planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:09 pm 

I was reading about dani pedrosa struggling to get heat into his michelin wet tyres at the weekend. He was lapping in the 1m 54s and just had no grip and there was nothing he could do. as the track dried a little he was able to switch the tyres on and straight away was down to 1m 48s. Now although he is no marques/rossi, he is considered one of the aliens and on his day can be untouchable. it got me thinking if tyres have too much of an influence on drivers/riders and their perceived ability. pedrosa is extremely talented and probably more so then most riders who made him look amateur in that race. Are modern tyres getting more fickle? there seems to be more occasions like this then i remember before.

i certainly dont remember f1 drivers having such problems in the 90s and early 2000s. maybe we just didnt hear about it as much. this year i know the pirellis are too hard and weve had many teams and top drivers who cant get them working. when we talk about god given ability then part of it is to get the best out of the tyres yes. but my feeling is that some drivers/riders will have a natural advantage because of their style, but that doesnt necessarily mean they have more talent behind the wheel or handlebars.

so the question is do you think there is too much emphasis and influence from the tyres, especially getting them up to temperature? or is it purely a critical area that the most talented drivers/riders will make work the best. because as is clear, if you cant get in the window you can be made to look, well, s****.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:22 pm 

In a word, yes. I agfree the tyres may favour some drivers' own styles, but that's often more luck than judgement. I think they do have far too great an influence on today's racing