F1 version.

Ah ok fair enough. Shows how much I know about cycling!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:13 pm 

Better if they were white on the one car and yellow on the other so you can see at a glance which driver is in the car. As they were on cameras

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:05 pm 

Since the champion no longer drives with the #1 on their car, maybe they can just give the defending champion the golden halo (wow, that sounds so ridiculous to say out loud).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:13 pm 

Its actually embarrassing that this is a thing that the FIA believe would go down as good PR.

Shows how disillusioned with the fans and sport they are.

Grand Prixs on bucket list...
Canada * Mexico * Japan * Germany

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:18 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Since the champion no longer drives with the #1 on their car, maybe they can just give the defending champion the golden halo (wow, that sounds so ridiculous to say out loud).

The reigning champion does get the option to run the #1, Hamilton chooses not to but personally I think future history will show him to be unusual in that. Vettel would use the #1 next year for example and I think most others would too. You probably already know that but just adding to your point.

I don't mind the idea of having a different Halo for the champion but that would require all others not be that, which I don't like. If halos were designed in the colour of the drivers helmet for instance and a driver came into F1 with a gold helmet that would take away from the idea of the champions Halo being gold.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:34 pm 

While we are at it, lets also introduce the Polka dot Halo for the driver with more overtakes as the season progresses. In cycling is given to the best climber, in F1 would be the best "position climber", we can also give the green halo to the one with most passes in the first lap! What an amazing idea.........NOT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:35 pm 

The most alarming element of this is the idea that the Halos could all be one colour with the exception of one. I'm trying my best to reserve judgement on the Halo until I see an F1 car that has been designed with the device integrated, both into the chassis and in terms of the livery. If the teams don't have that option on the latter then that's a very bad decision.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:40 pm 

How about a flashing Blue Light on the top of the air box?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:19 pm 

mmi16 wrote:
How about a flashing Blue Light on the top of the air box?

So lapped cars pull over and show their licence?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:47 pm 

This is not the Tour de France. I do not watch it, have any interest, nor enjoy such a color/jersey scheme.

IMO the halo should be a very unobtrusive color, not make it stand out. Like many, I agree that the aesthetics of the halo do not contribute to the car, instead it uglifies it.

If the FIA and Formula One wish to take some else's idea, how about what Indycar or IMSA do, have a number display, so it is instantly recognizable where the car is in relation to the leader.

And if they really want to identify the driver leading in the points, then they should also identify the manufacturer also leading in the points. Maybe paint a golden border around the driver's name, or something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:11 pm 

Its one of those ideas that sounds fair enough before you delve into the detail. As it is, wholly unneeded, and given how rectally challenged the FIA get about liveries being identical on the cars and stuff, it kinda goes against that to start putting different coloured pieces on the cars that make them look that different (I know the T-Cams used to be different colours, but that was a lot more minor than what the halo is going to be)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:16 pm 

I don't really care either way. It seems mostly pointless to me. The upsides and the downsides of changing the colour of the halo of the WDC leader is very minor in my eyes. I would have to think though, most people who are at a Grand Prix are going to know who the WDC leader is. And if you are watching on TV, chances are that it will come up there as well. It really doesn't add anything, imo, and I suppose it is a little bit more hassle for the engineers so I guess I'm very minorly against the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:39 pm 

The best thing they can do initially is let teams do what they like with Halo to make it look/feel/act less like an enforced bolt on.

If they want to make the cars more recognisable they should enforce larger clearer and more standardised numbering on the cars. The World Endurance Championship does a pretty good job with this. If you wanted you could have a special colour scheme on the number marking to denote the championship leader.

I think part of the reason a close association between a driver and their (now permanent as long as they are in F1) number hasn't taken off the way it has in some sports is simply that the number isn't prominent enough on the car itself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:44 pm 

Terrible idea. If they want the championship leader to be obvious, force them to put the #1 back on the car. Imagine how hideous that yellow halo will look on some color schemes. x(

This seems like another terrible, ill-thought out knee-jerk idea from the FIA to chase the 'casual fans'. It underscores that they have no ******* clue what to do to make F1 better, so they're just going to throw all sorts of ****** schemes at the wall and hope one of them sticks. This would do ****-all to help anything about F1, and just make it look silly.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:10 am 

PRFAN wrote:
While we are at it, lets also introduce the Polka dot Halo for the driver with more overtakes as the season progresses. In cycling is given to the best climber, in F1 would be the best "position climber", we can also give the green halo to the one with most passes in the first lap! What an amazing idea.........NOT

Well the TDF has a "Most combative" criteria that'd suit the most passes down to the ground. Maybe a red halo for that?

I think green, given its for the best sprinter,should belong to the driver who has the most points for pole positions and fastest laps combined. 2 points for pole, 1 point for fastest lap.

I'm just lovin this amazing halo concept more and more everyday :(

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:43 am 

Go for broke; integrate coloured LEDs into the halo device. Imagine the possibilities (along with the opportunities for further confusion).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:45 pm 

Yes, lets bring even more attention to the hideous Halos by painting one of them bright yellow :uhoh:

Podiums: 11
2017 Championship Standing: Don't look, it's hideous!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:48 pm 

specdecible wrote:
Yes, lets bring even more attention to the hideous Halos by painting one of them bright yellow :uhoh:

:-((

Yes, they are hideous.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 am 

How about they wear yellow thongs (flip flops ) up on the podium and for press events to promote the awesome "Halo " even more .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:29 am 

Well, seeing as we have to have these things, I think they ought to be whichever colour each driver deems to be the least distracting.

Who wants a bright yellow halo and upright stuck right in front of their face?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:52 am 

This seems a bit silly to me. Why the need to imitate another sporting competition? Formula 1 should be forming its own identity.

Next they'll be dishing out yellow cards.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:49 am 

Argentum wrote:
Well, seeing as we have to have these things, I think they ought to be whichever colour each driver deems to be the least distracting.

Who wants a bright yellow halo and upright stuck right in front of their face?

Well it can be bright yellow on top for fan visibility and whatever they want underneath for lack of distraction, they're not mutually exclusive

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:14 am 

Doesn't Hamilton wear a predominately Yellow helmet now?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:30 pm 

This strikes me as an idea that's both silly and somewhat patronising. I'm sure that everybody can keep track of who the championship leader is in the usual way, by checking the points tables. There's no need for a flashy yellow halo, and that's not even getting into how much that'll draw attention to the thing (which, really, is best not done).

Hopefully this is just talk and the halos will all match the livery of the car instead.

Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 6 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:38 pm 

Remmirath wrote:
This strikes me as an idea that's both silly and somewhat patronising. I'm sure that everybody can keep track of who the championship leader is in the usual way, by checking the points tables. There's no need for a flashy yellow halo, and that's not even getting into how much that'll draw attention to the thing (which, really, is best not done).

Hopefully this is just talk and the halos will all match the livery of the car instead.

Playing devil's advocate here, (I'm not for this idea by the way), us cycling fans can recognise who's leading cycle races without the need for a specific jersey.

To me it's just an idea to get people talking. It will probably lead to some other idea for something or other!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:35 pm 

How come the halo won out over the screen?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:12 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
How come the halo won out over the screen?

https://youtu.be/AYkGjUHstKY

This explains it fully, long video but you'll get the outline of the reasons why the halo was chosen by 5 mins in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:14 pm 

Dreadful idea.

Unless of course they could make it that weird green colour that doesn't show up on tv? Then it's like it's not even there :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:05 am 

Yellowbin74 wrote:
Dreadful idea.

Unless of course they could make it that weird green colour that doesn't show up on tv? Then it's like it's not even there :)

But only if you are watching on TV - in the REAL WORLD it is still there.