planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:07 am 

Riiiight, so there is more to this than we were getting.

So it now makes sense for Mclaren to go with Renault, as Renault have announced they WILL NO BE SUPPLYING Red Bull after this year.

A whole different game now

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 am 

moby wrote:

So it now makes sense for Mclaren to go with Renault, as Renault have announced they WILL NO BE SUPPLYING Red Bull after this year.

You got a link to that? The report I've seen says after next year - i.e. after the 2018 season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 am 

Herb wrote:
moby wrote:

You got a link to that? The report I've seen says after next year - i.e. after the 2018 season.

You are right, I have jumped the gun it says --Renault are reportedly set to end their engine deal with Red Bull, informing the former champions that they will not supply them once their current contract expires.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-to-split-with-red-bull-report/

but mail says next year.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-4883082/Renault-terminate-contract-Red-Bull.html

Renault have told Red Bull that they want to terminate their contract with them from the end of next season, throwing the driver market into flux.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 am 

moby wrote:
Herb wrote:
moby wrote:

You are right, I have jumped the gun it says --Renault are reportedly set to end their engine deal with Red Bull, informing the former champions that they will not supply them once their current contract expires.

but mail says next year.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-4883082/Renault-terminate-contract-Red-Bull.html

Renault have told Red Bull that they want to terminate their contract with them from the end of next season, throwing the driver market into flux.

I saw the same on the BBC News gossip, but that often picks up things that are no more than rumour. Think I'll wait for more reliable sources than DM & PF1.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:48 am 

Herb wrote:
moby wrote:
Herb wrote:
moby wrote:

but mail says next year.

I saw the same on the BBC News gossip, but that often picks up things that are no more than rumour. Think I'll wait for more reliable sources than DM & PF1.

Tobi Grüner has it on his twitter (AMUS) and Scarbs is re-tweeting it. It is also on Sport Mail

Does not make it fact, but it is from several sources.

But you are right, best calm down and wait :]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:52 am 

moby wrote:
Herb wrote:
moby wrote:
Herb wrote:
moby wrote:

but mail says next year.

Tobi Grüner has it on his twitter (AMUS) and Scarbs is re-tweeting it. It is also on Sport Mail

Does not make it fact, but it is from several sources.

But you are right, best calm down and wait :]

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire! ;)

I feel this may well tie in with the Porsche rumours - perhaps via Honda for a couple of years?

PS: It's on Motorsport.com now:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... 19-952699/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:37 am 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro ... /?tp=2&s=1

Toro Rosso agrees three-year Honda deal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:23 pm 

Renault is basically kicking rbr out the door. I guess they cant be too pleased that rbr is basically sizing them up with Honda in hope to switch in the future. So renault is basically saying "Enough is enough. You have publicly thrashed us for years...So now we decided Honda will be your only option"
I wonder if the Sainz deal will go through now. Rbr might want to pull him back. Crazy stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:27 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Renault is basically kicking rbr out the door. I guess they cant be too pleased that rbr is basically sizing them up with Honda in hope to switch in the future. So renault is basically saying "Enough is enough. You have publicly thrashed us for years...So now we decided Honda will be your only option"
I wonder if the Sainz deal will go through now. Rbr might want to pull him back. Crazy stuff.

There is still the chance that Honda want their own driver as part of the deal. I know they said they would not 'chose' the drivers for STR, but maybe they could 'influence' the choice with sponsorship.
A Japanese speaking driver would be looked on well from the engineers. As much can be learned by inflection as by what is actually said in many cases.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:36 pm 

moby wrote:
kleefton wrote:

There is still the chance that Honda want their own driver as part of the deal. I know they said they would not 'chose' the drivers for STR, but maybe they could 'influence' the choice with sponsorship.
A Japanese speaking driver would be looked on well from the engineers. As much can be learned by inflection as by what is actually said in many cases.

When this was first reported it was mentioned a japanese driver would have the seat, but then now i hear its Gasly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:22 pm 

kleefton wrote:
moby wrote:
kleefton wrote:

When this was first reported it was mentioned a japanese driver would have the seat, but then now i hear its Gasly.

Plus none of their European based Japanese drivers will have enough F1 super license points.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:44 pm 

pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
moby wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Plus none of their European based Japanese drivers will have enough F1 super license points.

'completed 300 kilometres of testing at racing speeds in a current car' should be no problem if they own the team (even with a Honda engine :twisted: )

Is that rule still in?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:28 pm 

moby wrote:
pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
moby wrote:
kleefton wrote:

'completed 300 kilometres of testing at racing speeds in a current car' should be no problem if they own the team (even with a Honda engine :twisted: )

Is that rule still in?

I don't believe it is, and if it is then you might as well throw the points system in the bin.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:31 pm 

Herb wrote:

It's not that big a surprise. Journalists like Joe Saward were talking last week about the possibility of RBR buying Honda engines in 2019.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/09 ... eculation/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 pm 

moby wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Honda are in no position to demand anything.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:19 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
moby wrote:
kleefton wrote:

With the Red Bull-Renault fallout I'd actually say they're in a better position than we first thought.

Red Bull don't really have any other choice but Honda. That said, I doubt Honda will attempt to influence Toro Rosso's lineup, they don't seem to care about it too much judging from what they said and they don't really have a star lined up for an F1 drive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:17 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
moby wrote:
kleefton wrote:

With the Red Bull-Renault fallout I'd actually say they're in a better position than we first thought.

Red Bull don't really have any other choice but Honda. That said, I doubt Honda will attempt to influence Toro Rosso's lineup, they don't seem to care about it too much judging from what they said and they don't really have a star lined up for an F1 drive.

Also, 100million is a good persuader

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:41 am 

Now is actually official:

Last edited by Herb on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:42 am 

And the Renault Annoucnement:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:46 am 

Soon...Alonso announcement!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:51 am 

Also confirmed Sainz to Renault next season on loan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 am 

moby wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
moby wrote:
kleefton wrote:

I heard it will be more like $40M because Honda don't see STR as being a top team.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:28 am 

pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
moby wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Fukuzumi might by the end of the season. Unlikely though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:36 am 

pokerman wrote:
moby wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
moby wrote:

I heard it will be more like $40M because Honda don't see STR as being a top team.

Well, the Honda engine is a 3rd rate lump so they should fit right in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:45 am 

Finally, the news is official. I am so happy. Overjoyed. Actually beyond overjoyed. Watching McLaren go down the drain, weighted down by the feckless Honda engine, has been the second worst experience I have ever had with Formula One. How Honda lost their technical chops is truly a mystery. I know they were a failure as a works team, but that didn't prevent me from having a lot of hope once the new McLaren Honda team was announced. That hope was promptly dashed as it quickly became apparent that their new engine was neither quick or reliable. It was down, down, down, down from there.

Now the 2018 season looks to be most interesting! McLaren have a lot to prove now. I'll be watching them with great interest.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:47 am 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Finally, the news is official. I am so happy. Overjoyed. Actually beyond overjoyed. Watching McLaren go down the drain, weighted down by the feckless Honda engine, has been the second worst experience I have ever had with Formula One. How Honda lost their technical chops is truly a mystery. I know they were a failure as a works team, but that didn't prevent me from having a lot of hope once the new McLaren Honda team was announced. That hope was promptly dashed as it quickly became apparent that their new engine was neither quick or reliable. It was down, down, down, down from there.

Now the 2018 season looks to be most interesting! McLaren have a lot to prove now. I'll be watching them with great interest.

Man this was too important for you :)))

let's hope you are right on this one and it is a good step.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:50 am 

paul_gmb wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Man this was too important for you :)))

let's hope you are right on this one and it is a good step.

Everyone has a favorite sports team, right? I had coworkers who were die hard Chicago Cub fans and they took every loss brutally hard. I've followed McLaren since Nikki Lauda's championship and so have a strong connection to them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:51 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
moby wrote:
kleefton wrote:

I believe he's on six points right now (3 from GP3 last year and 3 from F3 in Japan the year prior) so he's not going to get to 40 points this year. Thankfully, Sean Gelael is also nowhere near having enough, and it is unlikely (though not mathematically impossible) that Matsushita will reach 40 either. So it'll be Gasly that gets the seat, because even if there was someone out there who isn't currently part of a young driver programme and who would have the Superlicense points to race in F1 next year, they wouldn't represent a better option than Gasly.

They definitely need to restock their junior programme, though. I'd assume Matsushita and Fukuzumi will become part of it, if not officially then because of their Honda affiliation, and Gelael too as he obviously brings some decent $$$. Even then it's still pretty weak compared to a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:55 am 

I am one of those that supported Mclaren an honda to stay together.
Now that the break up is official, while i am diasapointed, i am releived. Now i hope we can all move on and hopefully all the negativity can stop at mclaren.
They know what PU they have this year. Stop complaining and focus energy tokeep developing the car for next year

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:56 am 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:

I believe he's on six points right now (3 from GP3 last year and 3 from F3 in Japan the year prior) so he's not going to get to 40 points this year. Thankfully, Sean Gelael is also nowhere near having enough, and it is unlikely (though not mathematically impossible) that Matsushita will reach 40 either. So it'll be Gasly that gets the seat, because even if there was someone out there who isn't currently part of a young driver programme and who would have the Superlicense points to race in F1 next year, they wouldn't represent a better option than Gasly.

They definitely need to restock their junior programme, though. I'd assume Matsushita and Fukuzumi will become part of it, if not officially then because of their Honda affiliation, and Gelael too as he obviously brings some decent $$$. Even then it's still pretty weak compared to a few years ago.

Wouldn't a second place in GP3 this season do it for Fukuzumi? Unlikely but far from impossible.

EDIT - Turns out not! The FIA have changed the points allocation so now GP3 is worth less than F3. Obviously another series they are trying to kill off.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:44 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:

I have found your constant put-down of Honda to be a bit grating but, now this deal is done, should McLaren make a significant step forward I'll happily concede to that.
I'm not the biggest fan of Alonso (don't get me wrong, I like him) but he is a talent that deserves so much better than to be languishing towards the wrong end of the field.
Fingers crossed as well for STR and Honda - I still hope that Honda comes good, at the same time hoping that the announced split does not backfire on McLaren!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:50 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

I have found your constant put-down of Honda to be a bit grating but, now this deal is done, should McLaren make a significant step forward I'll happily concede to that.
I'm not the biggest fan of Alonso (don't get me wrong, I like him) but he is a talent that deserves so much better than to be languishing towards the wrong end of the field.
Fingers crossed as well for STR and Honda - I still hope that Honda comes good, at the same time hoping that the announced split does not backfire on McLaren!

Should Honda continue to swirl the drain with Torro Rosso, you wont hear me beating them down next year. I dont care much about that team and so have no emotional attachment.

Should Honda pull it all together and make their engine finally work, then good for Torro Rosso and Honda. F1 will be better off with their success.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:26 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Should Honda continue to swirl the drain with Torro Rosso, you wont hear me beating them down next year.

https://giphy.com/gifs/celebration-will ... fm7dmGqxfa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
pokerman wrote:
moby wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

Well, the Honda engine is a 3rd rate lump so they should fit right in.

Well I think that's probably the idea?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:06 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
moby wrote:

It's interesting that Honda are talking about Gasly like he's one of their drivers because he's racing a Honda powered car in the Japan Super Formula series and doing quite well at that, he's the leading Honda driver and lies second in the series, even more impressive given that the Honda engine is weaker than the Toyota engine, I guess you could say on that score so what's new? :)

So a Red Bull sponsored driver who's presently competing with Honda joins the Honda powered Red Bull F1 junior team, that's a nice fit for all concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:10 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:

Wouldn't a second place in GP3 this season do it for Fukuzumi? Unlikely but far from impossible.

EDIT - Turns out not! The FIA have changed the points allocation so now GP3 is worth less than F3. Obviously another series they are trying to kill off.

Yes there was talk of merging F3 with GP3 and then just having F3 so you have the less confusing F1-F2-F3 ladder, I believe the GP moniker was owned by Bernie and the previous owners and now that can basically be kicked into touch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:39 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Yes there was talk of merging F3 with GP3 and then just having F3 so you have the less confusing F1-F2-F3 ladder, I believe the GP moniker was owned by Bernie and the previous owners and now that can basically be kicked into touch.

Doesn't there have to be some kind of pyramid though? otherwise every F3 driver would have to make it to F2 just to fill the numbers. Really there should be numerous divisions lower than F2 with the cream pouring in but the rest left by the wayside.

And F2 needs to be much cheaper if they want to position it as the only way into F1. At the moment you need backing to be an F2 driver let alone an F1 driver.